2 24 22.22%
1 11 10.19%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 Jun 2011, 20:51 (Ref:2907026)   #76
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think you guys are being a bit harsh with the 3s: you've obviously upped your standards since last year. I was thinking 4 or 5. The race might have deserved a 5 if it hadn't bored me so much that I fell asleep. I woke up wondering how Alonso got in front of Webber and Massa got in front of Button. So 4.

I do worry slightly that the first third of the season was just an exceptional situation, rather than a totally representative indication of the rules/cars/tyres. Hopefully future races will prove me wrong.

It really is time to get rid of this circuit ( and quite a few others, but that's not the point of this thread). If we are to have another race in Spain, why not Jerez?
Old 27 Jun 2011, 21:05 (Ref:2907035)   #77
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
I think you guys are being a bit harsh with the 3s: you've obviously upped your standards since last year. I was thinking 4 or 5. The race might have deserved a 5 if it hadn't bored me so much that I fell asleep. I woke up wondering how Alonso got in front of Webber and Massa got in front of Button. So 4.
Haha! We must have fallen asleep in unisen. I must have fallen asleep for a good few laps because when I had woken up, Alonso was in front of Webber again and somehow Webber had lost a lot of speed, or had a gearbox problem or something anyway, I woke up, really confused, and I think there was about 4 laps left or something.

I wonder if there is some kind of law which states you can't broadcast material which is likely to make people drowsy? Mind control maybe?
Old 28 Jun 2011, 10:29 (Ref:2907241)   #78
Grandpa_Rob
Racer

Australia
Oz
Grandpa_Rob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Admittedly most of the racing was quite close and adrenaline pumping from a drivers point, but as a spectator not what l hoped the DRS & KERS would provide like it had at other venues this season. l gave it a 4, roll on Silverstone.
Old 28 Jun 2011, 13:24 (Ref:2907347)   #79
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

I do worry slightly that the first third of the season was just an exceptional situation, rather than a totally representative indication of the rules/cars/tyres. Hopefully future races will prove me wrong.

It really is time to get rid of this circuit ( and quite a few others, but that's not the point of this thread). If we are to have another race in Spain, why not Jerez?
Harsh with the 3s, I ws going to give it 1 but for the novelty of having no retirements; this being the third time it has ever happened in a GP. Otherwise, I agree get rid of Valencia from the calendar.
Old 28 Jun 2011, 23:29 (Ref:2907652)   #80
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At last I managed a Sunday afternoon nap ...

Same on Saturday for qualifying.

Eddie Jordan amused me by trying to hype up the circuit saying that more people attended this year. Wonder who paid him to say this?

If they mentioned the old fish market once they mentioned it a dozen times....
Old 29 Jun 2011, 01:13 (Ref:2907690)   #81
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulaweybridge View Post
At last I managed a Sunday afternoon nap ...

Same on Saturday for qualifying.

Eddie Jordan amused me by trying to hype up the circuit saying that more people attended this year. Wonder who paid him to say this?

If they mentioned the old fish market once they mentioned it a dozen times....
Did anyone catch any fish?
Old 29 Jun 2011, 07:36 (Ref:2907777)   #82
Hendrik
Racer

MagnetON
Germany
Hendrik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I gave it a 4.

It was not exiting with overtaking an wheel-to-wheel racing all over the circuit but still it was a good demonstration of modern formula 1 racing. I think it was a straightforward GP where the fastest cars started at the front of the grid and all were basically on the same strategy. So, honestly, I can't expect very much overtaking in such a case.

At least Alonso has shown once more, why he might be the only true contender against Vettel this year, if Ferrari can close the gap to RBR. He drove a very intelligent race, pace just high enough to put constant pressure on Webber and even Vettel but never destroying his tyres by pushing too hard.

But overall I agree, Valencia is a worthless placeholder in the calendar.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 09:02 (Ref:2907824)   #83
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Watched Highlights of WSB last night. The Motorland Aragon circuit, in the N.E. of Spain, looks to be very good indeed. It's really wide, has big elevation changes, various radius corners, and a very long straight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoQN839CcRw

Note that the road legal Yamaha R6 600 speedo is in MPH and revs to 16,000 rpm!
Old 29 Jun 2011, 10:13 (Ref:2907856)   #84
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DDDrBVcWVI

Here's a Formula Renault onboard to give you a better idea of what it'd look like in a single seater.

It's fairly uninspiring tbh, but it's certainly a world better than Valencia!! At least there's elevation changes, as you say!

Selby
Old 29 Jun 2011, 12:19 (Ref:2907925)   #85
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
The Motorland track is similar in layout to the Abu Dhabi track; almost a mirror image.

Motorland Aragon

Abu Dhabi
Old 29 Jun 2011, 12:43 (Ref:2907941)   #86
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Note that Aragon has its (car layout) hairpin at the correct end of the straight. There is also much more in the way of elevation change at the Spanish circuit, which is something that is sadly lacking in many current GPs.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 12:46 (Ref:2907947)   #87
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
T13/14 cut out of that would be absolutely insane.

Selby
Old 29 Jun 2011, 12:51 (Ref:2907955)   #88
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
T13/14 cut out of that would be absolutely insane.

Selby
Well spotted!
Old 29 Jun 2011, 14:35 (Ref:2908021)   #89
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
How long would that straight be roughly?

Selby
Old 29 Jun 2011, 17:56 (Ref:2908130)   #90
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
How long would that straight be roughly?

Selby
Oh......about a mile!

The circuit is actually about midway between Barcelona and Valencia, but slightly further inland.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 22:38 (Ref:2908308)   #91
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Oh......about a mile!

The circuit is actually about midway between Barcelona and Valencia, but slightly further inland.
Really? Has Aragon been moved then?
Old 29 Jun 2011, 22:47 (Ref:2908313)   #92
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Is Motor Land is North of Alcaniz?
Old 30 Jun 2011, 00:07 (Ref:2908330)   #93
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
No. It's still where it always was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Is Motor Land is North of Alcaniz?
Yes (scroll down to google map).

http://www.motorsportcircuitguide.co...tory.php?id=21
Old 30 Jun 2011, 20:35 (Ref:2908878)   #94
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
No. It's still where it always was.

Yes (scroll down to google map).

http://www.motorsportcircuitguide.co...tory.php?id=21
Wellington whooped the French there if my history serves me right.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 07:05 (Ref:2909082)   #95
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The Motorland track is similar in layout to the Abu Dhabi track; almost a mirror image.

Motorland Aragon

Abu Dhabi
Take the Motorland circuit remove the T13 and T14 cut out as per Selbly' suggestion and reverse the direction.
Turn 10 going into turn 9 would be insane! Beautiful!

The race rated a 3 for me, still as good as the average for the previous heaven knows how many seasons since the cars went to the narrower tracks and then set about not racing.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 10:55 (Ref:2909228)   #96
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since my friends and I have watched this race at Valencia, we've been recalling our most exciting memories of Hungaroring!