Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 6 May 2003, 19:08 (Ref:591377)   #1
19000RPM
Rookie

United States
Naples FL & Atlanta GA
19000RPM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Taurus Lola

I was reading on DSC that the Taurus Lola featured a long tail at the test day over the weekend and I was wondering what the exact benefits of this design are. Also, seeing as that current design philosophy includes a long tail, how come Lola have not developed an update kit for such a modification, while the individual teams are left to doing it themselves. Do you guys have any pictures or links to pictures of this "new" Taurus Lola. Thanks!

-Jeremy
Old 6 May 2003, 19:15 (Ref:591383)   #2
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There should be pics of the Taurus Lola on the Official Le Mans site...

Maybe this is a question for others...but I thought that the Lola group had put its focus into the 675 prototype over the past few years and no longer built the 900 that Taurus is driving...they got that chassis from another team or had it under another team name, didn't they???

I'm not sure on the above...maybe others can answer better than I

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 6 May 2003, 19:26 (Ref:591395)   #3
hartham
Rookie

United Kingdom
Corsham, Wiltshire
hartham has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
here is a picture of the taurus lola from the weekend

continued development from Lola's point of view is very expensive so they leave it up to the teams

The long tail helps to maximise diffuser length, whilst keeping airflow attached on the top surface
Attached Thumbnails
le mans pre quali 2003 006.jpg  
Old 6 May 2003, 19:28 (Ref:591400)   #4
hartham
Rookie

United Kingdom
Corsham, Wiltshire
I know that the long tail was a last minute design change before LMPQ, and that wind tunnel time was small

another picture.....
Attached Thumbnails
le mans pre quali 2003 172.jpg  
Old 6 May 2003, 19:31 (Ref:591403)   #5
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
According to Autosport a few weeks back Lola are designing a new LMP900/LMGTP that will have styling cues from an unknown manufactuer. Lola were also supposed to be desining a new carbon GTS car for this manufactuer.

I also read that Lola will have there new LMP out testing in later half of 2003 ready for 2004.
Old 6 May 2003, 19:40 (Ref:591412)   #6
hartham
Rookie

United Kingdom
Corsham, Wiltshire
where did you read that?
Old 6 May 2003, 19:42 (Ref:591417)   #7
batcave
Rookie

batcave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nobody is really sure whether the new long tail version actually works. It was a fairly rushed job and so far there is no real data. it certainly has given the car a lot more downforce but possibly a lot of drag too. That caused straight line speed problems so it certainly needs looking at more closely.
Old 6 May 2003, 19:54 (Ref:591448)   #8
hartham
Rookie

United Kingdom
Corsham, Wiltshire
batcave...... are you one of the taurus team?

its Andre here if you are....
Old 6 May 2003, 20:02 (Ref:591460)   #9
batcave
Rookie

possibly may have some connection...
Old 6 May 2003, 20:06 (Ref:591465)   #10
hartham
Rookie

United Kingdom
Corsham, Wiltshire
are you richard

or andy

or dougie

or fred

or simon

or Mr Ian Dawson himself....?
Old 6 May 2003, 20:13 (Ref:591478)   #11
hartham
Rookie

United Kingdom
Corsham, Wiltshire
aaaahhhhhaaaaaa.....
Old 6 May 2003, 20:18 (Ref:591497)   #12
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by hartham
where did you read that?
I assume your talking about Autosport....

In Autosport in March or early April there was a news story saying a unamed manufactuer had commisionned Lola to produce a new carbon chassis GTS car. An LMP900/LMGTP would also be built with styling cues from the GTS car.

The article said this project was seperate to Lolas own LMP900/LMGTP customer car project but this may be scrapped to concentrate on the aformentioned cars, (no use competing against yourself for sales).

The article also said the GTS car was thought to be based on an abandoned Panoz GTS design, (maybe GT1 design when they switched to an open top car).
Old 6 May 2003, 20:23 (Ref:591509)   #13
19000RPM
Rookie

United States
Naples FL & Atlanta GA
19000RPM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, thanks for the information and pictures hartham and batcave. I'm assuming Taurus will continue to develop this new design in the weeks preceeding the 24 hours. One thing I'm curious about in the pictures though: the rear wing seems to be awfully high. I thought it was common practice to use a shorter rear wing for Le Mans (examples: Dome and the Nasamax Reynard). Doesn't this also benefit straight line speed?

-Jeremy
Old 6 May 2003, 20:33 (Ref:591521)   #14
batcave
Rookie

Jeremy - Very well observed about the rear wing! You are right. The rear wing does seem a little too exposed to clean air for a circuit such as le mans. There is however a reason why they couldn't get the wing any lower with the amount of time available.
Old 6 May 2003, 22:23 (Ref:591693)   #15
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
long tail you say ?

well, sit on it then

Attached Thumbnails
22.jpg  
Old 6 May 2003, 22:38 (Ref:591720)   #16
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
more seriouly, 2 pics of it

Attached Thumbnails
22.jpg  
Old 6 May 2003, 22:53 (Ref:591739)   #17
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Dailysportcar indicated the Taurus longtail mods were factory (Lola) developed bits. Any truth to this?
Old 7 May 2003, 05:49 (Ref:591926)   #18
batcave
Rookie

No truth at all!!!!!!
Old 7 May 2003, 05:57 (Ref:591927)   #19
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope this car makes the grid.
Old 7 May 2003, 06:44 (Ref:591950)   #20
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

I hope to see the car on the grid too : Batcave, what are your expectations about it ?

I have to precise that this car was my favourite one in 2000. Batcave, you bought it to Rafanelli ?
Old 7 May 2003, 08:03 (Ref:592017)   #21
hartham
Rookie

United Kingdom
Corsham, Wiltshire
The ACO were acting in their usual way.... the fact that there were 3 slower 900 cars than the Taurus at PQ, and that the Norma Ford was 10 secs off the Taurus pace didn't seem to matter.....

this car was the Rafanelli car that was on show (for sale) in "lovely" red and green olive garden livery at autosport international show this year... the Taurus team did extremely well to give such a good showing at Sebring and LMPQ considering the timescales....
Old 7 May 2003, 08:38 (Ref:592051)   #22
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
This car was the Rafanelli car that was on show (for sale) in "lovely" red and green olive garden livery
Too bad for the livery, it was just great IMO... the black one is a little bit anonymous, and the car deserves a more brilliant one... any chance, BatCave ? I'm just teasing you, I assume it's an official livery for the Taurus team... congratulations to them, anyway, and thank you for having bringing back that wonderful car/sound at LM !
Old 7 May 2003, 08:48 (Ref:592066)   #23
hartham
Rookie

United Kingdom
Corsham, Wiltshire
the red roll hoop is the colour remaining from the old red and green livery..... just a quick black paint job on the rest.... Taurus clours are white and black as per their team outfits at LMPQ
Old 7 May 2003, 10:49 (Ref:592184)   #24
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
I hope this car makes the grid.
My sentiments exactly.
Old 7 May 2003, 13:37 (Ref:592378)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The ACO were acting in their usual way.... the fact that there were 3 slower 900 cars than the Taurus at PQ, and that the Norma Ford was 10 secs off the Taurus pace didn't seem to matter.....

My emphasis on the PQ.

It isn't.

Preliminary testing or Test Day, call it what you will - it ain't pre-qualifying any more. These who are selected as reserves (rightly or wrongly) are in the lap of the Gods. Even superhuman performance at the Test Day won't guarantee a place on the grid come June.

But yes, I'd like to see the Taurus car there too, FWIW

Last edited by Aysedasi; 7 May 2003 at 13:38.