Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 31 Dec 2009, 17:24 (Ref:2606849)   #226
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
skentellytubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I could be very wrong, but I just dont see it closing down permanently. Its got a good catchment area and I'm sure it can make money.

Ok maybe it could be used for housing or something but in the current climate that looks a riskier financial proposition than using it for its intended purpose.

As an MOD dumping ground I would think that it was almost brownfield in some places = expensive to develop unless you were going to turn it into a commercial development (believe me - I work in this area and we've not had any work of any value for nearly 18 months because of it!)

Digging it up and preparing it for residential or commercial development would cost a whole lot more than repairing it and who would give them the financial backing to do something of that magnitude right now?

Of course, the Wheatcrofts could just leave a valuable asset to sit and rot.....

But why bother, its easier to invest in it and do something with it even if means a few small steps first (clubbie stuff, track days etc) before reclaiming its spot behind the likes of Silverstone and Brands.

Last edited by skentellytubby; 31 Dec 2009 at 17:37. Reason: .
Old 31 Dec 2009, 17:56 (Ref:2606864)   #227
Mr Don
Rookie

Ireland
Loughborough uk
Mr Don should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hoping it is back online soon

I really feel for DH and all the workers at DP. It is just awful for them, I hope and pray that something concrete can be put in place soon for their sakes. It is my local track and I am really sad about it's loss and hope it can be put right soon.

If there is some hope of racing at DP, I hope the administrators let us know soon so that clubs, drivers and marshals don't make alternative arrangements. Volunteers once lost are hard to replace, making a hard job harder.

I hope it can be brought back soon. I for one will be trackside.
Old 31 Dec 2009, 18:12 (Ref:2606870)   #228
Leroy Boyce
Rookie

Leroy Boyce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been following this thread very closely over the past few weeks.

I too am deeply concerned about the future of DP, so I've been looking into a "Save Donington" parade.

I am contacting car clubs and racing forums about a show of support for the circuit by turning up in numbers to the car park. I figured if enough people turn up demonstrating how important the circuit is, it would justify to the people involved that it must be repaired.

I know this is a naive pipe-dream, but a ball has started rolling, and it was all I could think of. After all, all I am is a skint classic/historic/vintage racing enthusiast, with no contacts, who considers DP his second home.

If anyone is interested, I've set up an email account:

savedonington@live.co.uk

The proposed date for the "parade" is 7th March. I figured, if a positive decision was to have been made by then, then it would've rendered it unecessary - let's hope!

Please show your support, by dropping me a mail.

Cheers.

EDIT:

I have has some negative comments regarding this idea, so I figured a better "starting place" might be to email me your messages of support, which I will compile and send off.

Then, the next step would be the parade.

Cheers.

Last edited by Leroy Boyce; 31 Dec 2009 at 18:19. Reason: Additional
Old 31 Dec 2009, 18:43 (Ref:2606876)   #229
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite why you should have had negative response's to this I have no idea and as to being naive,why should it be? This sort of thing should be on the net in big green lights!! Excellent idea and well done.
Old 31 Dec 2009, 20:15 (Ref:2606899)   #230
Mr Don
Rookie

Ireland
Loughborough uk
This is a great idea
I am sure there are a lot of people out there who would support it, then if you are sure you have a good number of people who will turn up including a few motor racing celebrities and dignatories if possible, get the press and TV along too.
You need marshals in orange kit. A few drivers in fire-proofs. A few fast cars.

This is a great idea
Something people who are skint can do or join in with.
Raising the profile of the level of support will be part of the solution to getting the funding to get the track back online.
Well Don
Old 1 Jan 2010, 01:08 (Ref:2606945)   #231
Leroy Boyce
Rookie

Thanks for the kind words.

I must admit I was surprised by the negative comments (and there were a few), but it's kind of made me more determined.

I have a short-list of people I want to contact regarding the parade. I've already posted on the Lotus-owner's forum, the classic mini forum and piston heads. I'm going to contact VSCC, HSCC and CSCC, and a few drivers/riders who have won at the circuit. I also intend to contact the local press/TV station.

If I am allowed to be a bit sentimental here... Donington is my favourte place on Earth, and I've always dreamed of having a son, and us both enjoying watching some classic race cars going round the circuit. In October my wife gave birth to our first child - a boy!

Now, the thought of us never going to DP keeps me awake at night...
Old 1 Jan 2010, 09:31 (Ref:2606992)   #232
RCMADD
Racer

England
derby
RCMADD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i can show up in my probans, as i live 20 mins on my ped.
Old 1 Jan 2010, 11:08 (Ref:2607018)   #233
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Leroy,
Good idea - don't forget to post on the marshal's own forum here, to ask if they will come. I was going to suggest posting to the British Motorsport Marshals' Club (http://www.marshals.co.uk/), but it appears to be a broken link. Anyone here know what has happened to the BMMC?

John
Old 1 Jan 2010, 11:27 (Ref:2607022)   #234
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i would guess that the website is having difficulties atm
Old 1 Jan 2010, 15:05 (Ref:2607065)   #235
Leroy Boyce
Rookie

If anyone is a member of any other forums, please do cut and paste any posts you see fit, but please do make sure you include the email address:

savedonington@live.co.uk

Thanks again for your support!
Old 1 Jan 2010, 15:35 (Ref:2607069)   #236
Mr Don
Rookie

Ireland
Loughborough uk
BMMC working well at
http://www.marshals.co.uk/
for me. Must be a technical hitch

I use it all the time. Just the place to advertise this event
Old 1 Jan 2010, 21:58 (Ref:2607168)   #237
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
Good for you Leroy, if you need any help in any way count me in. I'll post to your email address also
Old 2 Jan 2010, 08:59 (Ref:2607278)   #238
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skentellytubby View Post
I could be very wrong, but I just dont see it closing down permanently. Its got a good catchment area and I'm sure it can make money.

Ok maybe it could be used for housing or something but in the current climate that looks a riskier financial proposition than using it for its intended purpose.

As an MOD dumping ground I would think that it was almost brownfield in some places = expensive to develop unless you were going to turn it into a commercial development (believe me - I work in this area and we've not had any work of any value for nearly 18 months because of it!)

Digging it up and preparing it for residential or commercial development would cost a whole lot more than repairing it and who would give them the financial backing to do something of that magnitude right now?

Of course, the Wheatcrofts could just leave a valuable asset to sit and rot.....

But why bother, its easier to invest in it and do something with it even if means a few small steps first (clubbie stuff, track days etc) before reclaiming its spot behind the likes of Silverstone and Brands.
People keep going on about Donington's potential as a housing or industrial development. I'm afraid I just don't see it due to the airport next door. I am involved in some development work near airports and to get planning permission for houses and industrial units near the end of runways is very difficult. In fact, if Donington had never existed, I doubt you'd get planning permission for that nowadays either.

Doningtons future is probably only as a motor sport/ leisure venue as it has been for the last few years, or possibly as car parking for the airport. I can't see it being used for housing etc.
Old 2 Jan 2010, 11:19 (Ref:2607298)   #239
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quite right Andy97, the circuit pre-dates the airfield I think, was it a WW2 base?

I agree with Leroy's Donington Rally idea and will support if not elsewhere, we need to show the Wheatcrof family that enthusiasts care, it is, afterall, one of the few major tracks for Northern enthusiasts. We need to get some press reports of the plan if possible, which local motor club could back it?
Old 2 Jan 2010, 11:31 (Ref:2607303)   #240
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
People keep going on about Donington's potential as a housing or industrial development. I'm afraid I just don't see it due to the airport next door. I am involved in some development work near airports and to get planning permission for houses and industrial units near the end of runways is very difficult. In fact, if Donington had never existed, I doubt you'd get planning permission for that nowadays either.

Doningtons future is probably only as a motor sport/ leisure venue as it has been for the last few years, or possibly as car parking for the airport. I can't see it being used for housing etc.
Good point, you'd never get planning permission. PPG24 comes to mind (noise)...!???
Old 2 Jan 2010, 12:03 (Ref:2607314)   #241
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
May be right, at the end of Heathrow's runways as i recollect is acres and acres of cabbage fields for the emergency landing scenario and this is prime southern land within the M25 corridor that would be worth literally billions if could be built on.
Old 2 Jan 2010, 12:21 (Ref:2607319)   #242
SFurness
Racer

England
Leicestershire
SFurness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi All,

On the subject of the parade/car meeting would we be able to gain access to the public car parking areas ?

If a parking area could be agreed it could become quite an event. Durring the summer there is a monthly meet of all sorts of classic and exotic cars over near Melton Mowbray (12 miles away), they turn up in their hundreds.

As March 7th is Sunday there may well be a market on which would mean the public areas are open.

I can put the idea to the local Jaguar Drivers Club and if there is parking local racers could trailer the cars down (Andy ?)

Who can arrange for the sun to shine ?

Steve
Old 2 Jan 2010, 14:07 (Ref:2607342)   #243
RCMADD
Racer

England
derby
RCMADD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFurness View Post
Hi All,
As March 7th is Sunday there may well be a market on which would mean the public areas are open.
Who can arrange for the sun to shine ?
Steve
the market has a seperate entrance.

as far as the sun thats down to god himself.
Old 2 Jan 2010, 14:18 (Ref:2607345)   #244
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
This parade idea may well work. It'll certaily show how many people would like to see Donington Park circuit saved.
Anyone else remember the 'Save Mallory' campaign in the 80's when the circuit was going to be closed down (rumoured to have been bought by Tom Wheatcroft himself to be turned into housing!).
Stickers and public meetings as I recall...
Old 2 Jan 2010, 15:24 (Ref:2607365)   #245
Leroy Boyce
Rookie

I have had some interest from a local newspaper! A "racing personality" had also been mentioned. Very early days, but the ball has started rolling!

They suggested I set up a Facebook page too, so here it is, please add yourself:

http://www.facebook.com/editalbum.ph....1445660548..1
Old 2 Jan 2010, 15:37 (Ref:2607370)   #246
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a "midlands breakfast club" for classic car enthusiasts that meets one sunday a month at RAF Cosford Museum. Maybe they could be encouraged to hold a one-off meeting at Donington Park as part of the idea. If there normal meet is on the same day, maybe they could come to Donington in convoy fresh from Cosford, its only about 40 minutes away.

I understand that the Grand Prix Collection is now open again - I'll check tomorrow - so it would be quite legitimate to turn up on mass to visit the museum.

Of course, what Donington really needs is some form of demonstration that once it's reopened as a functioning race circuit again, the crowds will come to visit (and pay to get in) race meetings!
Old 2 Jan 2010, 16:02 (Ref:2607375)   #247
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Local motor sport personality Ron Haslam had been using Donington for years for his racing school. I believe he has had to move to Silverstone for 2010 but I would guess he would be happier to operate closer to home.
Old 2 Jan 2010, 18:24 (Ref:2607408)   #248
Mr Don
Rookie

Ireland
Loughborough uk
If there is going to be a Rally, this is the sort of name we need onside and present if possible.
Old 2 Jan 2010, 23:04 (Ref:2607463)   #249
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skentellytubby View Post
Good point, you'd never get planning permission. PPG24 comes to mind (noise)...!???
I'm guessing it wouldn't just be noise issues that might make it hard to get planning permission for residential development- I can't imagine North-West Leicestershire District Council will have forgotten the events of 8th Jan 1989 in a hurry either....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kegworth_air_disaster

Could well be a similar scenario to those acres of cabbage fields near Heathrow that Al mentioned
Old 2 Jan 2010, 23:42 (Ref:2607475)   #250
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is also this.

http://aviation-safety.net/database/...?id=19870118-0

My early morning flight to Amsterdam was operated by a Viscount the following day, the F27 being a little bent.

It took half the flying time (breakfast was not as leisurely as usual) and was about the only plane to land in the fog at Schipol that morning.

However the flying time gain was all lost when the ground crew turned up with the steps for an F27. No one had told then of the change of aircraft.

It took them about 40 mins to find some steps that would just about work with the Viscount and another 10 minutes to de-ice them (partially) before they would let us off to catch the bus to the terminal.

Happy days.

None of this silly 'early check in and no liquids' rigmarole. Full cooked breakfast (quite good) and a mini bottle (or two) of Champagne. Liqueur with the coffee if you wanted it. Complimentary newspaper and duty free at sensible prices.

How times have changed.