Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 22 Sep 2004, 11:08 (Ref:1103719)   #1
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
News from IPS road course test.

HOMESTEAD, Fla. – Leonardo Maia turned the first laps on a road course in Indy Racing League history on Sept. 21 when he lapped the 2.21-mile course at Homestead-Miami Speedway in a Menards Infiniti Pro Series™ car.

“It’s incredible. I couldn’t be happier,” Maia said. “The car is working really good. I think the transition from oval to road racing will be a lot easier for (the Menards Infiniti Pro Series). To be honest, there’s nothing we really need to change on the car. It’s working really well.

Full story here.

The IndyCar Series cars will hit the road today
Old 22 Sep 2004, 12:57 (Ref:1103818)   #2
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds good

Shame they didn't have a couple of more cars though so they could simulate some overtaking maneuvers to see how the cars behave under more "race-like" conditions.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 14:16 (Ref:1103888)   #3
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Buddy Rice was on the track today...

Check out the full story...

http://www.indyracing.com/indycar/ne...?story_id=3567
Old 22 Sep 2004, 14:50 (Ref:1103919)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Peple have criticised the aesthetics of IRL cars in the past, but that looks very good on a road course.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 15:17 (Ref:1103935)   #5
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting they didn't post the times!

Old 22 Sep 2004, 16:29 (Ref:1103992)   #6
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
I think that they're more concerned with testing all the equippment, rather than the lap times...there will be pleanty of time for that later.

Also, there is more news to come, and hopefully some more photos. Stay tuned...
Old 22 Sep 2004, 19:39 (Ref:1104163)   #7
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
A few more photos now online...

http://www.indyracing.com/indycar/ph...1&search=event
Old 22 Sep 2004, 19:49 (Ref:1104169)   #8
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Helio Castroneves and Alex Barron give thier thoughts so far.

“I’m like a kid in a candy store,” said Castroneves, who was driving the No. 3 Marlboro Team Penske Dallara/Toyota/Firestone. “I’m extremely happy to be turning right and left again.

“Road course racing is where I've come from,” said Barron, the driver of the No. 51 Red Bull Cheever Racing Dallara/Chevrolet/Firestone. “I enjoy it a great deal. I like the ovals to. I think it will be good to have a good mix for next year.

IndyRacing.com is being continually updated at the mo, and we'll be keeping you up to date as always...

http://www.indyracing.com/indycar/ne...?story_id=3567
Old 22 Sep 2004, 19:50 (Ref:1104171)   #9
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Buddy Rice also had this to say -

..."It's a big learning curve to take these cars that have been made to predominantly just go left and try and sort everything out, but I think it's going quite well,” Rice said...
Old 22 Sep 2004, 19:58 (Ref:1104193)   #10
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While I'm optimistic about what I'm reading in regards to the test, one has to wonder how much of the reports have been filtered through the IRL PR machine.

Oh well, at least it's nice to see they did some wet-weather running as well
Old 22 Sep 2004, 20:04 (Ref:1104201)   #11
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Peple have criticised the aesthetics of IRL cars in the past, but that looks very good on a road course.
I agree KB.

The IndyCars look very good in there high downforce configuration, especially the G-Force chassis.

I'm really interested in seeing which chassis performs better on the road courses though. I imagine one or the other will dominate somewhat. I doubt they'll be equal. We probably won't see any comparisons for awhile though.

Any bets?
Old 22 Sep 2004, 20:05 (Ref:1104207)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dallara have the road-racing pedigree, but I expect they will be pretty equal.

The rulebook is quite restrictive.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 20:14 (Ref:1104219)   #13
Refutation
Racer

Refutation should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like they got to test running in the rain/wet conditions

Old 22 Sep 2004, 20:23 (Ref:1104240)   #14
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Apparantly it was raining in the morning. Good chance to test out the wet tires.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 20:30 (Ref:1104255)   #15
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good stuff!

And I agree, the cars look good. Although I've never been bothered by their appearence much. I also think it will be interesting to see how the two chassis types fair on the road courses as well as the engine packages.
Old 22 Sep 2004, 21:38 (Ref:1104351)   #16
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Dallara have the road-racing pedigree, but I expect they will be pretty equal.

The rulebook is quite restrictive.

Both have road racing pedigree....at least in sportscars....

and the aero team and engineers at Panoz G-Force are top notch

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 22 Sep 2004, 22:24 (Ref:1104390)   #17
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this is a great stride- the road course and high downforce wings set ups really make these cars look the part (especially IPS)
is this a nail in the open wheel split coffin...
to be honest the oval configurations of both series cars are kinda -for lack of a better term. "ack"

i must say the tide looks like it is turning..
the dallara front end looks very "swift" like, or like the last iteration of th lola before the raise or single stalk wing like this years CC fighter...
Old 22 Sep 2004, 22:26 (Ref:1104395)   #18
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
of course our very own Mulsanne mike is at Gforce so....
who do you choose? ha ha ha!
and we have friends at dallara as well....
Old 23 Sep 2004, 06:31 (Ref:1104604)   #19
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
great stuff , they look good and by all reports things seem to be going well.

I cant wait for that first road course event its gonna be excellent
Old 23 Sep 2004, 07:56 (Ref:1104662)   #20
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Interesting paint-scheme by AGR

(From the SPEED Channel site)

Also - and I don't know why - but for some reason that car looks... different to me. I can't put a finger on what it is and I'm probably just seeing things, but still...

Might be that the hideous nose is covered by the front wheel or that the upward-sloping way-too-high sidepods (I really wish they would at least make them level) aren't as noticable due to the all-white - looks great in any case

Rustyfan I editted the picture to make it just a bit smaller for people with slow connections

Last edited by marcus; 23 Sep 2004 at 08:51.
Old 23 Sep 2004, 08:44 (Ref:1104687)   #21
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
certainly does look different , I quite like it
Old 23 Sep 2004, 09:21 (Ref:1104722)   #22
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
Rustyfan I editted the picture to make it just a bit smaller for people with slow connections
It wasn't that big in size (a mere 76KB) - oh well... Good to hear I'm not the only one seeing things though

Edit: For those who want to take a closer look, here's the link to the full image:

http://www.speedtv.com/_assets/libra.../42464_rdd.jpg

Last edited by rustyfan; 23 Sep 2004 at 09:22.
Old 23 Sep 2004, 10:24 (Ref:1104769)   #23
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
I suppose the other sponsors would be a bit miffed if they were left out on a big event like this.
Old 23 Sep 2004, 12:50 (Ref:1104925)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

This is AGR's corporate livery which is used when they need to represent the whole team.
Old 23 Sep 2004, 17:51 (Ref:1105206)   #25
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing happened that wasn't reported. Seems that an oil line either came undone or broke on Darios car and when he went down pit lane the car erupted in fire. It was quickly extinguished and fixed. Danica and Vitor will be in the Rahal letterman car today. The teams are using the whole road course and not turns 3-4 on the oval like the Grand Am series did this weekend. Hornish is in the Penske car as well.