Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 5 May 2015, 12:35 (Ref:3534314)   #26
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
No arguments here! When I drive the car, just thinking of all that junk swirling around the cogs makes my skin crawl!
mostly, it doesn't.
The casings are usually designed with a tiny 'sump' in the bottom where the metal flakes and chips and dust will gather and coalesce into a sticky substance. Look out for it next time you have one apart.
Old 6 May 2015, 13:43 (Ref:3534734)   #27
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
mostly, it doesn't.
The casings are usually designed with a tiny 'sump' in the bottom where the metal flakes and chips and dust will gather and coalesce into a sticky substance. Look out for it next time you have one apart.
"mostly, it doesn't."

Is the bit that bothers me David.

A paste of fine grit wizzing around in the bearings and sliding under high pressure between the gear teeth. At least change it every 100 000 km or so surely!?
Also the oil is running at high temperatures and pressures and breaks down and loses its lubricating ability.

I reckon the manufacturers are only worried about the warranty period and after that you are on your own, but sealed for life is just plain sabotage!

On the sludge and gunk in the little sumps, have you noticed how different makes of oil leave different deposits and different amounts?
I have found that quite remarkable!

Last edited by wnut; 6 May 2015 at 13:48.
Old 7 May 2015, 23:18 (Ref:3535298)   #28
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Bleederless hydraulic clutch systems!

The clutch slave cylinders has no bleed nipple! So no way to bleed the system, you are expected to take the piston out of the master cylinder and push fluid through to the top of the cylinder and re-insert the piston to bleed the system!

How did this farce come about?!
Old 8 May 2015, 00:45 (Ref:3535323)   #29
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
That is a great name!

TTY bolts they are from now on for me!

"I torque to specification plus a quarter turn"
Don't they start to neck? They have reached the plastic deformation zone the first time they are torqued beyond the elastic limit, and subsequent installations will just plain stretch them.

Have you had trouble removing the large TTY bolts, seem to require huge amounts of torque to undo; probably why they are good without nuts; then often just break clean off!

P.S. I use threadlocker low strength on just about everything, stops corrosion in threads and requires the same amount of force to undo.
I've never had trouble removing a bolt because I have, as Edd China calls it, a "windy gun". ...I love that phrase, it's perfect.

I have had an issue with TTYs stretching too much. I used to bend end links (or drop links depending on where your standing) frequently on my car so I upgraded to higher strength end links. That caused the bolts to stretch by 1/8" or more! A grade 8 bolt with a nylock finally solved that problem.

Lots of caliper bolts are TTY now which is a scary thought. I don't reuse those but at $7 a pop, it gets frustrating.
Old 8 May 2015, 13:55 (Ref:3535520)   #30
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I've never had trouble removing a bolt because I have, as Edd China calls it, a "windy gun". ...I love that phrase, it's perfect.

I have had an issue with TTYs stretching too much. I used to bend end links (or drop links depending on where your standing) frequently on my car so I upgraded to higher strength end links. That caused the bolts to stretch by 1/8" or more! A grade 8 bolt with a nylock finally solved that problem.

Lots of caliper bolts are TTY now which is a scary thought. I don't reuse those but at $7 a pop, it gets frustrating.
The windy gun is the instrument that rips the bolt head off! Hope you haven't jinxed yourself with the above statement.

Using TTYs to hold calipers on is scary! Did not know that, wonder how many are inadvertently reused?
I would replace the lousy caliper bolts with 8.8 or higher tensile bolts, cheaper, stronger and better! Not that that is advice mind!
Old 9 May 2015, 01:28 (Ref:3535699)   #31
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
(or drop links depending on where your standing) .
Depending on where you're standing dumbass.

Quote:
The windy gun is the instrument that rips the bolt head off! Hope you haven't jinxed yourself with the above statement.

Using TTYs to hold calipers on is scary! Did not know that, wonder how many are inadvertently reused?
I would replace the lousy caliper bolts with 8.8 or higher tensile bolts, cheaper, stronger and better! Not that that is advice mind!
Oh, I've ripped the head off many a bolt. Most of the time when the head pops off I'm able to pull it out with a grabit.

In my case, I can't get to the backside of the bolt. I don't want to use anything else without a nut.