Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jun 2013, 13:20 (Ref:3264337)   #101
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, beautiful stuff, hopefully Bernie will keep it.
Old 5 Jun 2014, 23:03 (Ref:3415967)   #102
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Unfortunately I am not in Montreal this weekend for the race. Instead, I'm headed to the Old Continent next week for work and vacation (while there I plan to take in part of the 24 Hours of the Nurburgring). Nevertheless, I'm reviving this thread in honor of the best, most fan-friendly F1 race weekend of the year. I hope to be back next year.

Rosberg hopes to celebrate again in a ‘beautiful, crazy’ city
The Gazette June 5, 2014 6:22 PM

Nico Rosberg
Mercedes

...Montreal is one of my favourite venues. It’s a beautiful but also crazy city where there is always a lot happening — particularly in the evenings ... it’s a great place to celebrate a good result, shall we say! That’s what I’ll be aiming for again this weekend.”

Lewis Hamilton
Mercedes

..Montreal is one of my favourite weekends of the year. It’s where I won my first Grand Prix back in 2007 and I’ve had another two victories there since, so it holds some special memories for me. The city itself is incredible. It’s one I always love to go to and there’s always a great crowd, so I’m hoping for them that the weather is good and we can put on a great show!”

Fernando Alonso
Ferrari

..You can feel the city of Montreal has a lot of passion for the race and everyone gets involved in some way. I won here, which definitely provides good memories, and I also remember that big storm a couple of years back which meant the race was stopped for hours and we were waiting on the grid...

Nico Hulkenberg
Force India

...As an overall event the Canadian Grand Prix is one of my favourites because of the buzz around the city and the unusual track. To get a quick lap you need good top speed, a car that can attack the curbs and you also have to be brave enough to get close to the walls.”

Former F1 champ Fittipaldi has soft spot for Montreal
By Kevin Mio, THE GAZETTE June 5, 2014 6:24 PM

He may have only raced in Montreal three times in Formula One, but legendary driver Emerson Fittipaldi knows how special the race is here — and how difficult it can be...

The 67-year-old Brazilian will be in town this weekend for the Canadian Grand Prix at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve entertaining guests of Sportality, a sports-marketing company. Fittipaldi says he tries to come to Montreal every two years, and it remains one of his favourite destinations.

“Montreal has a lot of European flavour,” he said. “When I come to Montreal, I feel more like I am in Europe than in America. It’s a very charming town.”

Fittipaldi says he is a fan of the set-up at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, a 4.361-kilometre track in the middle of the St. Lawrence River...

“And the island (setting) is just beautiful. The public is very close to the racetrack and it’s a very special track. I love Montreal. The first time I drove here, I loved it and always ran very fast here. It’s a great track and great place to be.”

Parties, exotic vehicles, street fairs mark F1 fiesta

F1 weekend is upon us, and in Montreal, it's about way more than just a race.

The city is gearing up for its biggest tourist event of the year, where the races at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve provide a theme and a backdrop for a host of parties, festivals and street fairs that take place in and around the downtown area.

"This is the only F1 race in the world with this kind of animation and these kinds of activities," says Pierre Bellerose, vice-president of Tourism Montreal. "You don't see that in Monaco, in Belgium."

This can be partly attributed to the fact that, unlike many other cities, Montreal's race course is located close to the downtown core. Not that Montrealers need much of a reason to throw a party in the summer.

From A-list red carpet events to face painting and street food, there are plenty of entertainment options this weekend. Expect street closures and a higher-than-normal volume of traffic, not to mention large crowds...
Old 7 Jun 2014, 14:25 (Ref:3416593)   #103
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's the story of how the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve came about. It's impossible that such a story could happen in these times, yet the Montreal track is still considered to be one of the most interesting on the F1 circuit.

HOW CIRCUIT GILLES VILLENEUVE WAS BORN IN A HALF HOUR
Nadine Fillion
tsn.ca
6/6/2014

Late 1977. Roger Peart receives a call from the president of the Fédération Automobile Québécoise. It's the Labatt beer company, the then-title sponsor of the Canadian Grand Prix held annually at Mosport near Toronto. They want to know if Montreal can host a Formula One race.

"Great question," says Peart, who then asks for a little time for reflection — 30 minutes to be precise.

"I first thought of Île Notre-Dame. Then, I looked at a route that would start and end at the Olympic Stadium, but that would have been devilishly complicated to implement. I even looked at [building a track at] Laval."

"We didn't have to go far down those roads," says Peart. "The first idea was always going to be the best."

After 30 minutes, he phoned his interlocutor back to tell him yes, Montreal could accommodate a full-fledged Formula One Grand Prix, and that the best venue was Île Notre-Dame – a man-made island built to host Expo 67 a decade earlier – if for no other reason than its excellent access to public transit...
Old 28 May 2015, 03:22 (Ref:3541961)   #104
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
With race week in Montreal just around the corner, it's time to revive this thread. I missed the race last year but this year I will be back for the 12th time since the year 2000.

The whole city of Montreal and many neighborhoods, restaurants, bars and clubs embrace the race in a big way. Some residents of the city hate the GP weekend and leave town, but many residents love it and enjoy the party with visitors from all over Canada, the U.S., Latin America, Europe and even a few from the Asia Pacific region.

One of the biggest events is the Crescent St. Grand Prix Festival. Here is a link to info about this year's event and a few of my photos from past visits to Crescent St.:

Crescent St. GP Festival

Old 28 May 2015, 03:39 (Ref:3541962)   #105
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I love this race ! F1 is just awesome ....
Old 28 May 2015, 22:50 (Ref:3542283)   #106
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Another downtown street that is closed to traffic and hosts a special celebration is Peel St., which is several blocks east of Crescent St. Here are links to sites about the event and some of my photos from past F1 weekends on Peel St.

Formula Peel 2015

Formula Peel 2015 announcement

Old 29 May 2015, 01:59 (Ref:3542330)   #107
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Some events associated with the Grand Prix weekend in Montreal are a bit more exclusive than the public festivals held on Crescent St. and Peel St. Admission either costs a lot or is by invitation only. But it is free to hang around outside the events and play amateur paparazzo.

The Grand Evening 2015 $1000/person

Infiniti Grand Prix Party at the Ritz Carlton $395/person

Ferrari party at the Hotel St. James (invitation only)

Old 29 May 2015, 14:59 (Ref:3542554)   #108
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
From Formula1.com Canada preview quotes.

Daniel Ricciardo

“The city is awesome. Great places to eat and drink - plus the fact Crescent Street is closed off for a big party is very, very cool. The whole city gets involved in the race and you get the impression that the grand prix is really embraced.”

Romain Grosjean

“As for Montreal itself, it’s a wonderful city to visit. There are obviously a lot of French speakers so it’s like another home race for me, and the fans are so welcoming and knowledgeable. There are also some very good restaurants in Montreal which is always a bonus."

Pastor Maldonado

“Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is amazing and I always enjoy being there. Canada is a great race not only because of the track but because of the people who come to support it. There is a great atmosphere all weekend and the city is quite close to the circuit which means there is a great vibe all round. There is also a lot of history to the Grand Prix and it has been around for a while - it is one of the great GPs during the season."

Federico Gastaldi, Deputy team principal Lotus

“There are a few races which are classics on the calendar, and Montreal is certainly on that list. The Canadian Grand Prix is a part of Formula One’s DNA. Canadians and Montreal have been a real part of the history of Formula One. The city really comes alive for the race weekend, it is a fantastic place to go.”

“I named my first house Gilles’ Blue Ranch which should give you an idea of my enthusiasm for Gilles Villeneuve, who the circuit is named after. He was such a passionate, talented driver, racing in an era very different from today. The whole city has a very special place in my heart, from the architecture, the people, the bars, restaurants and cafes. It’s certainly one place where I wish the race weekend was a lot longer.”

Last edited by BobHWS; 29 May 2015 at 15:05.
Old 31 May 2015, 01:48 (Ref:3543122)   #109
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
The most famous party associated with the Montreal Grand Prix is no longer held. It was the post race party hosted by Cirque du Soleil found Guy Laliberté at his large estate outside the city. It used to start Sunday night and go until dawn and then some. The annual party was described in a sensationalist biography of Laliberté in 2009. Here is a link an excerpt from the Canadian weekly Maclean's:

Exclusive excerpt: How to party like a cirque star

Laliberté’s annual Grand Prix party in Montreal every June attracted A-listers from all over the world. The Sunday night after the big Formula One race, Laliberté would host a bash at his sprawling mansion in Saint-Bruno that would usually end up lasting a few days. It became the highlight of the year for the world’s jet set crowd. Years later, Laliberté had to move the party to an airport base because of recurring complaints by neighbours about the incredible noise level and wild partying. Everyone who attended was awed.

“I have attended the finest parties all over the world, but nothing that compares to this,” says Myra Jones, a Milan-based fashion model who experienced several of Laliberté’s parties. “Everything you wanted was available at Guy’s parties—drugs, the best music spun by famous DJs flown in from Europe and the U.S.A., and the wildest sex you could ever imagine.”

Unfortunately I was never invited.

However Formula 1 fan George Harrison was invited to the party when he came to the race in 2000 and it was at Laliberté's party that Harrison and Laliberté hatched the idea for the Cirque du Soleil show based on the music of the Beatles, "Love." I have seen it twice in Las Vegas and I highly recommend it.

A ‘Love’ letter to the Fab Four
variety.com
5/28/2006

“Love,” Cirque’s fifth show in Las Vegas, began with a conversation between Beatle George Harrison and Cirque’s founder-CEO Guy Laliberte at a party during the Montreal Grand Prix in 2000. Harrison wanted to do two shows — one of Beatles music and one of his own — with both conveying messages of hope and love and music as a universal language. Laliberte carried on with the idea after Harrison’s death in December 2001; the creation of the show has occurred within the last three years.

And while there are only four Harrison songs sung in the show, Martin notes “that without George’s ideas, especially the ones he brought back from India, this music wouldn’t be as interesting as it is.”

The creative team behind “Love” unveiled portions of the show May 24 at the former Siegfried & Roy Theater, which was gutted and given a $125 million makeover. Part of that includes the installation of 6,305 speakers, nearly a third of which are installed in the back of the hall’s 2,000 seats to allow sound to swirl around the auditorium. For the most part, songs rain down from the speakers installed in the ceiling...

Old 15 Jun 2015, 18:02 (Ref:3550846)   #110
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
It wasn't much of a race (at least not at the front of the pack) and there was much talk in the Montreal media about the many problems of F1, but there's still at least one thing right with the sport, and that's the fan experience at the Grand Prix du Canada in Montreal. As usual, I brought back some photos. Here are the Montreal F1 babes of 2015 and some photos from the race and around town.

Montreal F1 Babes of 2015

F1 Grand Prix du Canada 2015

Old 29 May 2019, 17:42 (Ref:3906788)   #111
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Now that Monaco is over, it's time to look forward to the F1 GP weekend in Montreal. Here's a rundown of the key social events around town during the race weekend. Some events are free and others require a small fee.

Crescent Street Grand Prix Festival Thursday-Saturday Free

Formula Peel (Peel St. GP Festival) Thursday-Sunday Free

Official Opening Night Gala Thursday, Four Seasons Hotel 18:00 $1000 CDN

Ritz Carlton Hotel Grand Prix Party Friday 19:00 $350-1000 CDN

Little Italy Grand Prix Festival Thursday-Sunday Free

Grand Prix du Canada at L’Auberge Saint-Gabriel Thursday-Sunday nights @ restaurant/club owned by Guy Laliberté $145-175 CDN

Old 29 May 2019, 17:55 (Ref:3906792)   #112
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well Monaco was fun to watch, but I am looking forward to the Canadian GP. Plenty for the fans. Montreal has always been fan friendly. Gee, they won’t get bored with that timetable. I just hope they don’t think it’s overkill
Old 3 Jun 2019, 13:36 (Ref:3907705)   #113
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Montréal weather for Thursday through Sunday looks great. Very little chance of rain, high temps of 22 C and partly sunny/cloudy skies. Though cool temps and some rain will greet the teams as they arrive and get set up today through Wednesday.
Old 3 Jun 2019, 13:55 (Ref:3907711)   #114
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...tT2AHmgmV.html

Why we love... the Canadian Grand Prix

Formula1.com
Special contributor
Chris Medland
June 3, 2019
5. The city rocks

The fans flood to Montreal because not only is the event at the track so spectacular, but the city itself is an awesome place to be.

Downtown in Canada’s second-largest city is just across the Saint Lawrence River in which the Ile Notre-Dame sits, and it’s an eclectic venue.

While the old town offers up cobbled streets, cosy bars and cafes, classy restaurants and stunning architecture such as the Notre-Dame Basilica, there’s also the business district, a lively nightlife scene and the imposing Mont Royal itself that overlooks the city.

Montreal comes alive with F1-specific events during race week, and at different locations fans can take in live music as well as activities like a pit stop challenge, as the city really embraces the Grand Prix...
Old 3 Jun 2019, 17:06 (Ref:3907734)   #115
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Do you remember a few seasons ago they bought back the mechanics boat race? That was a great lot of fun
Old 3 Jun 2019, 22:24 (Ref:3907797)   #116
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Do you remember a few seasons ago they bought back the mechanics boat race? That was a great lot of fun
I remember reading about that though never saw it. There is no shortage of water around the track in which you could hold such an event. It was probably held in the Olympic rowing basin which borders the back side of the track (side opposite of the paddocks).
Old 4 Jun 2019, 10:38 (Ref:3907834)   #117
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just came back from Montreal at the weekend. Things are really ramping up for the event and access to the circuit from downtown is very easy.

I would imagine they used the old Olympic basin for the mechanics race as the river flows far too quickly!!......very cold too after experiencing the rapids in a jet boat.
Old 4 Jun 2019, 13:18 (Ref:3907876)   #118
S griffin
Veteran

Both times I went to Canada I had my Uncle drive us round the track. Last time in 08 it was a month after the GP and they were still repairing the track after those problems at the GP. It was also interesting to see a lot of tyre marks were still there. Sadly the pit lane was off limits, so I couldn’t see Hamilton’s tyre marks were he went inti the back of Kimi...