Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 30 Jul 2022, 10:30 (Ref:4120949)   #51
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
How is that more expensive to the viewer? People already have the internet & TV, so that cost won't increase. Ads can ben run online too, you know.
If I want to watch a live BTCC race with family in the living room, on a reasonable size screen, then under the current ITV arrangement:

I need a TV Licence, a basic TV and an antenna.

If the BTCC moved to online streaming:

I need a TV Licence, a streaming device, a data subscription, a screen and a an audio device. If I use my existing TV and it happens to be smart, I still need to pay for a data service on top of my existing arrangement.

Yes - advertisements can be sold online, but the revenue from those would fall massively compared to the current broadcast arrangement.

If BTCC moved coverage moved online from 2023, then many teams' income streams would hit the floor and the grid would be decimated. Production values would drop and whilst we would see more races being broadcast live - the viewer numbers would make it untenable at the current scale of the TOCA package.
Old 30 Jul 2022, 10:50 (Ref:4120951)   #52
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You don't need a TV license if the only reason you have one is to watch BTCC and it moves to a platform that doesn't require a TV license. Watching TV in a traditional manner is declining rapidly unless my family and friends are weirdos.

At the moment BTCC is far better off on FTA but I would love to see figures for audience ages, new viewers etc compared to F1 which is everywhere on socials. Many youngsters on YouTube have no clue what BTCC is let alone what the support packages are.
Old 30 Jul 2022, 11:01 (Ref:4120952)   #53
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
OK, so I am an old git, but compared to what I grew up with, modern BTCC coverage, smart TV's and clever recording devices is incredible.
The best we used to have was races shown maybe two weeks after the event on BBC Grandstand on a Saturday afternoon and rarely NOT at the times advertised in the Radio Times. So, unless you were able to record most of the programme on your VHS recorder you generally got loads of horse racing and frustratingly either the start or the end of the BTCC coverage.
Mind you, we did also have good old Murray Walker doing the commentary!
Old 30 Jul 2022, 11:13 (Ref:4120953)   #54
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
You don't need a TV license if the only reason you have one is to watch BTCC and it moves to a platform that doesn't require a TV license.
Which platform would that be - that doesn't require a TV license to watch the live broadcast?

If the race is being shown live - you need a TV license in the UK. If that's ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go or any other service.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ33
Old 30 Jul 2022, 11:57 (Ref:4120959)   #55
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
People moaning for the sake of moaning. No wonder my enthusiasm is starting to fade.......
Old 30 Jul 2022, 12:08 (Ref:4120960)   #56
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

I need a TV Licence, a streaming device, a data subscription, a screen and a an audio device. If I use my existing TV and it happens to be smart, I still need to pay for a data service on top of my existing arrangement.
It's 2022. How many people don't have these things?

FP2 times:
https://www.tsl-timing.com/file/?f=T...3003fp2trg.pdf

A more representative session this time. Nice to see Collard up there, hopefully that performance continues for the rest of the weekend, he needs a good round.
Old 30 Jul 2022, 12:23 (Ref:4120963)   #57
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Similar to Viva, but I am a seriously old git. And it nowadays seems to be that no matter what we are provided, there are so many around that are never satisfied and just want more and more.

That is not to say that products such as TV programmes, as well as products that we buy and use, can't ever be improved; of course they can. But what we have now is in another world to how it used to be, and for that we should be grateful.

As for the viewing number, my experience as a spectator to the tracks for both F1 and BTCC is that the vast majority want only to watch the F1 cars and/or the BTCC cars; they have no or very little interest in the other classes. At a recent Silverstone GP, on the Saturday once the qualifying had finished, the place became like a ghost town with barely anyone staying on to see the other formulas racing. The same happened a couple of years back when we went to Oulton for the BTCC, after the last of their races, the place emptied out leaving few to watch the last two races of the day.

As crmalcolm says, I don't believe that there is or would be enough demand to extend the programmes to show more of the other races or to move it to another medium with the same high quality camera work and production.
Old 30 Jul 2022, 13:11 (Ref:4120969)   #58
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
It's 2022. How many people don't have these things?
I'm not saying that people don't have these things, just that it is a more expensive way to watch a live broadcast than the current arrangement.

Although interesting to look at figures.

In 2020, over 95% of UK households had a TV and the ability to watch ITV/ITV4.

In the same period:
Over 6% of adults in the UK had not used the Internet.
There are 100,000s of UK properties in places where the Internet is too slow for streaming.
Of the 92% of UK households with the ability to stream, only 53% subscribe to a service and only 42% use that service.

Compared to the 31% of TV audience share making BBC the leading broadcaster in the UK. After BBC, the most successful TV channels in 2019 were ITV and Channel 4, and they held an audience share of 23,4% and 10%.

To put that in perspective - 55 million people watch some BBC TV during a year.
13 million people subscribe Netflix.

I'm not saying that TOCA shouldn't look at ways to change on the future. The situation in a few years may be entirely different.

But to say that the current arrangement is crap overlooks the fact that every other alternative would be worse for someone.
Old 30 Jul 2022, 13:38 (Ref:4120972)   #59
5five
Rookie

5five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have two small complaints with the ITV BTCC coverage only.

1 - the ITV Hub app won't allow me to Chromecast Live TV from my phone/tablet to my garage TV, so I have to plug a laptop in.

2 - I cannot watch in HD unless it is on ITV1HD. So I tend to watch ITV4 online on a PC instead (as I refuse to pay for Sky, had an aerial installed on my roof rather than a satellite dish for FreesatHD) as I would only watch ITV4HD for the BTCC and nothing else, and restricted to one room. This is on ITV not putting ITV4 in HD to be received via aerial, not the BTCC.

Its frustrating for my use case scenario, but I'll quite happy take the ITV coverage with its caveats than other solutions.

99% of my viewing is via streaming services. There is a clear cost and quality difference between what ITV provide and some of the streaming services for club racing - and that in my opinion is perfectly acceptable. Be it less camera positions, less ability to follow the race, or lower end talent. If its something I want to watch, and available, I'm more than capable of finding it.

All this complaining about it being on ITV and ITV4 and people have to set their DVRs twice etc, let me get my small violin out. Enjoy the fact its in HD some times in the year, and quali is available online for the diehards.
Old 30 Jul 2022, 14:02 (Ref:4120976)   #60
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
People moaning for the sake of moaning. No wonder my enthusiasm is starting to fade.......
Sadly - it comes with the territory for BTCC nowadays.

I'm pretty certain if Mr Gow turned up at someone's house, flew them to the circuit via private helicopter, gave them VIP hospitality all day and arranged for a private one-to-one with each driver - some BTCC followers would still find a way to complain about their access being restricted or the drinks being too cold from the chiller!!!
Old 30 Jul 2022, 14:37 (Ref:4120978)   #61
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
Quote:
If I want to watch a live BTCC race with family in the living room, on a reasonable size screen, then under the current ITV arrangement:

I need a TV Licence, a basic TV and an antenna.

Yes - advertisements can be sold online, but the revenue from those would fall massively compared to the current broadcast arrangement.

If BTCC moved coverage moved online from 2023, then many teams' income streams would hit the floor and the grid would be decimated. Production values would drop and whilst we would see more races being broadcast live - the viewer numbers would make it untenable at the current scale of the TOCA package.
More fool you if you are stupid enough to pay tv licence
Old 30 Jul 2022, 14:41 (Ref:4120979)   #62
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robshillito1990 View Post
More fool you if you are stupid enough to pay tv licence
If you want to watch BTCC live (or record it live) you have to have a TV license. You may be comfortable with breaking the law but not everyone is.

Last edited by AnnoyedMoose; 30 Jul 2022 at 14:47.
Old 30 Jul 2022, 15:05 (Ref:4120985)   #63
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what a disaster for Cook , only 14th on this procession track
Old 30 Jul 2022, 15:12 (Ref:4120987)   #64
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BMWs the car to beat this weekend then.

Lloyd way down after a double win last time out.

Think Palmer did a good job on commentary!
Old 30 Jul 2022, 15:15 (Ref:4120988)   #65
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
If you want to watch BTCC live (or record it live) you have to have a TV license. You may be comfortable with breaking the law but not everyone is.
Really couldn't care less to be honest.
Old 30 Jul 2022, 15:24 (Ref:4120990)   #66
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
BMWs the car to beat this weekend then.

Lloyd way down after a double win last time out.

Think Palmer did a good job on commentary!
Jonny Palmer should be getting more airtime on high-profile championships like this. One positive of ITV's coverage is that the commentary is good (the exception being the year Toby Moody did it).

Great to see Sutton up there. He could finally get his first win of the year this weekend, although I think Hill will take the first race fairly easily.
Old 30 Jul 2022, 16:12 (Ref:4120994)   #67
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Is it RJN doing the comm with Harvey as DA is in Spa for the 24hrs.
Old 30 Jul 2022, 16:16 (Ref:4120995)   #68
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Not sure if there is anything further confirmed ahead of broadcast:
Quote:
The press release for the TV coverage reads:
'With commentary by Richard John Neil, Tim Harvey, Jonny Palmer and Paul O'Neill, and reports from Louise Goodman'
Old 30 Jul 2022, 16:21 (Ref:4120998)   #69
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
He was unwell today, not sure if that counts him out for tomorrow or not.
Old 30 Jul 2022, 17:12 (Ref:4121014)   #70
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Jonny Palmer should be getting more airtime on high-profile championships like this. One positive of ITV's coverage is that the commentary is good (the exception being the year Toby Moody did it).

Great to see Sutton up there. He could finally get his first win of the year this weekend, although I think Hill will take the first race fairly easily.
He's a good commentator. Radio Le Mans improved a lot since they promoted him to lead most of their European stuff.
Old 30 Jul 2022, 20:13 (Ref:4121039)   #71
Heavyd123
Rookie

Heavyd123 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What’s happened to the btc Hondas then? Have they had a boost reduction?? Compared to the start of the season they’re now going backwards
Old 30 Jul 2022, 20:35 (Ref:4121042)   #72
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd123 View Post
What’s happened to the btc Hondas then? Have they had a boost reduction?? Compared to the start of the season they’re now going backwards
Josh's thoughts: https://bit.ly/3BuuNhR
Old 30 Jul 2022, 20:48 (Ref:4121044)   #73
Northern Monkey
Racer

Northern Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
He was unwell today, not sure if that counts him out for tomorrow or not.

It will be Jonny Palmer again tomorrow
Old 30 Jul 2022, 20:50 (Ref:4121046)   #74
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
The teams are having to run lower revs this weekend due to an issue identified in the hybrid system.
This could skew a performance advantage to engines that generate torque at lower engine speeds, which might not be in the favour of the M-Sport engine.
Old 30 Jul 2022, 21:09 (Ref:4121052)   #75
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dick Bennetts doing some talking to his drivers to avoid another "miscommunication" ?