Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Apr 2019, 08:15 (Ref:3899115)   #1401
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Going back to the topic of the thread , when I came back from Spain the Portsmouth Customs were searching every truck, which I’ve never seen before. As usual they lost concentration when they saw the contents of mine.....
Old 23 Apr 2019, 08:44 (Ref:3899118)   #1402
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
If they asked how many pesetas you had in your pockets, sure they are very knowledgeable officers!
Old 23 Apr 2019, 08:58 (Ref:3899122)   #1403
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Going back to the topic of the thread , when I came back from Spain the Portsmouth Customs were searching every truck, which I’ve never seen before. As usual they lost concentration when they saw the contents of mine.....

Going back to the past, I think that certain members of the motor racing fraternity relied on that happening when they tried to pass through Customs.
Old 23 Apr 2019, 09:54 (Ref:3899132)   #1404
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Going back to the past, I think that certain members of the motor racing fraternity relied on that happening when they tried to pass through Customs.
From stories I've read, that definitely was the case! Given comments during the ‘search’, I don’t think it was stowaways they were looking for, either. Luckily I was one of the first off the boat, so guess those last to join the queue would have had quite a wait.....
Old 26 Apr 2019, 05:47 (Ref:3899690)   #1405
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
So taking stock, where are we now? I gather our elected are back and hard at work, but there is some concern (according to the Beeb this morn) for their mental health. Apparently the stress is getting to some.....
Old 26 Apr 2019, 07:46 (Ref:3899716)   #1406
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Concern for their mental health? We should open a # like "bring a shrink" for all politicians. Or: free the lions and put the real crazy people in cage! I guess next step in France will be something like "lets have a Frexit based on the Brexit rules and results! Bonne chance with that!
Old 26 Apr 2019, 09:24 (Ref:3899731)   #1407
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
France is looking good for a retired racer's base again; Nice M Macron has promised lower taxes, increased pensions, and the workers (if you can find any) are going to have to work harder. Utopia?
Old 26 Apr 2019, 10:45 (Ref:3899745)   #1408
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
France is looking good for a retired racer's base again; Nice M Macron has promised lower taxes, increased pensions, and the workers (if you can find any) are going to have to work harder. Utopia?
I think I saw headline in a UK newsprint wasting publication today that suggested the UK was heading in the other direction.

No more free TV licence for the over 75s and older person's bus passes canned for example.

I think it's time to be completely honest with the millennials and point out that the western style pension system is completely unsupportable 'going forward' (I think that's how they speak isn't it?) and so they can expect to work until they drop - probably achieving little more than growing just enough food to support themselves and their family once our mad politicians have adopted the policies defined by Extinction Rebellion.

No way would anything as noxious as motor sport survive the transformation and in fact almost anything to to with transportation of good will likely be working with far smaller volumes and to different protectionist rules.

However if personal trackers are widely implemented even the old time creativity of smuggling will be challenged to come up with full proof cloaking devices although the, er, 'management' of the payments required to operate without interference are likely to be payable to Beijing rather than Westminster.

That said the two above named places may, in effect, be under the same ownership by the time any of this matters.

So should one attempt to learn French or Mandarin?
Old 26 Apr 2019, 11:14 (Ref:3899750)   #1409
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Think the House of Lords came up with ‘get rid of pensioners perks’ yesterday, which is how I saw it reported!

So France it is, then. I already have a gilet jaune, so am sorted!
Old 26 Apr 2019, 11:18 (Ref:3899751)   #1410
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Spot on, David! Workers are missing as you say and if you want to meet a wise French retired you've better go to Spain, Portugal or Morocco! Remember Aznavour's song? Il me semble que la misère serait moins pénible au soleil!
Old 26 Apr 2019, 11:21 (Ref:3899753)   #1411
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Think the House of Lords came up with ‘get rid of pensioners perks’ yesterday, which is how I saw it reported!

So France it is, then. I already have a gilet jaune, so am sorted!

I would happily agree with that if it was applied to the House for Frauds.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 11:21 (Ref:3899754)   #1412
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
On a slightly more serious note, I read today that the Guardian is decrying Free Movement of People because Romania is short of doctors and nurses. Apparently they've gone to places that pay more.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 11:25 (Ref:3899758)   #1413
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
On a slightly more serious note, I read today that the Guardian is decrying Free Movement of People because Romania is short of doctors and nurses. Apparently they've gone to places that pay more.

It seems like many people, no matter what their careers path, do the same thing.

That said I expect that doctors able to communicate in certain languages may command higher than usual rates to work in the UK and a few other countries.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 11:47 (Ref:3899766)   #1414
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The irony is obviously too deep. The Guardian complains often enough that the NHS is suffering a crisis due to brexit.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 12:14 (Ref:3899776)   #1415
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have a gilet jaune, a gilet rose and a gilet orange so I should be sorted no matter who does the protesting!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 26 Apr 2019, 12:17 (Ref:3899778)   #1416
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I have a gilet jaune, a gilet rose and a gilet orange so I should be sorted no matter who does the protesting!
Show off!
Old 26 Apr 2019, 13:29 (Ref:3899791)   #1417
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Geraint Thomas has a maillot jeune!
Old 26 Apr 2019, 16:11 (Ref:3899817)   #1418
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
The irony is obviously too deep. The Guardian complains often enough that the NHS is suffering a crisis due to brexit.

Well yes, but that is to be expected from the Guardian.

They just get the logic for the claim wrong - usually reversed it seems to me.

Like their use of the word 'austerity'.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 17:32 (Ref:3899832)   #1419
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Midget, just out of my curiosity what is the exact purpose of you gilet rose? Isn't it called a pyjama in Manchester?

Bauble another great one, thank you! You're a killer, for sure! Todays special at Monna Lisa is spaghetti alla carbonara with pork!
Old 26 Apr 2019, 17:45 (Ref:3899837)   #1420
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post

So should one attempt to learn French or Mandarin?
Pleased to say that grandson aged 12 is learning Mandarin, in an English state academy school. What's more he likes it! Also a nephew has lived and worked in Ningbo, China for many years. Married a local girl etc. Seems our family will be OK to embrace the future, if that's the way it's going.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 18:13 (Ref:3899846)   #1421
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Midget, just out of my curiosity what is the exact purpose of you gilet rose? Isn't it called a pyjama in Manchester?

It's pretty boring actually, all to do with Health and Safety. If we go on track to rescue a kart we have to wear a hi-vis jacket and different kart clubs require different colours.

I got in serious trouble at one track for wearing a yellow, not an orange one. Seriously. A real ticking off and the final line was "you have to wear orange, it's 'elf & safety!" Remember this is to go on track after one race finished and before the next one started, not wander around while they're blasting past.

And people wonder why I get grumpy

Old 26 Apr 2019, 18:28 (Ref:3899851)   #1422
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
It's pretty boring actually, all to do with Health and Safety. If we go on track to rescue a kart we have to wear a hi-vis jacket and different kart clubs require different colours.

I got in serious trouble at one track for wearing a yellow, not an orange one. Seriously. A real ticking off and the final line was "you have to wear orange, it's 'elf & safety!" Remember this is to go on track after one race finished and before the next one started, not wander around while they're blasting past.
Portsmouth Ferry port has always required anyone walking about in the lorry park or between that and the terminal to wear hi-viz. Makes sense, but I forgot once and walked all the way to the customs post within the terminal without. At that point I was given a severe lecture, refused entry, and made to walk back to my truck to retrieve the hi-viz. That made sense.....

Caen/Ouistreham now also requires them to be worn, but maybe to distinguish drivers from the illegals wandering about.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 18:38 (Ref:3899856)   #1423
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
In the case of a protesting migrant wearing a gilet jaune how will they manage?
Old 26 Apr 2019, 20:05 (Ref:3899871)   #1424
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
In the case of a protesting migrant wearing a gilet jaune how will they manage?

Hmm.

What happens if a migrant steals a driver's vest?

Would the driver have to borrow a vest to get to his truck?

Would the thief be deemed to be a driver of the truck?

Someone must have thought of that and authorised the project to research the correct procedure to follow and then document it, have it proof read in 28 languages after translation.

Actually more than 28 languages given the nature of the purpose of the ports.
Old 30 Apr 2019, 22:34 (Ref:3900853)   #1425
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So taking stock, where are we now? I gather our elected are back and hard at work, but there is some concern (according to the Beeb this morn) for their mental health. Apparently the stress is getting to some.....
???? I am only assuming Mike you are referring to the Honorable Members of that bastion of so called democracy, The House of Comedians, work?