Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 May 2022, 07:57 (Ref:4108949)   #76
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ooh kinky.
Old 5 May 2022, 08:55 (Ref:4108952)   #77
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Très percutant, Dave! Je constate avec plaisir que la fréquentation de notre émisphère n'altère en rien tes facultés intellectuelles! Vamos!
Old 5 May 2022, 12:46 (Ref:4108972)   #78
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Dont tell me about, David, each year we bring some food to people who have been waiting since 2004 for a bus to show up after Blanchimont…

And I cant describe my surprise when I had to turn right at Les Combes in septante neuf!! My first thought was "did they wash it at too high of a temperature it is shrinked!" C'est de l'humour wallon, n'est-ce pas…
I love trying to work out your fabulously eccentric posts, but this one has defeated me! I have literally no idea what it means !
Old 5 May 2022, 12:53 (Ref:4108974)   #79
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
After 1978, the corner after Blanchiment was the Bus Stop which then became a chicane. It was orignally on the road from Stavelot to Francorchamps and was indeed the bus stop.

Before 1979, the circuit ran up from Radillon to le combes but turned left slightly to run down to Malmedy.

Hope this helps and Gerard, correct me if I am wrong. I remember the bus stop being just that, but my recollection of the run to Malmedy is a little shaky since I never drove it.
Old 5 May 2022, 16:24 (Ref:4108986)   #80
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
No need to correct Peter, this is perfect. As you say, les Combes was a left hand corner not the chicane we all know which is in fact located a bit lower now.

I raced the old layout in '75 and '76 and I do remember that fast left/right named Masta (re EB joke) specially at night, this track offering a mix of excitement and apprehension for us pure amateurs.

Anyopenroad, nowadays you can drive the old track for some miles but mind you it has been improved and widen since the old days. My poor joke was a reference to the chicane explained by Peter and named "bus stop" for obscure reasons. Just hope nobody has been waiting for a bus there!

The Eau Rouge we call Raidillon has been a lot improved!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhWUaOByGGI
Old 5 May 2022, 16:37 (Ref:4108988)   #81
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Thank you both
Old 9 May 2022, 14:11 (Ref:4109409)   #82
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
Will be there to experience the new spectator arrangements opposite the Endurance pits, perhaps sit in the imposing new grandstand looking down over Eau Rouge and enjoy the racing.
I was at Spa for WEC, and added some comments (with a photography focus) here: https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156793.
Old 9 May 2022, 20:21 (Ref:4109476)   #83
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
I was at Spa for WEC, and added some comments (with a photography focus) here: https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156793.
Thank you. Useful info.
Old 17 May 2022, 18:06 (Ref:4110406)   #84
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Pau Classic Grand Prix (jubilée Jim Clark) this weekend 20/22 May. Informations here: https://www.hvmracing.fr/evenements/...tors-festival/

Nice official poster:https://editionsfricker.com/accueil/...jim-clark.html
Old 4 Jun 2022, 06:17 (Ref:4112783)   #85
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Wish all the best to the 356 team in Burgundy for the Grand Prix de l'Age d'Or. Interesting to see two SLR's competing against each other once more.
Old 4 Jun 2022, 19:09 (Ref:4112854)   #86
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Very unusual, the 356 DNF, hope its only a technical issue.

The two SLR's achieved a very good result, first and second in category (Emberson/Greensall first).
Old 5 Jun 2022, 14:39 (Ref:4112998)   #87
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Taking about Dijon, I know its no gospel but sometimes fun to have a look to the maximum speeds achieved. 188 kph for an FIA Mini sounds good…
Is the Stephens family OK?
Old 5 Jun 2022, 16:18 (Ref:4113007)   #88
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes Stephens family is all ok - I broke the transmission about 30 minutes before the end of the race - not the first time we have broken gearbox or diff at Dijon…
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 5 Jun 2022, 20:30 (Ref:4113074)   #89
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
Yes Stephens family is all ok - I broke the transmission about 30 minutes before the end of the race - not the first time we have broken gearbox or diff at Dijon…
Sorry you had a DNF Will, but your observation is interesting. What aspect makes Dijon harder on the transmission than some other places? Best, Robert
Old 6 Jun 2022, 07:39 (Ref:4113126)   #90
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Glad you're OK Will, sorry for your DNF. I remember you broke your gearbow last year or so during Q and replaced it presto.

Very interesting question asked by Robert. Nothing special at Dijon, just a higher speed in the straight and one long a fast curve (Pouas).
Old 6 Jun 2022, 07:52 (Ref:4113132)   #91
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
Honest answer is we are not really sure….there are long sections where to get a quick (for us anyway!) time we are putting huge loads through transmission, eg quick section after turn 1, hairpin and last bend, we are pretty much flat (and sideways!).

But given we have broken a drive shaft, stripped 1st gear, and lost a tooth out of the crown wheel all at Dijon, and we have only ever had these failures at Dijon, something is clearly happening…or maybe we are just very unlucky!
Mag 7's #60
Old 6 Jun 2022, 09:10 (Ref:4113161)   #92
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Nothing to do with luck, we all know that. May be an acceptable solution would be either renew the transmission components before Dijon or soften the lsd settings just for this track. I remember you use all your speeds including the first one (me too when its a 4 speed gearbox).

What is weird is that we have a lot of issues with the MX gearboxes but only at Magny, the reason being escalading the kerbs constantly and brutaly…
Old 6 Jun 2022, 09:14 (Ref:4113162)   #93
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Would be easy with a conventional arrangment of transmission but I remember your gearbox/cwp is in the same case which acts like a chassis crossmember… Tricky!
Old 6 Jun 2022, 10:20 (Ref:4113175)   #94
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Would be easy with a conventional arrangment of transmission but I remember your gearbox/cwp is in the same case which acts like a chassis crossmember… Tricky!
Sadly yes…not the best design for racing purposes….I wonder if we could get HTPs if we flipped the engine and gearbox round the other way and had a mid-engined 356

Last edited by 356sc; 6 Jun 2022 at 10:39.
Mag 7's #60
Old 6 Jun 2022, 19:09 (Ref:4113298)   #95
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Dare! Did you already test a 904 GTS? This is a fantastic car and the chassis balance is second to none.
Old 8 Jun 2022, 08:00 (Ref:4113492)   #96
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
But given we have broken a drive shaft, stripped 1st gear, and lost a tooth out of the crown wheel all at Dijon, and we have only ever had these failures at Dijon, something is clearly happening…or maybe we are just very unlucky!
Very grippy/abrasive surface combined with Avons? Tyre wear is/was high there, which may be related?
Old 8 Jun 2022, 16:49 (Ref:4113587)   #97
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Group C Entry

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zzasfp9t8...entry.pdf?dl=0

Note also the Matra has been withdrawn because the owner doesn't fancy racing it against modern recreations.
Old 17 Jun 2022, 22:49 (Ref:4116162)   #98
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2022 Goodwood Festival of Speed

Couldnt find a thread for the event so ....

Kicks off on Thursday 23rd June,

Draft entry list published:
https://www.goodwood.com/globalasset...st-17.6.22.pdf

Timetable
Old 18 Jun 2022, 14:36 (Ref:4116236)   #99
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
LE MANS CLASSIC, 30 June/ 4 July

Juste hope someone wil turn off the heat button!
Old 24 Jun 2022, 09:29 (Ref:4116796)   #100
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Summer Classic timing results here: http://roadbook.alkamelsystems.com/
Some rain is expected hope no storm as in F.

Live timing https://livetiming.alkamelsystems.com/spasummerclassic
Caution: you're not free to use the results, see the warning form the time keeper.

Last edited by Gerard C; 24 Jun 2022 at 09:35. Reason: Caution