Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 24 Oct 2011, 13:36 (Ref:2976036)   #1
Steve Fox
Racer

United Kingdom
S.W.London
Steve Fox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
D&G Cars

I know that this is not directly related to Marshaling but as we Brands Marshals get to rub shoulders with the chaps from D&G more than anyone else I thought I should put the question here.
I've looked at their website but it is just a big flash presentation showing larger and larger lorries, without any relevant (or irrelevant come to that) information. That would normally be my cue to look elsewhere but as they are our mates my question is: Assuming they still do ordinary vehicle recovery has anyone used them for such and how was the service/price/response time?

Do we get a discount?? (worth a try!)
Old 24 Oct 2011, 13:55 (Ref:2976043)   #2
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I see their vans and trucks all over the place, with all sorts of vehicles so assume they do normal recovery, assume they have a contract with the AA, RAC etc to be the local cover for the area. I don't know if you can have them as your breakdown cover though.

I know they did have a depot near Tilbury, but that has moved now.
Old 24 Oct 2011, 16:22 (Ref:2976103)   #3
Darren Holmes
Racer

England
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Darren Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you looking at the right website? http://www.dgcars.com/index.html
Old 24 Oct 2011, 17:01 (Ref:2976117)   #4
Steve Fox
Racer

United Kingdom
S.W.London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Holmes View Post
Are you looking at the right website? http://www.dgcars.com/index.html
Yes, That's the one.
Old 26 Oct 2011, 21:23 (Ref:2977392)   #5
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fox View Post
my question is: Assuming they still do ordinary vehicle recovery has anyone used them for such and how was the service/price/response time?

Do we get a discount?? (worth a try!)
I have used/worked with them out on the road. Everything from helicopters to mopeds and various things in between.

They will do ordinary vehicle recovery. However I suspect they will charge per job as opposed to an annual fee offered by organisations such as the AA, RAC or your insurance company.

So each job price and response time would vary depending on where you are, where you want to be recovered to and how busy they are. So for that reason you would probably be better off using one of the other services out there. Who may well sub the work out to D&G.

It is of course a gamble on where and how often you intend to break down.

Do they offer a discount? Who knows it would be best to ask them directly and they would give the definitive answer.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 08:15 (Ref:2977530)   #6
Steve Fox
Racer

United Kingdom
S.W.London
The problem that I have, and I'm sure that I am not alone, is that I do carry a petrol can, I could change a wheel in my sleep, I know where every nut and bolt goes on my car. I have tools and skills to do just about any task needed to get me home, In over 30 years of driving I have only needed one tow BUT it only takes a snapped gilmer belt to find me totally stranded at the side of the road. AA, RAC etc base their charges on people who are the opposite of me, some (not all, I'm sure) have no ability to do even the most simple task like changing a wheel or to work out what the red light means, so in the ten years that I have owned my current car I would have spent 500-600 on a service that I would not have used. What I need is to find a service where I press some folding into someone's hand and they pull me off the M25. As I usually only drive my car to Brands (I'm a cyclist workdays) it makes sense to use a firm that is most likely on their way there and could take me and the car with them.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 08:18 (Ref:2977534)   #7
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
If you break down on the M25 or any other motorway the police will have you removed at your expense by the quickest possible means.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 10:13 (Ref:2977583)   #8
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
If you break down on the M25 or any other motorway the police will have you removed at your expense by the quickest possible means.
what even if you have breakdown cover? ill chain myself to the bloody car!
Old 27 Oct 2011, 10:56 (Ref:2977606)   #9
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYankee01 View Post
breakdown cover?
isn't this "removed quickly at your expense"?

Old 27 Oct 2011, 10:59 (Ref:2977609)   #10
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYankee01 View Post
what even if you have breakdown cover? ill chain myself to the bloody car!
It all depends how quickly they can get to you. I've heard stories of the police having cars removed because the driver couldn't get anyone out quick enough, not sure about whether they had cover or not.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 11:06 (Ref:2977615)   #11
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
It all depends how quickly they can get to you. I've heard stories of the police having cars removed because the driver couldn't get anyone out quick enough, not sure about whether they had cover or not.
well thanks for the more sensible reply , on another note those past stories for me would hopefully be people who didnt have breakdown cover, id be horrified if i was paying £80 and the next guy didnt and then go on to get the same treatment.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 11:09 (Ref:2977616)   #12
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
I will also admit they probably came from Piston Heads which is the Daily Mail of internet forums.