Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 20 Aug 2015, 06:06 (Ref:3567130)   #6176
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobec View Post
Is Porsche withing to a mid-engine car in GTE? Something to do with the rumored 960?
I have had it confirmed by a good source that a mid-engine GTE car is being prepared for 2017.
Old 20 Aug 2015, 19:09 (Ref:3567314)   #6177
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
It seems that the HD package to be raced by Porsche for the remainder of the season will exhibit some visually noticeable changes compared to the LD package that has been raced so far. "80% of the bodywork parts are new" according to Enzinger.
Old 21 Aug 2015, 03:28 (Ref:3567397)   #6178
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Over 1900km covered, seems like a productive test done. No pics though
Old 21 Aug 2015, 17:51 (Ref:3567540)   #6179
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
According to Porsche insider, in post LM period "no-one cares about the individual races" except winning the championship
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2015/0...rburgring.html
Old 27 Aug 2015, 08:40 (Ref:3569105)   #6180
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Porsche's LMP1 programme will continue at least until (and including) 2018.

http://newsroom.porsche.com/en/motor...mp1-11343.html
Old 27 Aug 2015, 09:49 (Ref:3569116)   #6181
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Porsche's LMP1 programme will continue at least until (and including) 2018.

http://newsroom.porsche.com/en/motor...mp1-11343.html
Interesting year, but less than Toyota's (til 2017). I guess shows boardrooms do not look at the regulation cycles as much as is always believed.
Old 27 Aug 2015, 11:28 (Ref:3569133)   #6182
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, they can always pull out a year short if regulations go further south, although I'm quite sure they have a pretty good idea of what the regs will look like . If I recall correctly , they are already working on the 2017 car. (albeit at a very basic stage)
Old 27 Aug 2015, 14:28 (Ref:3569166)   #6183
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As you mentioned Spyder, Porsche confirmed development on the 2017 car back in June. With this commitment until 2018 I believe it's a safe assumption that manufacturers have a pretty good idea of the new regs and that Porsche finds them to be agreeable at the least.
Old 27 Aug 2015, 15:01 (Ref:3569172)   #6184
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRuss View Post
As you mentioned Spyder, Porsche confirmed development on the 2017 car back in June. With this commitment until 2018 I believe it's a safe assumption that manufacturers have a pretty good idea of the new regs and that Porsche finds them to be agreeable at the least.
I would also say part of the commitment to commit to going beyond the life of the current regulations is to ensure a seat at the table with respect to any discussions around the future regulations.

Richard
Old 27 Aug 2015, 15:22 (Ref:3569176)   #6185
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I would also say part of the commitment to commit to going beyond the life of the current regulations is to ensure a seat at the table with respect to any discussions around the future regulations.

Richard
Getting the seat is not that hard for a major manufacture, we know this as there has been manufactures involved with future regulations who never entered the show.
However getting your voice heard is a different matter, unless you have an official commitment out.
Old 27 Aug 2015, 16:16 (Ref:3569189)   #6186
bobec
Racer

bobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
I have had it confirmed by a good source that a mid-engine GTE car is being prepared for 2017.
Any more info on that? Is it related to the upcoming 960?

It's such a shame the regulations made it so difficult for the awesome 991 RSR. I don't understand why.
Old 27 Aug 2015, 17:23 (Ref:3569208)   #6187
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobec View Post
Any more info on that? Is it related to the upcoming 960?

It's such a shame the regulations made it so difficult for the awesome 991 RSR. I don't understand why.
Unfortunately I have no further news on this. My source confirmed the rumor that I first heard on RLM but said that he was not free to discuss further.
Old 27 Aug 2015, 17:58 (Ref:3569219)   #6188
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
LDF Nose:
Old 27 Aug 2015, 19:04 (Ref:3569234)   #6189
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Also- Shark gills are back!
Old 27 Aug 2015, 19:06 (Ref:3569235)   #6190
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
... if regulations go further south, ...

Further south? Can they get any worse?

Good decent planning. A lot was made of building up the team and they seem committed to keeping that team.
Old 27 Aug 2015, 20:23 (Ref:3569245)   #6191
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These regulations are more free than they have been in any form or series for more than 20 years. I believe we will continue see the freedom of technology to advance the automobile. That said the ACO know exactly how fast they are willing to let these cars go. So if they trim wings or whatever I'm not too bothered by that as long as we continue see new things and variety in the areas of power train technology. I guess what I'm saying is that I will take what I can get. Especially after the last 20+ years. I'm glad to see Porsche seem to agree.
Old 28 Aug 2015, 00:21 (Ref:3569279)   #6192
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Forget exhaust blow diffusers, this looks like exhaust blown bodywork!

Take a look at the fender holes btw.

Last edited by TF110; 28 Aug 2015 at 00:48. Reason: Image fix
Old 28 Aug 2015, 02:44 (Ref:3569292)   #6193
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post

Richard
Some curious names have been in the manufacturers talks (especially in the very first ones about 2014 regs), so I don't think that is so important and really, who believes ACO would ignore a currently involved manufacturer whether they're officially commited or not. I think this is most important for ACO... when they go talk to circuits etc, then can guarantee that they'll have the same or better show in couple of years too.
Old 28 Aug 2015, 05:19 (Ref:3569300)   #6194
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Forget exhaust blow diffusers, this looks like exhaust blown bodywork!

Take a look at the fender holes btw.
To my eyes it looks mega weird, but as long as it works well, I love it.
Old 28 Aug 2015, 10:13 (Ref:3569323)   #6195
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Not sure how the Porsche rear bodywork is, "...Smooth and continuous." Will be interesting to hear their justification as it seems in violation of 3.4.1, c/.

All bodywork behind the rear axle centreline and more than
200mm above the reference plane must form a smooth,
continuous, unbroken surface without cuts, and be visible
from above the car with the rear wing removed.

Audi had the shuttered bodywork on the rear of the original R15 and had to change it. I also wonder the cross section of that upper element. A wing? Art 3.6.1 limits wings to the front wing and the rear wing only, and this doesn't seem to fall within the definition of a non-wing wing as described by the ACO, also within 3.6.1. Certainly need more pictures though.
Old 28 Aug 2015, 14:31 (Ref:3569374)   #6196
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
Not sure how the Porsche rear bodywork is, "...Smooth and continuous." Will be interesting to hear their justification as it seems in violation of 3.4.1, c/.

All bodywork behind the rear axle centreline and more than
200mm above the reference plane must form a smooth,
continuous, unbroken surface without cuts, and be visible
from above the car with the rear wing removed.

Audi had the shuttered bodywork on the rear of the original R15 and had to change it. I also wonder the cross section of that upper element. A wing? Art 3.6.1 limits wings to the front wing and the rear wing only, and this doesn't seem to fall within the definition of a non-wing wing as described by the ACO, also within 3.6.1. Certainly need more pictures though.
I am trying to think outside of the box (Porsche clearly has). My speculation is...

Art 3.4.1 has an exclusion...

"This article is not applicable to openings described in Article 3.4.6"

3.4.6 describes the wheel arch cut-outs. I haven't looked yet to see what defines a "wheel arch" or if that is boxed into a specific area, but I wonder if the area directly behind the exhaust is being argued as being part of the "wheel arch" and that the opening into that area is a continuation of the cut-out in the arch (using Rear wheel option #2 which is a side and not top cut-out).

I have not studied the regulation on the cut-outs in depth, but they talk to minimum sizes. I wonder if they have a cut-out that if viewed from the side (parallel to the front to rear axis) meets the minimum size in the regulation (and the spirit of the rules) but then extend it around the corner as a much larger overall cut-out into that new section that likely is some type of blown bodywork (er.. ahem... "wheel arch" )

More photos would help to show if that arch cut-out extends into the new area as I hypothesize. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Maybe this is a "well played" moment for Porsche.

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 28 Aug 2015 at 14:39. Reason: spelling
Old 28 Aug 2015, 16:43 (Ref:3569405)   #6197
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
A few additional shots thanks to Endurance-Info.com:

It looks like Porsche are exploiting the provisions pertaining to the mandatory rear fender holes to create these interruptions in the rear bodywork section.
Old 28 Aug 2015, 17:05 (Ref:3569409)   #6198
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks awesome, from the rear each part of the trailing edge shows a small light gap, I thought it had to be fixed. Seems like it's adjustable.
Old 28 Aug 2015, 17:09 (Ref:3569412)   #6199
TRuss
Veteran

I've really enjoyed watching the manufacturers taking liberties with the technical regs these past couple of years.
Old 28 Aug 2015, 21:11 (Ref:3569472)   #6200
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Wow. It looks as outside of the rules as can be but boy does it look cool!

Do you think they were thinking that no one was going to notice?