Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 12 Aug 2012, 10:42 (Ref:3118925)   #251
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
The Penske/Ganassi comment should be relatively clear, but I will attempt to clarify it. Along with Andretti, these owners are to my mind the tail that wags the dog in the series. Nothing happens without getting them on board. That usually means that the change will at worst be revenue neutral to them and preferrably revenue positive. None of them have any ties that I know of with Mazda.

Free the Penske Brothers.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 18:22 (Ref:3119037)   #252
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
^^^
The Chipster is a principle in Delta Wing.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 18:26 (Ref:3119039)   #253
HJJ
Veteran

United States
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
It's funny how you and others do the rolleyes bit but you have no other information to lay out your case to counter that.

The reason they are *****ing about the DW-12 is the fact that they should consider the Delta Wing. Most of the same reasons ChampCar went with the DP-01.

And I'm sure I know more about the subject matter than you do.
Old 13 Aug 2012, 03:34 (Ref:3119169)   #254
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
More information on the Penske break in and rampage from the local paper:

http://www.ack.net/PenskeBreakIn080912.html

There is one nugget in there I will leave you to find on your own. Jay Penske yelled it to the woman while he was being arrested.
Old 13 Aug 2012, 03:46 (Ref:3119170)   #255
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post

The reason they are *****ing about the DW-12 is the fact that they should consider the Delta Wing. Most of the same reasons ChampCar went with the DP-01.

And I'm sure I know more about the subject matter than you do.
If you do know more, I always want to know more, so I am open to being educated. Let it rip.

The irl is going to choose the most financially advantageous chassis for them for indy lights just as they did 2 years ago. In addition you've got $6 million dollars in Indiana taxpayer funds tied up in that dallara facility that was supposed to provide 80 jobs and instead it's more like 10 low paying jobs opening boxes from Italy and selling coffee to 2 people a day. They better start justifying that soon or people are going to start asking questions about that whole deal, if they have not done so already.

They run the show, not the team owners and the team owners get what they get. What they should do or what they could do based on what fans or team owners want doesn't come into play. I would figure that since this has been going on since 1995 and before people would figure that out and stop trying to be rational, because the people at the speedway are in their own little world and what is common sense rational behavior to us, is not to them.

Do you really think after rejecting Delta Wing for the main series they are going to allow it to be the new indy light car?
Old 13 Aug 2012, 11:52 (Ref:3119299)   #256
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

There is one nugget in there I will leave you to find on your own. Jay Penske yelled it to the woman while he was being arrested.
Oh wow.
Old 13 Aug 2012, 12:19 (Ref:3119305)   #257
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I am breathlessly awaiting the standard statement from the Penske Brothers detailing their sorrow for this one-time lapse in judgment and sorrow for any misunderstanding.

Left unexplained is how anyone could misunderstand urinating on a car/person, hitting them in the face with a cell phone, yelling absurd statements and trying to break into an apartment while fleeing the scene.

I am sure that these fine young men have never ever, no not once done any of these things before. It is almost a shame they weren't driving as I don't suppose anyone got their blood alcohol level...

Free The Penske Brothers!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 13 Aug 2012, 12:37 (Ref:3119317)   #258
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!

"These guys thought they owned the place, the only thing they own is a one way ticket - to JAAAAAIL."
Old 13 Aug 2012, 15:38 (Ref:3119374)   #259
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC View Post
Mazda is made in the US?
http://www.starmazda.com/series/specifications.htm

Quote:
Further, Mazda is all about the grassroots enjoyment of their cars. They have positioned themselves very well (imho) as the manufacturer of cars that are fun to drive on the road and competitively. There is no real connection (again, imho) or gain in Mazda having any involvement with the "top rung" of open wheel racing here in America. Their bread & butter is with the grassroot car enthusiasts. Further, I don't believe Mazda moves enough untits to be considered a big enugh player to be able to take the step from a financial basis.
This is exactly how Reynard started in the UK in FF1600 and they were able to expand their car production to include FF2000, then F3, F3000 and eventually CART/Champ Car.

Quote:
Besides, Penske and Ganassi have no affiliation with Mazda. Having nothing to gain there will be no impetus for them to et Mazda involved
Neither have they any affiliation with Dallara, it just so happens to be the chassis the Iconic committee chose. If Lola or Swift had been chosen the same would apply.
Old 13 Aug 2012, 15:42 (Ref:3119376)   #260
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

'you're not white enough', what's that supposed to mean?
Old 13 Aug 2012, 16:27 (Ref:3119398)   #261
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Maybe the Penske pair were on an acid trip?

I hope Bourdais isn't hammered by this. Maybe the old man will do the honourable thing; replace Briscoe with Bourdais for '13.
Old 13 Aug 2012, 21:19 (Ref:3119524)   #262
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Maybe the Penske pair were on an acid trip?

I hope Bourdais isn't hammered by this. Maybe the old man will do the honourable thing; replace Briscoe with Bourdais for '13.
That would be interesting but with three races to go I think he'll let Briscoe see out the rest of the season.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 01:43 (Ref:3119583)   #263
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
I would ask Jay, he said it. But I can take a guess.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 02:04 (Ref:3119588)   #264
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This is exactly how Reynard started in the UK in FF1600 and they were able to expand their car production to include FF2000, then F3, F3000 and eventually CART/Champ Car.
But Reynard was a dedicated chassis builder. Mazda is a niche automaker who could fail with the tiniest of errors, or any move away from their base. None of their cars has big horsepower from the lot, and you'll never see one like that. That's why club racing and lower formulae suit them. Only way they'll see anything above Star Mazda is in the back of a Delta Wing, and that ain't happening ever.

Quote:
Really? It's a socio-economic and blatantly racist slap in the face. Couple that with the fact that he used a woman as a toilet and I'm left wondering why we still have not heard about TrueCar going elsewhere. Actually I'm not. That program was farcical at best from inception.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 03:15 (Ref:3119608)   #265
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
But Reynard was a dedicated chassis builder. Mazda is a niche automaker who could fail with the tiniest of errors, or any move away from their base. None of their cars has big horsepower from the lot, and you'll never see one like that. That's why club racing and lower formulae suit them. Only way they'll see anything above Star Mazda is in the back of a Delta Wing, and that ain't happening ever.

Really? It's a socio-economic and blatantly racist slap in the face. Couple that with the fact that he used a woman as a toilet and I'm left wondering why we still have not heard about TrueCar going elsewhere. Actually I'm not. That program was farcical at best from inception.
I think what people often forget is that car manufacturers are in business to sell road cars. I guess a lot of people think that racing comes first and there should be a lot of money thrown at it.

If you get inside car manufacturers, any motorsports program is high visibility in the company and there are always departments who want that money that gets allocated to motorsports and get it sent to them for their needs. You will always find people who support it and some that do not and sometimes the do not crowd wins. Or sometimes the dealers support it over the manufacturers, so the manufacturer continues support.

Ultimately it all comes down to the cost in comparison to the benefit and when the benefit isn't there for the cost, the program gets cancelled, changed, reevaluated, etc.

In regards to the Penske brothers, I have seen much drunken behavior in my life, even beyond this, but these guys are not 20 year old goofballs with no responsibilities. When you hold a public position or are involved with something that interacts with the public or represents an organization/business, you have to have a modicum of professionalism at all times, unless you want negative consequences. Penske has fired people for much, much, much less.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 11:35 (Ref:3119768)   #266
HJJ
Veteran

United States
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor...KOEb8Y.twitter
Old 14 Aug 2012, 11:44 (Ref:3119772)   #267
mythoughtsareracing
Racer

United States
Houston Area
mythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This isn't particularly new.
The owners have been complaining about higher parts costs for some time.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 12:33 (Ref:3119785)   #268
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Quote:
I would ask Jay, he said it. But I can take a guess.
MS, I did not realize that the quote would be that hard to decipher! Seemed pretty obvious to me, anyways....
Old 14 Aug 2012, 12:39 (Ref:3119789)   #269
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
ptclaus98 hit the nail on the head vis a vis Mazda's entry into the top rung. Mazda's "business" is manufacturing road cars. Reynard's business was manufacturing racing cars. Just like other manufacturers of racing cars, they will build cars if their customers ask for them or if they perceive an opportunity in a new series or formula.

Comparing Reynard to Mazda is not an apples-to-apples comparison.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 14:40 (Ref:3119825)   #270
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
True but Mazda have branched out and have built a dedicated chassis under the name of Star Race Cars. Obviously it's up to them if they wish to produce a chassis that can race in other formulae. I used Reynard as an example of it being possible, though I'm sure one reason for Mazda's involvement is to show that a rotary engine can be used effectively in racing as opposed to a conventional engine.

Quote:
I thought the woman in question was white but maybe not white enough, in Jay Penske's eyes, for a toilet bowl or urinal?
Old 14 Aug 2012, 21:00 (Ref:3119969)   #271
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
I really don't think that Star Race Cars (the group that builds/built Star Mazdas) would be able to easily move towards constructing an IndyCar chassis. Further, so far as I can tell this is an independent company contracted to build Star Mazdas. It is not owned or operated by Mazda. In fact, other than the name and the engine, I really don't see any direct involvement by Mazda in the production of the vehicle.

I really believe that Mazda is as deep in the motorsports pool as they wish to go and that the natural progression for them would be to Grand Am/ALMS, similar to what they did in IMSA and later in endurance racing.
Old 14 Aug 2012, 21:09 (Ref:3119975)   #272
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I really don't think that Star Race Cars (the group that builds/built Star Mazdas) would be able to easily move towards constructing an IndyCar chassis. Further, so far as I can tell this is an independent company contracted to build Star Mazdas. It is not owned or operated by Mazda. In fact, other than the name and the engine, I really don't see any direct involvement by Mazda in the production of the vehicle.

I really believe that Mazda is as deep in the motorsports pool as they wish to go and that the natural progression for them would be to Grand Am/ALMS, similar to what they did in IMSA and later in endurance racing.
That's an interesting point. Though if Mazda really wanted to up their profile as a manufacturer/constructor I couldn't think of a better series than the BTCC.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Star Race Cars.
Old 15 Aug 2012, 00:40 (Ref:3120034)   #273
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Quote:
I really don't think that Star Race Cars (the group that builds/built Star Mazdas)
Star Mazda's are built at elan. The IMSA Lites (DP-02) are basically the same car with a different engine and body work.
Old 15 Aug 2012, 00:41 (Ref:3120036)   #274
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Interview with Rodeo Randy.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ard-interview/
Old 15 Aug 2012, 01:26 (Ref:3120050)   #275
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Star Mazda's are built at elan. The IMSA Lites (DP-02) are basically the same car with a different engine and body work.
I thought they were built by, Star Race Cars / 10639 Glenoaks Blvd, Pacoima, CA 91331 / (818) 686-3350.