Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Sep 2009, 10:52 (Ref:2533673)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
AMOC, Thruxton (not Snetterton), 12 September 2009

This is the first time in many years that AMOC have run a meeting at Thruxton, and I'm going to get there, so it'll be my first visit for many years, too.

I am advised that this event is still open for accepting entries.

See here:-

http://www.amoc.org/index.php?option...view&extid=680

It's £220 for one race or £340 for two x 20 minute races.

More entries particularly in the 50s Team handicap and the Intermarque would be good, and of course, Super GT certainly needs a boost in entries.
Old 3 Sep 2009, 12:00 (Ref:2533727)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
This is the first time in many years that AMOC have run a meeting at Thruxton, and I'm going to get there, so it'll be my first visit for many years, too.
John, just make sure you head south and not east- (from your thread title!)
Old 3 Sep 2009, 12:25 (Ref:2533743)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old 3 Sep 2009, 14:06 (Ref:2533806)   #4
AGD A105/6
Racer

England
SW London
AGD A105/6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sent in my entry for both Intermarque races on Tuesday, think we have 5 Tigers so far. Looking forward to a rare opportunity, even if I will be plodding around at the back, FIA cars are a little outclassed in this race!

It would be great to see the same crowds at Thruxton as there were at Castle Combe on Monday, amazing turnout.
Old 3 Sep 2009, 18:17 (Ref:2533961)   #5
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While I doubt the crowds will be Combe sized, there are many people looking forward to this meeting.
Old 3 Sep 2009, 19:51 (Ref:2534035)   #6
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Redneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRedneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there making tea for Colin Jones in the purple (yes purple) MGA Twin Cam with the Thoroughbred Sportscars and doing my best to get sunburned on the back of my neck.
Old 4 Sep 2009, 08:30 (Ref:2534254)   #7
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jason and I will be there racing our Lancia Aurelia with the team in the 50's Team Challenge. As it's a double header for us we each get a race - as it's our very first time racing at Thruxton, we're really looking forward to it.
Old 4 Sep 2009, 12:00 (Ref:2534344)   #8
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there in the SZ, too.

We're currently tied in the lead of the 50s Sports Car Team Challenge with those pesky Aurelias....

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAK View Post
Jason and I will be there racing our Lancia Aurelia with the team in the 50's Team Challenge. As it's a double header for us we each get a race - as it's our very first time racing at Thruxton, we're really looking forward to it.
Old 4 Sep 2009, 12:07 (Ref:2534350)   #9
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRacer View Post
I'll be there in the SZ, too.

We're currently tied in the lead of the 50s Sports Car Team Challenge with those pesky Aurelias....

James
My dearest James - providing an Italian team does well overall, I'm sure we'll all be happy although the fight for top Italian honours between Lancia and Alfa will be fun .

Look forward to seeing you there.
Old 6 Sep 2009, 19:05 (Ref:2535467)   #10
Barman1963
Rookie

Barman1963 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aaaarrrrggghhhhhhh........please stop telling me just what wonderful cars and races I'm going to be missing. I am unable to marshal this Saturday due to work commitments - be kind to me !
Old 10 Sep 2009, 13:26 (Ref:2537774)   #11
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'll be there. Pity the SGT has only 6 competitors - they are going to make a loss on this and be luck if it will carry on (me thinks with MSA watching average grid sizes). 18 months too early for me, and not prepared to tool about at the back in a TR (racing it as hard as it can be and come no where!).
Old 10 Sep 2009, 13:30 (Ref:2537777)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yep, Super GT grids are a problem. We could have hoped for more now that we are into its 2nd season.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 13:41 (Ref:2537784)   #13
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Yep, Super GT grids are a problem. We could have hoped for more now that we are into its 2nd season.
It is weird as you would think alot of the extremely modded cars that run in the intermarque challenge would have a pop at SGT. It is good value.

I personally just think there are WAY too many "slightly" different championships that just over lap and the economic climate is just killing this.

Too many diversion championships on so many bill you see. Some you see and just go "Why", and wander off for a burger till something worth watching is on.

From Martin Atack:-

Dear Competitor,

Our Oulton park entry on 26th October (outround with BARC) is still low. Thanks to those of you who have replied saying you do or do not intend to race at this meeting, at least if I know people definitely are not coming it helps us to plan.

We understand the problems with preparing this sort of car and the costs involved, (especially in the current economic climate). There are a number of cars being prepared for next season but experience shows that these cars often take longer to prepare than originally thought, so whether we see them on the grid or not is an unknown quantity.

This year so far we have had entries from 21 competitors overall plus 9 Ferrari Open entries but most of these have done one race only and our average grid size is less than 15 and after Thruxton and Oulton might even be in single figures. At the beginning of the season 30 competitors registered to run in Super GT with the Ferrari open competitors we should have over 50 potential cars so grids really are disappointing. In fact of the 30 registered competitors there are 15 we have not seen in Super GT at all this year.

Although Mark Campbell and I are massive supporters of Super GT comps are under increasing financial pressure this year and all low grids are coming under increased scrutiny, for example at Thruxton this weekend our best supported race will be the Monoposto challenge (full grid) and our worst supported in order Super GT (6), Intermarque (16), 50s Sports Cars (22). The only grids that are really going to be profitable are the two sold grids (Formula Junior & Throughbred GT), and the guest races from Classic Formula 3 (25) and Monoposto (35).

With our last race of the season being on the Internatonal Circuit at Silverstone where most people are indicating they would like to race there is pressure to accept an invitation grid from Clubmans for the Haggis Trophy rather than run another disappointing Super GT race.

We have tried to listen, thirty minutes seems about the right length for Super GT races although with perhaps between one and three endurance races (should track time allow) for the purer GT cars.

Obviously there is competition from GT Cup, Britcar and British GT but we believe our entry fees are competitive and above all we are a not for profit club run for the benefit of our members. I have to say I personally am mystified as to why Super GT hasn’t got much better grids and it is becoming increasingly difficult to support running the races.
So please may I ask you all to make a special effort for Silverstone on 18 October and if any of you are still able to come to Thruxton on 12th September or Oulton on 26th September then we will still accept a late entry (entry forms are attached).
Regards,
Martin Atack
Competitions Manager
Aston Martin Owners Club

I'd be out there but car only just stating to take shape. Thoroughbreds being a sold will just make a profit (but is under the max for the grid).

Where are all these Ferrari and 21 people that signed up!

Mind it does make me laugh, some years the Thoroughbreds get 70+ people registering but most of that will not do even one race, and many just do one or two. To be honest it would be better if this type of racer did not bother registering, it is a core 10-15 or so that usually prop up the series (any series), the rest being registered (IMHO) just so they can say they "Race" down the pub!!!!!!!!!
Old 10 Sep 2009, 15:10 (Ref:2537830)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellison View Post
To be honest it would be better if this type of racer did not bother registering, it is a core 10-15 or so that usually prop up the series (any series), the rest being registered (IMHO) just so they can say they "Race" down the pub!!!!!!!!!
Just a small point here.

As someone who can't be arsed to race because you can't win you may see the irony in your statement.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 15:17 (Ref:2537831)   #15
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Just a small point here.

As someone who can't be arsed to race because you can't win you may see the irony in your statement.
What are you on about?

I am not racing this year, but when I do I do most if not all of the races in a championship.

Do you spend you entire life on here BTW.

Does work know how much you post!!!!!!!!
Old 10 Sep 2009, 15:21 (Ref:2537834)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there

I finished work some time ago, how about you?

BTW read the FAQs

This was my point but perhaps it was too difficult for you.

Quote:
too early for me, and not prepared to tool about at the back in a TR (racing it as hard as it can be and come no where!).
Old 10 Sep 2009, 15:25 (Ref:2537838)   #17
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
and not prepared to tool about at the back in a TR (racing it as hard as it can be and come no where!).
Jon, see your quote here.

1) Peter is a senior mod here, and to perform that role properly he has to be here often. Besides, he has been a member many years - see joining date - happy 10th anniv, Peter.

2) The last question is irrelevant in Peter's case, as frankly was the question in the first place.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 15:29 (Ref:2537842)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Ooops, snap!

I suppose, just to lighten this up, I had better add that as everyone probably knows by now, I'm an Aston fanatic, but I now ought to own up to the fact that I have just accepted an offer to join the AMOC comp committee. However, I will remain impartial on here! However, it does mean that I have more than a passing interest in AMOC grid sizes, and clearly Super GT has to be vulnerable. Let's see what Thruxton brings.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 15:59 (Ref:2537868)   #19
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey

Cool John.

To clarify the above.

I am not a registered competitor in the SGT (I am on the mailing list because I have discussed with the series organiser that I am building a car that would go well in it (not a Winged wonder like the Ellis / Marsh cars, but damned fast). I have helped get one or two people from PH that race signed up for SGT though! They changed the rules to allows new cars in this year BTW (you can run an engine that was not originally from the shape / manufacturer of car you are running), I had a had in saying if they could do this then they would be cars I know about that would be suitable. i.e. Andy Holden Awesome Sagaris with an tuned LSX Chevy lump.

The other cars I have are in no way the type of cars that really fit in with SGT, so you would not want to rag them round miles off at the back. I am not racing this year, but when I do, I do most if not all of the races in a Championship.

Just trying to fill in some blanks for people that are genuinely interested in SGT.

I'll be there on saturday 1 cos the series I normally race with are there (fingers X'd my lap record does not go) and I have wanted to see an SGT race this year (just a pity it is so few cars). I'd be there in a Griff if I had a time machine
Old 10 Sep 2009, 16:02 (Ref:2537872)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
*sigh*
Old 10 Sep 2009, 17:06 (Ref:2537906)   #21
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
6 Super GTs ....at least their 30 minute race is the last on the card
Old 10 Sep 2009, 17:29 (Ref:2537920)   #22
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I just hope the man on the gate isn't too obstructive as my tickets seem to be somewhere in London with the other 20 million items of undelivered mail.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 19:02 (Ref:2537988)   #23
robm
Rookie

European Union
Hampshire
robm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad you said that, Maybe I'm not the only one who has their tickets gone AWOL.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 19:26 (Ref:2537993)   #24
Chris Acklam
Rookie

Chris Acklam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mine arrived this morning in an envelope franked 1st class but dated 9/9/09, so they were only sent out yesterday .... :-(

Chris
Old 10 Sep 2009, 19:57 (Ref:2538013)   #25
Sparton
Rookie

Sparton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well most of us F.Junior racers haven't received them either, but as I'm near Kings Lynn perhaps it's another NFN!