Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Jun 2006, 16:28 (Ref:1645024)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
AMOC, St John Horsfall Meeting, Silverstone, 1st July (With Photos)

The only reason that I am missing the first day of the excellent HSCC 2 day event at Snetterton is because I intend to go to Silverstone to watch my favourite marque. The St John Horsfall meeting was the first full race meeting that I ever attended, on Saturday, May 28, 1966, and in the ensuing 40 years, I reckon that I have been to at least 30 of them. I'll no doubt be posting a few pics up next week. Anyone else going?
Old 30 Jun 2006, 21:56 (Ref:1645307)   #2
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
The only reason that I am missing the first day of the excellent HSCC 2 day event at Snetterton is because I intend to go to Silverstone to watch my favourite marque. The St John Horsfall meeting was the first full race meeting that I ever attended, on Saturday, May 28, 1966, and in the ensuing 40 years, I reckon that I have been to at least 30 of them. I'll no doubt be posting a few pics up next week. Anyone else going?

I nearly missed this meeting but luckily a friend spotted it

A good chance to shoot on the International circuit after a visit to the pits and paddock
Old 30 Jun 2006, 22:44 (Ref:1645362)   #3
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As mentioned in the other thread, I'll be there in the Alfa, in the 50s Sportscar Challenge.

Pass the suntan cream!

James W
Old 1 Jul 2006, 00:47 (Ref:1645420)   #4
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll be marshalling this. One of the best meetings

Hope to see you. (In the bar after the racing. Not during, otherwise that means......................)
Old 1 Jul 2006, 20:31 (Ref:1645843)   #5
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was a tad warm at Silverstone today

Shame it wasn't run on the International track but there was some excellent cars out

The Healeys had a great race....will sort some photos out later in the week.
Old 3 Jul 2006, 20:23 (Ref:1647568)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Looking forward to seeing those, brands, and it was good to meet you! A few pics from earlier on in the day. Tony Riseley's 1931 Aston Martin International, and David Grace's 1960 Healey 3000 Mk1, both at rest in the paddock:-

Paul Edward's takes his 911RS down the Club Straight during qualifying for the Intermarque Championship:-

Robert Rawe and James Wenyon practice their driver change for the Half Hour Enduro:-
Old 4 Jul 2006, 09:52 (Ref:1647869)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Between the bridges on the Club Straight - at speed, David Brock-Jest qualifying for the Pre 1960 Aston race in his DB2/4 MkIII.

Andy Shepherd, same place, in his AC Ace-Bristol, qualifying for the 50's Sports Car Team Challenge:-

Cluttered Scene. The cars line up ready for their qualifying for the half hour Enduro:-
Old 4 Jul 2006, 19:03 (Ref:1648249)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
First Race of the day was, fittingly, the St John Horsfall Trophy Race which is run solely for prewar Astons. This was won, not unexpectedly, by Andy Bell in his Monoposto Aston. However, there was dicing going on behind. Here we see, Jim Campbell in 1934 MkII, tailed by Simon Baldwin (1933 Le Mans) followed by David Taylor (1940 Speed Model) and Peter Dubski (1935 MkII with Ulster style body):-

Keith Piper's 1932 International model:-

Richard Lake's 1937 Speed Model:-

Holly Mason's ex-works 1934 LM17; behind is Simon Baldwin:-
Old 4 Jul 2006, 20:28 (Ref:1648313)   #9
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John I love your Healey driver change picture. Which reminds me strongly of all rallying i did in a friends healey. We never lose on speed but on getting in and out the car to report at the "check points".
Old 6 Jul 2006, 09:37 (Ref:1649492)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Thanks, Esper; I try to grab a few pit scenes when I can; pot luck though!

Race 2 was for post 1960 Astons, although the real cut off date is 1959 when production switched from DB2/4 MkIII to the much more potent DB4.
Michael Mallock took the Marsh Plant DB4 to victory ahead of rising AMOC 'star', young Charlie Kemp, who couldn't quite stay with Michael. They had a fairly lonely race stretching away from the field whilst the evergreen Pete Foster worked his way up to third in his DB4:-

David Such in V8 and James Wenyon, DB4, keep close company whilst Robert Rawe hoves into view:-

Lovely car, lovely colour; Jeremy Cooke's DB4:-

A good dice took place between Peter Wheeler's DB4 and Rikki Cann's DBS v8 Vantage. Exiting Luffield into Woodcote:-

Last edited by John Turner; 6 Jul 2006 at 09:42.
Old 9 Jul 2006, 11:41 (Ref:1651263)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 3 featured the Healeys, and the classic confrontation of recent years in this series, between the straightline speed of a big Healey against the more nimble, better handling Sprite again entertained us. On this occasion it was David Smithies in his early 3000 and Christian Andrew in his Frog Eye that diced closely for the lead for most of the race, which ended in victory for the 'littlun'! First picture shows them coming through Brooklands passed the beached 3000 Mk11 of Bill Rawles; the next two simply the closeness of the tussle:-

Demonstrating typical Big Healey oversteer is David Grace, whilst Eric Woolley has just wound his off!:-

Last edited by John Turner; 9 Jul 2006 at 11:43.
Old 9 Jul 2006, 16:01 (Ref:1651369)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I wouldn't normally want to show such a poor out of focus shot, but have you ever seen a big Healey suffering terminal understeer? In stark contrast to the previous picture, Robert Rawe's Healey demonstrates just that. He was fighting this every lap around Luffield with right hand lock on most of the time:-

Race 4 was for Pre 1960 Astons and was won with some ease by Martin Glone in the DB3S. In fact they finished in the order shown here. Mcglone was followed home by Andrew Sharp in the DB2(55), David Bennett in another DB3S(58) and Andy Bell's Monoposto (30):-

Old 10 Jul 2006, 21:43 (Ref:1652940)   #13
goforit500
Veteran

goforit500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi John,

You didn't happen to grab any shots of the Yellow Ultima playing out, did you ??

I drove the 1st stint in the enduro & had a whale of a time with Phil Bennet in the DB !!

Cheers,

brian
Old 10 Jul 2006, 23:57 (Ref:1653045)   #14
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
the beached 3000 Mk11 of Bill Rawles
Nothing changes !!
Old 11 Jul 2006, 00:00 (Ref:1653046)   #15
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
the Half Hour Enduro:-
Half an hour!! I spend longer in the toilet. Great pics though. Any more of the Healeys? Specifically a dark blue 3000 with a silver roof.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 14:41 (Ref:1653528)   #16
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by goforit500
Hi John,

You didn't happen to grab any shots of the Yellow Ultima playing out, did you ??

I drove the 1st stint in the enduro & had a whale of a time with Phil Bennet in the DB !!

Cheers,

brian
Might have done! All will come to he who waits ..... or something!
Old 11 Jul 2006, 14:46 (Ref:1653530)   #17
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Diff
Half an hour!! I spend longer in the toilet. Great pics though. Any more of the Healeys? Specifically a dark blue 3000 with a silver roof.
Erm ..... too much info. in the first part! I'll have a look for that Healey!
Old 11 Jul 2006, 15:19 (Ref:1653571)   #18
goforit500
Veteran

Half an hour was plenty in that heat, believe me !!

Look forward to seeing the snaps JT....

And a public thanks to Bob for sending me a few (Excellent) shots as well !!
Old 11 Jul 2006, 16:16 (Ref:1653638)   #19
brands
Veteran

Sorry for the delay, this has been a busy month in my motorsport calander.

The first time around Brooklands for the Healeys
http://images.fotopic.net/yijqe4.jpg

A great race long battle between the Frogeye Spirte of Christain Andrew and David Smithies 3000, with the Frogeye winning in the end.
http://images.fotopic.net/yijqei.jpg

and Robert Rawe, as John said, having troubles turning in.
http://images.fotopic.net/yijqen.jpg

Adrian Beecroft in the DBR1
http://images.fotopic.net/yijq42.jpg

and a lovely Alfa Romeo Giulia that finished in 7th in the 50s Sport car challenge
http://images.fotopic.net/yijq94.jpg
Old 11 Jul 2006, 17:28 (Ref:1653693)   #20
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Great stuff! Love the eyes on the Frogeye! And, how many Healeys can you get into Brooklands without contact!

A couple more from Race 4:-

Feltham Astons. Kerry Wilson's DB2/4 Mk1, Graham Barker's DB2/4 Mk11 and Timothy Stamper's DB2/4 Mk1:-

David Taylor's Speed Model:-

Race 5 was for the Intermarque Championship. Let's face it, Brian Robinson and his 1994 Porsche 993RS have been the quickest driver/car combination in this championship this year but he always manages to have a battle on his hands before winning. At Brands it had been the DB4 of Michael Mallock, at Snetterton, the DB4 of Charlie Kemp, and here it was Arthur*Thurtle (who seems to have forsaken his V8 Aston) in his very quick Camaro. For several laps these cars were tied together but Robinson had edged to the front by the time Thurtle retired. At the finish, behind Robinson came ...... Mallock and Kemp!:-

The other Camaro in the race was that of Alec Hammond, who finished 6th:-

Last edited by John Turner; 19 Jul 2006 at 08:54. Reason: *Arthur has since advised that it was his son 'Boysie' who was driving, and that he pitted with an overheating engine. It was cured for the Heritage GT race at Snetterton, 15/16 July
Old 12 Jul 2006, 19:35 (Ref:1654764)   #21
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Ome more from Race 5. Paul Livesey' very noisy (and that's not a complaint!) Porshe 944 Turbo which finished 5th, Les Goble, hard charging again in the Aston V8, who finished 4th, and Alec Hammond.:-

Since they are not yet historic, I'll show just one pic from Race 6, The AMOC Yokohama Mid engined series, won, however, by the brothers Thompson, Neil and Ian, in their Invitation Caterhams! Here a typical group; Tony Doe in Lotus Exige, and, according to the programme no 57 is a Shelsley T2, which it assuredly isn't, and looks like a Noble to me, followed by Russell Treasure's Exige:-

Race 7 was the AMOC 50s Sports Car Team Challenge. In this there were no less than 3 teams of AC Aces. Here are Nigel Winchester and Andy Shepherd, both in Ace Bristols but in different teams:-

Our new member, Chris Adams brought the DB2 into a fine 2nd place overall, behind the Ace Zephyr of Tony Hill:-

I will post a few more pics but it won't be for a few days, I'm afraid.

Last edited by John Turner; 19 Jul 2006 at 08:56.
Old 19 Jul 2006, 08:00 (Ref:1659756)   #22
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
The Alfa Guilietta SZ of Nick Savage, with James Wiseman's similar car in the background; between them, Timothy Stamper's Aston DB2/4 MkI:-

A Team of One! The Healey Hound's sole representative was Chris Clegg's pretty Sebring Sprite, followed here by Nicholas Ruddell's Aston Martin DB2/4 MkIII:-

Race 8, the Half Hour Invitation Enduro with driver changes pitted historics against moderns epitomised by the battle here between the Nicholas King/Phil Bennett DB4 and the Glyn Coxon/Brian O'Conner Ultima GTR:-

Old 19 Jul 2006, 08:37 (Ref:1659780)   #23
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
An unusual sight on a racing circuit; the Lotus Eclat of Daniel Jarvis

That pretty much concludes my pictorial coverage of this meeting. Slippy Diff, I have not found any pictures of a dark blue big Healey with a silver roof, nor found any reference to this colour combination in the programme. If you can identify the driver(s) and/or competition number, I'll check it out again!
Old 19 Jul 2006, 09:20 (Ref:1659811)   #24
goforit500
Veteran

Thanks for all the photos John !! Please look us up at the next meetings so I can thank you personally!!
Old 20 Jul 2006, 02:51 (Ref:1660453)   #25
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Slippy Diff, I have not found any pictures of a dark blue big Healey with a silver roof, nor found any reference to this colour combination in the programme. If you can identify the driver(s) and/or competition number, I'll check it out again!
Thanks for looking. I'm not sure if it is or has been out recently. I sold it in early 2003 and I gather that it has since been sold on again. I heard a rumour that a mate of Whizzo's had bought it.