Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Apr 2009, 15:21 (Ref:2434293)   #1
Ingsy
Racer

Ingsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rosberg & Kers?

Button interviewed on the grid by Brundle said that the closest KERs running car was in 7th place. I thought the Williams were using their flywheel system?

Rosberg certainly got an exceptional start, so was he running it? I assume the outlap is long enough for his to be fully up to power? I haven't used the word "charged" as I'm not sure exactly how theirs works in relation to the other teams battery charging type unit.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 15:23 (Ref:2434297)   #2
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
As far as I am aware, Williams haven't introduced it yet.

I would assume, and I use that word in its most inclusive sense, that they won't use it until at least the start of the European season.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 15:24 (Ref:2434300)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Williams aren't using their system yet.Just a very good start by Rosberg.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 15:26 (Ref:2434305)   #4
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Williams aren't using their system yet.Just a very good start by Rosberg.
If and when they start using it, the will be using a flywheel system is that correct Martin?
Old 5 Apr 2009, 15:31 (Ref:2434313)   #5
Ingsy
Racer

Ingsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So potentially more pace and better starts to come from Williams then? Excellent. Surely it's only a matter of time before they get a good result.

Let's hope they do well enough this year to get a sponsor to replace RBS at the end of the season.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 15:36 (Ref:2434320)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
If and when they start using it, the will be using a flywheel system is that correct Martin?
That is correct.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 19:49 (Ref:2434530)   #7
Daniel Pinnegar
Racer

United Kingdom
Southampton UK
Daniel Pinnegar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams have been working on their flywheel KERS for a long time now.

Concerning the race starts however, the drivers are unlikely to use KERS straight off the grid as the additional power would just spin the tyres and give them no advantage. However if they are on a long pit straight, like Sepang's, then the would use it to get to the first corner well...first. :P
Old 5 Apr 2009, 20:44 (Ref:2434583)   #8
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wouldnt the power also come with better torque so more grunt in the 3rd and up gears?
Old 6 Apr 2009, 12:18 (Ref:2435061)   #9
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
KERS is not allowed below 100kph, but a long run to turn 1 such as at Sepang would make it advantageous.

Williams aren't running KERS yet - when they do it will be a flywheel "battery", where energy is stored in a very fast spinning flywheel - I gather that it is then converted into electricity and thence back to the engine. This is different to the Honda one, which apparently is a pure flywheel. Anybody confirm? I think this is right.

Certainly so ar the KERS does not appear to make the car faster over a complete lap, and its primary value is in defending position, or push-to-pass.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 12:30 (Ref:2435067)   #10
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
KERS is not allowed below 100kph, but a long run to turn 1 such as at Sepang would make it advantageous.

Williams aren't running KERS yet - when they do it will be a flywheel "battery", where energy is stored in a very fast spinning flywheel - I gather that it is then converted into electricity and thence back to the engine. This is different to the Honda one, which apparently is a pure flywheel. Anybody confirm? I think this is right.

Certainly so ar the KERS does not appear to make the car faster over a complete lap, and its primary value is in defending position, or push-to-pass.
I understand it to be purely mechanical. Essentially the flywheel is connected to the transmission by a Continuously Variable Transmission unit. By varying the ratio you can get the road wheels driving the flywheel or the flywheel driving the road wheels as required. I believe it also has a clutch so it can be disconnected altogether. This is all much more efficient than the motor generator battery nonsense that the other teams are doing but it also has engineering challenges the other systems do not. I can't wait to see it in action.
Old 8 Apr 2009, 01:50 (Ref:2436358)   #11
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I think KERS will be an advantage more or less anywhere off the line. It does not take long for an F1 car to get to 100kph. It was clearly a benefit in Melbourne, and that is not what you would call a long run to the first turn.

The start-line thing is the major reason that everyone is going to end up running KERS, IMO.
Old 8 Apr 2009, 07:50 (Ref:2436462)   #12
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When you look at it, the only benefit KERS is giving us right now exists purely because only some of the cars have it. Once they all get it the differences will be evened out and we'll barely give it a thought - one pushes to pass, the other pushes to defend etc.
Old 8 Apr 2009, 08:20 (Ref:2436489)   #13
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Certainly.

This is the problem with the FIA's restrictive regulations (they are even talking of standard KERS.......).

The FIA should, as far is in any way rational, open up the KERS regulations.

Let the teams work out.

At some point it will even out and become a spending contest. I am OK with that, but if that is a bad then look at the regulations.

The thing that makes no sense is for the FIA to want to regulate KERS out of existence when it has just begun. The FIA is already talking of standard KERS: this is arguably the most worthless idea of all time.
Old 8 Apr 2009, 08:47 (Ref:2436504)   #14
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton View Post
Certainly.

This is the problem with the FIA's restrictive regulations (they are even talking of standard KERS.......).

The FIA should, as far is in any way rational, open up the KERS regulations.

Let the teams work out.

At some point it will even out and become a spending contest. I am OK with that, but if that is a bad then look at the regulations.

The thing that makes no sense is for the FIA to want to regulate KERS out of existence when it has just begun. The FIA is already talking of standard KERS: this is arguably the most worthless idea of all time.
I'll second that.

KERS has the potential to improve the racing, improve the level of technical interest in the sport and to give a tremendous development boost to a number of technologies with usefulness in the real world, in fact including it in F1 is a b****y good idea.

A standardised KERS will do none of these things, at all, not even slightly, not a sausage. It will simply cost money and contribute nothing to anything.

My message to the FIA is open up the regs on KERS let the teams really push the technology. The very restricted rules for this year make sense for the introductory year but if it is to be of value next year lift some of the restrictions and let them make more use of it. I know money is tight but if there is one technology where it makes sense to spend it this is it.
Old 8 Apr 2009, 09:05 (Ref:2436514)   #15
Glen
Veteran

The FIA would argue that there is a strategic dimension, in so much as you can only push for KERS for a limited number of seconds per lap, so therefore the smarter driver will use it to his advantage over time. But - all that will happen in reality is they will calculate exactly where to use it for minimum lap time and to all intents and purposes it will become invisible.
Old 8 Apr 2009, 09:14 (Ref:2436520)   #16
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
The teams will come to a KERS consensus.

I pray it id freedom to KERS.

I pray for freedom of tyres.

Give the underbody a chance.
Old 8 Apr 2009, 09:41 (Ref:2436547)   #17
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton View Post
The teams will come to a KERS consensus.

I pray it id freedom to KERS.

I pray for freedom of tyres.

Give the underbody a chance.
The teams will come to a KERS consensus and we will all be delighted, then the FIA will decide on some stupid and irrelevant course of action and make everybody follow it.