Closed Thread

Old 21 Sep 2011, 12:01 (Ref:2959033)   #1
tcb
Rookie

England
lancs
tcb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oulton Park On Post Toilets

As a marshal reaching a curtain age the lack of handy Toilets on some posts at oulton is becoming a difficulty.
Having spoken to many women marshals as well this is a difficulty for them as well. Is it to much to ask for a portaloo on each post not within easy reach of a Toilet block.
Shell for instance is now void of any portaloo.
Is this to stop oldies like me and women marshals from doing Shell.?
Is this sexist and ageist. Should the oldies and women marshals vote with there feet and only marshal on a few posts, leaving others undermanned.?
Oulton Park please listen to the oldies and growing number of women marshals and provide the portaloos we all need.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 13:43 (Ref:2959078)   #2
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
i feel your pain! isnt the best thing ever, the amount of times ive had to go off post to walk 200 metres to a toilet or go somewhere there's no toilet shows circuits still have a long way to go, the people youd expect to most be on the ball is msvr, who owns oulton msvr...
Old 21 Sep 2011, 13:56 (Ref:2959085)   #3
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb View Post
Shell for instance is now void of any portaloo.
Is this to stop oldies like me and women marshals from doing Shell.?
Why in this day and age at permanent circuits do we have to accept the 'theres loads of trees over there' as the answer to 'where's the loo'?

I think it shows a lack of respect. I can't imagine it costs too much to hire and service portaloos?
Old 21 Sep 2011, 14:22 (Ref:2959092)   #4
hattiebattyboo
Rookie

hattiebattyboo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know this has been a problem for a while, i know it has been brought up with the cercit guys and the reply is alwasy " it will be looked into"but that has been the same reply for 2 years now. its ok for the boys that can use the "trees over there" but for us poor little girles its not quite that easy in 4 layers of cloths and overalls!! come on guys sort it out!
Old 21 Sep 2011, 14:42 (Ref:2959102)   #5
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Ian Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the past 20 odd years, the answer to this problem is to ask your PC to ring race control.In the break between practice or race you will be picked up and taken to the toilets at race control.

So simple it works.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 14:51 (Ref:2959105)   #6
Matthews Dad
Veteran

England
Northwich
Matthews Dad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Lewis View Post
For the past 20 odd years, the answer to this problem is to ask your PC to ring race control.In the break between practice or race you will be picked up and taken to the toilets at race control.

So simple it works.
I never knew that!

But do you get brought back after your comfort break

I'll add it to my briefings
Old 21 Sep 2011, 14:52 (Ref:2959106)   #7
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All the new posts at Snetterton have a portaloo, so maybe if you beg long enough, you'll get them at Oulton as well.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 16:06 (Ref:2959143)   #8
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There should be a form with each Post Chiefs paperwork that relates to issue on post, such as pot holes, bad working areas etc. There is no reason why this cannot be used to report lack of toilets, as this could also be a health and safety issue.

As mentioned earlier, they have portaloos on each post at Snetterton, even the posts that are only 2 minutes walk from Tyrells bar. As both circuits are owned by MSVR then surely they should have the same ammenities? And before the Brands Hatch lot pipe up, yes, I know there are no toilets on the GP loop, well none that dont have a trunk, branches and leaves!!!

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 21 Sep 2011, 16:19 (Ref:2959148)   #9
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthews Dad View Post
I never knew that!
Neither did I! However, it was written into the briefing notes at the last BRSCC meeting - your Post Chief should have informed you! I've never had a problem with members of my team taking a "comfort break", even if it means them missing a session.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 17:19 (Ref:2959165)   #10
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly 1 View Post
There should be a form with each Post Chiefs paperwork that relates to issue on post, such as pot holes, bad working areas etc. There is no reason why this cannot be used to report lack of toilets, as this could also be a health and safety issue.
There is and it's usually the last form in the Post Chief file which is issued by both BRSCC and BARC North West - it is the Potential Hazard Report.

I have had to complete the form twice this season - first time to request the return of the Portaloo to a particular place and secondly to mark where rabbits had been burrowing.

Both reports were acted on although the Portaloo was moved from one post to another and the other is an ongoing problem. I should also add that the Chief Marshal and Clerks encouraged me to write the reports.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 17:22 (Ref:2959169)   #11
exflagman
Racer

exflagman is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayBee View Post
Both reports were acted on although the Portaloo was moved from one post to another and the other is an ongoing problem.
Was anyone it it when they moved it?
Old 21 Sep 2011, 17:31 (Ref:2959171)   #12
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have been impressed at Oulton over recent years but haven't been up to Shell for a long time! The toilets are usually clean and unsmelly (except the one at Lodge used by the public) - so no need for the drastic "air freshener" activities required at somewhere like Le Mans.

All a great change from when I first started
Old 21 Sep 2011, 17:45 (Ref:2959175)   #13
Les Green
Rookie

United Kingdom
Widnes Cheshire
Les Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Often at Oulton even the toilet blocks they have, are not always open but locked. I have found a number of loo blocks closed this year on race days.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 17:50 (Ref:2959180)   #14
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthews Dad View Post
I never knew that!
Yes-it's strictly on a need to go basis
Old 21 Sep 2011, 18:05 (Ref:2959187)   #15
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Yes-it's strictly on a need to go basis
Old 21 Sep 2011, 22:23 (Ref:2959303)   #16
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:

So simple it works.
works yeah but plenty of times when ive been on post and when a lass has needed to go, sometimes theyll feel like theyre burdening the post and will try holding on for the end of the meeting, shouldnt come to that...
i know what youre saying circuits dont want to spend £x amount week on week for 20 posts but the amount of times a portaloo is used when its there, its better than holding on for 4/5/6 hours... and money may be better spent on other provisions for marshals but a vast majority of marshals, girlies will more often than not feel annoyed that theyre not looked after enough and like the cheesy saying goes, vote with their feet
Old 22 Sep 2011, 07:32 (Ref:2959421)   #17
Ian Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYankee01 View Post
works yeah but plenty of times when ive been on post and when a lass has needed to go, sometimes theyll feel like theyre burdening the post and will try holding on for the end of the meeting, shouldnt come to that...
Sorry- you are talking absolute nonsense. If you need to go then you need to go.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 08:04 (Ref:2959428)   #18
Motorsportgirli
Racer

England
Hornsea
Motorsportgirli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

So simple it works.
What about if you are the Female Post Chief with only two trainees for company and the sessions are running behind so no opportunity to get collected and brought back in time.

A few months back I requested a loo break, no facilities nearby and a 2hr race was about to start. i was told to go behind a tree (no trees anywhere close by as i was in the infield and overlooked bt spectator banking!). I took in the humour it was intended and they did come and collect me after some discussion but in all seriousness surely a couple of portaloos would stop issues arising?
Old 22 Sep 2011, 09:49 (Ref:2959457)   #19
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Sorry- you are talking absolute nonsense. If you need to go then you need to go.
im not arguing on here. i doubt im talking nonsense, seen it before, youll have had it loads, you have a woman on post, who'll hang on session after session, when the shiny m3 comes she's gone for the entire session, one person down on post what may be made up of a post of 2-3 people at times, making the incident guy flag and the post chief pick up the flag if there's an incident or the other way round, how can the loss of £20 for that meeting justify that...
Old 22 Sep 2011, 11:03 (Ref:2959485)   #20
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
im not arguing on here. i doubt im talking nonsense, seen it before, youll have had it loads, you have a woman on post, who'll hang on session after session, when the shiny m3 comes she's gone for the entire session, one person down on post what may be made up of a post of 2-3 people at times, making the incident guy flag and the post chief pick up the flag if there's an incident or the other way round, how can the loss of £20 for that meeting justify that...
How does £20 come into this matter?

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 22 Sep 2011, 11:13 (Ref:2959490)   #21
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
one person down on post what may be made up of a post of 2-3 people at times, making the incident guy flag and the post chief pick up the flag if there's an incident or the other way round,
Where's the problem with that? It's what we call teamwork.

The bottom line here is that we must consider the welfare of everyone on post; nothing complicated, just basic good man-management (meant as a non-gender-specific term!). It's nothing to do with whether marshals are male or female; everybody deserves equal treatment.

Yes, the lack of toilet facilities on post does cause problems & needs to be addressed, but until every post has a toilet within easy reach we'll just get on with the job & work with what we've got.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 11:23 (Ref:2959493)   #22
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly 1 View Post
How does £20 come into this matter?
i dont know what company its with but with their prices i remember it was £20 per week? or month, to hire i dont know i think it was p/w
Old 22 Sep 2011, 11:28 (Ref:2959496)   #23
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Where's the problem with that? It's what we call teamwork.

The bottom line here is that we must consider the welfare of everyone on post; nothing complicated, just basic good man-management (meant as a non-gender-specific term!). It's nothing to do with whether marshals are male or female; everybody deserves equal treatment.

Yes, the lack of toilet facilities on post does cause problems & needs to be addressed, but until every post has a toilet within easy reach we'll just get on with the job & work with what we've got.
well said... i agree not disputing every marshals welfare, some circuits have it spot on others obviously arent making the money to hire or even buy for a small amount compared to profits of the circuit... clubs make losses circuits make huge profits...
Old 22 Sep 2011, 11:46 (Ref:2959511)   #24
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
...clubs make losses circuits make huge profits...
but not on race weekends unless it is a big meet. what interests me more is how the lack of facilities at some posts is coped with on a track day when only one person is on a post, and not all posts are manned.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 11:49 (Ref:2959513)   #25
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
clubs make losses circuits make huge profits...
Putting it politely - Balderdash!