Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Oct 2009, 05:44 (Ref:2551668)   #51
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On my daily run/walk/ride around the track, I've noticed that there are a few stands missing (combination downturn/other events like Townsville & Homebush/bigger corporate area in the pits, which I must say looks impressive). If they don't go popping up more stands and corporate areas, there will be some very interesting new areas opened up for general admission punters... thinking end of pit lane/second beach chicane. Wait and see, huh?
Old 1 Oct 2009, 08:33 (Ref:2551728)   #52
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test View Post
On my daily run/walk/ride around the track, I've noticed that there are a few stands missing (combination downturn/other events like Townsville & Homebush/bigger corporate area in the pits, which I must say looks impressive). If they don't go popping up more stands and corporate areas, there will be some very interesting new areas opened up for general admission punters... thinking end of pit lane/second beach chicane. Wait and see, huh?
Doing my normal rounds I frequent many businesses in the race precinct , the general concensus is "Ho Hum" interest seems to be long gone and living on the Coast I can honestly say that no one that I know is going to the event or is even remotely interested in the Internationals appearing and don't even know what cars are coming out for it .
Old 1 Oct 2009, 09:11 (Ref:2551751)   #53
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've also heard practically nothing from local businesses about the Super GP.

I'll be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks.
Old 1 Oct 2009, 09:31 (Ref:2551764)   #54
yap
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
yap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
I've also heard practically nothing from local businesses about the Super GP.

I'll be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks.
The level of interest/hype towards the event here on the coast seems to be waaaay down compared to previous years
Old 14 Oct 2009, 20:43 (Ref:2561548)   #55
yap
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
A1 GP cars haven't left yet, and are facing 4 days of FIA enforced safety modifications before they can leave London

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html
Old 15 Oct 2009, 02:01 (Ref:2561677)   #56
Muznik
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast
Muznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMuznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by yap View Post
A1 GP cars haven't left yet, and are facing 4 days of FIA enforced safety modifications before they can leave London

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html

Doesn't look like they will make it to QR for testing if they indeed make it at all.

Would it be a wise move to send the drivers out into the unforgiving concrete maze of Surfers without any testing at all?

Having not followed the series that closely, are there many rookie drivers for this event ?
Old 15 Oct 2009, 02:28 (Ref:2561689)   #57
Tucky70
Rookie

Australia
Qld
Tucky70 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muznik View Post
Doesn't look like they will make it to QR for testing if they indeed make it at all.

Would it be a wise move to send the drivers out into the unforgiving concrete maze of Surfers without any testing at all?

Having not followed the series that closely, are there many rookie drivers for this event ?
I think the ONLY driver any team has announced so far is Team Australia with John Martin. Pretty sure he's driven the coast circuit before in other formula (3 possibly?)
As for the rest of the field, who knows who they are?
Old 15 Oct 2009, 03:07 (Ref:2561698)   #58
ADZ351
Rookie

ADZ351 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it time to sharpen the A1 axe...
From a BAM Media press release...

"In response to the media speculation surrounding A1GP’s appearance at the Nikon SuperGP at this current time, event General Manager Greg Hooton will be available in the Nikon SuperGP Pit Lane at 3.00pm today, to read a statement and answer any questions. "

All to be revealed in an hour!
Old 15 Oct 2009, 03:24 (Ref:2561701)   #59
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
might be jumping to conclusions here but from that you would imagine they arn't comming. not that it would be a shock though.
Old 15 Oct 2009, 03:27 (Ref:2561702)   #60
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plan B...?

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 15 Oct 2009, 03:55 (Ref:2561703)   #61
MickAU
Racer

MickAU has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
Plan B...?
Superleague perhaps? What else is there??
Old 15 Oct 2009, 04:05 (Ref:2561704)   #62
williamsf1
Veteran

williamsf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
anyone have any answers yet?
Old 15 Oct 2009, 04:13 (Ref:2561706)   #63
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They could turn it into an F3 race and invite the world's best F3 drivers to bring their cars down from Macau?

Sure the speeds will be down, but they will probably be many more future F1 superstars in the field than the A1GP field, and there is no reason not to expect the crowd to be well satisfied by the spectacle?
Old 15 Oct 2009, 04:29 (Ref:2561713)   #64
williamsf1
Veteran

williamsf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so Mr Hooton is in pitlane now explaining what.....
Old 15 Oct 2009, 04:31 (Ref:2561714)   #65
yap
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
I would guess it is 3pm QLD time

So a bit longer to wait
Old 15 Oct 2009, 05:36 (Ref:2561728)   #66
ADZ351
Rookie

ADZ351 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The news... more confusion and a whole lot of nothing -

Nikon SuperGP General Manager Greg Hooton was available in the Nikon SuperGP Pit Lane at 3.00pm today, please see below for a copy of the statement which he read at that time.

“I need to make it clear that this event is happening next week. Do not lose sight of the fact that I’m standing in V8 Pit Lane where next week the V8 Supercars will for the first time ever have two, 200km races. The V8 Supercars are absolutely a major aspect of this event and will be here in force next week,” said Hooton.

“There are certainly rumours surrounding the appearance of the A1GP World Cup of Motorsport at the Nikon SuperGP at this time, there is no question about that.

“At this point in time, I need to make clear that A1GP has not breached any terms of contract with GCMEC (Gold Coast Motor Events Company*).

“The current situation is as follows:

“Operational staff within A1GP continue to work with our staff on preparing for their race.

“A1GP have released their teams list. I have letters from the competing teams committing to racing on the Gold Coast. A1GP have paid deposits on accommodation.

“A1GP have paid deposits on the hire of general equipment. A1GP have approved and completed their on-track signage. Where necessary, A1GP Teams have been making visa applications.

“They (A1GP) have released their 2009/10 series calendar and yesterday further released details on their next round in Zhuhai, which will follow our round.

“They have had their series rules for racing approved. They have provided a provisional driver listing to us but under their rules of racing this in fact can change up until the Wednesday before the event and in fact driver changes can occur between races within an event.

“A1GP are responsible for their own freight bookings and movement to ensure the cars are here for racing next Thursday.

“The taxpayer has not lost money, nor does the taxpayer face any risk of losing money at this event. This event, as has been stated previously, is completely underwritten by IMG.”

End of Statement
Old 15 Oct 2009, 05:45 (Ref:2561732)   #67
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is all this just bs to get some $$$ from the Qld government and cut and run because all these statements look ridiculous without cars.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 15 Oct 2009, 05:53 (Ref:2561734)   #68
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just got back from the press conference, and I suppose what can be taken from it is that there will be a much clearer picture painted tonight...
Old 15 Oct 2009, 05:59 (Ref:2561736)   #69
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If that's the case I'd say they are frantically mixing the paints..........
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 15 Oct 2009, 06:04 (Ref:2561738)   #70
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post
If that's the case I'd say they are frantically mixing the paints..........
...lol...and expect Alan Jones to wobble on to the News with another update...

But we don't want/need this to fall over otherwise there won't be a Gold Coast race anymore...[sad face]...

Old 15 Oct 2009, 06:17 (Ref:2561741)   #71
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The V8 Supercars are absolutely a major aspect of this event

.......and pretty obviously going to be the only aspect of the event.
Old 15 Oct 2009, 06:38 (Ref:2561750)   #72
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADZ351 View Post
The news... more confusion and a whole lot of nothing -

Nikon SuperGP General Manager Greg Hooton was available in the Nikon SuperGP Pit Lane at 3.00pm today, please see below for a copy of the statement which he read at that time.

“I need to make it clear that this event is happening next week. Do not lose sight of the fact that I’m standing in V8 Pit Lane where next week the V8 Supercars will for the first time ever have two, 200km races. The V8 Supercars are absolutely a major aspect of this event and will be here in force next week,” said Hooton.

“There are certainly rumours surrounding the appearance of the A1GP World Cup of Motorsport at the Nikon SuperGP at this time, there is no question about that.

“At this point in time, I need to make clear that A1GP has not breached any terms of contract with GCMEC (Gold Coast Motor Events Company*).

“The current situation is as follows:

“Operational staff within A1GP continue to work with our staff on preparing for their race.

“A1GP have released their teams list. I have letters from the competing teams committing to racing on the Gold Coast. A1GP have paid deposits on accommodation.

“A1GP have paid deposits on the hire of general equipment. A1GP have approved and completed their on-track signage. Where necessary, A1GP Teams have been making visa applications.

“They (A1GP) have released their 2009/10 series calendar and yesterday further released details on their next round in Zhuhai, which will follow our round.

“They have had their series rules for racing approved. They have provided a provisional driver listing to us but under their rules of racing this in fact can change up until the Wednesday before the event and in fact driver changes can occur between races within an event.

“A1GP are responsible for their own freight bookings and movement to ensure the cars are here for racing next Thursday.

“The taxpayer has not lost money, nor does the taxpayer face any risk of losing money at this event. This event, as has been stated previously, is completely underwritten by IMG.”

End of Statement
Nice work!

Says a lot but says nothing. Basically that all the usual things appear as if the A1GP circus is coming, and that they havent reached a drop dead point such that they arent...

No need for deniability..

Very swish...

What will happen to the V8's if this class doesnt show? Will they run more/longer races? Are Dunlop & the teams in a position to manage this?

Very very strange.....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 15 Oct 2009, 07:07 (Ref:2561759)   #73
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
What will happen to the V8's if this class doesnt show? Will they run more/longer races? Are Dunlop & the teams in a position to manage this?
Cars 6 (S.Richards) and 18 (J.Courtney) both have plenty of tyres and E85
Old 15 Oct 2009, 07:23 (Ref:2561764)   #74
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Watch a mini enduro around Surfers?

I think I'd rather go to the dentist!
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 15 Oct 2009, 07:28 (Ref:2561765)   #75
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
Just replay Bath-hurst without the adds and everyone will think it's a different race...

...and Allan Jones has wobbled onto the 10 News and said if the cars aren't here by Monday he'll be very worried.