Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Jul 2003, 07:07 (Ref:655530)   #1
rocket
Racer

rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
monaro in NC

now that it has officially been canned for production what will happen with the monaro in nations cup, will it still be elligable & if so for how long. if they stick to the rules it should be illegal, after all it was originally allowed to race on the prospect of 50 to be produced & sold

Last edited by rocket; 8 Jul 2003 at 07:08.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 07:25 (Ref:655539)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The boss of the series owns the red Monaro, I doubt it will be gone any time soon
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 8 Jul 2003, 07:31 (Ref:655541)   #3
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it doesn't have to be production based it opens up a whole host of possible cars,if Holden can come up with a winner when they combine forces with renown performance car builders GRM imagine what a bunch of silly italians can do with the new anything goes rules

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 8 Jul 2003, 08:02 (Ref:655551)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If the rumours that PHR are looking to put Maserati motors in the 360 Challenge cars, the PROCAR category will become a joke!
Old 8 Jul 2003, 08:02 (Ref:655552)   #5
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many cars in Nations cup are built as road cars?
The Ferraris, Lambos and Porsches are built as a one make raceing. You can not buy one of these and register it as a road car.
Why single out the Monaro?
Nations cup is not for production cars!
Old 8 Jul 2003, 08:23 (Ref:655561)   #6
Onlooker
Veteran

You can't have it both ways.On one hand you have commentators praising the aussie car as it hands out a hiding to the exotic overseas cars and on the next hand everyone jumps to their defence saying it isn't production based.
The lambo's and Ferrari's may well be made for one make events but the monaro is built for one(now 2) car events.
Fine get GRM to build 30 of them and have a one make champoinship,take them to Le Mans show us how good this car really is on the world stage.I am sure that if the car was going to race O/S the other manufacturers would be happy to see it.
By the way if it isn't production based then why do the other manufacturers keep importing new models that have a certain performance difference and have to get it approved for competition?Wouldn't you just hot up the one you had?

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 8 Jul 2003, 08:55 (Ref:655579)   #7
Monaro
Racer

Australia
Bathurst
Monaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Onlooker
If it doesn't have to be production based it opens up a whole host of possible cars,if Holden can come up with a winner when they combine forces with renown performance car builders GRM imagine what a bunch of silly italians can do with the new anything goes rules
And the Mosler was production based
Old 8 Jul 2003, 09:48 (Ref:655613)   #8
Morris 1100
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Monaro
And the Mosler was production based
Yeah but it came from overseas so that makes it OK!
Old 8 Jul 2003, 10:09 (Ref:655623)   #9
V8 Fan
Racer

V8 Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It should be banned from racing and stripped of it's results so far. Another examole of Holden bending the rules to suit themselves.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 10:25 (Ref:655632)   #10
Scott75
Veteran

Scott75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well another stupid comment from Tricky, surprise, surprise. Grow up!!
Old 8 Jul 2003, 11:04 (Ref:655670)   #11
dennisonthenet
Rookie

dennisonthenet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am with tricky the harder they suck the higher hrt get
Old 8 Jul 2003, 11:24 (Ref:655689)   #12
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I might be a Ford man, but I'd have loved to see the Monaro rock up to Le Mans. An all-Aussie effort with full Holden Motorsport backing, Skaife, Bright and Tander at the wheel giving the Euros what-for.

As far as Nations Cup is concerned, anyone who believes that the cars running in the series are true production cars is kidding themselves. I'm with Morris on this one; "Nation's Cup is not for production cars!" They are out-and-out race cars that just happen (in some cases) to be road-registerable. Personally, I'd love to see it become even more of a GT-style class, in particular, allowing the Corvette running with the ALMS bodykit and some go-fast bits to make it competitive with the Lambos, Ferarris and Holdens. Hope the V8 Bimmers make it over here soon. And a Mustang in Class 1 wouldn't go astray...

Last edited by William Dale Jr; 8 Jul 2003 at 11:27.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 11:42 (Ref:655703)   #13
Morris 1100
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Tricky
It should be banned from racing and stripped of it's results so far. Another examole of Holden bending the rules to suit themselves.
Seing that you are such an expert, What rule have they bent? (I want the specific rule and not some made up stuff)
Old 8 Jul 2003, 12:50 (Ref:655766)   #14
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the Mosler, it is certainly a production car. Warren Mosler built 75 road going versions of them to make it eligible for N-GT...
Old 8 Jul 2003, 23:37 (Ref:656372)   #15
Monaro
Racer

Australia
Bathurst
Monaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tricky
NC is parity based.When Holden wanted to race in NC they were asked what was needed to be competative.PROCAR agreed to what Holden submitted but would make ajustments to keep all cars equal.The ajustments are given to all cars the Viper was given bigger brakes body kit and new gearbox.The Lambo had their revs restricted all for a even field.IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE A STOCK PRODUCTION CAR
Old 9 Jul 2003, 00:31 (Ref:656397)   #16
Onlooker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Monaro
NC is parity based.When Holden wanted to race in NC they were asked what was needed to be competative.PROCAR agreed to what Holden submitted but would make ajustments to keep all cars equal.The ajustments are given to all cars the Viper was given bigger brakes body kit and new gearbox.The Lambo had their revs restricted all for a even field.IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE A STOCK PRODUCTION CAR
So it is your belief that the Monaro went to Bathurst with a fair and even parity spec and Holden were just as suprised as the next bloke to win by such a margin and were amazed that the car was able to do it at 3/4 pace.Do you think that they were gratefull of the "extra" pace on tap that allowed them to drop huge amounts off their lap times to catch up after the fuel cell problem.
Personally I am amazed that with all that extra grunt and rubber that it isn't faster than a Supercar,is it just poor engineering,incompetent drivers or dogy stop watches
Old 9 Jul 2003, 01:26 (Ref:656417)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
You missed an option there Onlooker, being told not to push the car for fear of a 2003 parity adjustment....

The car was capable of a 2.10 at least on bedrock Dunlops, on proprietary Michelins there would be a 2.08 at least on the cards!
Old 9 Jul 2003, 02:12 (Ref:656435)   #18
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But Holden is now a production car Via its cousin the Pontiac GTO, in the states, so this will be the loophole for it all-wait and the Monaro will return.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 02:56 (Ref:656453)   #19
Onlooker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
But Holden is now a production car Via its cousin the Pontiac GTO, in the states, so this will be the loophole for it all-wait and the Monaro will return.
Good point,but Holden may not want the Aussie public to see the car with the GTO front end.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 06:00 (Ref:656504)   #20
its my opinion
Rookie

its my opinion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who cares what happens to it, its just a 2 door Commodore with an imported engine. Big Deal!!!
Old 9 Jul 2003, 06:27 (Ref:656513)   #21
Onlooker
Veteran

No No it is a live example of Australian engineering and state of the art thinking that once and for all proves how far we have come in out smarting the know european sports car manufacturers.
In a nut shell,whack a big donk in an otherwise boring car and hope it can get far enough ahead down the straight to not be passed in the bends.

Old 9 Jul 2003, 06:30 (Ref:656515)   #22
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
Holden are still building Monaro's for sale in Australia, just not the 'special' HRT 427 Monaro

The main problem people have is that it races with a 7 litre engine as opposed every road-going one having a 5.7 litre engine.

Onlooker - worth remembering that the Cirtek Porsche had the race in the bag until it broke a driveshaft
Old 9 Jul 2003, 06:33 (Ref:656517)   #23
rocket
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
On the Mosler, it is certainly a production car. Warren Mosler built 75 road going versions of them to make it eligible for N-GT...
and further more the one that raced at bathurst was the baby one, it only had 400hp the big one has 700hp
Old 9 Jul 2003, 06:37 (Ref:656519)   #24
rocket
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Morris 1100
How many cars in Nations cup are built as road cars?
The Ferraris, Lambos and Porsches are built as a one make raceing. You can not buy one of these and register it as a road car.
Why single out the Monaro?
Nations cup is not for production cars!
true, but i bet the ferraris, lambos & porsches are a hell of a lot closer to the road going versions than the monaro will ever be and at least if anyone is going to race them they have a chance of buying one
Old 9 Jul 2003, 06:40 (Ref:656522)   #25
Onlooker
Veteran

But how could that be?
Mate I am just absolutly falling off my chair laughing everytime I see the wallies on the TV trying to convince me that I can buy a Monaro or a Ferrari and the performance will be so close that I wont notice the difference