Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 4 Mar 2003, 11:02 (Ref:524319)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Type of Shot

Over the years we've moved on from the standard panning shot to the front view. There must be good reasons for this but I suppose one must be the improvement in zoom lens technology.

So on the basis that we are photographing cars on a track what is your favoutrite type of photograph to take and what is your favourite type to view? They are not necessarily the same.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 13:56 (Ref:524496)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like the shots from the corner where the drama is highest. When the racecar is down on its front end and brake dust is flying and tires are locking. Unfortunately if the track won't allow you access you need huge, fast lenses and they come at a premium.

Panning shots are always good if the background can give the sensation speed well enough.
Never forget #99
Old 4 Mar 2003, 14:16 (Ref:524507)   #3
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Easy to chose. Panning. Front views are not available for me.

PS: Not the big telephoto lenses are the problems for me.... It's the fences. Or track acces if you wish...
Old 4 Mar 2003, 17:41 (Ref:524626)   #4
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You will notice that pictures from some-certainly from Mick Walker in Autosport that about 95% are virtually head on shots. Although it may look impressive to strutt round with a 400ml/500ml the size of a sewage pipe it limits your choice to very little. Obviously great for those head on's but as I have found out-if something happens in front of you or you need to pan close up you may as well forget it!
Old 4 Mar 2003, 21:00 (Ref:524832)   #5
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was at Copse for the 2000 GP and the guys in the bunker deep in the gravel trap had four or five cameras each. One really long huge lense and then lesser ones along side.
Never forget #99
Old 4 Mar 2003, 21:14 (Ref:524849)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i like front on pics that have the car at a slight angle going into a corner. having the whole car in the picture is a bit boring and difficult to do anything with.

that's what i think anyway.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 21:28 (Ref:524872)   #7
NGS
Rookie

NGS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, I like rear-on shots. Firstly because they're creative, a break from the normal. Second, because I do. Just wierd me.

Nigel Graham Schlemming
Old 4 Mar 2003, 22:02 (Ref:524912)   #8
Alan
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire, UK
Alan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going off shots taken with long focal length lenses. I've just been to a motocross event and took only a 35-80mm zoom. It was great, brighter images in the viewfinder and lighter on the shoulder.
Its fairly easy to get close at these events and I'm aiming to practice panning close up with a 35mm lens - I think these type of pictures are far more dynamic.
I agree with Bella, front on pics look much better going into a corner at a slight angle.
Old 4 Mar 2003, 23:20 (Ref:525031)   #9
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like rear end shots as well...trouble is my wife nearly took the film off me after my Autosport show shots were processed!
Old 4 Mar 2003, 23:41 (Ref:525063)   #10
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i can't comment, arses in nomex are one of the few redeeming sights at 9am on a sunday morning with a hangover

seriously though. what's most important for me is what's in the background. anyone who knows me will know i throw a chronic wobbly if there's something nasty in the background of any of my shots.

of course it all depends if you prefer arty motorsport shots or documentary motorsport shots. arty ones don't necessarily show what's going on (to quote at least one frenault driver 'why don't any of your pictures have the whole car in?'), but then again, anyone can take a shot of a car...
Old 11 Mar 2003, 11:48 (Ref:532539)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thruxton Chicane. Quite an exciting pic by Mary Harvey.

http://www.mallettracing.co.uk/IMAGES/Thruxton95-1.JPG

Then this one by Steve Jones

http://www.mallettracing.co.uk/IMAGE...rstone96-1.JPG

Then there’s this one by an unnamed Belgian Photographer.

http://www.mallettracing.co.uk/IMAGES/scan5.jpg

Of the above Mary and Steve capture the action better than the Belgian Gent (It was Spa Francorchamps BTW). He did get some good ones into and through the Bus Stop though. All from my website because I have no other examples with me.
Old 11 Mar 2003, 18:56 (Ref:533061)   #12
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My favourite shots are front on, with the cars at a slight angle as they come through the corner.
I don't do panning shots as often, but I took a couple panning from the inside of Knickerbrook and it's frightening just how much the cars will fill up the lens there!
I'm not a great fan of incomplete cars in photos. When I've taken photos at F1 testing, I've chucked any photos where I've missed a bit of the front wing and was then astounded to see photos exactly like that in race programmes.
Knockhill with the cars on two wheels can be good for rear view type shots.