Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 27 Oct 2003, 12:11 (Ref:764460)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Motorsport Events

So go on then.

Tell us about the motorsport events you've attended this year and why. Were you competing, spectating or working? What was special about it (them) and what could be done to improve (if at all). And of all that you attended which one was the best?
Old 27 Oct 2003, 12:58 (Ref:764498)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I realised the other day that apart from Le Mans I hadn't been to an event just to spectate this year There were a few events I really wanted to go to, but were always at another circuit or when it came down to it grateful for the weekend off.

So events attended:
Racing:
1. Silverstone Sunbac 15 Mar
2. Silverstone MGCC 5 Apr
3. Spa Royal 3/4 May
4. Oulton MGCC 10 May
5. Rokcingham MGCC 24 may
6. Lydden BARC 31 May
7. Croft BRSCC 28/29 June
8. Donington ? 3 Aug
9. Snetterton BRSCC 24 Aug
10. Brands MGCC 4 Oct

Spectating:
Le Mans 14/15 June.

Top three:
1. Spa. Wow. Long race, fun fun fun.
2. Rockingham. Class Pole. Spin avoiding another spinner. Dropped to last - fought back to win. Best race.
3. Brands. Prost-esque race to claim the championship. only race we did with all the trimmings too (hotel! pit garage!) easy class pole followed by a drive that was well within myself to claim 2nd in class (not a single lock up, or other small mistake) and a great overtake into Paddock!

Worst:
1. Snetterton. Complete brake failure at 100mph! Not enjoyable.

Improvements. Most of the major improvements are down to things I/we did, so no complaints really. I suppose the ACO could bother to send us some tickets next time

So 11 events. That is less than 1 a month! I don't know what my wife complains about.

Last edited by Adam43; 27 Oct 2003 at 13:00.
Old 27 Oct 2003, 14:49 (Ref:764614)   #3
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just realised that I have only spent one day at a motorsport event this year,and that was the Autosport International live action! Whereas around 1972 I think I counted 46 days spent at race circuits.Reason for the decline mainly circuits are spectator unfriendly and the amount of action on TV nowdays.

Last edited by Rob29; 27 Oct 2003 at 14:51.
Old 27 Oct 2003, 18:00 (Ref:764810)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
this year i've done an awful lot less than last year, mainly because the idiots who organise the serieseseseses can't organise f3 one weekend and touring cars the other.

9 touring car meetings and about 5 f3 meetings, plus the fford festival and way too many frenault test days i suppose is about the size of it. the touring car meetings i usually stay at for about 3 days so i don't know if they count seperately...
Old 27 Oct 2003, 18:04 (Ref:764816)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
And I don't think I've seen you all this year, Bella, you avoiding me like the other ******s?
Old 27 Oct 2003, 18:10 (Ref:764823)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
not in the slightest craig, it's been a case of wrong end of the paddock i think. you don't like them spindly things and i prefer not to watch small vans racing each other
Old 27 Oct 2003, 18:14 (Ref:764828)   #7
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
hehe I was only messin

Actually I think I did see you at Donny with Wayne
Old 27 Oct 2003, 18:26 (Ref:764851)   #8
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I only spectate so I have to only 2 words to say Le Mans.

But some other highlights, from the 2 Rallies, 8 BTCC Rounds, 3 F3/GT, Formula Ford and Renault Festival's + 1 or 2 other bits and bobs, where BTCC at Snetterton and Bentley Drivers Club at Silverstone (thanks for the tip Tim)...........

Last edited by rdjones; 27 Oct 2003 at 18:29.
Old 27 Oct 2003, 19:14 (Ref:764916)   #9
Sherman
Racer

Sherman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alas, I have only made three meetings this year. The CART/BTCC at Brands, the F1 at Silverstone, and the DTM at Donington. Still, not a bad effort i think, considering ive spent a large amount of this year in other countries! Next year will be better.....hopefully....!
Old 27 Oct 2003, 20:16 (Ref:764983)   #10
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Champ cars at Brands. And that's it

I used to go to Brands with my dad when i was little for the Tourers every other month.

I can't afford to get myself to Brands or anywhere (besides Brands, how the hell do you get there without a car?)

My dad will only take me to events that he's interested in seeing. Frankly i'd go to anything just to be there!
Old 27 Oct 2003, 21:29 (Ref:765054)   #11
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
So 11 events. That is less than 1 a month! I don't know what my wife complains about.
Adam!! you forgot the most important event that you attended this year.....

The Dayz of Funder Charity Track Day at Three Sisters and I really enjoyed going for a spin with you.

Last edited by KayBee; 27 Oct 2003 at 21:30.
Old 27 Oct 2003, 22:21 (Ref:765128)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
ooops.

That was a great event too. Great fun. I can't believe I'd missed it off the list because I had already done the list for a Jaguar website in which I put on a photo from every event we attended http://www.jag-lovers.com/snaps/snap...?id=1066942635

Although even in that I see I didn't use the best picture. I should have used this one.

Last edited by Adam43; 27 Oct 2003 at 22:21.
Old 27 Oct 2003, 22:30 (Ref:765142)   #13
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
hmmm...countless events at silverstone from clubbie events to the touring cars and BSB, 750MC at Brands and mallory, Champ Cars - Brands, BGP, Le Mans and a couple of rallies.

And the best...well it can only be Le Mans, i can't wait to go back!!
Old 28 Oct 2003, 07:08 (Ref:765406)   #14
coln72
Racer

coln72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
officialing
- Targa Tasmania
- Winter Classic Rally
- Tumbridge Trial
- Safari Tasmania (coming up)

Competing
- club motorkhanas and such
Old 28 Oct 2003, 07:51 (Ref:765434)   #15
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just one event I'm afraid - the Phillip Island Moto-GP round just been...

We went west in a group of seventeen bikes, ranging from three ST Ducati's to an MV Augusta (sounded horn with after market pipes) a 748R that needed to lean against poles (due to a broken side stand), a couple of Yamaha Fazers (great motor but a little bit too sit up and beg for me), a R1100S (the sleeper of the group - but just wait to the chips are down), a 900 Daytona, a couple of Speed Tripples (955i's), a 1000SS Ducati Twin Spark and three CBR 600's.

We had the opportunity to open things up over 850 klm days in the saddle.

Absolutely the best riding I have seen/done in many a year. My highlight the tight up hill sweepers through a pine forrest in northern Victoria. Second and third gear, on and off the throttle, shooting for the apex.

The low light? Doing Mount Hotham in the rain and the fog with the snow lying around everywhere. Closely followed by standing in the freezing rain for the 125's. The howling wind for the 250's and the sun for the four strokes.

Another high point the red leather clad Honda girls!!!!!!
It's true, it seems you do meet the nicest people on a Honda.

It doesn't get much better than that.
Old 28 Oct 2003, 13:25 (Ref:765708)   #16
F3lollipops
Racer

United Kingdom
Lollipop Land
F3lollipops should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This year I've been to every single British F3 meeting, Pau Grand Prix, DTM Donington, ETCC & FRen V6 Donington, the TOCA meetings that didn't clash with F3 (can't help loving FFord) and I'm off to Macau next week

I'm sure that there have been others, but I've been asleep since then!
Old 28 Oct 2003, 13:27 (Ref:765709)   #17
F3lollipops
Racer

United Kingdom
Lollipop Land
F3lollipops should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course! Now I remember where else I went...

The Festival!
Old 29 Oct 2003, 13:27 (Ref:766932)   #18
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Marshalled at Thruxton, Donington, Oulton, Loton, Mallory, Snetterton, Curborough for several days at most of them. Also a dozen rallies, mainly in Wales.

Best meeting for me was the F3/GT at Thruxton. The F3s were racing and overtaking. Caterhams were superb. That meeting made me realise that I was getting a bit jaded by circuits but reminded me what it can be like at the best.

Looking forward to going to Korea for the F3 race there next month.

Jim
Old 29 Oct 2003, 13:42 (Ref:766949)   #19
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
all the things on here http://paulsands.org/msport.htm (cos I'm too lazy to list them again) plus
Donington DTM, British GP Friday, Donington F3/BTCC where I didn't have functioning digital cameras (ok so for the BTCC/F3 I took the wrong lenses)..all events as spectator but since Oulton Gold Cup mostly now with press access.
32 events so far this year by my reckoning...not bad at all
Best beyond a doubt was the Six Hours of Spa worst I'd say was the F3 opener at Donington but only cos I was miserably cold and my little girl struggled to crack a smile all day
Old 29 Oct 2003, 14:21 (Ref:766991)   #20
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Every SEMSEC round (except Pembrey and Silverstone).
Rallycross at Lydden (3 times).
DTM at Donington.
Autosprout show at the NEC.
Kent stages rally.

Failed to get to any BTCC (variously skint, working and broken car).

More rallycross to come (Brands in a couple of weeks).
Possibly britcar this weekend (to be decided).

Next year the plan is:
All SEMSEC rounds (supporting Bill, Ron, Allan, Lee and Mary - the pack of minis dicing with the cossies).
DTM at Donington (assuming they come back).
Rallycross at Lydden (every time it's there), Brands and possibly Blyton).
BTCC at Brands (if it doesn't clash this year) and at least one other round (probably Donington).
SCV8 - has to be worth a look to see what all the fuss is about.

All that assumes that those weekends are free - with any luck we'll have finished our rally car by then and will hit the stages ourselves at somepoint next year (but we said that last year!)

Last edited by BertMk2; 29 Oct 2003 at 14:22.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 15:32 (Ref:767044)   #21
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DTM arent coming back
Old 30 Oct 2003, 07:58 (Ref:767800)   #22
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1. Mar 28-30 - Morgan Park, State Championships - Competing & commentating.

2. May 3-4 - Qld Raceway, State Championships - Crewing & commentating.

3. May 17-18 - Morgan Park, Historics - Competing.

4. June - Qld Raceway, PROCAR - Spectating.

5. July 18-20 - Qld Raceway, V8 Qld 300 - Competing & Spectating.

6. July 26-27 - Qld Raceway, Historics - Competing & commentating.

7. August 8-10 - Morgan Park, State Championships - Crewing & commentating.

8. August 29-31 - Oran Park, ImProd Nationals- Spectating & commentating.

9. Sept 27-28 - Morgan Park, State Championships - Crewing & commentating.

10. Oct 8-12 - Bathurst 1000 - Competing & Spectating.

11. Nov 29-30 - Qld Raceway, State Championships - Competing & commentating.

A pretty full year I'd reckon.
Old 30 Oct 2003, 12:58 (Ref:768031)   #23
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lost count of the number of days but roughly started in March at Mallory for 750MC, did several other meetings at Donington and Mallory for BARC (Chief Pits)BRSCC (Pit Marshal) and 750MC (Chief Pits), Deputy Clerk of the Course at Curborough, Course Controller at Curborough and the best bit - shadowed the Clerks of the Course at the DTM meeting. That was brilliant! I spent all three days in Race Control, attended disciplinary interviews, learned how to do the paperwork, ran errands, etc., etc.

Still got 2 days left - Mallory this Sunday and the Truck Meeting at Donington the week after. Then it's time to do the housework!

This year, we tried to give ourselves one weekend in four off, next year might try to have alternate weekends off.
Old 30 Oct 2003, 14:54 (Ref:768141)   #24
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Racing
1. Brands 30th March Barc
2. Brands 13th April 750mc 2 races
3. Snetterton 26/27 April 750mc
4. Lydden BARC 31 May
5. Croft BRSCC 28/29 June 2 races
6. Donington 2/3 Aug Classic sports car club 2 races
7. Snetterton BRSCC 24 Aug
8 Lydden Barc 2 races
9. Brands MGCC 5th Oct
10. Silverstone Stowe October 12 Barc 2races
11. Snetterton 19th October 750mc

Spectating
Old 30 Oct 2003, 18:17 (Ref:768318)   #25
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
working as photographer
All BTCC meetings (inc Mondello and CART @ Brands)
FIA GT/ETCC @ Donington
DTM @ Donington
F Saloons @ Brands
F3/GT/SEAT @ Brands

spectating (but still taking pics)
SUNBAC @ Silverstone
BRSCC @ Mallory/Silverstone/Coombe/Oulton
F3/GT/SEAT @ Rockingham
F Saloons @ Donington
2CV 24hrs @ Snetterton
Bentley DC @ Silverstone
750MC @ Mallory
Robin Hood Rally
Rally of the Midlands
Tempest Rally

still to come
Santa Pod
autograss
Trucks @ Donington
Rallycross @ Brands

Difficult to pick a 'best', they all start to blur into one. Bentley Driver's Club meet at Silverstone was good simply because it was not the sort of thing I would normally go to. Away from the tracks the Robin Hood Stages was a definate highlight - big enough to attract a good field but small enough that you could still get as close to the action as you wanted.

Still haven't managed a superbike meeting yet, that's got to stay on the to do list for another year.