Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 16 Jul 2013, 05:29 (Ref:3278224)   #26
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My local outlet has chosen not to continue stocking the magazine due to a lack of patronage...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 16 Jul 2013, 06:07 (Ref:3278230)   #27
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
My local outlet has chosen not to continue stocking the magazine due to a lack of patronage...
That's quite sad actually. Am scared that lack of patronage will cause motorsport mags to close. As much as we all knock them, I'd rather have them than not.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 11:58 (Ref:3279657)   #28
kramer
Racer

kramer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You could write a letter to the editor, but all those made up people and correspondences wouldnt get a run then

They're only made up when they don't get enough real ones. Got something to say? Email them - no point bleating about it here, they won't see it probably.

Kramer
Old 21 Jul 2013, 05:21 (Ref:3279905)   #29
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I'm glad my locals still stock it as where else would I be able to read it and put it back on shelf?
Old 24 Jul 2013, 03:27 (Ref:3281038)   #30
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Interesting that AA is apparently now released on a Thursday, instead of a Wednesday

I guess it gives them an extra day to get all the 'scoops' that are announced to the press on the day the magazine comes out
Talking to a newsagent, the reason is nothing to do with AA specifically, but mag distribution as a whole.

Because of reduction of sales of magazines as a whole, distributors are now cutting back the number of deliveries a week from 3 to 2. So all Wednesday deliveries are now pushed back to Thursdays.
Old 24 Jul 2013, 04:06 (Ref:3281048)   #31
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
Talking to a newsagent, the reason is nothing to do with AA specifically, but mag distribution as a whole.

Because of reduction of sales of magazines as a whole, distributors are now cutting back the number of deliveries a week from 3 to 2. So all Wednesday deliveries are now pushed back to Thursdays.
Why wouldnt the AA online edition continue to be available on Wednesday then? Its not like you would expect an online subscriber to also purchase the paper edition

If they were clever (hahahahaha), this could be a migration to digital strategy opportunity...
Old 26 Jul 2013, 04:18 (Ref:3281709)   #32
Speedwayracer44
Rookie

Speedwayracer44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racerlink is a very good read. Plenty of diverse motorsport action from all around the world and tech info as well.

http://www.x15mag.com/magazine/racerlinkmag15july13/index.html
Old 30 Jul 2013, 04:15 (Ref:3283612)   #33
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Why wouldnt the AA online edition continue to be available on Wednesday then? Its not like you would expect an online subscriber to also purchase the paper edition

If they were clever (hahahahaha), this could be a migration to digital strategy opportunity...
I can't answer that. I can guess and say that they want a standard publish date across all platforms, but that's all.

And while a digital strategy is imperative to success (which is why I'm amazed Motorsport News hasn't embraced one yet) across the board it is not yet a viable stand alone platform. While the tablets might keep readers, the printed copies still make the bulk of the money due to advertising.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 22:13 (Ref:3284406)   #34
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
AA was available yesterday online.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 22:53 (Ref:3284419)   #35
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test View Post
AA was available yesterday online.
I noticed that.. maybe they have been reading here... again
Old 10 Aug 2013, 09:17 (Ref:3287930)   #36
scottrollinson
Rookie

scottrollinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport Podcast

Scott Rollinson and co-host Jason Bright have the motorsport news and are joined in conversation by Formula 1's Daniel Ricciardo and V8 legend Dick Johnson.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/sport/programs/all-torque/
Old 6 Sep 2013, 07:49 (Ref:3299800)   #37
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Meantime, Speedcafe has a new proprietor Here

Old 6 Sep 2013, 08:47 (Ref:3299817)   #38
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who owns/runs it now ever since Grant Rowley went to Nissan as media rep?
Old 6 Sep 2013, 09:27 (Ref:3299830)   #39
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
It seems the young lady is now the proprietor...
Old 6 Sep 2013, 11:30 (Ref:3299860)   #40
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Speedcafe has been a waste of cyberspace since Grant Rowley left.

It has become the Auto Action of Motorsport websites.

Set to become worse under the new öwnership".
Old 10 Sep 2013, 00:07 (Ref:3301258)   #41
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Grant Rowley's role as editor has been taken by Gordon Lomas, who's a very experienced and respected motoring/motorsport journo.

The ownership transition - I still can't tell if Crusher/BAM still have a stake in it.

Will be curious if there is a true separation whether the long list of BAM clients will still be associated with it.
Old 10 Sep 2013, 00:47 (Ref:3301271)   #42
pascofi m-sport
Racer

Australia
pascofi m-sport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my contribution...

magazines...
AutoAction: always a handy once-a-week read.
Motorsport News: even though they merged with MRA, i still buy it. good in-depth articles.
V8X: nothing but wall-to-wall v8's, solid.
Australian Muscle Car: for the nostalgia, and to see some legendary racers (cars and people).
Oval Express: speedway only, top-shelf publication.
occasionally i will buy Autosport (even though it's 2 weeks behind, it's good to read their take on our championship and compare.)

and internet...
Speedcafe: aussie made and owned, nuff said.
Touring Car Times: euro touring car series, but still good viewing
Jayski: NASCAR news, views and rumour (recommend the blog section for more points of view, interesting reading)

i did used to get F1 magazine, but it became monotonous with the same stories

it's a shame they will not do any more Great Race books, as they were a good source of comments from all the drivers at the race.
Old 3 Dec 2013, 04:15 (Ref:3339595)   #43
GtiMagic
Racer

GtiMagic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGtiMagic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where do you get your V8 news?

I notice that most times a story is referenced here on tt's is has a link to Speedcafe where the official V8 website isn't used.

I checked out both the Speedcafe and V8 facebook pages and while there's 31,000 people that "like" Speedcafe, the V8 page has more than 10 times that at 350,000.

Why then do you, me and most people here on tt use Speedcafe? I believe industry people use Speedcafe as their news source - you only have to look at how any drivers tweet about Speedcafe stories etc I wonder if the use of links here suggests that many aliases on tt are actually industry associated people....

I get my information from both but I think the V8 site gets alot of criticism that probably isn't fair. Usually team announcements are first on speedcafe but industry announcements first on V8 supercars.

Had to laugh though that as soon as V8 supercars got John Bowe to do a column Speedcafe got the Enforcer, and now V8 Supercars have Damien White do a column to where he talks about the rules. This one upmanship from them both is good to us the reader - industry based or not.
Old 3 Dec 2013, 06:00 (Ref:3339611)   #44
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't generally think an official series site is a good place to get 'news', as it is hardly impartial reporting (not that i'm saying Speedcafe is always impartial)
Old 3 Dec 2013, 06:05 (Ref:3339613)   #45
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtiMagic View Post
Why then do you, me and most people here on tt use Speedcafe?
In my case, quite simple.
If I signed up for the V8SC newsletter, I assume all I would get is V8SC news, perhaps development series news as well.
The Speedcafe newsletter gives me AGT, F1, drags, rally, Shannons, state series as well as giving me the V8SC guff.
Old 16 Jan 2014, 21:45 (Ref:3354917)   #46
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
It seems Motorsport News has closed!

I heard a rumbling yesterday and Mark Glendenning - ex MN writer who's now with Autosport in US covering Indycar - tweeted about it this morning. Am assuming he would know for sure from his former colleagues.

If true, that's very sad. Our only motorsport monthly is gone.
Old 16 Jan 2014, 22:19 (Ref:3354948)   #47
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
It seems Motorsport News has closed!

I heard a rumbling yesterday and Mark Glendenning - ex MN writer who's now with Autosport in US covering Indycar - tweeted about it this morning. Am assuming he would know for sure from his former colleagues.

If true, that's very sad. Our only motorsport monthly is gone.

Old 16 Jan 2014, 23:20 (Ref:3354969)   #48
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad, but considering recently the quantity of content in the magazine, it seemed to be on the cards.

Unfortunately this came to my attention after I renewed my subscription. better get reimbursed!
Old 17 Jan 2014, 02:25 (Ref:3354999)   #49
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
Very sad, but considering recently the quantity of content in the magazine, it seemed to be on the cards.

Unfortunately this came to my attention after I renewed my subscription. better get reimbursed!
Good luck. I renewed to Speedsport magazine in New Zealand back in 2009/10 at overseas rates and they went bust right after. Out $200 and never got any money back despite promises.

When they folded Motor Racing Australia into MN, that was it for me.
Old 17 Jan 2014, 04:04 (Ref:3355015)   #50
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post

You should do. When they closed the digital version of MN I was offered a refund or to extend my print subscription to the appropriate amount. Would be surprised if they don't do the right thing given they're a large publisher.