Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 5 Sep 2020, 14:10 (Ref:4000256)   #2551
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Which brings me to another subject. I have two out of date helmets. Do I stick em on ebay with the usual caveats or do I bin them?
It maybe that one of the marshals groups or rally rescue units would take them for training purposes?
Old 5 Sep 2020, 14:19 (Ref:4000259)   #2552
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm thanks I'll give it a try.
Old 5 Sep 2020, 14:33 (Ref:4000261)   #2553
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PM'd you with a good cause - Cobalt Rescue:

www.rescueservicesrutland.co.uk
Old 5 Sep 2020, 14:39 (Ref:4000262)   #2554
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Got it. Ty.
Old 5 Sep 2020, 16:49 (Ref:4000283)   #2555
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Incidentally regarding crash helmets, some of the really expensive ones that are used for car racing are not legal for riding motorcycles on the road. Although I have used them for that purpose I was informed about this by a supplier.
I think ? that it's something to do with the aperture size however I would very much doubt that the "powers that be" that patrol the roads would do anything about it. But in a point of law an insurance company might "wriggle" out of a case as they often do on a technicality
I could use my very good quality car race one that cost a fortune and take a very slim chance of getting stopped, or I could get a £30 new one from Lidl that is passed for road use ! I know what I will do
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 5 Sep 2020, 16:59 (Ref:4000287)   #2556
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's right Gordon. Snell helmets are not homologated for road use. And it is indeed to do with the aperture size.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 5 Sep 2020, 17:36 (Ref:4000290)   #2557
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
And the rear of the neck.
Old 6 Sep 2020, 05:23 (Ref:4000349)   #2558
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
RIP Annie Cordy

Hope Léonie Cooreman who thoroughly spread joy on earth under the name of Annie Cordy will have Heaven singing dancing and laughing!
RIP Annie et merci pour tout !
Old 6 Sep 2020, 07:47 (Ref:4000360)   #2559
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Hope Léonie Cooreman who thoroughly spread joy on earth under the name of Annie Cordy will have Heaven singing dancing and laughing!
RIP Annie et merci pour tout !
I'll second that. She was before my time in France so never really knew her, but from the clips shown on the News yesterday she looked remarkable & so versatile. Obviously much loved.

RIP Annie.
Old 6 Sep 2020, 09:47 (Ref:4000377)   #2560
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We only travelled a few km's this morning en route to a Brocante, but on the way there we encountered a Club Alfa Nord group out on a run, with some very nice cars, including a Giulietta Spider, three Giulia Coupe's (two in rally spec), a GTV6, new Giulia etc. Lovely to see! As we were leaving the Brocante, a Gulf-liveried GT40 pulled up at our feet to ask directions. It then took off in a full-throated V8 roar. I have seen it before & it is a relica, but a very good one.

Yesterday we came across another classic run with several Traction Avant's, a Panhard, Citroen Tub etc.

Suddenly life seems a bit more normal!
Old 6 Sep 2020, 11:55 (Ref:4000393)   #2561
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
More than normal in Paris area, never seen so many classics in the streets since the virus…*There's one thing the bloomy thing can't kill: passion!
Old 6 Sep 2020, 13:43 (Ref:4000442)   #2562
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
More than normal in Paris area, never seen so many classics in the streets since the virus…*There's one thing the bloomy thing can't kill: passion!
I didn't think your mayor allowed such things as classics!
Old 6 Sep 2020, 13:59 (Ref:4000457)   #2563
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Knowing what's actually done for bicycles gives you an idea of how much crazy she is! They even closed rue de Rivoli. The traffic in Paris itself and other more or less close areas is an unprecedented nightmare. I'm sure pollution will reach unattempted levels very shortly.
Old 7 Sep 2020, 09:13 (Ref:4000708)   #2564
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Incidentally regarding crash helmets, some of the really expensive ones that are used for car racing are not legal for riding motorcycles on the road. Although I have used them for that purpose I was informed about this by a supplier.
I think ? that it's something to do with the aperture size however I would very much doubt that the "powers that be" that patrol the roads would do anything about it. But in a point of law an insurance company might "wriggle" out of a case as they often do on a technicality
I could use my very good quality car race one that cost a fortune and take a very slim chance of getting stopped, or I could get a £30 new one from Lidl that is passed for road use ! I know what I will do
I think they're designed/built differently for impact/road rash etc. bike helmets are often heavier
Old 7 Sep 2020, 09:16 (Ref:4000710)   #2565
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
My Bell helmet has gone back via Jason to manufacturers. The strap started to fray.
Old 7 Sep 2020, 09:41 (Ref:4000718)   #2566
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I think they're designed/built differently for impact/road rash etc. bike helmets are often heavier
But would a 30 quid Lidl one fare any better
It would be interesting to find out if anyone has ever been prosecuted for using one on a motorcycle on the road ? I'm sure it would be safer than a turban
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 Sep 2020, 10:32 (Ref:4000726)   #2567
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
The price reflects the quality in this matter. Mind you R&D aren't cheap tho. I ride with a Shoei because its light but from experience I know the Arai to be very safe and comfy, the best available IMO. The materials are different too, multi layers for japanese and some euro production, injected plastic for many others. I wouldn't buy a cheap helmet because I've only one head and, as you, would prefer to ride with a good car helmet than a 30 quid bike homologated crap. I pay much more for my gloves…
Old 7 Sep 2020, 10:34 (Ref:4000728)   #2568
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Ride with a turban means you already had an accident!
Old 7 Sep 2020, 10:45 (Ref:4000732)   #2569
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I've had Bell lids for years but my last one was crap so I got an AGV recently , which is lighter, quieter and more comfortable. funnnily enough similar to my first helmet my Dad gave me in 1987!

given some of the headwear I've seen scooterists and bikers wearing in recent years a turban is probably quite safe.
Attached Images

Old 7 Sep 2020, 11:27 (Ref:4000738)   #2570
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Main difference between a car helmet and motorcycle helmet are the following:

Vision, larger, higher and wider eyeport for motorcyles while smaller for cars, this being linked to intrusion most notably for cars and need of a larger view when riding due to the angles and movement of the head required say at a junction as well. Just like aerodynamic and ventilation are different for closed/open cars and use of certain stability or vent appendices.

Neck protection, they are different shells and due to the fact you have a seat and harness in a car, the movement in impact will be different just like the provisions for HANS devices and the lack of abrasion protection that comes taking into account that modern design are made to work with the lateral support provided in all modern day race cars be it a single seater or through modern seating and padding available.

As opposed, the neck will be freed on a motorcycle helmet as movement will be important in the event of a crash not to break the neck, hence why they end short on the back in order not to snap the spine as opposed to the car one, they are also more resistand due to abrasion need.

Last is the fire rating and "SA" rating which also come into play. Anyway, you only have one head, be it car, motorcycle or cycling, it does matter.
Old 7 Sep 2020, 14:20 (Ref:4000771)   #2571
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I've had Bell lids for years but my last one was crap so I got an AGV recently , which is lighter, quieter and more comfortable. funnnily enough similar to my first helmet my Dad gave me in 1987!
I remember my first helmet was a Buco open face but when it came to serious things, Suzie T20, I had an orange AGV! Agree with you, the new ones offer a lot of comfort and are quiet.
What I appreciate with japanese productions is that you can get parts to refurbish them and I love the photochromic screen of my Shoeï.
Old 7 Sep 2020, 14:31 (Ref:4000773)   #2572
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I was one of the first in our area in the UK to have a full face crash helmet in the mid 60s, it was a Bellstar that was quiet heavy and would put a strain on your neck if riding at 90 plus for miles sitting up, I didn't have clip-ons and rear-sets like some others
What amuses me is that race crash helmets have a life even if you never wore it and kept it in cotton wool in the dark, whereas a road one can get bashed about/dropped/and involved in a crash but there is no legislation for how long you can use it, the same with seat belts in cars that could easily be 50 years old.

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 7 Sep 2020 at 14:37.
Old 7 Sep 2020, 18:01 (Ref:4000800)   #2573
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Certainly they were heavy things but what an improvement compared to a Cromwell and Climax goggles! The damn thing can give you a headache without accident! And I bless the guy who invented the PinLock!
I decided to throw away a race helmet which was still in date, perspiring ruined the inside pads. Last time I wore it was at Silverstone. Difficult decision to take cose he brought many goods things. Driving mainly tin tops I've rather an open face than a full face helmet because of the heat and the better view they offer to the dash instruments for instance and door to door racing too.
Old 7 Sep 2020, 19:05 (Ref:4000810)   #2574
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I decided to throw away a race helmet which was still in date, perspiring ruined the inside pads.

Surely you mean you retired it to your museum?

Discarding a helmet with added DNA provenance would be to rob something of value from future generations of racing aficionados.
Old 8 Sep 2020, 03:39 (Ref:4000869)   #2575
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
You'll have a pay tons of $ to admire one part at NY museum, the other being studied by Nasa experts! To the bin I tell you, just removed the radio system. Good supporter of the business…