Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 30 Sep 2000, 12:09 (Ref:40178)   #1
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have just been reading in Mr Redshoes' excellent newsletter that some of the NSC boys are a little unhappy about the merger with the BTCC next year.

They say they weren't consulted about the changes, and are worried about beig a secondary part of the series.

This years class B has to a large extent been seen as a mobile chicane by the class A boys, and the TV coverage of class B has in my view left much to be desired.

If this is how class B will be viewed next year then I for one am not surprised that they are concerned.
Old 30 Sep 2000, 20:35 (Ref:40225)   #2
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Thanks for the plug. Where do I send the cheque ?

It's been the same story with the Indies for the last few years. If you weren't driving a red Nissan then your best chance of being on TV was to throw it at the scenery. Look at Oulton Park recently. The biggest Class B field of the year and a thrilling class battle in both races but from watching the tape you'd be forgiven for thinking the BBC were at a different race meeting.

I'm guess there's also concern over grid numbers. BMP are expecting 20 class A entries (yeah right) which leaves just 10 class B spaces on the grid. IF (big if) that's the case it means pre-qualifying and some class B teams going home early. With teams like GR Motorsport looking at running 4 cars those 10 places are going to fill up real quickly.
Old 30 Sep 2000, 22:21 (Ref:40243)   #3
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guess we'll just have to hope that it's Vauxhall versus Class B then, eh? Face it: that's the only way they'll all get on the grid next season...
Old 1 Oct 2000, 12:42 (Ref:40352)   #4
Tim.Lad
Racer

Tim.Lad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the field is going to get so big why don`t they split it and run class-b as a support race ??
Old 1 Oct 2000, 16:23 (Ref:40386)   #5
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
... because that would probably make them feel even worse, for having to be seen as a support class to a very weak looking 'premier' series...

On a BTCC schedule, the BTCC itself will always be the headline attraction, even if it's not a good series. Anything, like the Clios - even though they offer plenty more action and gravel spraying (couldn't resist, Rick!) - will continue to be the 'supporting' categories.
Old 1 Oct 2000, 16:43 (Ref:40394)   #6
Tim.Lad
Racer

Tim.Lad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So what are the chances of Class-B guys putting there eforts into developing there cars into hmm class-a as we don`t have super tourers any more
Old 1 Oct 2000, 18:53 (Ref:40412)   #7
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Probably because the NSC cars run to a very similar set of regulations to 1999's BTCC Class B cars. Meaning, the cars are still somewhat similar to their road-going counterparts, whereas the Class A cars will - even next season - still be some way off that...
Old 1 Oct 2000, 22:21 (Ref:40432)   #8
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
The BRDC have already said that the NSC could return as a stand-alone series if the new-look BTCC takes off. There's also been a rumour of a seperate series for NSC-spec cars for those that are unable or unwilling to enter the BTCC. If (and I repeat that's a big if) we get 20+ class A cars then as a fan I'd much rather see class B split into it's own series, possibly on the same bill as the BTCC.

I'm not convinced by Mr Sun's 'dislike of support' theory. The NSC has supposedly been one of 3 equal headlining acts in Powertour but from what I've seen it's been treated very much as the third of the 3.
Old 2 Oct 2000, 19:13 (Ref:40602)   #9
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Obviously, Mr Shoes, it has been the third of the 'Big Three' of this year's PowerTour package, but what I'm questioning is whether the NSC teams would want to play second fiddle to the BTCC, which - by all accounts - is going to be a very weak series in 2001.

The best thing would be for things to have stayed as they were in season 2000, with the NSC separate to the BTCC, but if it must be on the same bill, then it's only fair that all the teams and drivers get a go. It's hardly good for sponsors - or the teams themselves for that matter - to not run at all on the Sunday.