Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 22 Dec 2019, 21:40 (Ref:3948111)   #6226
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It’s a new one on me. But I’m sure it’s a classic in it’s own right. Certainly looks the business. Just never heard the name before
Old 23 Dec 2019, 03:06 (Ref:3948136)   #6227
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I count on EB to upload a pic of a very special body, seen in a TV series, called Les petits meurtres d'Agatha Christie. I dont recommend to watch but the cars casting is really good. The inspecteur principal drives a Facel.
http://www.facel-vega.asso.fr/tv/pet...smeurtres.html
A Facellia welded hardtop to be specific.

I see it is on Paris plates.(plaques d'immatriculation or plaques minéralogiques?)

Edit:Actually just noticed in the pics there are at least three cars with different plates. One is suffix #62 (Pas-de-Calais / Arras) and one is #59 (Lille) plus the Paris #75. So, one car with different plates or three different cars?
The car(s) used was/were rented from a collector in the North.

Quote:
Another awkward kweschion… E.B, rbs, you had at least one F1 driver using a HK 500. Bauble's era…
A bit of Facel Vega trivia related to that question.... the Facel Vega Sport (FVS) had a chassis (but not the ashtrays!) designed by Lance Macklin, British F1 driver of note from the 1950's (and whose Father Noel was founder of both Invicta and Railton)

Last edited by E.B; 23 Dec 2019 at 03:11.
Old 23 Dec 2019, 03:48 (Ref:3948139)   #6228
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C
Mike, could it be a Westminster engine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I read somewhere that it was an Austin Healey engine, but it would have had that on the valve cover, so you’re probably right.
Hehehe I used to own an MGC GT which was affectionately referred to to as an Austin Westminster Coupe.

Mike maybe not (AH on the valve cover) I also saw a pic of a 'concourse' car displaying just Austin.
Old 23 Dec 2019, 05:44 (Ref:3948148)   #6229
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Hehehe I used to own an MGC GT which was affectionately referred to to as an Austin Westminster Coupe.

Mike maybe not (AH on the valve cover) I also saw a pic of a 'concourse' car displaying just Austin.
Because it being an Austin Healey mabe.
Old 23 Dec 2019, 06:28 (Ref:3948151)   #6230
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Yes, but let’s face it, ‘Austin Healey’ sounds a bit more glamorous, and in keeping with the car’s image! I wonder how the Facellia owners felt when they found that their extremely costly and exclusive French car had a pushrod 4 pot Volvo engine!

Old 23 Dec 2019, 07:13 (Ref:3948153)   #6231
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

What is the car in the pic- Healey or MG? Just realised it isn't a FV......
Old 23 Dec 2019, 07:15 (Ref:3948154)   #6232
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Right EB, plaques d'immatriculation or/and plaques minéralogiques both work.
Suffix #59 and #62 lead to Hauts de France, owner and John's area. As you say #75 is Seine but I dont think they found and used three cars in this state. May be one cabriolet was used for gros plans statiques, lets say focuses.
Mike gave the answer, it was Sir Strirling Moss who became ambassador of the marque.

I wonder how the Facellia owners felt when they found that their extremely costly and exclusive French car had a pushrod 4 pot Volvo engine! My guess is that the owners would prefer not to know what was lying under the bonnet. With the first version, they learned presto how to open the bonnet and how often to check the oil level…
Old 23 Dec 2019, 07:18 (Ref:3948155)   #6233
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I go for a Healey. A red one to be specific…
Old 23 Dec 2019, 07:25 (Ref:3948156)   #6234
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Healey 3000 Mk 111
Old 23 Dec 2019, 07:27 (Ref:3948158)   #6235
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
And red, yes?
Old 23 Dec 2019, 07:36 (Ref:3948160)   #6236
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I recognise that engine very well. My family used to have the Farina bodied Westminster. Was that the 110? Oh yes I've just looked.

Huge barge of a car. 3 speed gearbox with semi-automatic overdrive. Not very economical! At the age of 14 I could start that six cylinder lump on the handle when the starter failed which was frequently. I could also remove said starter and get it working again, as well as top up the shock absorber for MoT.

We had it in 1976, which means the car was at most 14 years old and we were driving a rusty old banger on a wing and a prayer. Mrs MM's current TT daily driver is 20 years old, my Volvo celebrates its 18th next year. Who says cars aren't as well built these days?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 23 Dec 2019, 07:45 (Ref:3948162)   #6237
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Mike gave the answer, it was Sir Strirling Moss who became ambassador of the marque.
The bit about Macklin designing the FVS chassis was just a bit of trivia I threw in seeing as Mike beat me to the driver name.
I dont know whether they all owned the HK500, but SSM was not the only F1 person to own a Facel Vega..... Paul Frère, Rob Walker and Maurice Trintignant also owned them and would drive them to many Euro circuits. Trintigant owned 3 over the years, the last an FV3B (with a Chrysler 4.9 litre V8) which he bought the week after winning Monaco in 1958.

That car was offered for sale a couple of years ago. A bit about F1 drivers and their Facels here in the auction blurb for his car.
https://www.jbclassiccars.com/?portf...ce-trintignant
Old 23 Dec 2019, 09:50 (Ref:3948173)   #6238
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the current topic being the Facel Vega , it brings a memory of one in a Film . Cannot remember if it was the hero or villain who drives a HK500 along the road in a Northern European country , [mountains and trees ], then stops by a bridge over the river to survey the scenery .

Can anyone remember the name of the film , possibly from the 70,s , I believe it was the first time I saw one and did not know what it was at the time .
Old 23 Dec 2019, 10:26 (Ref:3948175)   #6239
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wish I had never posted that picture of a Facel Vega in my Parade, it's spawned all of these dreadfully boring anecdotes, and reminiscences.
What a fool I am
Old 23 Dec 2019, 10:37 (Ref:3948177)   #6240
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I wish I had never posted that picture of a Facel Vega in my Parade, it's spawned all of these dreadfully boring anecdotes, and reminiscences.
What a fool I am
At least we had the courtesy not to divert your pic thread with them!

Didn’t someone say ‘The day you stop learning is the day you stop living’? Works for me....
Old 23 Dec 2019, 10:54 (Ref:3948180)   #6241
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
At least we had the courtesy not to divert your pic thread with them!

Didn’t someone say ‘The day you stop learning is the day you stop living’? Works for me....
You are right Mike. I should be grateful for small mercies, and if I am ever asked about Facile Vegans I will have a ready sauce.
Old 23 Dec 2019, 11:02 (Ref:3948183)   #6242
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
You are right Mike. I should be grateful for small mercies, and if I am ever asked about Facile Vegans I will have a ready sauce.
From what I've read in your comments over the years Baub you've always appeared to have ready sauce.
Old 23 Dec 2019, 13:34 (Ref:3948206)   #6243
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Hehe I was out the other day and saw this sign outside a shop which is along a similar vein.

Old 23 Dec 2019, 13:43 (Ref:3948208)   #6244
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Hehe I was out the other day and saw this sign outside a shop which is along a similar vein.
Also worth remembering!
Old 23 Dec 2019, 13:51 (Ref:3948210)   #6245
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
From what I've read in your comments over the years Baub you've always appeared to have ready sauce.
That's OK Viv.
Old 23 Dec 2019, 14:10 (Ref:3948215)   #6246
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Christmas Reading

I see MUK have provided my Christmas reading with the 2020 Blue & Gold books available online
Old 23 Dec 2019, 14:54 (Ref:3948223)   #6247
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A Very Merry Christmas & a Happy Twenty-Twentea to one & all!!

JOHN
Old 23 Dec 2019, 22:11 (Ref:3948305)   #6248
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Errrrrrrr I know you are all very excited about me racing in South Africa but to have three!!!! Threads all going at the same time is most flattering .Wheres a Mod when you need one .
Old 23 Dec 2019, 23:03 (Ref:3948309)   #6249
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My '97 Go kart nearly up and running now.Petrol tank found and fitted. Just the carburetors and off we go. Should be testing early January most likely Bayford Meadows. Been a long one but the end is in sight. Now who goes in it first hmmm
Old 24 Dec 2019, 03:22 (Ref:3948331)   #6250
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Healey.