Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 28 Jul 2001, 19:23 (Ref:123134)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Herbert for Rockingham, Frentzen for Lausitzring?

I have just found this at Autosport.com, and thought it could be of interest, to all you CART fans out there

Johnny Herbert will test next week and could race for Sigma in September

Johnny Herbert is scheduled to make his Champ Car testing debut in his home country at the new Rockingham oval near Corby next week.

In addition, Autosport.com has learned that the Chicago-based Sigma team is close to finalising a sponsorship deal to run Herbert in the Rockingham race in September. Team sources also say they are working on a plan to run recently-sacked Jordan F1 driver Heinz-Harald Frentzen in CART's German debut at Lausitz a week later.

Formula 1 veteran and Le Mans winner Herbert should get behind the wheel of a Dale Coyne-run machine next Tuesday.

Coyne has announced that Alex Barron will test his 2000-spec Lola-Ford at Rockingham Speedway on July 31. If Barron's test works out as planned, Coyne said Herbert will take his first oval track laps in a Champ Car at the Corby facility.

"We are very excited about being able to get Alex back into circulation after the superior job he did for us at the end of last year," said Coyne. "The ability to also provide this historic first running for Johnny Herbert in a Champ Car is also something I am very proud to offer."

Coyne's currently idle team will then run Barron for a day at Euromotorspeedway in Lausitz, Germany, and will then share the information gleaned at the two new oval venues with all of the other Champ Car teams. The test is being officially sanctioned by CART.

Coyne merged his team merged with Team PRG earlier this season and ran cars for Michael Krumm and Luiz Garcia Jr. But the Coyne cars have not been seen on a Champ Car grid since they qualified for the aborted Texas race in April. Coyne had hoped to run Barron for a full CART campaign after the American showed very well in the last couple of races of the 2000 season.

"I appreciate the opportunity that Dale has given me last year and again now," said Barron. "It will be good to be back in a Champ Car after our successful finish to last year."

Coyne said that in an agreement with CART, his team will provide a full engineering report that will be made available to all the teams. He added that by running a 2000-spec chassis and engine, no one would gain an unfair advantage from the data.
Old 28 Jul 2001, 21:11 (Ref:123146)   #2
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very interesting, thanks for the info. Let's hope it happens!
Old 28 Jul 2001, 21:58 (Ref:123158)   #3
jamie928
Rookie

jamie928 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am I the only person thinking that maybe JH and HHF should get a little seat time before cutting their teeth in a Champcar on high speed ovals?
Old 29 Jul 2001, 17:31 (Ref:123434)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't believe this could be true. It sounds like a Public Relations Fantasy to me. Neither of these men have ever raced on ovals, particularly on high-speed ovals, these are both brand new tracks that are trying to attract first-time crowds who have never seen top-speed oval racing in person, and the last thing anybody would want is to put inexperienced people behind the wheels of midpack cars in a situation that at best could not show them off at their best and at worst - well, I will let you think of what the worst case would be but it would not be pretty.

IMO if they want to use these two pilots to promote Champ Cars, that is wonderful and perhaps they could give them PR jobs or allow them to drive a lap at speed like they did Nige ... and keep them out of cars that they do not understand or know how to drive, because for sure it would put everyone out there at serious risk.
Old 29 Jul 2001, 19:29 (Ref:123472)   #5
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see your point, Liz, and must say you have swayed my opinion. My initial reaction was based on emotion and the desire to see these two fine drivers get a top ride again. After reading your post, I can only say that you are absolutely right.
Old 30 Jul 2001, 14:44 (Ref:123813)   #6
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Forget about Herbert, get Nige into the car!!!

It would be great. Former (1993) CART champion to race against the cream of the 21st century. Even though he is near 50, I'm sure the 'old man' could give them a run for their money if he got some track time!!

But he may be too fat and heavy!!! (Don't worry, I was a big Nigel fan too so no-one take offence please.)

Imagine this headline:

Nigel Mansell wins inaugaral race at Rockingham 2001

Old 30 Jul 2001, 18:07 (Ref:123886)   #7
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mansell - no!

Herbert - yes

HHF - no (does nothing for me)

Barron - yes
Old 30 Jul 2001, 20:32 (Ref:123988)   #8
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Herbie's testing Brand X Racing cars too. Wants to go to the Big Roundy Roundy Race, I hear.
Old 31 Jul 2001, 13:16 (Ref:124323)   #9
massifheed
Racer

massifheed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Big Johnny Herbert is suppose to be at Rockingham today and yesterday. Of course, for some reason, there is a total press blackout and not a word is to be heard about it on any website that I have looked at. I have faith in the guy tho, he will do well. Just a ***** that we will have to wait ages before we find out how it went.
Old 31 Jul 2001, 14:38 (Ref:124366)   #10
domaza
Racer

domaza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by massifheed
Well, Big Johnny Herbert is suppose to be at Rockingham today and yesterday. Of course, for some reason, there is a total press blackout and not a word is to be heard about it on any website that I have looked at. I have faith in the guy tho, he will do well. Just a ***** that we will have to wait ages before we find out how it went.
What? Where was u searching for this? There is news about it even on www.cart.com + AutoRacing1. Don't know, but don't think H2F will drive in Germany. This is superspeedway and H2F as never driven even on oval...