Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Sep 2019, 14:44 (Ref:3930850)   #201
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the last race ghe weather looks truly miserable, gloomy and from what I can see on the webcam the track looks deserted.

Good race though between Daytonas so far.
Old 29 Sep 2019, 15:02 (Ref:3930854)   #202
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
For the last race ghe weather looks truly miserable, gloomy and from what I can see on the webcam the track looks deserted.

Good race though between Daytonas so far.
Weather is fine, it’s just light drizzle. Track is consistently wet, but no visibility issues or standing water. I’d say perfect conditions for historic motorsport!
Old 29 Sep 2019, 15:31 (Ref:3930863)   #203
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
We are going to make our 8 pm booking at Pizza house!
Into ninth place in the first damp wet bit and then engine gave up rotating!
Imagine money saved on petrol.
Always look on the bright side. . .
Old 29 Sep 2019, 16:25 (Ref:3930882)   #204
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unlucky again Mike. Not been your week but chin up, hope whatever the problem was not to bad.
Old 29 Sep 2019, 16:26 (Ref:3930883)   #205
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Going back to a question asked many pages ago as to how an estate car (the Mini) was eligible for the race- basically, it wasn’t! It was in an ‘invitation’ class and not classified as a finisher. If it had been, it would have been 23rd o/a. There was one GT40 also classified as ‘invitation’, but that didn’t start.

The HSCC closed wheel race attracted everything from a Jowett Jupiter to the can-am Lola, pictured here in park ferme. Most impressive cars on the grid were the Historic S2000s. Amazing ‘bang for your buck’!
To be fair, 23 o/a sounds like an outstanding result.

I do love the Sports 2000s. But I am also a fan of Clubmans cars (Mallocks etc) and they are amazing vfm for HSCC racing; no idea whether any are able to race internationally, though. Although I do remember them racing in the original Thundersports series.
Old 29 Sep 2019, 17:41 (Ref:3930900)   #206
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Phew, wow! I don't recall weather like that in the 25ish races I've run at Spa. It was so wet my fronts were locking with just a dab. We started 5th in class and 36th, finished third in class and 19th so a pretty good run, spoiled by a TVR that wouldn't catch up with the safety car and thus held me back. Anyway another trophy to go in the loft.

That's my season finished although many are going to Estoril and Portimao. I'm envious.

Great to see Delta and share his enthusiasm. Pretty good result for the Galaxy team. Sorry to speak with Mike who shouldn't take it too hard, sometimes you are just a passenger.
Old 29 Sep 2019, 18:06 (Ref:3930905)   #207
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Plain and simple- I crashed........ Totally gutted. Not something I make a habit of. Was just coming in at end of my 2hrs. Track was diabolical, more ice rink than race circuit. Got onto grass and from there on was a passenger. Car immovable so stuck out in the boondocks until end of race.

Maybe time to hang up my helmet.....
Mike, I don’t race at anywhere near the level that you do but I do understand your sentiments; I have thought about giving up numerous times but the truth is that racing is a bit of a drug and we are all addicts. What else would you do to get your fix?
You said it yourself, you don’t make a habit of it and the track was diabolical....and I am sure that you would not get to drive these cars often if you were not a very good driver.

Give yourself a couple of days and I am sure that you will realise that you were just a bit unlucky and in the wrong place at the wrong time. It happens, but you are OK.

You will probably be annoyed with yourself for a couple of days, but then you will be planning your next outing! Good luck.
Old 29 Sep 2019, 18:58 (Ref:3930923)   #208
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Mike, I don’t race at anywhere near the level that you do but I do understand your sentiments; I have thought about giving up numerous times but the truth is that racing is a bit of a drug and we are all addicts. What else would you do to get your fix?
You said it yourself, you don’t make a habit of it and the track was diabolical....and I am sure that you would not get to drive these cars often if you were not a very good driver.

Give yourself a couple of days and I am sure that you will realise that you were just a bit unlucky and in the wrong place at the wrong time. It happens, but you are OK.

You will probably be annoyed with yourself for a couple of days, but then you will be planning your next outing! Good luck.
Nice post Andy . Well said
Old 29 Sep 2019, 20:39 (Ref:3930961)   #209
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Very sorry to hear of John's and Mike's and Delta's travails, it seems their luck deserted them and maybe came our way instead. Jackie & I were looking after the Gray's father & son E type in the hotly contested GTS12 class. Qualified 30th with a 2.56 by the quick lad while track was still dry We were in same pitbox as Delta so were aware of the braking issues, nothing he can't solve.
Based on weather forecast and knowledge gleaned from the last 3 attempts we planned a 2 stop strategy but only a single refuelling. Went like clockwork apart from contact by a Falcon / Mustang (not sure which) and later on a Marcos, but weren't knocked off track and suffered only light panel damage. As it played out we finshed 7th in class and 16th overall which I'm told is pretty good for a self-prepared privateer team. Could have been so different as there was minimal oil left in the sump, also the low fuel light had been flashing for almost half an hour at the end. Owner/driver already planning engine rebuild ready for next year - bring it on :-)
We're currently holed up at an aire alongside the Moselle in Luxembourg, next stop Dijon where I'm racing my Lenham next weekend.
Old 30 Sep 2019, 06:11 (Ref:3931003)   #210
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Unlucky again Mike. Not been your week but chin up, hope whatever the problem was not to bad.
Thanks Will, but no car problem- I had decided not to race and the owner retired the car after his stint.

The reason was, if anything had happened to the car it would be difficult to get fixed before departing for the next race, and as the +4 is out of action after the 6hrs it couldn't be used as a substitute. As it is we still have an engine dilemma, with the broken one from Monza needing investigation, and the current borrowed unit that was no way near as good as supposed to be at Spa. So lots to sort out in the next two weeks......
Old 30 Sep 2019, 06:20 (Ref:3931005)   #211
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Well done team Gray / MGDavid, just proves yet again that if unscheduled stops can be avoided, a reasonable result is possible.

Thanks everyone for their words of support / encouragement after my off, they are much appreciated. As the 6hr is very much a team event, my main disappointment was in letting the team down, followed by damaging such a lovely car. But I’ll be back in a seat for Portugal at the end of Oct.
Old 30 Sep 2019, 06:47 (Ref:3931014)   #212
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good to hear everyone coming away from Spa in a positive mind. Motor racing has many more downs than ups, onto the next one and good luck all.

Sounds like a right result David. Nice one.

One day I'll get to the Six Hours, honest!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 30 Sep 2019, 07:20 (Ref:3931019)   #213
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Highs and Lows but I’m counting the days now for next year . Just the best weekend ever . It goes without saying Max we would love to have you along anytime .
Old 30 Sep 2019, 07:27 (Ref:3931021)   #214
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
BTW what did you make of the poster and stickers instead of a bag or jumper . Not impressed
Old 30 Sep 2019, 07:31 (Ref:3931022)   #215
Willmaz223
Veteran

[QUOTE=Mike Bell;3931005
But I’ll be back in a seat for Portugal at the end of Oct. [/QUOTE]

Thats more like it .
Old 30 Sep 2019, 07:35 (Ref:3931023)   #216
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
BTW what did you make of the poster and stickers instead of a bag or jumper . Not impressed
Likewise. My oldest fleece is getting a bit thread-bear.... Obviously times are hard!

I forgot to collect my free poster and stickers- what did I miss?
Old 30 Sep 2019, 08:11 (Ref:3931026)   #217
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Nuffink
Old 30 Sep 2019, 08:30 (Ref:3931029)   #218
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mmm, looks like I need to renew my every two years acquaintance with the Six Hours in 2020 ...
Old 30 Sep 2019, 11:43 (Ref:3931066)   #219
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We had a pretty trouble free run, pitted for first driver change under safety car #1 and pitted for the second change just before the second SC. We got fuel at this point so managed to fuel under SC too. Very pleased with 33rd

The first hour was very very slippery and not much fun, but I was impressed with the driving of the GT40s who were all very respectful as they came through the field. I wish the same could be said about the E-types......!!!

Overall a great 6 hour
Old 30 Sep 2019, 11:48 (Ref:3931069)   #220
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Ditto. Was wondering why I made the effort to walk to Eau Rouge to get it.

The event seemed to have a different, more professional feel to it this year. Much more promotion. One very good thing is the L'abre bar and the adjacent hamburger joint. They both take money rather than pre paid coupons. Also there is a good atmosphere just like the old bars behind the old pits.

Mike, you'll feel much better when you get behind a wheel again.

Notwithstanding the weather it's still Spa and it's still fun.

MG David. Looked for you but missed you. Glad you had a good race. Now in the line for the ferry.
Old 30 Sep 2019, 12:51 (Ref:3931079)   #221
SpencerM
Rookie

United Kingdom
Epsom
SpencerM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Home again after a great weekend. Congratulations to all finishers of the Six Hours, especially the winners on GTS11, car 219 Peereboom - Izakc - Smith, another great drive from all 3 of you.

I was in MGB Car 41 - Cripps - McCarthy. Our race was started a little rough as like a few others we missed the 20 minute window to grid, caught a little off guard by the race actually starting on time for a change, so had to start from the pit lane.

I set off onto the wet track and made some good progress, unfortunately the passenger wiper blade had other ideas and when it got stuck against the hard top after 30 minutes. I managed to get nearly to the hour mark before I called it too dangerous to see when I stopped to get the wiper removed and handed over for Mr Cripps for his 2.5 hour stint.

He trooped on steadily moving up the standings and at the 3 hour mark we importantly moved back past our garage rivals in the 91 MGB. Mr Cripps pitted and handed the car back over to me for the last stint. I settled into a rhythm with the tired car, the only real issue being pretty substantial brake knock off, we ran as high as 21st o/a and 3rd in GTS11 before unfortunately requiring an extra stop for fuel. Brain fade at the fuel stop was completely my own fault, so I'll be taking some stick for a while, deservedly.

Does anyone know of any links to photographs? Or photographers that were there?

looking forward to next time
Old 30 Sep 2019, 13:14 (Ref:3931085)   #222
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A fairly wet weekend and typical Belgian weather but a great weekend, good to see you all and spectate during the 6 hours. Well done Iain with the Ford Galaxie or biggest boot of the race
Old 30 Sep 2019, 15:00 (Ref:3931104)   #223
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraint Owen View Post
We had a pretty trouble free run, pitted for first driver change under safety car #1 and pitted for the second change just before the second SC. We got fuel at this point so managed to fuel under SC too. Very pleased with 33rd

The first hour was very very slippery and not much fun, but I was impressed with the driving of the GT40s who were all very respectful as they came through the field. I wish the same could be said about the E-types......!!!

Overall a great 6 hour
Great result. Geraint,We did 6 pit stops with 4 fuel fill ups.
Old 1 Oct 2019, 13:45 (Ref:3931300)   #224
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I recall wandering through the Formula 1 pits on Saturday evening and found these two:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8560_1_1010s.jpg  
Old 1 Oct 2019, 17:29 (Ref:3931336)   #225
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I recall wandering through the Formula 1 pits on Saturday evening and found these two:
John Wyer ans Steve McQueen.,

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 1 Oct 2019 at 19:15.