Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Oct 2019, 09:30 (Ref:3936668)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
SILVERSTONE CLASSIC 30th Anniversary Edition - Now 2021

The 30th edition of the classic. Much bigger than its original incarnation but also much more diverse.

Grids to follow.
Old 25 Oct 2019, 10:54 (Ref:3936679)   #2
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Great , plus side it’s a month after LMC
Negative close to Oldtimers
Old 25 Oct 2019, 14:48 (Ref:3936719)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Tickets are now available:

https://silverstoneclassic.seeticket...rcuit/1453674?

They're at a "super early bird" price at the moment. So that's the "taking the ****" price at the moment - they'll go up to "how ****ing much?" at some point.
Old 29 Oct 2019, 19:36 (Ref:3937525)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Indeed. Again for the very first time, I've booked as a spectator. We have a pair of 30th anniversary tickets for the MGB. So will be parked in the middle of everything.
Old 29 Oct 2019, 21:34 (Ref:3937540)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Tempted. But coming so close after LM and the LMC (which I'm hoping to get to next year), I may have used up all my goodwill at home by then!
Old 9 Feb 2020, 12:12 (Ref:3956552)   #6
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just seen on HRDC's Instagram that there will be a Alfa Romeo 110th Anniversary race.
Old 9 Feb 2020, 17:02 (Ref:3956638)   #7
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Just seen on HRDC's Instagram that there will be a Alfa Romeo 110th Anniversary race.

Yeah, Julius Thurgood's Classic Alfa Challenge is running a 20 minute qualy on Friday, with 20 minute races on Saturday and Sunday.......all for what he says is the bargain price of £845 - or more than twice what we pay for 30 minutes qualy and a 40 minute race with CSCC . I know this is the GP circuit, but even so..........
Old 9 Feb 2020, 19:22 (Ref:3956656)   #8
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's the Silverstone Classic. Profits have to be made - the bigger the better. There are lots of layers in this set up and all need a good return.
Old 9 Feb 2020, 20:24 (Ref:3956660)   #9
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You do have a choice it seems, you could just not pay the entry and do something else, it does seem rather ludicrous, but then, I don't race and have zero desire to, so maybe a clubbie at Cadwell is not much cheaper!
Old 9 Feb 2020, 21:24 (Ref:3956667)   #10
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For your money you do get several (6?) weekend tickets and free camping unlike, for example, Le Mans who will charge you a further £150 for filthy toilets and dust everywhere. And a free day's testing (of sorts). I've always treated it as a long weekend with family, watch the bands, get drenched at the Delta BBQ etc. Always enjoyed it.
Old 10 Feb 2020, 07:29 (Ref:3956701)   #11
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
It's the Silverstone Classic. Profits have to be made - the bigger the better. There are lots of layers in this set up and all need a good return.
Well of course. You don't grow the best classic meeting on the planet by making losses. If it didn't make handsome profits, there would be no reason to invest in the future. Without profits Silverstone would be the windblown airfield I remember from the seventies. The Classic would be a bunch of mates running downbeat old bangers round in circles, instead of featuring the best racing cars ever seen.

Does Lord March run The Revival as a charity? Le Mans Classic? Monaco? Amelia Island concours? Of course not.

We have such an aversion to profit in this country, totally ignoring the fact that profit provides jobs for thousands round the circuit never mind the wider community.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 10 Feb 2020, 07:47 (Ref:3956702)   #12
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Hear hear - I don't like Silverstone much as a circuit, and to be frank , even in 50 years of attendance it has only ever really 'worked ' with powerful , noisy and very fast cars . But that cavil apart , the Classic is a must see event for me - and why wouldn't it be , as it is the biggest classic race meeting of the year ?

Access all areas is wonderful , and such a contrast to the self important guff which infects modern motorsport , and my three days are very full ones.

Someone always moans about the cost - but as a car club member I get two tickets for about 100 quid , which means less than 20 quid per day... and I get to park a stone's throw from Brooklands . When a BTCC meeting costs you at least £30 for watching spec cars in every support race and as near as dammit in the feature race ... and don't get me started on the crowd and its bloody gazebos ....

My favourite meetings are Goodwood MM and HSCC Cadwell, but the Classic is also a joy .
Old 10 Feb 2020, 14:51 (Ref:3956758)   #13
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Well of course. You don't grow the best classic meeting on the planet by making losses. If it didn't make handsome profits, there would be no reason to invest in the future. Without profits Silverstone would be the windblown airfield I remember from the seventies.

As far as I know the owners of Silverstone are not the promoters of the Silverstone Classic. I think I am right in thinking that the promoter then sells on race slots to other organisations (and possibly on again) and each time these 'layers' make a fat profit without actually adding to the spectacle.

Quote:
Does Lord March run The Revival as a charity? Le Mans Classic? Monaco? Amelia Island concours? Of course not.

Unfortunately Max you've fallen in to the trap of taking an extreme point of view to make your point. Why should objection to greatly increasing the price of an article (the Classic/Revival) have to be seen as wanting charity. Is there no such thing as a middle road?

Quote:
We have such an aversion to profit in this country, totally ignoring the fact that profit provides jobs for thousands round the circuit never mind the wider community.

Maybe some lefties don't like profits, but I think that's the minority and certainly not many in motor racing circles. I am a capitalist by nature and training and I understand the economics of profits paying for research, development, employment etc. and the taxes levied on these profits goes towards all the services we demand such as health, roads, libraries, government, etc. Some may see the Classic as profiteering rather than profit making.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 10 Feb 2020 at 16:01.
Old 10 Feb 2020, 16:07 (Ref:3956770)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
OK, I tend to think that where there is no other game in town, we either pay or do something else. I've seen the entry fees for Masters and they appear to be the same as last year so no increase on that front. I wont be racing but I have taken advantage of the 30th anniversary weekend pass and will be parking our MGB in the central enclosure.

I always enjoy the event and hope I will do so again this year.

Coppice, what car club and what car will you be driving?
Old 11 Feb 2020, 07:54 (Ref:3956906)   #15
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Hi- an MX5 in MX5 club car park - the one with a T70 plate .

I had to give up my beloved Sevens after my back said 'enough '. I am still acclimatising to finishing journeys dry and with my hearing intact .
Old 11 Feb 2020, 08:18 (Ref:3956908)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Good stuff. Will look out for it.
Old 11 Feb 2020, 08:53 (Ref:3956915)   #17
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
As far as I know the owners of Silverstone are not the promoters of the Silverstone Classic. I think I am right in thinking that the promoter then sells on race slots to other organisations (and possibly on again) and each time these 'layers' make a fat profit without actually adding to the spectacle.

Unfortunately Max you've fallen in to the trap of taking an extreme point of view to make your point. Why should objection to greatly increasing the price of an article (the Classic/Revival) have to be seen as wanting charity. Is there no such thing as a middle road?

Maybe some lefties don't like profits, but I think that's the minority and certainly not many in motor racing circles. I am a capitalist by nature and training and I understand the economics of profits paying for research, development, employment etc. and the taxes levied on these profits goes towards all the services we demand such as health, roads, libraries, government, etc. Some may see the Classic as profiteering rather than profit making.
I'm sure Silverstone takes a healthy whack in track rental even if it isn't the ultimate promoter!

And it's not only lefties that despise profit, you'd be amazed at the number of staunch right wingers who, for instance, think I should be doing my job "for the good of the sport" instead of trying to eke a living from it.

I like the Classic. I exhibited there until the cost/benefit ratio went the wrong way for my business and then I stopped. It works for other people though and they continue to exhibit and entertain. Yes it may be expensive but it really works as a package and I don't think of it as profiteering.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 28 Mar 2020, 17:47 (Ref:3967411)   #18
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Yeah, Julius Thurgood's Classic Alfa Challenge is running a 20 minute qualy on Friday, with 20 minute races on Saturday and Sunday.......all for what he says is the bargain price of £845 - or more than twice what we pay for 30 minutes qualy and a 40 minute race with CSCC . I know this is the GP circuit, but even so..........
Just for interest’s sake, Richard, is your 75 eligible for Julius Thurgood’s HRDC Classic Alfa series (when any racing eventually takes place)? I see there is a “Sud class”, are 33s eligible?
Old 1 Apr 2020, 17:36 (Ref:3968071)   #19
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Just for interest’s sake, Richard, is your 75 eligible for Julius Thurgood’s HRDC Classic Alfa series (when any racing eventually takes place)? I see there is a “Sud class”, are 33s eligible?
Yes they are . . .

Sadly I don't think we'll be seeing any sport at least until Autumn the way things are panning out.
Old 2 Apr 2020, 10:18 (Ref:3968184)   #20
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree with you, Joe.

I should have kept my ex Roger Donnan 33. Mind you, I still would not have entered the Classic at the prices Richard quoted earlier.
Old 7 Apr 2020, 11:37 (Ref:3969098)   #21
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post

Somewhat belated reply, mate....no the 75 isn't eligible, although the Alfettas are - the regs say models from the 750 - 116 range of vehicles.... EDIT: I've just checked and James Wright did run a 75 in end of season meeet last year, at least......so Julius is obviously flexible in his interpretation of the rules....

As we race as a partnership these races wouldn't suit us, anyway...and I certainly couldn't afford - and wouldn't pay, the sort of money for the Silverstone Classic rounds. Not that I think it very likely that the Classic will run - at least on that date......

Last edited by Lancsbreaker; 7 Apr 2020 at 11:47.
Old 7 Apr 2020, 11:50 (Ref:3969101)   #22
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Somewhat belated reply, mate....no the 75 isn't eligible, although the Alfettas are - the regs say models from the 750 - 116 range of vehicles....

As we race as a partnership these races wouldn't suit us, anyway...and I certainly couldn't afford - and wouldn't pay, the sort of money for the Silverstone Classic rounds. Not that I think it very likely that the Classic will run - at least on that date......
Agree with you about the entry fees, Richard! And the fact that the meeting won’t run.
Joe seems to think that 75s are eligible?
It seems strange to me that 75s would not be eligible, whilst not actually a 116 platform (I don’t think) it is clearly a development of that platform and the 116 Giulietta and was the last of the pre Fiat control RWD cars.
It would seem sensible to have regs that allow all cars in that are “Pre Fiat”.
Sorry, thread creep, but what the hell, we are all bored, I am sure.
Old 7 Apr 2020, 13:15 (Ref:3969114)   #23
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I was making an educated guess, and specifically about Suds ( Chris Whelan has an ex works one and has been out . . . this is based on the track day last month . . . . I know the wifes 'new' Giullieta I'm caning around in isn't eligible. Nor the Giulia I'm eyeing up to replace my pensionable Subaru!
Old 7 Apr 2020, 13:38 (Ref:3969119)   #24
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I was making an educated guess, and specifically about Suds ( Chris Whelan has an ex works one and has been out . . . this is based on the track day last month . . . . I know the wifes 'new' Giullieta I'm caning around in isn't eligible. Nor the Giulia I'm eyeing up to replace my pensionable Subaru!
Sud’s and Sprints definitely race, Joe, but not sure about 33s (but they are largely the same floor pan and drivetrain) though.

And the Classic Alfa race at Silverstone in 2019 definitely had one x Alfa 75 Twin Spark in it, driven by a James Wright. The Alfarace.com race report refers. https://alfaracer.com/classic-alfa-c...verstone-2019/. However, I also don’t see any V6 engined cars, and surely the Busso V6 is very definitely a “Classic Alfa” engine, but not the much later GM based 3.2, but I can’t actually find the regs anyway!

Mods, maybe we should separate out a discussion of the HRDC Classic Alfa series?

Last edited by andy97; 7 Apr 2020 at 13:49.
Old 7 Apr 2020, 17:21 (Ref:3969152)   #25
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
I'd corrected my post in edit when I realised that James Wright had been out in a 75 Further checking has also shown that at least two Giuliettas have been out in the series.

Despite requests (I'm the Director for Motorsport for the Alfa Romeo Owners Club) I've never actually seen any regs for Julius's series - the entry form for the Silverstone Classic merely says :
"This race is open to competitors racing any Classic or Historic production-based Alfa Romeo from the 750 - 116 range of models.
Cars must be recognised by one or any of the respective organisations:
FIA
HRDC
HSCC

Cars must run the tyres permitted by their respective registered Clubs or Series. NO SLICKS OR CUT SLICKS ARE ALLOWED"

Its one of the most "relaxed" series I've seen with regard to regs