Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Nov 2015, 21:28 (Ref:3594554)   #51
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
the BRDC president was one of the stewards so Max got penalties for both incidents with BRDC members Button and Hamilton, ridiculous.

Warwick clearly wasn't impartial there.

I saw 1 shot of Hamilton waving behind the Toro Rosso, but he was not even close at that point.
Are you genuinely questioning the intregity of Derek Warwick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post

Not only that, but in Abu Dhabi, Rosberg finds a whopping 0.742 seconds between Q2 and Q3,while Hamilton, on the other hand, finds 0.144 secs.

Analyse that Mercedes!
There can be no other possible explanation. Are you genuinely saying they hampered Hamilton's chances on purpose?
Old 30 Nov 2015, 21:33 (Ref:3594556)   #52
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
And I used to believe that Volkswagen produced cars with very low carbon dioxide emissions........it's all in the software.

Hamilton cruises to his third World Title with 3 races still to go, then suddenly gets blown away over what's left of the season.

Not only that, but in Abu Dhabi, Rosberg finds a whopping 0.742 seconds between Q2 and Q3,while Hamilton, on the other hand, finds 0.144 secs.

Analyse that Mercedes!
So if I am counting correctly, for Hamilton to Rosberg wins in 2014 it was 11 to 5 and in 2015 it was 10 to 6 with the two "generally" only having a single place difference between them. The last three races Lewis is "blown away" by his second place finishes by being how far back from the winner? Eight seconds at Abu Dhabi, eight seconds in Brazil and 2 seconds in Mexico. Maybe Lewis should just give up and retire now as he clearly is not even close to this upstart Rosberg fellow?

I am reading an interesting book right now that talks a good bit to statistics and randomness ("The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives" by Leonard Mlodinow). I haven't done the math, but given these two are relatively close to each other (yes, Hamilton has the measure of Rosberg on average, but Rosberg can still win against Hamilton), I suspect that there is no statistical significance to a series of three wins for Rosberg! In fact it probably is to be expected. Check for yourself. Write a simulation in which Hamilton wins 11 times (69%) to Rosberg's 5 (31%) over an entire season. See how many seasons it would take for Rosberg to string together three. Remember Rosberg had two in a row earlier in the season and it would have been three in a row except for Hamilton won in Canada and split the three.

Congratulations to Nico for some good end of season performance and I hope he keeps Hamilton honest next year, but don't read too much into this people!

Richard

PS: Off to adjust my tin hat and hide under my desk from the black helicopters.
Old 30 Nov 2015, 23:31 (Ref:3594579)   #53
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In Q1 and Q2 Hamilton was two tenths quicker than Rosberg, about what we've come to expect.

Meantime, Rosberg goes Q1:1.41.111 Q2:1.40.979 Q3: 1.40.237 !!!
Hamilton goes: Q1:1.40.974 Q2:1.40.758 Q3: 1.40.614

How does one driver in an "identical" car suddenly find 0.742 seconds?

Teams like Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren would spend millions finding that sort of performance gain. Rosberg did it between qualifying sessions....I don't know how you can do that.....
Old 1 Dec 2015, 01:21 (Ref:3594599)   #54
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Nico has made a great effort in the last three races in improving himself in setting up for the 2016 season.

I think Lewis is a worthy champion who simply has given a lot of achieve the title this year and as soon as the pressure as off after Austin has dropped his game on the off the track just slightly which has shown in the results.
Old 1 Dec 2015, 07:21 (Ref:3594643)   #55
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
In Q1 and Q2 Hamilton was two tenths quicker than Rosberg, about what we've come to expect.

Perhaps Kimi could tell you? Or Perez, or Massa. They all found a good chunk of time between Q2 and Q3.

Perhaps the real question is - how does a driver not make a greater improvement between Q2 and Q3?
Given that they have a free set of tyres for Q3, the only driver who failed to improve their time was Carlos Sainz Jr.
Old 1 Dec 2015, 09:51 (Ref:3594673)   #56
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well IMHO if Lewis spent more time working with the engineers and aero people then he would have more input into changes, but he has better things to do so Nico perhaps has the greater input, if lewis wants to be seen as the modern day Senna then perhaps he should look at how he spent his time when not racing.
Old 1 Dec 2015, 11:17 (Ref:3594691)   #57
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Teams like Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren would spend millions finding that sort of performance gain. Rosberg did it between qualifying sessions....I don't know how you can do that.....
I think Nico did not give it 100% in Q2. Neither did Lewis, Nico just drove slower than Lewis.
He also did that in Brasil.

Why? There's no need to drive 100%, the only important thing is to get into top 10. The main thing is to conserve your tires as much as possible since that will be your race set.
Old 1 Dec 2015, 16:31 (Ref:3594788)   #58
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

If you look at the overall largest delta within qualifying (Max Q time - Min Q time) you can see even larger differences (past three races as I don't have the time to show a larger sample)....

RaceDriverQ1Q2Q3MaxMinDelta
Abu DhabiHamilton100.974100.758100.614100.974100.614-0.36
Abu DhabiRosberg101.111100.979100.237101.111100.237-0.874
BrazilHamilton71.68271.66571.3671.68271.36-0.322
BrazilRosberg71.74672.21371.28272.21371.282-0.931
MexicoHamilton80.80879.82979.66880.80879.668-1.14
MexicoRosberg80.43680.05379.4880.43679.48-0.956

What can you glean from this? I am not sure. I guess you can say that maybe in general Rosberg tends to have a wider range between his fastest and slowest Q times while Hamilton has a smaller range. That 1.14 seconds in Mexico is huge. A much larger than difference than Rosberg in Abu Dhabi. Rosberg also did 0.93 in Brazil. What does that mean? Are big Q delta's unique or even important?

The point is... For the reasons mentioned in the posts above, if you understand how qualifying works, it becomes clear that it is likely a mostly pointless value if you are trying to come to large conclusions. There is no doubt that interesting data can be extracted from practice, qualifying and race timing data, however this metric is likely of low value.

Richard
Old 1 Dec 2015, 23:08 (Ref:3594877)   #59
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For those interested in statistics, it is interesting that, considering that the car is believed to be one of the slowest of this year's crop, the McLaren of Alonso managed to achieve the 3rd fastest lap of the race (lap 52), just 0.279 of a second slower than Hamilton on lap 44.

And during today's tyre test, Vandoorne in the McLaren was fastest on 1min 44.003s, which was nearly half a second quicker than Hamilton's time on Sunday. Surely it means that the McLaren can't be all that of a dog, can it?
Old 2 Dec 2015, 11:28 (Ref:3594942)   #60
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
I don't know why but the McLaren seemed pretty competitive in Abu Dhabi.
Alonso was fast in practice as well, but sadly couldn't prove it in qualifying (puncture) or in the race (1st corner accident)

Button was hanging in near the top 10 and never got embarrassed.

So, it's not really a surprise that Vandoorne is fast too?

If it is only working at this track, that would be a shame for them.
Otherwise, they have probably made some genuine progress.
Old 4 Dec 2015, 09:50 (Ref:3595429)   #61
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hamilton himself is now saying he's lost 0.5 second.

I don't think he believes this for one moment, it's far more serious than that.
I'm no Hamilton disciple, but when a driver starts to have trust issues with his team, then it becomes a psychological problem that's very hard to cure.

If Rosberg starts next season how he finished 2015, then I fully expect fireworks in the Mercedes camp......even to the point where Hamilton quits.
Old 4 Dec 2015, 11:09 (Ref:3595441)   #62
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I'll reserve judgement till next year. If he's being beaten, I'll put it down to the fact he has won the three titles he is after and so doesn't need another one
Old 4 Dec 2015, 16:37 (Ref:3595491)   #63
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Hamilton himself is now saying he's lost 0.5 second.

I don't think he believes this for one moment, it's far more serious than that.
I'm no Hamilton disciple, but when a driver starts to have trust issues with his team, then it becomes a psychological problem that's very hard to cure.

If Rosberg starts next season how he finished 2015, then I fully expect fireworks in the Mercedes camp......even to the point where Hamilton quits.
We all know Hamilton has a sulky, petulant side to him if things don't go his way. Hopefully, with three WDCs under his belt and this year's being pretty much gifted, he has grown up and can take the rough with the smooth.

The alternative is Rosberg quitting, if he has to play second fiddle to Hamilton, again.
Old 5 Dec 2015, 06:28 (Ref:3595623)   #64
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
We all know Hamilton has a sulky, petulant side to him if things don't go his way. Hopefully, with three WDCs under his belt and this year's being pretty much gifted, he has grown up and can take the rough with the smooth.

The alternative is Rosberg quitting, if he has to play second fiddle to Hamilton, again.
I really believe that Mercedes are just manipulating the results and some engine maps are different from the others despite having the same values on the dash.
Motor Racing fully corporatized!
Old 5 Dec 2015, 07:42 (Ref:3595630)   #65
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
When did they start doing this and who decided to do it?
Old 5 Dec 2015, 08:05 (Ref:3595632)   #66
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 6 Dec 2015, 01:29 (Ref:3595757)   #67
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
When did they start doing this and who decided to do it?
http://au.eurosport.com/formula-1/wo...54/story.shtml

When asked whether Mercedes could keep a lid on the simmering tensions between its drivers, Wolff said: "Yes. Absolutely. They are part of a very large organisation and I have 110 per cent confidence that it will not be to the detriment of the team."

Monaco 2014, Mssrs. Wolff and Lauda protecting their investment would be my guess.

Funny how there was plenty of needle and Rosberg regularly outqualified Hamilton till this point, then fell off despite them being allowed to race one another.

The change in form at the end of the season, proving to the WDC that he is expendable if necessary.

Still that is only my opinion.

This is the worst case of a team dominating F1 we have ever seen, 15 consecutive front row lock outs, unheard of.
Old 6 Dec 2015, 02:37 (Ref:3595776)   #68
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
This is the worst case of a team dominating F1 we have ever seen, 15 consecutive front row lock outs, unheard of.
Assuming that is true (haven't looked up the stats) and I see no reason to doubt it...

Then the question is... Why would Mercedes risk being discovered embarking upon a level of shenanigans (running different levels of engine code than what is being presented during scrutineering) that would have potential huge championship implications (loss of points with many teams pushing for exclusion from championship) all to stroke driver egos? Explain the risk vs. reward on that one.

It makes zero sense. Especially as there is a ton of other ways to "fix" the performance of the cars to favor a driver (of which I highly doubt happened anyhow) without running afoul of the FIA.

It still amazes me that people gravitate to the "conspiracy theory" solutions when the straight up fact is that nobody is going to be on their "A" game at all times. And that competition is high in this sport. Are we to next question ANY of Rosberg's wins? Clearly something is up that he managed to out qualify and beat Hamilton on occasion?

We don't just need the "Is Hamilton popular?" thread, but a "Have his fan's lost their marbles?" thread. God help us if this is what we talk about during the off season.

Richard
Old 6 Dec 2015, 08:51 (Ref:3595854)   #69
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good post, Richard.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 6 Dec 2015, 09:12 (Ref:3595857)   #70
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
All the circumstantial evidence is kind of there. Guilty.
Old 6 Dec 2015, 10:04 (Ref:3595868)   #71
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
[QUOTE] [Then the question is... Why would Mercedes risk being discovered embarking upon a level of shenanigans (running different levels of engine code than what is being presented during scrutineering) that would have potential huge championship implications (loss of points with many teams pushing for exclusion from championship) all to stroke driver egos? Explain the risk vs. reward on that one.
/QUOTE]

Hmmmm! There is some previous here Richard, with German companies fooling the 'scrutineers'.

Anyway when it comes to conspiracy I am still convinced that Nico's mistake that allowed Lewis past in the USA was 'manufactured' so that Hamilton would clinch the Championship with a win. He would not have been happy winning another title by coming behind his team mate. Definite bias there.

PS; Why can you not add smileys when editing?

Last edited by bauble; 6 Dec 2015 at 10:08. Reason: Additional Tripe Added.
Old 6 Dec 2015, 12:07 (Ref:3595886)   #72
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Then the question is... Why would Mercedes risk being discovered embarking upon a level of shenanigans (running different levels of engine code than what is being presented during scrutineering) that would have potential huge championship implications (loss of points with many teams pushing for exclusion from championship) all to stroke driver egos? Explain the risk vs. reward on that one.
While I have no idea if Mercedes are manipulating the power output of their driver's engines, we already know Mercedes can run 2 different levels of engine code and both of them can still be fully legal.

They would just need to use the mapping they supply to all their customer teams.
Old 6 Dec 2015, 19:46 (Ref:3595949)   #73
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Never suspect a conspiracy until you have eliminated incompetence.

In this case the "incompetence" is just a micro-level difference in driver performance. The difference between all drivers these days is minute, and between Hamilton and Rosberg it is positively nano. It may be the tyre pressure restrictions suit Rosberg more, or Hamilton has lifted off now he has the championship, or he's getting burnt out by all the extra-curricular jollying, or Rosberg has raised himself by taking away the championship pressure, or ....
Old 6 Dec 2015, 19:51 (Ref:3595950)   #74
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Hmmmm! There is some previous here Richard, with German companies fooling the 'scrutineers'.
Well... Yes. But I think the potential "reward" was much higher for VW (assuming that is what you are talking about!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Anyway when it comes to conspiracy I am still convinced that Nico's mistake that allowed Lewis past in the USA was 'manufactured' so that Hamilton would clinch the Championship with a win. He would not have been happy winning another title by coming behind his team mate. Definite bias there.
Its been long enough that I can't remember exactly what all happened at the US GP (I didn't watch it live and fast forwarded through much of it). Rosberg ran wide under pressure if I remember correctly? It seemed natural enough. I think there is precedence for Rosberg having issues when under pressure.

Regardless, a driver taking a dive under command (even if not happy about it) does happen. And there is even other situations in which its not even hidden. Usually is is the "cars are on different strategy" stuff when someone effectively gets a wave by pass on a teammate.

And... we are hyper focused on those who unfairly prevented Hamilton from winning every race this year (sorry, I can't help but to keep poking), but there is also the stuff that goes on between teams such as the stuff with Audi DTM in Moscow. The entire "push him out" thing. How much of that goes on in F1 and we just don't see or notice it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
While I have no idea if Mercedes are manipulating the power output of their driver's engines, we already know Mercedes can run 2 different levels of engine code and both of them can still be fully legal.

They would just need to use the mapping they supply to all their customer teams.
They could. But I expect that is too heavy handed to do within a factory team. A less overt way is things like "we only have one of the new development parts" type of stuff. But you see teams like McLaren doing what I think is round robin style in that they take turns if there is a shortage.

Is it possible odd stuff was going on recently within Mercedes? Sure. I still believe that its just more likely that Hamilton has not been on top form (he has given a few good lifestyle related examples for sure) and that Nico has been on better form.

Richard
Old 19 Dec 2015, 23:05 (Ref:3598863)   #75
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Derek Bell talks about the theories about Mercedes favouring drivers in the latest Octane magazine.