Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Aug 2019, 08:23 (Ref:3922387)   #26
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We ran in this race in 2011 with my '68 TR5, being '68 it was in the Youngtimers category for the "Nurburgring Trophy" and was therefore allowed to run the Yokos on which it races in HSCC. It was the first 3.5 hours of the Marathon's 4 hours, we just pulled off half an hour before they finished.

That year the race was on combined GP and Nordschliefe, which worked well for us - subsequent years, when we would have entered again, the qualifying for the race was at the same time as Formula Junior quali ... which made it impossible.

Would be good if the race was back on.
Old 12 Aug 2019, 10:26 (Ref:3922402)   #27
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I think a tyre such as Yoko or Tokyo radial with 60% profile is OK on ‘Youngtimers’, but if more modern cars become eligible it could bring the question of whether slicks or ultra modern low profile radials should be allowed. Maybe on a unique circuit like the Nordschleife the extra cornering speeds possible wouldn’t be an issue?
Old 12 Aug 2019, 11:51 (Ref:3922416)   #28
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Just waiting for ferry so here is my report . After a P5 and P4 in Copenhagen it was back down to earth at the Nurburgring . P18 and P6 in class. 1st Race .,Good start and pulled away from cars that were around me .Then the Brabham we run pulled off while he was in the lead and I lost concentration and dropped a few places . Had some good dices to the finish line and finished where I started P18 and P5 in class. The Elva 300 went well and I was happy to get into the 12’s around the circuit . Sunday race was marred sadly as there was a five car pile up as a car dumped all its oil around the track . Safety car for 4 laps including going through pit lane . Some drivers got confused and stayed out on track they were all penalised 10 seconds . Two cars written off and I mean written off . Only luck that no one was injured . I managed to spin as well and lost about 10 places . The safety car pulled in and we had 3 laps racing . All very frustrating . Good news for the owner of the Elva iscthat there are 3 people wanting to buy the car . Hope I get a bit of commission . It’s been fun driving a drum brake car . Think thats it for FJ for me this year . Back to slicks and wings .
Old 13 Aug 2019, 07:19 (Ref:3922529)   #29
L-G Sjöberg
Racer

L-G Sjöberg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately Peter Knöfel injured his foot in the pile up. He was taken to hospital and was diagnosed with a broken bone in his foot. He came limping back later in the evening with orders to visit a hospital next day to get an ortopedic shoe.

As for my racing, the less said the better. Got a misfire early in the qualifying, which got worse to the extent that the car stopped when I tried to reach the parc femé. Checked timing and points and replaced plugs. In R1, the Engine stopped dead after half a lap. Thought afterwards that I might have turned the main switch off by mistake, since the car started after being towed back. R2, same as in qualifying. Managed to get through the pile up, but Knöfel who was right behind me hit Buhofer's car. At the end of next lap my engine would only idle. I have a feeling that it got too much fuel drenching the plugs, but I don't know.

At least I did not use up much fuel...
Old 14 Aug 2019, 09:49 (Ref:3922674)   #30
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
About the Marathon...

If you read the instruction given, it is open to DMSB HTP cars which are national cars and which would possibly go for general acceptance of national cars of other countries I presume and if so, possibly far away from anything FIA as I know the practices around Europe. Also, it will be considering cars up to 1996 included on invitation.

In my opinion this is the reason the Marathon won't be back, too large, too unrestricted. Whom would like to race against the likes of early 90s DTM machinery or BPR cars as well as 935s and 3.0RSR in a pre-66 car?

I wouldn't but I would be the first to actually put an entry if it looked a little more serious and consistent. Racing on the Ring is interesting but not against anything. I would prefer a simple coaching day for that, already dangerous enough.

It sounds more like a Gruppe H and Nürburgring Classic lookalike with all the funny stuff than the Marathon was...
Old 14 Aug 2019, 10:35 (Ref:3922680)   #31
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post
About the Marathon...

If you read the instruction given, it is open to DMSB HTP cars which are national cars and which would possibly go for general acceptance of national cars of other countries I presume and if so, possibly far away from anything FIA as I know the practices around Europe. Also, it will be considering cars up to 1996 included on invitation.

In my opinion this is the reason the Marathon won't be back, too large, too unrestricted. Whom would like to race against the likes of early 90s DTM machinery or BPR cars as well as 935s and 3.0RSR in a pre-66 car?

I wouldn't but I would be the first to actually put an entry if it looked a little more serious and consistent. Racing on the Ring is interesting but not against anything. I would prefer a simple coaching day for that, already dangerous enough.

It sounds more like a Gruppe H and Nürburgring Classic lookalike with all the funny stuff than the Marathon was...
Coaching day would have to a Trackday. TF is pointless😉
Old 15 Aug 2019, 18:16 (Ref:3922879)   #32
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Interested to find about a bit more about the car that came 2nd in Masters Gentleman Drivers race- the Ferrari 250 GTO 1964 or Series II.......

This car is only seen rarely in the UK, usually at Goodwood, but I’ve seen it win at Imola last year, and in the hands of Dutch Driver Nicky Pastorelli it is very quick! The interesting bit is that it isn’t an original GTO, having been built over many years from scratch, which could go some way to explaining how competitive it is......

Fantastic car, but I don’t think quite as pretty as the earlier cars. Story of it here....

https://petrolicious.com/articles/re...-gto-series-ii