Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 17 Feb 2006, 12:27 (Ref:1524989)   #1
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Misc IndyCar News/Info 2006

Since it's been rather slow on the IndyCar newsfront as of late I figured a thread for the smaller news, that perhaps doesn't really justify a completely new thread of their own, might be of some use.

Quote:
Rookies get some laps in traffic on oval

Bombardier Rookie of the Year candidates Marco Andretti and Paul Dana completed a successful two-day test at Homestead-Miami Speedway on Feb. 15.

Indy Racing League officials conducted the test in order to evaluate both drivers in traffic on the 1.5-mile, high-banked oval that will host the season-opening IndyCar Series race March 26. Veteran driver Michael Andretti, who will come out of retirement to compete in the 90th Indianapolis 500 on May 28, also participated in the test.
Full article is available at the Indycar.com website.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 12:35 (Ref:1524997)   #2
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Watkins Glen recently announced that more improvements are in the works:

Quote:
NEW RACE CONTROL TO BE ADDED ON FRONTSTRETCH

Capital improvements continue in full swing at Watkins Glen International with the addition of a brand-new race control structure located at the top of the new FrontStretch Grandstand, which was built in 2005.

Watkins Glen International president Craig Rust announced today that the foundation has already been poured in preparation for the track's new addition and that the project is expected to be completed early this spring.
Full article at motorsport.com.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 12:39 (Ref:1525004)   #3
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Misc notes from a few days back - Kanaan is featured in tv-ad and AGR & SSM test Indy Pro Series drivers:

Quote:
Kanaan featured in Reese's ad

IRL IndyCar® Series driver Tony Kanaan is featured along with NASCAR driver Kevin Harvick in a new commercial for Reese's Peanut Butter Cups with caramel. The commercial has been shown nationally during a variety of television programs and sporting events.
Quote:
AGR, SSM test Indy Pro Series drivers

Andretti Green Racing and Sam Schmidt Motorsports continued their preparations for the 2006 Indy Pro Series season Feb. 8-9 with two days of road course testing.

The two teams formed a partnership in December and tested on an oval in late January.

Jaime Camara, who finished fifth in the series in 2005, and rookie Jonathan Klein, a freshman at the University of Dayton, are slated to drive for AGR. England's Jay Howard completed his second test for Sam Schmidt.
Full article at motorsport.com.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 13:20 (Ref:1525026)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Good Job Rustyfan
Old 17 Feb 2006, 13:39 (Ref:1525043)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I take it Dana has competed in few enough races to still be classified as a rookie?
Old 17 Feb 2006, 14:39 (Ref:1525091)   #6
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus
Good Job Rustyfan
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
I take it Dana has competed in few enough races to still be classified as a rookie?
I'd say so, yes, since he only did three races before suffering the back injuries during practice for the Indianapolis 500.

Not sure, to be honest, whether or not IndyCar has an official cap on the number of races you can do in one year and still be classified as a rookie the next. The NEXTEL Cup Series, for example, has a cap of seven races in one year to maintain your rookie-status for the following year.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 18:02 (Ref:1525216)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dan Wheldon did 2 races in 2002 and was Rookie of the Year in 2003, but I'm not sure what the cap is. I thnk in NASCAR you are classified as a Rookie if you've done less than 16 races, and less than 8 in any one season (bearing in mind the extra length of their years). Incidentally, Dale Earnhardt made his debut in 1975 and was Rookie of the Year in 1979, as he did occasional races for a few years.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 09:03 (Ref:1528843)   #8
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Chip Ganassi Racing has launched a new website. Looks pretty good.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 09:09 (Ref:1528845)   #9
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Indy Pro Series returns to ESPN2
Quote:
Same-day coverage of the Freedom 100 from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway highlights ESPN2's coverage of the Indy Pro Series in 2006.

ESPN2, which reaches more than 88 million homes in the United States, has televised Indy Pro Series races since the series' inception in 2002.
(Complete text at: IndyCar notes at motorsport.com)

Panther Racing hires new engineers
Quote:
Pappas, Harvey join Panther Racing: Panther Racing has bolstered its engineering staff by adding veteran race engineers Bill Pappas and Brent "Woody" Harvey.
(Complete text at: IndyCar notes at motorsport.com)

Nice to hear that Panther is hiring, rather than firing, again
Old 24 Feb 2006, 10:29 (Ref:1530571)   #10
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
IPS - Mishael Abbott Lands MCM One-Off
Quote:
New Indy Pro Series squad Michael Crawford Motorsports has announced female racer Mishael Abbott as its driver for the opening race of the 2006 season, at Homestead-Miami Speedway on March 26. The 24-year old will test with MCM, also at Homestead, on March 4 and 6 during the Pro Series' preseason Open Test.
(Source: SpeedTV.com)
Old 3 Mar 2006, 09:00 (Ref:1535218)   #11
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
On the job training - Wallace tests Indy car to prepare for IRL analyst role
Quote:
Wallace drove eight laps on the 2.21-mile Homestead-Miami Speedway road course in a Team Penske Dallara.

"I tell you what, I gotta get one of these at home," said Wallace, who will be an analyst for the ABC and ESPN race coverage.
(Full article over at Sports Illustrated)

Sounds like he had fun

Sigh... I sure wish I could get the US commentary so I could get a chance to hear how Rusty does this year, but I'm guessing we outside of the US will get the usual "international US commentary" again...
Old 3 Mar 2006, 14:00 (Ref:1535457)   #12
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Today's Indy Star reported that Hemelgarn is trying to put together a deal with P.J. Chesson for the 2006 IRL season.

BTW...

In road course testing at Homestead yesterday, the Top Five were:

1. Helio Castroneves
2. Sam Hornish
3. Scott Dixon
4. Dan Wheldon
5. Vitor Meira

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 3 Mar 2006, 15:47 (Ref:1535530)   #13
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happy to see Vitor/Panther on top, given their recent troubles.
Old 3 Mar 2006, 19:31 (Ref:1535628)   #14
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also, it might be of note that Dixon and Wheldon drove Panoz chassis yesterday even though the team announced a switch to Dallara this year. This might mean they plan on running the Panoz at the road courses and Dallara at the ovals. Not a bad idea since the Panoz seemed pretty good on the road courses last year.
Old 5 Mar 2006, 07:31 (Ref:1536496)   #15
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
P.J. Chesson was informally announced as the driver for Hemelgarn this year. It was also announced that Gene Simmons would be providing "financial backing" for the team. Its unclear whether that means some sort of sponsorship or if he has bought part of the team.

Looks like depspite all the off-season soothsaying about "minimum car counts" that the series will have just as many full-season runners as last year.
Old 6 Mar 2006, 03:40 (Ref:1537032)   #16
Seoigh
Racer

United States
Florida
Seoigh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan
On the job training - Wallace tests Indy car to prepare for IRL analyst role
(Full article over at Sports Illustrated)

Sounds like he had fun

Sigh... I sure wish I could get the US commentary so I could get a chance to hear how Rusty does this year, but I'm guessing we outside of the US will get the usual "international US commentary" again...
Rustyfan...you CAN get the live american feed...via internet..details at www.gpstpete.com

cheers,
Dennis
Old 16 Mar 2006, 08:18 (Ref:1550077)   #17
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seoigh
Rustyfan...you CAN get the live american feed...via internet..details at www.gpstpete.com

cheers,
Dennis
Cool, I might check it out during the race then. Nothing beats watching on TV though
Old 16 Mar 2006, 08:24 (Ref:1550080)   #18
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Seems negotiations regarding a race at San Antonio are nearing the end.

IRL Could Race at San Antonio in '07
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedTV.com
Negotiations between the Indy Racing League and San Antonio continue as the IndyCar Series seeks to race in the Texan city's streets in 2007. According to the San Antonio Express, IRL and city could finalize the deal to add a fourth road course to the IndyCar calendar next week.

It's no secret I dislike street circuits, but I guess if they do their homework and the layout is good that it could be cool.

I'm not holding my breath though - it's usually a miss rather than a hit when it comes to new street circuits.

Some IPS news....

IPS - Jay Howard Confirmed at Sam Schmidt
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedTV.com
Reigning F-Ford 2000 champion Jay Howard has been confirmed by Sam Schmidt Motorsports to drive the squad's single entry in the 2006 Indy Pro Series season. Howard, a 25-year old Briton, had already taken part in this month's Homestead Open Test with SSM, setting the fastest time around the South Florida oval.
Old 16 Mar 2006, 12:43 (Ref:1550207)   #19
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IPS have never been so healty! at least 20cars on the grid, probably more than IRL.
Old 16 Mar 2006, 12:49 (Ref:1550213)   #20
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Yes, it should be interesting to see what the final car-count lands at
Old 19 Mar 2006, 13:19 (Ref:1552701)   #21
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
IPS have never been so healty! at least 20cars on the grid, probably more than IRL.
eeerrr wrong!!! IRL has 20 cars confirmed already for Homestead next week and we are still waiting on the announcement from Yellow Ribbon Racing so it could be 22

So no, it's probably not more then the IRL
Old 19 Mar 2006, 21:25 (Ref:1553060)   #22
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Snips1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Yellow Ribbon Racing program is for Indy only...
Old 20 Mar 2006, 07:41 (Ref:1553408)   #23
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stradlin21
eeerrr wrong!!! IRL has 20 cars confirmed already for Homestead next week and we are still waiting on the announcement from Yellow Ribbon Racing so it could be 22

So no, it's probably not more then the IRL
wish the Lord you're right and I'm wrong, I'd be very happy if IRL grid arrives to 22 cars; nonetheless it's still true that IPS is opening a record year.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 18:15 (Ref:1555093)   #24
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
wish the Lord you're right and I'm wrong, I'd be very happy if IRL grid arrives to 22 cars; nonetheless it's still true that IPS is opening a record year.
Not long to wait now for the start of the season!!

It should be a really competitive season, everyone has honda's so someone who you don't expect to do well might spring a surprise

Don't laugh but my tip for a potential upset is Ed Carpenter, he is looking alot better going into this season with a very teammate beside him
Old 21 Mar 2006, 07:34 (Ref:1555488)   #25
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
some more news abpout yellowribbon racing: the squad will be managed by old PDM blokes, renamedly the nicest people in the paddock, tho not the richest, nor the most competitive..