Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 14 Oct 2014, 20:27 (Ref:3465057)   #226
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Its baffling the drivers are not familiar enough with the car to know where the kill switch is without searching for it. Or have difficulties finding the door latch.
Old 15 Oct 2014, 07:38 (Ref:3465210)   #227
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
I agree, but if you look at the first video on the piece I posted yesterday, the full scale fire in the cockpit, could you honestly tell me that in those circumstances you's expect anyone to be cool, calm and rational?
Old 15 Oct 2014, 07:58 (Ref:3465215)   #228
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
We are all human-even the Sacred Monster
Old 15 Oct 2014, 08:50 (Ref:3465225)   #229
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Having just watched the video of the fire, how on earth could this circuit retain it's classification in the top class. the response to a serious fire in the pit lane was laughable and an absolute disgrace, The rebellion mechanics response was commendable but those that should have been there were either lacking in training or the circuit was not providing the level of safety it should.
Old 15 Oct 2014, 10:41 (Ref:3465247)   #230
AndyN
Rookie

England
Somerset, naturalised
AndyN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Having just watched the video of the fire, how on earth could this circuit retain it's classification in the top class. the response to a serious fire in the pit lane was laughable and an absolute disgrace, The rebellion mechanics response was commendable but those that should have been there were either lacking in training or the circuit was not providing the level of safety it should.
Fully agree, this could obviously have had far worse consequences.
Old 15 Oct 2014, 19:29 (Ref:3465393)   #231
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
I agree, but if you look at the first video on the piece I posted yesterday, the full scale fire in the cockpit, could you honestly tell me that in those circumstances you's expect anyone to be cool, calm and rational?
I dont think he shouldve been calm or cool! Hey, I know the feeling because Ive been in a fire myself when I was young. Then my next door neighbors house caught fire when I was 14. In fact just this weekend an apartment caught fire in the community I live in. Its just a precaution to know how to exit and where to exit. Im not blaming the driver but the team's preparations on a situation where a driver needs to escape from the car couldve been a bit better. If he couldnt find the switch it must have been a very sudden event.
Old 16 Oct 2014, 17:21 (Ref:3465686)   #232
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Regarding the reaction time of anyone with a fire extinguisher, my thought while watching it go up was what if Christophe had been unable to get out of the car. We could be having a very different discussion.
Old 16 Oct 2014, 17:30 (Ref:3465689)   #233
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This has happened a number of times in the past season (not all in WEC): drivers getting out of cars, which burn down while safety crews are en route.

I hope someone somewhere in a position of power is as alarmed by this as we all should be because I really don't want us Ever to have that other conversation.
Old 16 Oct 2014, 17:45 (Ref:3465698)   #234
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That CLM fire was a very serious incident. A driver in a burning car is always serious, but this time the fire was INSIDE the cockpit. Is it already known what caused the fire, and how it got inside the cockpit? Also, is it a problem specific to the CLM, or could it theoretically happen to any closed LMP?

Fortunately, Bouchut was uninjured, so there is the chance to deal with the problems before someone is seriously hurt. There is a worrying tendency in motorsport to ignore these near misses, and only react when it is too late.
Old 16 Oct 2014, 18:54 (Ref:3465713)   #235
Albers Fan
Rookie

Netherlands
Albers Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello,

the second chassis is on the way to shanghai. but the components must completly rebuild.

Christophe Bouchut has endet his season after the fire in Fuji, he thinks its enough for this year.
Pierre Kaffer will start to the last 3 races.
Old 16 Oct 2014, 19:54 (Ref:3465720)   #236
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albers Fan View Post
Hello,

the second chassis is on the way to shanghai. but the components must completly rebuild.

Christophe Bouchut has endet his season after the fire in Fuji, he thinks its enough for this year.
Pierre Kaffer will start to the last 3 races.
Thanks, I hope they can get the car put together and make the grid.
Old 16 Oct 2014, 19:58 (Ref:3465721)   #237
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontlieue View Post
That CLM fire was a very serious incident. A driver in a burning car is always serious, but this time the fire was INSIDE the cockpit. Is it already known what caused the fire, and how it got inside the cockpit? Also, is it a problem specific to the CLM, or could it theoretically happen to any closed LMP?

Fortunately, Bouchut was uninjured, so there is the chance to deal with the problems before someone is seriously hurt. There is a worrying tendency in motorsport to ignore these near misses, and only react when it is too late.
The fire was caused by a failure in the fuel system.
Old 16 Oct 2014, 20:54 (Ref:3465730)   #238
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
The fire was caused by a failure in the fuel system.
Surely there should some fire protection for the cockpit area which would prevent the fire breaking into the drivers space?
Old 16 Oct 2014, 21:10 (Ref:3465736)   #239
TF110
Veteran

United States
I thought there was a firewall in these cars as well!?
Old 16 Oct 2014, 21:17 (Ref:3465742)   #240
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As far as safety has come recently in collision protection, I think the focus needs to shift to fire protection. We have been lucky too often for me to be comfortable. Regardless of what did or didn't work int eh Lotus fire, what Didn't work was the driver having to extricate himself and no one getting there for several seconds.

Should a driver be too injured to get out ... well I don't need to think about that any more ... but Someone does.
Old 17 Oct 2014, 10:13 (Ref:3465890)   #241
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Surely there should some fire protection for the cockpit area which would prevent the fire breaking into the drivers space?
Yeah as to why the fire was in the cockpit im not sure of.
Old 17 Oct 2014, 14:15 (Ref:3465932)   #242
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was wondering why any part of the fuel system would be on the driver's side of the firewall. The technical regs require that the fuel flow meters are located in the survival cell, for scrutineering and in case they need to be replaced. So there must be openings in the rear of the cell to allow the plumbing in and out. Could this be where the fire entered the cockpit?

This incident highlights the saftey trade off between open cars and coupes.

In a crash: A coupe will probably protect you better, but it is probably easier to get out of an open car. The driver is required to be able to exit the car on the driver's side within 7 seconds, and the passenger's side within 9 seconds (in LMP1).

Visibility: much better in an open car with no pillars or smeared windscreen, although recent changes have improved this a bit.

Heat: Worse in a coupe, although compulsory air con keeps it down somewhat. Max 32C if ambient temp is 25C or less, no more than ambient +7C if ambient is above 25C.
Old 20 Oct 2014, 04:25 (Ref:3466645)   #243
TF110
Veteran

United States
Looks like Lotus is going to China early to prepare the car
http://twitter.com/FIAWEC/status/524024432222674946
Old 20 Oct 2014, 11:13 (Ref:3466734)   #244
Koenigsegg
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
Koenigsegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So is it called a Lotus or a CLM?

Looks like everyone is confused at the moment.
Old 20 Oct 2014, 17:55 (Ref:3466849)   #245
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg View Post

Looks like everyone is confused at the moment.
I'm not sure, but I think the entrant is still called Lotus, but the car is now called the CLM P1/01.
Old 20 Oct 2014, 20:15 (Ref:3466911)   #246
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg View Post
When using Google, I find the use of the "CLM" name in mid September (likely earlier as well). So I don't think it is a new name. Even the tweet mentioned above, includes the both "Lotus" and "CLM", but just not next to each other. So I don't think anything is different. But I agree that the car has been referred by many names...

Lotus T129
Lotus P1/01
Lotus CLM P1/01
CLM P1/01

RCE has a photo of the chassis plate and it says "Lotus P1/01"

CLM is just the name of legal entity behind it all? I know there is speculation as to what CLM means. I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread (?) about the similarity between CLM (C??? Le Mans?) and CF1 (C? Formula One?) with both involving Colin Kolles. Does the "C" mean "Caterham", "Colin" or something else?

Richard
Old 20 Oct 2014, 22:47 (Ref:3466943)   #247
TF110
Veteran

United States
I had that thought too. C-Colin LM-Le Mans P1-lmp1 01-chassis number?
Old 21 Oct 2014, 09:55 (Ref:3467045)   #248
Albers Fan
Rookie

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I had that thought too. C-Colin LM-Le Mans P1-lmp1 01-chassis number?
thats right.

Lucas Auer join Kaffer and Rossitter in Shanghai.

greetings
Old 21 Oct 2014, 22:41 (Ref:3467212)   #249
Albers Fan
Rookie

Netherlands
The new chassis will arrive on friday in shanghai, where the mechanics start to rebuild the car.

Bouchut ist unpopular in the team after the last race.
He has not activated the fire extinguisher in the car.

Drivers:

Shanghai:
- Pierre Kaffer
- James Rossiter
- Lucas Auer

Bahrain:
- Christijan Albers
- Pierre Kaffer
- Simon Trummer

Interlagos:
- Thomas Holzer
- TBA
- TBA
Old 21 Oct 2014, 22:45 (Ref:3467213)   #250
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albers Fan View Post
The new chassis will arrive on friday in shanghai, where the mechanics start to rebuild the car.

Bouchut ist unpopular in the team after the last race.
He has not activated the fire extinguisher in the car.
Just a tip here - before anyone criticises Christophe Bouchut perhaps they should try having burning fuel sprayed around their head whilst trying to bring a race car to a halt safely.

Unimpressed that anyone chooses to place any blame whatsoever on the driver in those circumstances