Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 20 Jun 2001, 11:10 (Ref:107290)   #1
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve Bell - RIP

terrible news.

Mini racer Steve Bell was killed whilst racing in the Mini Miglia championship at Silverstone last weekend. Also another driver - Daniel Eady was seriously injured in the same accident.
Old 20 Jun 2001, 12:11 (Ref:107331)   #2
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris and I found out about this on Monday, and it came as a huge shock I don't know any details about what happened, but Dan Eady is in a controlled coma, and making some progress. All my thoughts, prayers and best wishes go out to both sets of family and friends

Last edited by Maisie; 20 Jun 2001 at 12:13.
Old 20 Jun 2001, 12:31 (Ref:107343)   #3
NICKR
Rookie

NICKR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My thoughts go out to all those who know the drivers involved.

And also to all members of the Mini 7 Racing Club who are such a close-knit group of people.

I travelled the country with the club a few years ago and am saddened by this news.

One thing is for sure, Steve died doing something he has loved doing for a great deal of time.

Does anyone know how this tragedy occurred ?
Old 20 Jun 2001, 15:56 (Ref:107443)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
This is tragic, tragic news. I thought it bad enough that we lost young Nic Fairman at Mallory Park recently, but to lose another driver in such a short space of time is horrendous. Losing anyone at anytime is bad enough, but coming so close to Nic's loss makes it even harder to accept.

By the cruelist or ironies, Steve's funeral will take place a little over a week later than Nic's; in the exact same town. We must be doing something wrong here

This is not the time or place to speculate on what happened, there is an investigation going on to decide that, but it seems that Steve Bell's car come together with Daniel Eady on the 7th lap, as they went through Woodcote, making heavy contact with the wall.

The meeting was immediately abandoned as Steve was taken to hospital by ambulance, and Daniel flown by air where he remains in a condition described as 'serious but stable.'

Our thoughts are with the families and friends of those involved, and we wish Daniel the best in his bid to recover from this.

RIP Steve.
Old 20 Jun 2001, 16:32 (Ref:107454)   #5
massifheed
Racer

massifheed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's hard to know what to post when these things happen. We all accept that there is always a risk and that motorsport is dangerous, but it is always a shock when you get this kind of news.

It seems that just as the motorsport world gets complacent and assumes bad crashes are a thing of the past something bad happens, and we get hit twice in as many weeks.

I never know what to think, whether there is an element of risk that you just can't plan for, or whether we should constantly strive to acheive safer racing in every aspect. Just as you think the sport is at it's safest, and the governing bodies can do no more, we get a crash which, in slightly different circumstances, could have had the driver walk away.

I guess you could spend hours on "what if's", you could change it all so that particular incident could not happen again, but then something else would happen to make you realise all the other elements that you are forgetting.

In the end I guess all we can really do is give the guys that race a bit more respect, and those of us that race, treat the whole game itself with a bit more respect.
Old 20 Jun 2001, 17:01 (Ref:107464)   #6
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Lee Purnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This really is very sad news.
I chose not to comment on the tragic death of Nic Fairman because of the fact I had no idea what to say.
But to loose another driver in such a short time makes me feel very upset.
All my thoughts and prayers go out to all who have any connection with these trahic events.
And lets hope that Daniel Eady goes on to make a full recovery.
Old 20 Jun 2001, 17:10 (Ref:107466)   #7
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've visited the Mini Se7en homepage, Bill Sollis (president) is posting regular updates on the condition of Dan Eady. His last post suggestd there was some improvement in his condition.

He also gives Dan Eady's address, if anyone wishes to send cards. Plus also the name of the charity - Motorsport Safety Fund, for all those wishing to donate in Steve Bell's memory..

Sorry, no link. But I can find the details if anyone is interested.
Old 20 Jun 2001, 23:33 (Ref:107633)   #8
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Mini Seven's site is www.mini7.co.uk - follow the link to the Mini 7 Egroup to find the details Dan mentioned, but please respect the current silence on the egroup.
Old 21 Jun 2001, 00:06 (Ref:107643)   #9
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course we never know what to say. It's a tragedy beyond our normal level of comprehension, so much worse than a blown clutch or a dented car, so horrifying and irreversible that a broken limb or other lesser injury pales into insignificance.

I feel for those who have been deeply affected. There are no words that will lessen their grief.

I did start out to write a great deal more, but it was inappropriate to have all that in this thread, so I have started another thread, death and racing in Gravel Trap.
Old 21 Jun 2001, 02:54 (Ref:107671)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
When a professional dies in these circumstance we tend to think that although very sad its part of the job. When a club racer dies whilst having fun I think "there but for the grace of God".

I am very sad to read this thread so soon after Nic Fairman.

My thoughts go to Steve's family and friends.

To Dan Easby. I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.
Old 22 Jun 2001, 10:41 (Ref:108198)   #11
yelwoci
Racer

United Kingdom
London
yelwoci should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can only repeat that which has already been said and in particular Peter's.

IanC
Old 27 Jun 2001, 09:34 (Ref:110220)   #12
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
When a professional dies in these circumstance we tend to think that although very sad its part of the job. When a club racer dies whilst having fun I think "there but for the grace of God".

I am very sad to read this thread so soon after Nic Fairman.

My thoughts go to Steve's family and friends.

To Dan Easby. I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.
I echo your sentiments. Sincere condolences to all involved.
Old 27 Jun 2001, 17:31 (Ref:110351)   #13
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
My condolences go out to Steve's family and friends. This must be a very tough time for the Mini Seven club.

There is some good news in that Daniel Eady is apparently making some progress. He is now described as stable in his coma, and is off the ventilator. He is also apparently showing some responses to visitors.

I wish him a speedy recovery.
Old 12 Jul 2001, 20:03 (Ref:116277)   #14
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
As a mark of respect for Steve, competitors have raised the possibility of freezing the championship points as they were prior to his death at Silverstone last month. This would award the championship to him postumously - a gracious gesture for a man who was obviously held in very high regard by his competitors.

Although the move was approved by the majority of racers, it requires the approval of all competitors before it can be accepted. Championship rivals Chris Lewis, Phil Manser and Bill Sollis have withdrawn from the series as a mark of respect.
Old 12 Jul 2001, 23:07 (Ref:116359)   #15
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A fine gesture at that level of racing. Commendable!
Old 8 Aug 2011, 20:55 (Ref:2937396)   #16
spangal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Y View Post
My condolences go out to Steve's family and friends. This must be a very tough time for the Mini Seven club.

There is some good news in that Daniel Eady is apparently making some progress. He is now described as stable in his coma, and is off the ventilator. He is also apparently showing some responses to visitors.

I wish him a speedy recovery.
Hi thankyou for your kind words.I'm still in care in Claygate Surreyin a wheelchair,obviously can't walk from a brain injury.

Old 24 Feb 2013, 23:31 (Ref:3210211)   #17
mab01UK
Veteran

mab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some photos of my late brother Steve Bell in his Mini Se7en & Miglia.