Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 22 Jan 2003, 13:59 (Ref:482439)   #1
FORD-FIA
Rookie

FORD-FIA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tom Lynch Camaro

Hello,
I'm new to this forum but this looks like the right place to put a few questions out that I have. I need information about a 1967 Chevrolet Camaro that was raced in the UK during 1967-on by we think a Mr Tom Lynch. He raced the Camaro at Silverstone, Oulton Park and also the 24 hours of Spa in July of the same year, co-driven by Dick Thompson. Also curious if anyone remembers a "Carey Coachworks" in West London that this car might have been involved with. The Carey spelling could be wrong and the time period of this connection would be about 1970 to 1978. This Camaro should have been white or silver and posibly a single blue stripe at some point. It was later raced by Rob Potter in ASCAR and won the series in 1979 but wrecked at Brands the following year. Looking to prove the Rob Potter connection to Tom Lynch. Email me direct if you'd like.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Steve Francis
info@ford-fia.com
www.ford-fia.com
Old 22 Jan 2003, 23:54 (Ref:482972)   #2
DaveM
Racer

DaveM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Steve.
Here's a pretty ropey photo I took at Club during the British GP meeting on 15th July 67. Tom Lynch leads Mike Young, Steve Neal and three Johns, Rhodes, Fitzpatrick and Handley.
I'm not sure if I have any more, I seem to think there may be one at Oulton. I'll have a look later, meantime I hope this one helps.
Attached Thumbnails
67-07-15 silverstone tom lynch.jpg  
Old 23 Jan 2003, 12:43 (Ref:483406)   #3
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Again David, that's a terrific shot. You know what? I was at Club for that meeting as a specatator.
The old Club was a real corner. I remember watching the 956/962s of Palmer in particular getting through there flat, well maybe using the left foot just to steady the front end.
Earlier in F3, in absolutely flooded conditions, I recall reading the word 'Dunlop' on one of my front wheels because it was stationary with lock on at the time, on the approach to Club. (Aquaplaning)
Some years later in FIA GT again with the circuit flooded, excited commentators came rushing up, asking feverously whether we'd ever seen such diabolically attrocious conditions - I said 'yes thank you, I have.'
Ramble ramble. Fabulous pic. Back to Tom.

Last edited by gfm; 23 Jan 2003 at 12:45.
Old 23 Jan 2003, 14:13 (Ref:483510)   #4
FORD-FIA
Rookie

Lynch Camaro

David,
Thanks for posting that great action photo. Is that the Tom Lynch Camaro or the Hugh Dibley/Peter Gethin Camaro? I don't have an entry list showing what car number Lynch used for Silverstone. Tom Lynch also attended the May 29th 1967 Oulton Park ETC event and the July 22/23 1967 Spa 24 hrs event with Dick Thompson as a co-driver. The Camaro would be shown as #7 at Spa.
Steve
Old 23 Jan 2003, 20:46 (Ref:483829)   #5
DaveM
Racer

DaveM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve...
Yes, it is Tom Lynch. At least that's what I put in the album at the time. Although the race programme is long gone the number on the car is clear enough so there's no reason to doubt it.
Of all the programmes I bought during those years (my albums tell me I went to 15 meetings in 67 - not a record but I didn't have much money to throw around) only five have survived.
On 29th May I was at Croft and certainly couldn't afford Spa so can't help with those. I couldn't find any more Lynch photos.

John...
As you can see from the photo, I was in the spectator area too and agree that it was a tremendous corner to watch from, as for racing round it - 3 balls on the braveryometer I reckon - I suspect that St Michael would have been pretty well soiled if I had tried it.
We used to spend Friday evening in the pub up here in Yorkshire then at chucking out time drive down to Silverstone (drink driving hadn't been invented), arive at about 3am, 40 winks, straight in at 6 o'clock when the gates opened to bag a place at the fence, wait 4 hours for the first race (when the latecomers would be given short shrift for trying to barge to the front), watch a full days racing (F1, F3, GT, Saloons, Histerics), wander round the paddock after the last race trying to spot drivers, finish off any sandwiches and crisps which had escaped earlier, 40 more winks, pick nose, queue three hours to get out, home at midnight. Those were the days.
Old 24 Jan 2003, 11:35 (Ref:484361)   #6
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perfect David, perfect. 67 - 68 I was as much as a spectator as anything and did the same as you. My favourite spectator places were the third loudspeaker out of Madgwick/Goodwood (prior to 66 of course), second loudspeaker out of Club/Silverstone and right on the exit at Druids/Brands, mentioned somewhere on this board already.
Weren’t the sleeping arrangements painful? Overnight in a Mini Cooper was difficult at 6’3” wasn’t it? (Not as bad as overnight next to Loch Ness in a 105E, but ‘she’ made it pretty much sleepless in any case- but we schoolboys mustn’t mention such stuff now, must we?). They were indeed the days at least for us, but let’s not live too much in the past. Young chaps now are doing it for Le Mans and GPs aren’t they?
Let me tell you a bit more about Club inside the racecar. It was so important for a quick lap on the old GP circuit, even more so for the small formula slip-streamers.
You needed to work extremely hard to get in the right place into Stowe. There wasn’t usually enough build up of speed into Club to normal pass the guy in front into Club, and it cost too much momentum to get the perfect exit out in any case.
You had to tee things up very accurately through Club to give yourself a bit of space from the guy in front, without allowing the guy behind to get inside you and spoil things which they did regularly.
You needed to be one and a half car’s length behind on the exit of Club with an extra couple of miles-an-hour on the guy in front. 5 miles-an-hour was too much because you’d catch him just before Abbey (a flat in top left curve then) and have to back off. No good. So out of Club starting to close the gap, half a car’s length behind going through Abbey and stay hard right on the road, to get by taking the inside line under the Bridge for the fantastic old right hander Woodcote.
Two quick reminisces. One lap I came under the Bridge and something broke on the back of the Merlyn FF. I went backwards into the wall on the inside (right) and concussed myself on the roll over bar. Big mess, car in any pieces, deep gouges in the wall. We slewed to a halt and the marshals came running over to find me out cold with my feet sticking out with no shoes on. That put them in a flap. As I’m tall with feet big enough to stop me falling forward, I often removed my shoes to drive. They thought I was in real trouble wondering what the injuries must have been and where my shoes had gone!
Second rem; last lap of SuperVW race 73 or 74 international, I was third, Rosberg clear out in front and I had de St Hubert in front and we did this teeing up process through Club. However, de St Hubert was clever and had regularly had the entrance into Woodcote covered by staying right under the Bridge. So this time as we came under the bridge, I feinted towards the left getting larger in his rear-view mirror, which drew him slightly to the left. At the last minute, I dived right back across the rear of his car, which gave me an extra whoosh of momentum and got my front two wheels alongside his rears. But he was closing the door and squeezed and squeezed and finally pushed me on the grass on the inside. We both had missed our braking point but I was plainly out of control on the inside, bouncing over grass and stuff, so he just had to steer straight and give us some room. We just made it to the flag in front. It was worth an extra 1000 dmarks so it was a risk worth taking!
But getting Club right was the key.
What year was it that Stewart/Tyrell and Rindt/Lotus had that titanic battle? Was it 68? Through Club, that was spectacular.
I guess we should give this thread back to Tom Lynch. Excuse me.
Old 24 Jan 2003, 11:39 (Ref:484366)   #7
gfm
Veteran

Great shots of Woodcote from Andrew again on his Silverstone thread. A corner for real men, and bloody dangerous. Did Rosberg get through there flat on his 160 mph qualifying lap?
Old 25 Jan 2003, 10:08 (Ref:485376)   #8
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
gfm and Dave - great memories!! The Stewart / Rindt battle was 69 - I watched from stowe as a 10 year old. I particularly remember the F3 race and my old man pointing out a yellow and blue car.'watch him' he said, 'He'll be in F1 soon'. Turned out it was Ronnie.
Rosberg was not quite flat through Woodcote on his run in 85 as it included the chicane - and he had a slow puncture!!
Old 25 Jan 2003, 12:50 (Ref:485486)   #9
gfm
Veteran

Rosberg had this scandinavian habit of getting on and off the throttle quite brutally, going into corners to get the whole car 'moving'.
I remember going downhill on the Ring towards Adeneur Bridge (pls excuse spelling) one morning FSVW practice and came across some violently wavng yellows. Then there was a gearbox and two rear wheels in the road, and further round the corner was the front half of the car with Rosberg still strapped into it. I said to myself 'that'll teach you to be so brutal with the throttle ... bet you won't do that in F1.' But he did didn't he?
Highlight of my life - beating Rosberg in Sweden (but he's Finnish - and he beat me at Silverstone, Zolder and the 'Ring etc!).
Old 25 Jan 2003, 12:58 (Ref:485492)   #10
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
John, what sort of times were you doing around the old Ring in a Supervee?
Old 25 Jan 2003, 13:16 (Ref:485508)   #11
gfm
Veteran

I think you had to get close to 8m 20s to get on pole - remember it's wasn't as user friendly in '73 - '76 as it is now. Many humps and corners have been eased. I think I struggled to get below 8 30. The last race I did was in the wet; now that really was living! I think I was sixth.
The Pits straight was where it is now but there was a simple loop back round behind the pits and back out onto the main circuit. So that was your lap.
This all sounds like another 'topic'.

Last edited by gfm; 25 Jan 2003 at 13:17.
Old 25 Jan 2003, 20:39 (Ref:485837)   #12
racing fxgt
Racer

racing fxgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Found this pic from 1967,but no info on track or race.
Attached Thumbnails
cam.jpg  
Old 25 Jan 2003, 22:36 (Ref:485918)   #13
FORD-FIA
Rookie

Another great photo of the Tom Lynch Camaro. Interesting to see the fuel filler in the panel between the rear window and trunk lid and the license plate is nearly clear. This is the first rear view photo I've seen of the car. Could this also be 7/15/67 Silverstone? Thanks for posting the photo! Now if we can just get information of Carey Coachworks.
Steve
Old 26 Jan 2003, 09:58 (Ref:486234)   #14
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
It looks like Silverstone as the people gathered there seem to be at the end of one of the runways and with the crowd in the distance back along a straight, I would say that almost certainly they are on hangar and this is Stowe.
Also the car is no.54 again as in the first shot. Competitors rarely had the same number on their cars in those days. They would change from race to race.
I have to try and work out locations from photos like this quite often for my paintings.

Last edited by Andrew Kitson; 26 Jan 2003 at 10:01.
Old 27 Jan 2003, 21:32 (Ref:487719)   #15
FORD-FIA
Rookie

After seeing the photo showing Tom Lynch's Camaro spinning at Silversone, we have determined the Camaro we have here is not the Lynch car. Our car still has it's original panel and has never had a quick fill in that area behind the back glass. Thanks once again for sending that fantastic shot! So we're back to looking for the driver of our Camaro before Rob Potter owned/raced it in the late 1970's ASCAR Series.
Old 3 Feb 2007, 06:07 (Ref:1832363)   #16
Bryan Thomson
Rookie

Bryan Thomson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bryan Thomson Please email bryanandloel@bigpond.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD-FIA
Hello,
. I need information about a 1967 Chevrolet Camaro that was raced in the UK during 1967-on by we think a Mr Tom Lynch. He raced the Camaro at Silverstone, Oulton Park and also the 24 hours of Spa in July of the same year, co-driven by Dick Thompson. Also curious if anyone remembers a "Carey Coachworks" in West London that this car might have been involved with. The Carey spelling could be wrong and the time period of this connection would be about 1970 to 1978. This Camaro should have been white or silver and posibly a single blue stripe at some point. It was later raced by Rob Potter in ASCAR and won the series in 1979 but wrecked at Brands the following year. Looking to prove the Rob Potter connection to Tom Lynch. Email me direct if you'd like.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Steve Francis
info@ford-fia.com
www.ford-fia.com
I'm new to this forum but this looks like the right place to put a few questions out that I have
Old 3 Feb 2007, 06:23 (Ref:1832367)   #17
Bryan Thomson
Rookie

Bryan Thomson here. I drove with Tom Lynch IN 1967 at Spa. Have some photo'sof the Camaro. Please contact.
Old 3 Feb 2007, 15:39 (Ref:1832600)   #18
Jeff Barley
Racer

Jeff Barley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Bryan.. I own the Silver-Blue Camaro that Ford-FIA refers to in his earlier forum thread.. At one time it was believed to have been the ex-Lynch car until I prooved otherwise, and although the actual history of my car is close to being unraveled the final pieces of the jigsaw are annoyingly elusive..

As part of my research into all the ex-TransAm 67 camaros I am interested in any information on the 1st Generation Camaro race cars that came across from the US and would really appreciate seeing any photos or info that you can recall on the Lynch car.. FYI, the Lynch car was built by Bobby Joe McDonald out of Dana Chevrolet in CA and was the sister car to the Guldstrand driven car.. I was fortunatly able to trace BJMcD and speak with him before he died a couple of years ago.. My recollection is that Tom Lynch came to Europe in 67 to act as part of Guldstrands crew at Le Mans that year and took the opportunity to do some saloon racing in Europe whilst he was here.. His first (and only) T/A race in 67 / 68 was at Sebring in 67 when he DNF'd on the 1st lap having used the wrong pin on the gear shift which sheared and lost his ability to shift gears.. shortly afterwards the car was shipped to Europe but did return (unusually) to the US..
Old 7 Mar 2007, 03:54 (Ref:1860303)   #19
67-Mike
Rookie

67-Mike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lynch Camaro

HI there, I am new to the forum and am the owner of the Tom Lynch Camaro. I live in the states. I am in the process of restoring the car and am looking for any information that might help. Especially any photos. I have more pictures of the car from the UK than I do of the races here in the states, but any more that I can find would be extremely helpful! After sanding it down, I have found 2 other colors after the white. First a bright yellow, then a metallic blue. No info on those colors though. I can't seem to locate Tom Lynch and loose track of the races after late 1969.
Old 7 Mar 2007, 08:45 (Ref:1860393)   #20
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
67-Mike, welcome to the forum!

I am sure that our willing historians will be able to come up with further info about your Camaro's background in due course.

I hope you take the opportunity to scout through the rest of the History forums and 10-10th in general.

chunterer
Old 13 Aug 2008, 04:05 (Ref:2268220)   #21
Bryan Thomson
Rookie

Hello Rookie, Wev'e contacted before re Tom Lynch Camaro 02/07 Car at Silverstone is Tom (no54) I have the
race results to confirm. My interest is to try and contact Tom again. Have you any clues?
Bryan Thomson---co. driver at Spa 24 hr. 1967.
Old 13 Aug 2008, 04:50 (Ref:2268227)   #22
67-Mike
Rookie

Thomas Lynch

I have no idea where Tom Lynch is. I have been searching for him since I've had the car. Any information that you may have about him would help me greatly in my quest. You can email me @ dmhaemmig@sbcglobal.net - I would love to talk to you. If you would email me your phone number and the best time to call, I would really appreciate it!
Thanks,
Mike
Old 25 Dec 2008, 00:34 (Ref:2360936)   #23
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thommo and 67-Mike,

How are you two going with tracking down Tom and other info on the car?

Cheers
Old 9 Mar 2009, 19:32 (Ref:2412418)   #24
67-Mike
Rookie

I still have no idea where to find Thomas Lynch or any more info on the Lynch - Dana Chevrolet Camaro. Thanks again to Bryan Thomson for the video you sent of the 67 races. I have watched it many, many times! It is my only image of Tom Lynch. Once again, if anyone has any information that will help with the restoration of this race car, I would greatly appreciate it! (Any info!!!)
Mike
Old 23 Oct 2013, 01:50 (Ref:3321975)   #25
groupseven
Rookie

Canada
whitby ontario canada
groupseven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi all, can't seem to get the two photos on this thread to load. it just spins away ! there are some photos of the lynch camaro on the friedman site, in the sebring 1967 set. there is a link to these photos on the camaros.org. site., in todays posts in the trans am 1967 review thread. members on this forum, especially the moderator jon mello are very helpful & know their stuff.

mike [groupseven] in canada