Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 May 2019, 12:47 (Ref:3906954)   #26
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be interesting to see the entry for next weeks Dunlop Saloon Car Cup race at Donington next week .

Unfortunately since the beginning of May there have been high profile Historic meetings at Donington , Silverstone and Brands Hatch and with the Masters meeting at Donington next week as well the stuffing seems to have been knocked out of the MRL entries at Thruxton .
Old 30 May 2019, 12:50 (Ref:3906956)   #27
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think ne of the problems is the lack of testing.
Like for like its the fastest circuit in the country and you want a car that's well set up unless you like the countryside
Old 30 May 2019, 12:59 (Ref:3906958)   #28
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
That's a very disappointing entry for the MRL grids. Especially as they each have two 40 min races. I had hoped for better support for the event this year. Sad to see
What a shame, most of the main hardy supporters of the HTCC series have entered and good for them but as usual those who are only interested in showing off at big meetings aren't bothering. The entry is smaller than last year which is a worry. The entry was opened up to let the Sierra Cosworth and in yet they don't bother. Only 1 GrA & 1 Gr2 Rover but no Gr1 Rovers? There's loads of M3's out there yet not one entered?! Staggering.

Ok, I am aware of a few who might have entered are having to save the pennies this year but Thruxton is a legendary UK touring car venue and should get a full grid! it was a well attended by the public last year too.

It is more likely though that there are too many big hysteric meetings scheduled one week after the next through may and June. Competitors who own more than one car will have to choose where they go. People like John Spiers and Patrick Watts can run more than 1 type of car at Thruxton but people who normally do the Spa or Dijon events won't do Thruxton if it risks them having to miss the overseas events.

I mean why did the Masters organisers put on a Donington meeting the week after Thruxton and that has had races cancelled! The big Brands meeting has only just gone!

I don't think i've ever seen a U2TC entry as low as this. Ever.

The main organisers and clubs really need to consult with each other better in time for next year to avoid this sort of fixture pile up continuing.

Rant over!
Old 30 May 2019, 13:01 (Ref:3906959)   #29
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
There are test sessions tomorrow afternoon . Last year's HTCC races didn't have that much larger grids ( fifteen or sixteen from memory ) and still provided an entertaining spectacle .
Old 30 May 2019, 13:09 (Ref:3906960)   #30
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
There are test sessions tomorrow afternoon . Last year's HTCC races didn't have that much larger grids ( fifteen or sixteen from memory ) and still provided an entertaining spectacle .
Well, yes but last year should have had 20+! That's what I was told would happen...

Maybe a few late entries will materialise.

Donington Beg May
Silverstone Mid May
Brands End May is enough already over 4 weeks.

There should then be a good 4 week gap to the next biggish historic meeting in the UK let alone those Peter Auto events.

More effort should be made to get that lot to join up with a UK round.

Thruxton could have a later June slot leaving plenty of time before the Silverstone Classic.

Masters Donington always used to be later in the year, September?

That could follow nicely after the Oulton Gold Cup.

Then the HSCC finals in October rounds off a good year with decent prep/repair gaps in between the events.

HSCC Donington late March/early April
MRL Donington Fest Beg May
HSCC Silverstone Mid May
Brands end May
MRL Thruxton end of June
S'stone Classic end of July
Gold Cup end Aug
Masters Donington, mid-late Sept
Masters Combe Early Oct
HSCC finals mid-late Oct.

Chuck in a Mallory event somewhere and jobs a goodun
Not hard is it?!
Old 30 May 2019, 13:24 (Ref:3906961)   #31
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The entries make Peter Auto seem otherworldly.They get massive grids at there smaller rounds.3 weeks since Spa and they've still attracted good numbers at Dijon.
Old 30 May 2019, 13:42 (Ref:3906963)   #32
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It could be that even the well-heeled don't think they are getting value for money. Almost £1,200 entry fee for U2TC's 30 minute practice and two 40 minute races seems over the top to me.
At least with so few cars there may not be too many safety car/red flags to further reduce their track time.
Old 30 May 2019, 20:30 (Ref:3907046)   #33
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thruxton produces small grids at every meeting apart from the BTCC and the BSB.
Single figure grids are not uncommon there, not sure why but it's been this way for some time.

Last year had 151 cars running over the weekend, this year there are 184 on the entry lists.
Woodcote/S.Moss is one car down on last year, the HTCC/TDT are two less.

I will be wandering around the circuit taking the odd snap over the weekend but will make an early exit on Saturday evening before the U2TC race starts.

Last edited by brands; 30 May 2019 at 20:56. Reason: adding a bit
Old 30 May 2019, 20:32 (Ref:3907048)   #34
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Entry lists, looks more as they list two driver entries twice.

https://www.barc.net/wp-content/uplo...V1-WEBSITE.pdf
Old 30 May 2019, 20:39 (Ref:3907050)   #35
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember last year being a bit of an anti climax, particularly disappointing for me as I slept over in my van on the Saturday so this year I'll restrict my spectating to Sunday only. I should add that at 70+, I think my days of camping out have probably ended!
Old 30 May 2019, 21:04 (Ref:3907055)   #36
brands
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
I remember last year being a bit of an anti climax, particularly disappointing for me as I slept over in my van on the Saturday so this year I'll restrict my spectating to Sunday only. I should add that at 70+, I think my days of camping out have probably ended!
I'm sure a race or two were canned last year and so they ended up with one hour high speed track demos each day and finished before 6PM both days. Mind you, watching Karun Chandhok pushing in a Williams was a joy.
Old 31 May 2019, 06:45 (Ref:3907102)   #37
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
The Super Touring races were canned last year in what was a difficult season for that series . Ironically the rejuvenated Dunlop Saloon Car Cup may have impacted on the HTCC entry at Thruxton with a race next weekend at Donington .

The sight and sound of Karin Chandhok in the Williams was one to behold especially in the Friday afternoon test sessions , when he was sharing the track with sundry Formula Ford's etc . It must have been an experience for the Formula Ford drivers as well !
Old 31 May 2019, 11:14 (Ref:3907142)   #38
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
The Super Touring races were canned last year in what was a difficult season for that series . Ironically the rejuvenated Dunlop Saloon Car Cup may have impacted on the HTCC entry at Thruxton with a race next weekend at Donington .

The sight and sound of Karin Chandhok in the Williams was one to behold especially in the Friday afternoon test sessions , when he was sharing the track with sundry Formula Ford's etc . It must have been an experience for the Formula Ford drivers as well !
The HSCC Dunlop Cup is for the supertourers but bolstered with other cars. It's more like the Formula Saloons of old. It's only really the odd Sierra and M3 that ever ran with the ST's.

The older cars have always tended to run in their own (MRL) series except for the Classic.

I also think that the ever increasing prices of some of these older cars has started to deter owners from running them? There's more than enough of the m out there after all.
Old 31 May 2019, 11:36 (Ref:3907152)   #39
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I don’t want to harp on about PA HTC races, but they’ve got 43 cars entered for Dijon, and from memory had over 50 at Spa. Admit there’s only a few GpA entries next weekend, most being Gp2, but seems mainly the UK where it’s difficult to get the cars on track.....

Seems the Dunlop Saloon Car Cup that was I thought was intended for SuperTourer cars now relies on earlier saloons to bolster grids? But with regard to Thruxton, it’s stuck in the middle of a very busy period, and something’s got to give.....
Old 31 May 2019, 12:20 (Ref:3907160)   #40
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Doesn't Peter Auto draw their competitors from all over Europe ? This year at least MRL and Masters seem to be aimed mainly at UK competitors and circuits .

Dunlop Saloon Car Cup entry for Donington just published and shows fourteen entries with just three Super Tourers entered . Perhaps MRL and HSCC should look to merge their series rather than having two weak ones .
Old 31 May 2019, 12:44 (Ref:3907165)   #41
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm just wondering whether the creation of this event was maybe a step too far with so many competing series on the calendar at this time of year. Much as I love Thruxton being reasonably close to me for spectating, I'm beginning to think that the organisers were a bit late jumping on the historic festival bandwagon as have so many circuits over recent years. The much lauded revival historic F2 series featuring the Jochen Rindt trophy at Thruxton fell flat on it's face a few years back which was a great shame.
Old 31 May 2019, 12:57 (Ref:3907169)   #42
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Don't think Donington had their Masters meeting last year . Certainly it's affected both HTCC type races this year .
Old 31 May 2019, 15:40 (Ref:3907185)   #43
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Don't think Donington had their Masters meeting last year . Certainly it's affected both HTCC type races this year .
Correct, it’s Masters first visit to Donny since MSV took it over, and as can be seen from that meeting thread, they have not got stellar entries. 28 cars for the Mini only race is the biggest grid, I believe. Maybe too soon after Brands?

Going back to PA, they do draw most of their competitors from mainland Europe, and some UK based racers from previous seasons are absent this year. But some with multiple cars are missing UK events as well, so not sure if that’s brexit related or just down to personal circumstances.....
Old 31 May 2019, 15:50 (Ref:3907188)   #44
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PA also only run one big event a year in each of several different and distant countries. We are trying to squeeze six or seven a year into one country, mostly before the end of June. There has to be a consolidation and a better spread through the year or historic racing's bubble will surely burst, just as has modern club racing.
Old 31 May 2019, 15:51 (Ref:3907189)   #45
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
PA also only run one big event a year in each of several different and distant countries. We are trying to squeeze six or seven a year into one country, mostly before the end of June. There has to be a consolidation and a better spread through the year or historic racing's bubble will surely burst, just as has modern club racing.
Spot on.
Old 31 May 2019, 18:42 (Ref:3907199)   #46
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Lovely evening here watching the planes take off. Had a few laps this afternoon .Crikee forgot how fast this place is . 35 years ago I had my first FJ race here . Now I am back driving the very same car. Happy days .
Old 31 May 2019, 21:23 (Ref:3907208)   #47
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting article by Stephen Lickorish in Autosport this week about small grids (beyond historic). Drivers and spectators will surely get increasingly choosy where they spend their money - although I do realise that for many events the gate money is much the lesser factor.

Heading to Thruxton tomorrow - camera in hand - my first visit since the mid 90s.
Old 1 Jun 2019, 09:41 (Ref:3907262)   #48
brands
Veteran

Toasty now the fog has burnt off.
Nice interview with Iain on the PA.
Walking some miles around the first half of the circuit.
Old 1 Jun 2019, 19:44 (Ref:3907374)   #49
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After the visceral sensory overload at Brands last week, the relaxed and gentle ambiance of a sunny Thruxton paddock was a contrasting delight. The entry was low on numbers but high on quality and it is a great place to easily see the cars, especially around the assembly area. The circuit is splendid for spectating and even if some races were a little dull there is always something to enjoy

This event has an appeal all of its own. I hope that it can find a permanent place in the calendar even if it has to be a little less ambitious in the grids it seeks to fill
Old 1 Jun 2019, 20:18 (Ref:3907387)   #50
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
After the visceral sensory overload at Brands last week, the relaxed and gentle ambiance of a sunny Thruxton paddock was a contrasting delight. The entry was low on numbers but high on quality and it is a great place to easily see the cars, especially around the assembly area. The circuit is splendid for spectating and even if some races were a little dull there is always something to enjoy

This event has an appeal all of its own. I hope that it can find a permanent place in the calendar even if it has to be a little less ambitious in the grids it seeks to fill
Well said, echo those sentiments. Attending tomorrow