Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Dec 2004, 14:21 (Ref:1185023)   #1
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
South Africa Jan 2005

I will be in SA 21st Jan to 15 Feb. Are there any historic meetings near JHB during that period?
Old 21 Dec 2004, 14:46 (Ref:1185043)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Simon, try dropping a note to the Kyalami Marshals Assoc www.kma.org.za as they should be able to help you. There are a couple of smaller tracks close to Johannesburg too and they should be able to cover them as well.

Are you there on business or pleasure and where abouts are you staying?
Old 21 Dec 2004, 14:49 (Ref:1185045)   #3
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
sadly biz but I am sure I can find time at the weekends for a bit of petrolheading, even better would be to rent a drive!
Old 21 Dec 2004, 14:50 (Ref:1185046)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Are you staying in Jhb or Sandton?
Old 21 Dec 2004, 14:50 (Ref:1185047)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

sorry i am staying in JHB, just behind the Westcliff if you know JHB. I have a car out there so I am mobile (altho to be honest pretty nervous abt driving on the roads given all the horror stories we all hear!)
Old 21 Dec 2004, 14:51 (Ref:1185048)   #6
simon drabble
Veteran

my office is in sandton but stay as above
Old 21 Dec 2004, 14:54 (Ref:1185051)   #7
simon drabble
Veteran

Stephen I seem to recall you are a bit of a karter - is there a decent karting track near sandton/jhb (outdoor) in the Buckmore/Thruxton mold that i can arrive and drive?
Old 21 Dec 2004, 14:55 (Ref:1185052)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I normally pick up a hire car at the aiirport and drive to the hotel and have never had any problems, just make sure you lock the doors for added safety. The Westcliffe is a grand place, been there for dinner at the restaurant with the swimming pool outside that seems to disappear over the edge of the roof.
Old 21 Dec 2004, 14:56 (Ref:1185053)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
There is a kart track at Swartkops (spelling) but the guys at KMA should be able to give you full details.
Old 21 Dec 2004, 14:57 (Ref:1185054)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Spelling Zwartcops I am reliably informed by my SA colleague on the desk here.

(I work for Nedbank)
Old 21 Dec 2004, 14:59 (Ref:1185058)   #11
simon drabble
Veteran

infinity pool yup its a nice hotel. sadly my desk in the bank have leased a house behind it as there is always someone there. However I sometimes go round there for supper if i am on my own as SA television is not worth staying in for!!!! (no corry or easties tsk!!)
Old 21 Dec 2004, 15:00 (Ref:1185061)   #12
simon drabble
Veteran

i know - I work for your competition! Standardbank!!
Old 21 Dec 2004, 15:02 (Ref:1185063)   #13
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
If you come out of the hotel and turn left into Jan Smuts Ave there is a really good fish restaurant about 1-2 miles down the road, name escapes me at the moment tho.
Old 21 Dec 2004, 15:03 (Ref:1185065)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
i know - I work for your competition! Standardbank!!

Arghhhhhhh (hides head in shame)
Old 21 Dec 2004, 15:08 (Ref:1185070)   #15
simon drabble
Veteran

if it makes it better we used to work together at Gerald Metals many years ago!
Old 21 Dec 2004, 15:15 (Ref:1185077)   #16
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
we did????????????
Old 21 Dec 2004, 15:16 (Ref:1185079)   #17
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Now thats going back a good few years!
Old 22 Dec 2004, 07:59 (Ref:1185650)   #18
IANHEB
Racer

IANHEB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon,
You are having a laugh at us local yokals surely ??
January 29th ( Zwartkops-Pretoria ) and February 5th ( Killarney-Cape Town) are the dates of the David Piper International Historic Race Series, the main events of the SA Historic calender. There are 30 or so cars on the water as we speak coming to join the SA based Sports Cars,Single Seaters and Saloons.
Simon, and any other 10/10 thers that are in SA for these races, please feel free to contact me to organise a meet up at the Zwartkops race.
Regards
Ian
Old 22 Dec 2004, 08:21 (Ref:1185660)   #19
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Cheers Ian, and we now have the correct spelling for Zwartkops
Old 22 Dec 2004, 08:30 (Ref:1185663)   #20
simon drabble
Veteran

that is pretty gutting - if I had thought this thru properly I would have got my Merlyn sportsracer out - to be honest I completely forget about David Pipers races. Last year Carol Spagg pushed it hard with her series (Gentlemen Drivers and Sports Prototype series) but she did nt this year..... unfortunately I am going to the J+B Mets on 29th but I might try and see if 5th works for me. Do you know if anyone is looking for a paying second driver or are the races short ones?
and Stephen yup it was a fair few years ago!! I was there 88-94! that dates us all!!!
Old 22 Dec 2004, 08:33 (Ref:1185666)   #21
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Lunch in the new year then Simon?
Old 22 Dec 2004, 08:36 (Ref:1185668)   #22
simon drabble
Veteran

why not and can you track foxy down? he is always good for a laugh!! you can get me on reuters or bloomie (or pm but to be honest I dont look at that very often as not many people send me stuff on it!!)
Old 22 Dec 2004, 09:41 (Ref:1185704)   #23
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Foxy is at Sucden (SDUK Reuters) and it sounds like a good idea to have a reunion in January.
Old 22 Dec 2004, 10:10 (Ref:1185724)   #24
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon

Isn't there serious sport in SA this winter too ?

Clue 1 : we won yesterday

Clue 2 : its probably cheaper to fly and watch than watch on TV in UK
Old 22 Dec 2004, 10:33 (Ref:1185742)   #25
simon drabble
Veteran

working for a SA bank this close to year end, i obviously think we were very lucky to win yesterday and truth be told they should have won (bit like the rugby and I might be lying! ;-))