Perez 0 0%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 Jun 2011, 10:14 (Ref:2906741)   #26
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Either Vettel or Alguersuari - went for Jaime.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 11:18 (Ref:2906769)   #27
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
I think someone somewhere (probably in the southern hemisphere) has a Perl script that detects when a race is held and automatically votes for Webber. We should be able to confirm this when he gets a vote but for some reason fails to start the race.
Just click on the number and you'll see who voted.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 11:56 (Ref:2906789)   #28
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Strategy guinea pig, gearbox issues..

Some day, like when the clear #1 at Renault, this driver will be able to run his own race... without any commitment to making his teammate's day better

Could easily have been Mr Hamilton for not dissimilar reasons, and for telling his crew what they should already know...
Webber has said the call to change tyres early on the last pitstop was his (and with hindsight a mistake). Also the gearbox issue was late in the race (after the pitstop cockup) so had little if any impact on his finishing position. Given those snippets of info he's certainly an odd choice for DOTR.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 14:56 (Ref:2906868)   #29
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I'm reluctantly coming to the conclusion that Vettel ticks all the boxes.
Why reluctantly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Strategy guinea pig, gearbox issues..

Some day, like when the clear #1 at Renault, this driver will be able to run his own race... without any commitment to making his teammate's day better
But he made some of the calls. Even without that, do you think he drove a more impressive race than Vettel's?
Old 27 Jun 2011, 15:05 (Ref:2906873)   #30
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Just click on the number and you'll see who voted.
I'd have to vote to get to the numbers, and I haven't yet decided if anyone was stand out enough to actually bother. It seems to me that all the drivers did what was predicted by qualifying - SV pee'd off in to the distance, as expected, all the others drivers pretty much did as expected. Snore.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 27 Jun 2011, 15:58 (Ref:2906893)   #31
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
all the others drivers pretty much did as expected. Snore.
Did you expect Algersuari to gain 10 places?

Or Schumacher to make an ill judged passing move and plummet back through the field. Oh. Hang on........
Old 27 Jun 2011, 18:44 (Ref:2906975)   #32
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Alguersuari was the only driver to out perform expectations
Old 27 Jun 2011, 21:01 (Ref:2907033)   #33
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Button for me: just for that monster overtake.

Honourable mentions:
Alguersuari - for carrying that dog up into a place that it clearly doesn't deserve
Vettel - he won, and made it look easy (again), even though it's obviously not
Alonso - a very complete package
Old 28 Jun 2011, 02:09 (Ref:2907109)   #34
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Alguersuari was the only driver to out perform expectations
I'm not entirely sure what more Vettel could have done to out perform expectations? Pole, win, fastest lap (on the harder tyres).

ps - whereabouts in Maidstone are you?
Old 28 Jun 2011, 04:24 (Ref:2907125)   #35
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso, Ferrari on the podium, what's not to like?
Old 28 Jun 2011, 10:09 (Ref:2907227)   #36
Grandpa_Rob
Racer

Australia
Oz
Grandpa_Rob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Almost perfect race from Vettel and rightly took the maximum points for it.
Old 28 Jun 2011, 15:45 (Ref:2907428)   #37
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I'm not entirely sure what more Vettel could have done to out perform expectations? Pole, win, fastest lap (on the harder tyres).

ps - whereabouts in Maidstone are you?
He didn't outperform expectations. I expected him to do all of that. Ergo, no outperform.

(Harder tyres maybe, but end of race with a light fuel load and no traffic)
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Old 28 Jun 2011, 15:57 (Ref:2907440)   #38
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
So the fact that he's the most dominant driver out there, blowing everyone else into the weeds means he can't be DOTR because it's expected of him? Weird.

Had Webber done that on sunday, the forum would be going crazy about what an awesome job he'd done.
Old 28 Jun 2011, 16:16 (Ref:2907452)   #39
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
Quote:
So the fact that he's the most dominant driver out there, blowing everyone else into the weeds means he can't be DOTR because it's expected of him? Weird.

Had Webber done that on sunday, the forum would be going crazy about what an awesome job he'd done.
It's been said a number of times on here - people tend to vote for outstanding drives, rather than the winner (otherwise the poll would be rather pointless, except for the expected Webber vote). This wasn't particularly outstanding, as many expected it of him, given the fact he has by far the fastest car, and he is a very quick driver.

To be honest, if I were to vote I would vote Vettel, but I'm not voting!

If Webber had done it - then given he isn't as quick as Vettel, it would likely have been an outstanding drive and he may have got my vote, but it's rather a moot point.
Old 28 Jun 2011, 18:21 (Ref:2907515)   #40
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=TrapezeArtist;2907033]Button for me: just for that monster overtake.

And because he's such a nice guy. Who else? Why else? How much does that ridiculous circuit slip into Bernie's back pocket?
Old 29 Jun 2011, 01:00 (Ref:2907686)   #41
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
It's been said a number of times on here - people tend to vote for outstanding drives, rather than the winner (otherwise the poll would be rather pointless, except for the expected Webber vote). This wasn't particularly outstanding, as many expected it of him, given the fact he has by far the fastest car, and he is a very quick driver.

To be honest, if I were to vote I would vote Vettel, but I'm not voting!

If Webber had done it - then given he isn't as quick as Vettel, it would likely have been an outstanding drive and he may have got my vote, but it's rather a moot point.
Don't get me wrong, i know the point your making and i understand it, to a certain degree. But it's a bit like saying that Messi can't be player of the match because he's that much better than everyone else ergo, his performance doesn't exceed everyone's expectations. Just seem's abit bizarre to me.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 01:17 (Ref:2907693)   #42
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil22 View Post
Alonso, Ferrari on the podium, what's not to like?
I liked it but for some it probably spoilt the party, .
Old 1 Jul 2011, 06:40 (Ref:2909073)   #43
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Vettel for me by a mile!
Webber's result just confirms how good his performance was.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 11:06 (Ref:2909241)   #44
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso, for providing such a nice passing move , gets my vote.

Seems to be the only guy who consistently looks like a real GP driver.

And @ the comments about Vettel being "that" good, or so much better.

Five or six years ago Alonso and Kimi were the best guys in the world. Depending on who had the better car. In five or six years time we might be talking about Daniel Ricciardo, or someone else, but it probably will not be Vettel.

The person it WILL definitely be is the person in the best car.

For some reason, the best team-mate in the best car is considered the best driver.
That logic is essentially flawed but it is what is most commonly used.

At the moment that person is Vettel, who is performing better than his team-mate in the best car, the Red Bull.

I know not everybody thinks so simplistically, but it is how statistics misrepresent true driver quality.

Last edited by Splatz the Cow; 1 Jul 2011 at 11:20.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 11:48 (Ref:2909273)   #45
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The only way to find the best driver is to put them all in exactly equal cars and send them around the track at exactly the same time (not really possible for either). Even then, some will be helped and some will be hindered by worse or better driving of others.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 12:22 (Ref:2909292)   #46
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatz the Cow View Post
but it probably will not be Vettel.

The person it WILL definitely be is the person in the best car.
Whats to say it won't be Vettel and still in the best car? Hamilton, Alonso, Schumacher and Button have all proved that you don't win titles if you don't have the best car.

I am genuinely intregued as to why it probably won't be Vettel though. In 5 or 6 years time he'll still only be 28/29 years old, quite possibly a 3 or 4 times WDC and beating other World Champions along the way to do that. I'm not sure what more a driver can do than that?