Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 11 Sep 2019, 09:30 (Ref:3927317)   #4801
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Does anyone still drive Marinas?
322 of them still registered for tax (or SORN'd) in the UK in 2018.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 09:32 (Ref:3927318)   #4802
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Marina TC was an answer to the Chrysler Avenger Tiger which came out in 1972(ish). Don't know if anyone here ever drove one, but the Avenger was quite a nice car to drive.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 09:41 (Ref:3927319)   #4803
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Did I ever mention that I owned a steam train once?
Old 11 Sep 2019, 09:46 (Ref:3927321)   #4804
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You probably mentioned it more than once........
Old 11 Sep 2019, 09:50 (Ref:3927322)   #4805
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Such was the forward thinking culture at BL when they engineered the Morris Marina, they adopted the Minor front suspension, complete with all the inbuilt faults....

Trunnions, anyone?
I had a Morris Ital estate as a company car for a short while in the early 80s - presumably that used the same suspension as the Marina?

One day, driving along a dual carriageway at the legal limit, a chap I was about to pass decided to take a right turn through a gap in the central reservation. Despite takingthe offside wheels onto the grass on the reservation I didn't quite manage to avoid some front wing to wing contact. More seriously the offside wheels had taken a hit going over the kerb to get on the reservation grass and then through a large kerbing edged drain which must have been 6 to 9 inches deep.

Heck of a lot of banging from the suspension but it seemed to survive, much to my surprise.

Having kept it straight on the wet grass I regained the tarmac and pulled up at a lay-by to check for damage and exchange details. There was a slight curve in the road and hedges, etc. just after the point of the incident so I could not see back to what was happening. However the other driver had driven off taking the cut through as originally intended.

The chap that had been following me stopped to offer contact details as a witness and tell me what the other driver had done and also provide a decent indication of the registration number.

Accident reported to the police and the last I heard about it was about a week later when a police contact advised they thought they had identified the missing driver's address and were going to ask colleagues in another force to go around and interview the person involved. This all happened about 2 miles from home. The witness was about 3 miles from home and the other driver about 5 miles from their location but 3 police forces were involved so I suspect things just never happened or the miscreant was always "out" when visited.

From memory the car needed a new NSF wing and some door repairs but the suspension survived when, from the noise involved, I was expecting to see some major damage.

Quite tough though somewhat agricultural.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 09:54 (Ref:3927323)   #4806
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Cheer up Bob, it'll be boats next!
Not boats, but Ships!

HMS Prince of Wales, the second of the two new aircraft carriers is due to sail from Rosyth for contractors sea trials very shortly.
Meanwhile her sister ship, HMS Queen Elizabeth, has sailed for the east coast of the USA for the first F35 flying trials, whilst RFA Mounts Bay is assisting in hurricane relief in the Bahamas.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 10:02 (Ref:3927324)   #4807
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
The Marina TC was an answer to the Chrysler Avenger Tiger which came out in 1972(ish). Don't know if anyone here ever drove one, but the Avenger was quite a nice car to drive.
Tiger? My mother had one, JNG262L, complete with the Magnesium Minilites that the early cars were fitted with, and which only just survived the first winter salt..... Think later ones had Dunlop alloys instead.

I eventually bought the car, sold my Mex, and prepared the Tiger for rallying. That consisted of fitting basic safety stuff, sump guard and Goodyear knobblies! Off I went to do the local SCCON Midsummer Stages Rally. Finished just, but by the end of the event the body shell had all but fallen apart, the standard spot welds definitely man enough for the job........ Car hastily repaired and sold!
Old 11 Sep 2019, 10:10 (Ref:3927326)   #4808
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
There were only 200 Mk1 Avenger Tigers produced, they were made to compete with the Mexico and had 6bhp more. The Mk11 was more prolific and had no bonnet bulge and twin headlights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Not boats, but Ships!

HMS Prince of Wales, the second of the two new aircraft carriers is due to sail from Rosyth for contractors sea trials very shortly.
Meanwhile her sister ship, HMS Queen Elizabeth, has sailed for the east coast of the USA for the first F35 flying trials, whilst RFA Mounts Bay is assisting in hurricane relief in the Bahamas.
My late father spent most of his naval career on HMS Victorious and his brother was on HMS Eagle.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 10:25 (Ref:3927328)   #4809
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Not boats, but Ships!

In the usual style we took the wrong option with these and went for the 'Ski jump' rather than flat deck. Bone headed decision.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 10:32 (Ref:3927329)   #4810
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
In the usual style we took the wrong option with these and went for the 'Ski jump' rather than flat deck. Bone headed decision.
What? Us make a bone headed decision? Surely not!
Old 11 Sep 2019, 10:47 (Ref:3927332)   #4811
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
The flat deck option required steam catapults and arrestor wires, and conventional take off and landing version if the F35. It was a design/ procurement option.

A former boss of mine ran the third (i think) study on what version we should buy. The RAF wanted the conventional version of F35, the Navy wanted the catapult and arrestor wire version and Rolls-Royce/BAe wanted the ski jump/ vertical landing version (because they had a vested intetest in its construction, with far higher work share). RR/BAe won.
However, on trials, the aircraft was found to be too heavy to hover and land at high all up weights. Hence a compromise “rolling vertical landing” concept had to be developed.

In my view we cant afford these ships and the 2 x Amphibious Landing Platform Dock ships (HMS Albion and Bulwark) and would have been better off buying 3 x hybrid ships capable of supporting amphibious ops and F35 ops like the USS Wasp class.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 11:03 (Ref:3927339)   #4812
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Rolls-Royce/BAe wanted the ski jump/ vertical landing version (because they had a vested intetest in its construction, with far higher work share). RR/BAe won.
This is the most depressing part of the procurement process - despite what the military arms would have expressed as a 'need', the private sector were more able to articulate their desire and so both services lose out.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 11:06 (Ref:3927341)   #4813
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Actually it's a failure of procurement processes worldwide. If you are in a group of companies you will be required to favour your partners rather than the wider market because the money stays in house. Likewise the EU dictates that you must select an EU company if you want EU funding.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 11:15 (Ref:3927344)   #4814
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just been watching some clips of those B2 Stealth Bombers over England.

Even though they are they are quite old now they still look incredible.

Imagine some thought they were witnessing UFO's when looking up.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 11:46 (Ref:3927348)   #4815
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Ah, didn’t realise about the mechanical problem, Tim. The loco wasn't in steam, so maybe still hors d’combat.
Should be fixed by this Friday
Old 11 Sep 2019, 12:11 (Ref:3927355)   #4816
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Under the weird but not wonderful category!

Was behind a new Mini Clubman estate the other day, and came to the conclusion that the newish ruddy great light clusters on the rear facing doors was just plain ugly. But worse was to come.

When the driver applied the brakes, it transpires that the clusters don't contain the brake lights which are small stand-alone lights embedded in the rear bumper. So, instead of having the lights at a decent height to view from behind, they are fairly low.

A case of a (lack of) style over substance!
Old 11 Sep 2019, 12:15 (Ref:3927358)   #4817
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The flat deck option required steam catapults and arrestor wires, and conventional take off and landing version if the F35. It was a design/ procurement option.
Yep - if we'd gone flat deck we could have used the better version of the F35 (the cheaper, longer ranged, higher payload version) and also any Nato carrier aircraft could have used the decks (Hornet, Rafale etc.). By going Ski jump it's the crap F35 and helicopters only.

Quote:
In my view we cant afford these ships and the 2 x Amphibious Landing Platform Dock ships (HMS Albion and Bulwark) and would have been better off buying 3 x hybrid ships capable of supporting amphibious ops and F35 ops like the USS Wasp class.
Agreed - if we weren't going flat deck then something like this would have made more sense.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 12:15 (Ref:3927359)   #4818
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Under the weird but not wonderful category!

Was behind a new Mini Clubman estate the other day, and came to the conclusion that the newish ruddy great light clusters on the rear facing doors was just plain ugly. But worse was to come.

When the driver applied the brakes, it transpires that the clusters don't contain the brake lights which are small stand-alone lights embedded in the rear bumper. So, instead of having the lights at a decent height to view from behind, they are fairly low.

A case of a (lack of) style over substance!
Well, in my opinion the car is pig ugly anyway! Although perhaps not directly related, are there not regulations about rear lights on hatches, estates SUVs etc where if the tailgate(s) could obscure the normal lights when open, duplicates have to be fitted in another position?
Old 11 Sep 2019, 12:35 (Ref:3927375)   #4819
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Well, in my opinion the car is pig ugly anyway! Although perhaps not directly related, are there not regulations about rear lights on hatches, estates SUVs etc where if the tailgate(s) could obscure the normal lights when open, duplicates have to be fitted in another position?
It's the reason for duplicates on the back of the Insignia Tourer. For some reason, people have commented that it's a 'fancy touch' when they see the boot open, but in reality it's a legal requirement.

Not sure why the brake lights would need to be positioned as such though? The requirement reads:
When every door, tailgate, boot lid, or other movable part is in the fixed open position (any position in which the component will remain, with or without a fixed stay) each of the
- front and rear position lamps
- front and rear indicators
- rear retro reflectors
must fulfil one of the following conditions:
a. half (50%) of the apparent surface of the lamp or reflector is visible from directly in front of / behind (as appropriate) the vehicle, or
b. additional fully visible lamp (s) / reflectors satisfying all requirements for the above lamps / reflectors are activated / visible, or
c. a notice in the vehicle must inform the user that in certain positions of the movable components, other road users should be warned of the presence of the vehicle on the road (e.g. by laying out a warning triangle).
Old 11 Sep 2019, 14:16 (Ref:3927401)   #4820
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

You are, of course, right as crmalcolm confirms. However, just as earlier estates/tourers often had duplicate light clusters in the tailgate pillars, so the Mini Clubman could have had clusters embedded in the tailgate doors' internal trim situated so to be seen from behind - the trim there is more than adequate to have quite a substantially sized cluster incorporated.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 14:20 (Ref:3927403)   #4821
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It's the reason for duplicates on the back of the Insignia Tourer. For some reason, people have commented that it's a 'fancy touch' when they see the boot open, but in reality it's a legal requirement.
That’s certainly a tidier solution than many, but probably forced on them by the clamshell tailgate! One of the less tidy layouts was on the original freelander.....
Old 11 Sep 2019, 16:02 (Ref:3927419)   #4822
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I dont remember the Q7 has those additional lights when the clamshell tailgate was opened… may be because it was so hard to stop it!
Old 11 Sep 2019, 16:09 (Ref:3927424)   #4823
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Ah, welcome back, Gerry...... Holidays over?
Old 11 Sep 2019, 17:00 (Ref:3927429)   #4824
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I dont remember the Q7 has those additional lights when the clamshell tailgate was opened…
That's because they included the mandatory lights in the rear valance.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 22:39 (Ref:3927491)   #4825
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone else watch the Channel 5 doc about the Dreadnoughts.Fascinating. Can't imagine what it would've been like at Jutland and other battles. Wish the original images could be made to colour like what Peter Jackson did with the WW1 Programme.

For me being young you find it hard to imagine it happened with the amount of change thats happened since. Quite sad in a way but also good aswell.

Anyway enough of me for one day. Time to worry more about college.
Closed Thread