Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Aug 2000, 14:13 (Ref:34229)   #1
Rated R
Rookie

Rated R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From formula-1.co.uk

Bernie Ecclestone has long admitted that 'he would love to see Ferrari win the championship' and last week stuck another thorn into the side of McLaren by claiming that Mika Hakkinen has no charisma and that he is cold. Ecclestone went on to add that this is the tyre of driver that Dennis likes as his driver. "Mika has no charisma and no-one knows that he's a world champion," Ecclestone said. "You can't create a personality. He is cold and enclosed and exactly the type of person Ron Dennis appreciates. He would rather have sheep than anybody with their own ideas."

Sheep!Oh, my God, it is getting nasty...
Old 31 Aug 2000, 14:18 (Ref:34230)   #2
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmmm - Alain Prost, Ayrton Senna, Keke Rosberg, Gerhard Berger, Niki Lauda......right bunch of sheep there. Just Bernie winding up the publicity machine...just in case everybody forgets who he is.
Old 31 Aug 2000, 15:58 (Ref:34240)   #3
Roy2
Racer

Roy2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How could Ferrari be anyone's favorite team? It's natural for Bernie Ecclestone, a matter of elective affinities.

Imagine the ghoul Ecclestone commenting on anyone's personality deficiencies. It's like Sawney Bean campaigning against meat in the diet.
Old 31 Aug 2000, 17:19 (Ref:34248)   #4
Cameron
Rookie

Cameron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I was a racing team manager I think I would be heading off to the sheep market pretty quickly.

Maybe Bernie's upset 'cos he is not MH's manager.
Old 31 Aug 2000, 18:23 (Ref:34258)   #5
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Hakkinen dull? Yep.
Old 31 Aug 2000, 19:51 (Ref:34283)   #6
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Hakkinen? Dull? Never!
Old 31 Aug 2000, 21:51 (Ref:34292)   #7
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

After saying NO NO NO to Mr(nightlife)White van man, Irvine last year, fearing front page orgies no doubt. I would have thought that Mr(Family Man)Hakkainen would have been first choice.

Bernie must be wanting for JV to win so he can do a duo with Miss Minogue for a double No 1

Simon
Old 31 Aug 2000, 22:52 (Ref:34300)   #8
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Mika dull? ".....uh.....um.....mmmm.....Yes."

But does Ron Dennis choose pilots for their dullness? Hardly!

Of course, F1 is not rigged, is it, Bernie? That's why Ferrari was crowned WDC for 2000 earlier this year, and in th eofficial program of the Belgian Grand Prix, TGF was given one extra race win? Because it's NOT fixed?

If the Cranky One wins the WDC this year it will because Bernie has been taken home by his People or there are no Ferraris on the track.
Old 1 Sep 2000, 00:09 (Ref:34323)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
McLaren was from New Zealand

Bruce McLaren was a Kiwi. That's where Bernie got this idea of sheep from!!! He must think Ron Dennis also comes from New Zealand!!!
Old 1 Sep 2000, 08:58 (Ref:34372)   #10
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie really is an *******.
You can't just go around insulting people. I didn't have much respect for the guy to begin with but now I have none. Let's have a real conspiracy now, to get rid of Bernie. I don't really mind violence anymore.
Old 1 Sep 2000, 10:55 (Ref:34390)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
OK Toth. Let's find another friendly looking dog who will sidle up to Bernie and bite his nose again.
Old 1 Sep 2000, 13:12 (Ref:34400)   #12
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am I mistaken?

I thought Ron was from New Zealand?????
Old 1 Sep 2000, 20:12 (Ref:34441)   #13
Roy2
Racer

Roy2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From deep personal knowledge of Hakkinen, gained through watching scads of 30 second post-race interviews, I can definitively pronounce that Mika Hakkinen is not dull, or cranky. He usually has an impish grin on his face, fields those inept questions in an amusing but kindly way, finally, after waiting long enough to make everyone squirm. The way he refers to MS as "the Michael" breaks me up. An altogether likeable, witty, decent bloke.

Now if you want dull, remember Juan Fangio. Not much to say to people he didn't know, whether competitors, press, or fans. Kept his opinions to himself, wouldn't say boo about anyone. Middle-aged, a bit paunchy, "the old man" was towed around everywhere by his "old lady", who was more than enough to scare off any would-be trophy hunters.

Hakkinen is Robin Williams compared to Fangio, but in these "let you entertain me" times he is damned as dull. Nothing could matter less.
Old 1 Sep 2000, 20:55 (Ref:34451)   #14
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roy2 has a point. Nobody who was a Niki Lauda fan much cared that his public personna was zilch, and he cared even less.

It's just lately that we demand our athletes and heroes be entertaining and charming; never mind that a driver in a post race interview is sitting in a pool of his own sweat and sticky champaigne. Anyone who has raced knows the emotional, nervous "high" that follows the end of a race. I am amazed that the drivers respond at all, especially in a language that is not their own. I think they, including Mika, do a damn good job.
Old 2 Sep 2000, 00:46 (Ref:34505)   #15
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good points, Neil. I suppose it's all the concentration on selling themselves (to sponsors, to fans, and according to Bernie, to Bernie) that has made it necessary for everyone to be a comedian on the podium. Maybe they should just say what they really think a few times and then the questions would lessen ... or Bernie would pronounce, like he did about Jacques, that they have TOO MUCH personality and should shut up already.

Old 2 Sep 2000, 01:15 (Ref:34513)   #16
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well put, Neil and Roy.
I 've never found him dull-dry perhaps, but not dull.

Ultimately what matters is what he does with the car, and should he win this season then he will be in some rarefied company-and no matter how good the McLaren may be or may have been, its the wry Finn who brought home the trophies
Old 2 Sep 2000, 02:52 (Ref:34515)   #17
Unknown Soldier
Racer

Unknown Soldier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ultimately what matters is what he does with the car
Yup, well said.

As for Bernie saying that Mika has no personality. The Big E should take a look in the mirror at someone with no personality

Old 2 Sep 2000, 03:13 (Ref:34518)   #18
Mr.S
Racer

Mr.S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where did all this Mika support come from? Anyway I'm glad it's here! The post race conferences before Mika started winning again were dull but after he got back on form they really improved. I like the way he and "the Michael" talk; they seem to have respect for each other, which is really nice I think.