Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 15 Dec 2004, 13:12 (Ref:1179986)   #1
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MG Rover In DTM In 2005[merged]

Autosport on line has announced this. Excellent news, as long as the job is to be done properly. I hope that the company supports some British Drivers.

Last edited by andy97; 15 Dec 2004 at 13:13.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 13:27 (Ref:1179999)   #2
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a German magazine claims the drivers will be Jamie Campbell-Walter and Nicolas Minassian, but they were often wrong in the past
Old 15 Dec 2004, 13:31 (Ref:1180002)   #3
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Minassian is popular. He is also named to drive the Oreca R8, but still seems to have a contract with Creation.

I would bet on Peter Dumbreck getting a seat as well. Maybe Timo Scheider as well.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 13:34 (Ref:1180004)   #4
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Antony Reid could be a good option, i'd certainly like to see him get a chance. Autosport is reporting 4 cars will be raced
Old 15 Dec 2004, 13:37 (Ref:1180008)   #5
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Autosport can reveal that MG plans to run four cars in next year's series.
Does this mean they will race under the MG name? Or will they use the Rover 75 V8?

4 cars is nice indeed.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 13:38 (Ref:1180010)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There is an MG V8 version.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 13:40 (Ref:1180013)   #7
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about 4 from Perry Mcarthy, Robin Liddell, Tim Mullen, Warren Hughes and Rob Barff for drives?
Old 15 Dec 2004, 13:40 (Ref:1180015)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Reid is contracted to MG, not to the West Surrey Racing team he drove for in the BTCC, so they'll have first refusal on him. This could be the ideal time to enter the DTM, as they can use this as aleearning year before moving up the (weakened) 2006 field.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 13:48 (Ref:1180022)   #9
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
There is an MG V8 version.
Indeed, but there is not a bit difference between the Rover 75 V8 and the MG ZT 260 V8 (such a long name ).
Old 15 Dec 2004, 14:04 (Ref:1180050)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah but doesn't body style also have an effect? The MG comes with more factory spoilers etc. Therefore the rules (if I understand them correcty) allow more aero aids than for the spoiler-less Rover?
Old 15 Dec 2004, 14:04 (Ref:1180051)   #11
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by flor
a German magazine claims the drivers will be Jamie Campbell-Walter and Nicolas Minassian, but they were often wrong in the past
Highly unlikely, because Creation Autosportif announced to retaine the services of both for their 2005 LMES/ALMS campaign.
source: crash.net
Old 15 Dec 2004, 14:09 (Ref:1180056)   #12
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Yeah but doesn't body style also have an effect? The MG comes with more factory spoilers etc. Therefore the rules (if I understand them correcty) allow more aero aids than for the spoiler-less Rover?
It makes no difference. The DTM cars are not based at all on the body work of the original road cars. It is just a fibre body which resembles the road car (wheel base and length are the same, etc.).
Old 15 Dec 2004, 14:20 (Ref:1180074)   #13
Thommy
Racer

Germany
Kulmbach, Bavaria
Thommy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay, as teams I suggest Rosberg and Phoenix

as drivers Reid, Dumbrek, Scheider and maybe Albers
Old 15 Dec 2004, 14:25 (Ref:1180085)   #14
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Warren Hughes could be an interesting option, especially as he has unfinished business with the DTM after his season with the Mondeo
Old 15 Dec 2004, 14:27 (Ref:1180091)   #15
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thommy
Okay, as teams I suggest Rosberg and Phoenix

as drivers Reid, Dumbrek, Scheider and maybe Albers
Zytek is designing the car. Won't they run the cars?

I agree with your guess for the drivers, but really doubt Albers will be allowed to drive for another DTM deal. He still has a contract with Mercedes, but really wants his F1 seat (yesterday f1racing.nl mentionned his F1 budget is complete).
Old 15 Dec 2004, 14:39 (Ref:1180109)   #16
Thommy
Racer

Germany
Kulmbach, Bavaria
Is it really true Zytek will develop the cars? I don't think so, but don't ask me why. I don't believe the whole project, as well...

But, as a 4th driver I could mention Thomas Jäger, Jeroen Bleekemolen, Pedro Lamy or Marcel Tiemann as experienced DTM- drivers...
Old 15 Dec 2004, 14:46 (Ref:1180116)   #17
alfan
Racer

Poland
Wroclaw, Poland
alfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very suprising , I'd rather think about Rover going to WTCC. But i'ts very nice information as well
Old 15 Dec 2004, 14:52 (Ref:1180126)   #18
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this out of the blue or did I just miss the rumours? Still, it'll be nice to cheer on a British make in the DTM next year... especially if they bring along a few British drivers.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 14:57 (Ref:1180133)   #19
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
Is this out of the blue or did I just miss the rumours? Still, it'll be nice to cheer on a British make in the DTM next year... especially if they bring along a few British drivers.
Apparently there was a rumor in the German magazine "Auto Bild Motorsport". Yesterday, ITR (DTM organization) acknowleged a 4th manufacturer would enter DTM in 2005, but did not name the manufacturer. Sources confirmed that Zytek has been working on a touring car project since september. Now Autosport reports that MG Rover will enter 4 DTM cars. I guess the rumor is quite solid.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 15:01 (Ref:1180140)   #20
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Might not WSR run at least two of the cars? Reid/Hughes would make a lot of sense (though Hughes might feel a little disenchanted with MG Rover).
Old 15 Dec 2004, 15:18 (Ref:1180176)   #21
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this should certainly increase the chance of a DTM race in Britain?
Old 15 Dec 2004, 15:22 (Ref:1180182)   #22
Gabrio
Veteran

Gabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I do not believe this project is for real. MG is being sold, the new owners have not walked in yet and they also have to digest Sang Yong. DTM costs an awful lot of money and is basically directed at the german market only, while WTCC promotes vehicles in the whole world and is at least 5 times cheaper. It doesn't make much sense...Plus, MG is not earning money...
Old 15 Dec 2004, 15:27 (Ref:1180197)   #23
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Keep in mind that Autosport hasn't confirmed anything, nor has MG/Rover confirmed anything. The only thing that Autosport says is that their sources have confirmed it...
Old 15 Dec 2004, 15:27 (Ref:1180199)   #24
flor
Veteran

5 times cheaper? can you tell me alfa's budget for example?
Old 15 Dec 2004, 15:28 (Ref:1180202)   #25
Thommy
Racer

Germany
Kulmbach, Bavaria
If I believe some datas, MG-Rover Germany spends more money in advertising than any other car- manufactorer. They are doing a hugh sportsponsoring in ladies- bob- sliding (no joke)