Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 1 Nov 2019, 10:04 (Ref:3937943)   #5526
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's Movember: https://uk.movember.com/mospace/5244...=share-mospace
Old 1 Nov 2019, 11:59 (Ref:3937968)   #5527
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Happy November everyone
Blimey, where did that year go?[/QUOTE]

Has it gone already?

I'm still trying to work out what happened to the last one ...
Old 1 Nov 2019, 16:47 (Ref:3938012)   #5528
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's still a sixth of the year left!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 1 Nov 2019, 18:54 (Ref:3938023)   #5529
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yes but it’s the worst time of the year . Have I ever told you “I hate Christmas “ I was just saying that I get down in the dumps as we finish racing . It’s nice to spend time at home but for me racing is life every thing else is just waiting . Who said that . ???
Old 1 Nov 2019, 19:07 (Ref:3938024)   #5530
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Yes but it’s the worst time of the year . Have I ever told you “I hate Christmas “ I was just saying that I get down in the dumps as we finish racing . It’s nice to spend time at home but for me racing is life every thing else is just waiting . Who said that . ???
Well apart from anyone else, I think you said it last year!
Old 1 Nov 2019, 20:02 (Ref:3938026)   #5531
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Well apart from anyone else, I think you said it last year!

And the year before?
Old 2 Nov 2019, 10:04 (Ref:3938079)   #5532
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve McQueen (or was it Paul Newman?).
Old 2 Nov 2019, 10:49 (Ref:3938085)   #5533
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Paul Newman originally.
Old 2 Nov 2019, 11:22 (Ref:3938093)   #5534
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Steve McQueen (or was it Paul Newman?).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvgpbsr-mCE
Old 2 Nov 2019, 12:10 (Ref:3938096)   #5535
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
My mum had a photo with that quote in her office, although the photo was Steve McQueen in the Great Escape. She still has it today
Old 2 Nov 2019, 12:16 (Ref:3938099)   #5536
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes I must correct myself it was the king of cool.
Old 2 Nov 2019, 14:54 (Ref:3938141)   #5537
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is plastered across one of our Historic Racers (enormous) transporter, photo taken at Phillip Island 2018.

Old 2 Nov 2019, 20:12 (Ref:3938180)   #5538
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Presumably it was Harry Kleiner. The scriptwriter for the film.

Old 3 Nov 2019, 17:30 (Ref:3938330)   #5539
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

A couple of news stories run on the BBC today. Interesting juxtaposition I thought.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...eople-17193548

The Headline reads:

"Northumberland A&E staff warn people to stay away from 'very busy' department unless it's 'critical' "

And then, also form Tyne and Wear

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-50275355

"Injured seal flown from Cornwall to Tynemouth Aquarium " because there is not enough space to treat it in the south.

So if one lived in Tyne and Wear and needed treatment for some injury or other would it make sense to head for Tynemouth Aquarium and claim to identify as a seal?
Old 4 Nov 2019, 05:26 (Ref:3938434)   #5540
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
World gone mad G P.
Old 4 Nov 2019, 07:38 (Ref:3938447)   #5541
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You could also lie on a beach and pretend to be a whale!
Old 4 Nov 2019, 09:24 (Ref:3938468)   #5542
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
More added. Is the other Cooper MG the ex-Peter Reece car do you know?
Thanks for those - sorry it took a while to check back here, have been distracted by family issues.

I think the blue Cooper MG might be the one owned by George Cooper in Scotland but not sure, if it's George's car he says it is the prototype, ex-Stirling Moss etc.
Old 5 Nov 2019, 06:49 (Ref:3938674)   #5543
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
As it is apparently the M1’s 60th anniversary there’s a piece in last week’s Autocar about Jack Sears testing a Cobra on the motorway before Le Mans in ‘64. They borrow a road legal Superformance built replica Daytona Coupe for the pics, and refer to the ‘six original Shelby cars’. Problem is, the car that Jack was driving was the British built Willment Cobra Coupe, which although similar to the Shelby cars in proportions (they were given the original drawings to work from), was different in a lot of areas, and a complete ‘one off’!

Bit disappointing, especially as the journo concerned races historics......
Old 5 Nov 2019, 08:00 (Ref:3938676)   #5544
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
As it is apparently the M1’s 60th anniversary there’s a piece in last week’s Autocar about Jack Sears testing a Cobra on the motorway before Le Mans in ‘64. They borrow a road legal Superformance built replica Daytona Coupe for the pics, and refer to the ‘six original Shelby cars’. Problem is, the car that Jack was driving was the British built Willment Cobra Coupe, which although similar to the Shelby cars in proportions (they were given the original drawings to work from), was different in a lot of areas, and a complete ‘one off’!

Bit disappointing, especially as the journo concerned races historics......
It was the Daytona that brought about the 70mph speed limit, when it was reported that it had exceeded 140mph on the motor way, causing great alarm. Oh! Dear.

Talking of clued-up journalists, my wife read me apiece out of some daily yesterday that apparently compared Hamilton with Sir Stirling Moss, in which he claimed that Moss would never drive foreign cars. I suppose that Mercedes Benz, and Maserati are British then?

He was confused by the fact that Stirling would never drive for Ferrari after being treated badly by Enzo over a test drive.

No wonder the public think our multiple World Champion walks on water.

Some years ago at the British Grand Prix I was asked by the Press Officer if I would help a fellow journo, from the Sun, with background on major steps forward in Formula 1 cars. I told him about the original Alfa Romeos of 50/51, the rear engine revolution, active suspension aerodynamics etc. The next day there was 'my' article in a double page spread expertly written by the journo. He probably got a pay rise out of that.

Last edited by bauble; 5 Nov 2019 at 08:07.
Old 5 Nov 2019, 11:56 (Ref:3938704)   #5545
midgetman
Veteran

A lesson learned no doubt. It's amazing how much people want for "the good of the sport" .......

Old 5 Nov 2019, 11:56 (Ref:3938705)   #5546
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
It was the Daytona that brought about the 70mph speed limit, when it was reported that it had exceeded 140mph on the motor way, causing great alarm. Oh Dear.
That’s a myth, from what I was told by Jack. The minister responsible, think Barbara Castle, was already planning the limit introduction. Made a good story though......
Old 5 Nov 2019, 13:10 (Ref:3938711)   #5547
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Apparently Bob Dunning is worried because a 2.9 mag earthquake shook his house so he's happy that fracking is stopped. Sorry Bob but you need to do some research https://earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/earthq...uk_events.html a 2+ mag quake happens quite frequently in the UK and in areas where there is no fracking.

The world has gone ****ing mad.
Old 5 Nov 2019, 14:22 (Ref:3938717)   #5548
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
That’s a myth, from what I was told by Jack. The minister responsible, think Barbara Castle, was already planning the limit introduction. Made a good story though......

As best as I can remember, the restriction was introduced for a short period following a number of some very serious multiple vehicle collisions, often during periods of fog. At the end of the trial period, the then Transport Secretary, Barbara Castle, made the restriction permanent.

However, despite the new restriction, both the M1 and the M4 continued to be used during the cover of darkness (and possibly during daylight, as well) to test cars being prepared for racing. Certainly John Wyer's lads often used the M4 from and back to Slough to give the GT40s a bit of a run out before attending meetings.
Old 5 Nov 2019, 14:46 (Ref:3938723)   #5549
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
The world has gone ****ing mad.
It has indeed.
Old 5 Nov 2019, 14:49 (Ref:3938724)   #5550
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Incidentally, I've never felt a 2.9 mag quake. I have been in the middle of 5+ magnitude and yes you do feel them.