Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 17 Apr 2020, 17:13 (Ref:3971390)   #1301
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd go with the Standard Vanguard and Porsche 356.
Old 17 Apr 2020, 17:20 (Ref:3971393)   #1302
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Well I knew it's a Vanguard, but the front bumper on the other one looks like its either a two piece or it goes into a flat part at the top. I though that the bumper on a 356 was one that is the same dimension right across ? I may be wrong but I thought that they just used one of the VW bumpers. Seeing that this is a 50s picture ? I doubt if it would have been "customized"

PS having had another look I think that it looks like the number plate is probably fixed on the bumper ? so I'll go with a 356

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 17 Apr 2020 at 17:30.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 17 Apr 2020, 18:17 (Ref:3971398)   #1303
jcdeleted
Rookie

jcdeleted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Ok guys, who can identify these two cars ? they are a massive enlargement from an old negative. I have my own ideas but I just want some more input.
Mind you as I'm one of the "older brigade" on 10ths you youngsters would never have ever seen them in period Attachment 59805
Could it possibly be a Denzel? I vaguely remember seeing one in the dim and distant, and it looked rather like a somewhat deformed 356
Old 17 Apr 2020, 21:32 (Ref:3971420)   #1304
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdeleted View Post
Could it possibly be a Denzel? I vaguely remember seeing one in the dim and distant, and it looked rather like a somewhat deformed 356
Interesting I've never heard of one, however there are differences on the lower front panel and I'm pretty sure it's a 356
Click image for larger version

Name:	Denzel_1300S.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	59810
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 18 Apr 2020, 05:47 (Ref:3971494)   #1305
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
It’s a 356......

Nope, I’ve now been reliable informed by a 356 Expert that it’s a Denzel......

Last edited by Mike Bell; 18 Apr 2020 at 07:38.
Old 18 Apr 2020, 10:09 (Ref:3971512)   #1306
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As I understand it all Denzels were two seater sports cars, whereas the one in Gordon's picture clearly has a roof. Also while the original image is poor, there is a difference in that there is a black curved shape under the headlight that does not appear on the Denzel. I would hazard a guess at a VW.

Well nothing like being controversial.
Attached Thumbnails
car.jpg   denzel_vw_wd_9747-b.jpg   WD-Denzel-1300-Front.jpg  

Old 18 Apr 2020, 11:17 (Ref:3971518)   #1307
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I tend to agree and in doing so am going against the 356 guru....
Old 18 Apr 2020, 12:07 (Ref:3971520)   #1308
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Not sure its a roof more likely a hard top. As too 356's, a Notchback or better a white Carrera 2 could be my favorite. If only…
Old 18 Apr 2020, 14:05 (Ref:3971539)   #1309
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Not sure its a roof more likely a hard top. As too 356's, a Notchback or better a white Carrera 2 could be my favorite. If only…
Gordon does not tell us where the picture was taken, but the Vanguard suggests England, and the chances of something rare/exotic being parked in the same street as a Standard is pretty small. One assumes the picture is quite old (Vanguards were produced up to 1974), and Denzels ceased production in 1960. I did see a picture of a VW coupe that looked similar to the car shown, but have been unable to find it again.

Who cares anyway
Old 18 Apr 2020, 16:32 (Ref:3971554)   #1310
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
. One assumes the picture is quite old (Vanguards were produced up to 1974), and Denzels ceased production in 1960. I did see a picture of a VW coupe that looked similar to the car shown, but have been unable to find it again.

Who cares anyway
Out of interest:1960–1963 9953 made Standard Vanguard Production 1960–1963 - 9953 made. So that pic could realistically be anytime in the 60s.
Old 18 Apr 2020, 16:33 (Ref:3971555)   #1311
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!

Name:	KC Special.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	59839.
Thought I would post this picture. This car is my life saver at moment as its a full rebuild and owner wants me to finish ASAP.I am posting as we thought the wings were of a Vanguard. Turns out after lots of research they are from a 1948 Vauxhall 1800. The engine in the car is a TR2 mated to MG gearbox.We think most of the running gear is off the Vauxhall. When this car turned up at workshop a few months ago I let out a gasp as I had no interest in the project at all. I am now really enjoying the work. Hope to drive her up the road next week then she can go to the paint shop and trimmers.
BTW its called a KC Special built in Wimbledon in the early 50's. Now who lives in Wimbledon and would want this car restored.?
Old 18 Apr 2020, 16:37 (Ref:3971556)   #1312
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great looking vehicle there Iain. Must be interesting since it's a one off so no Haynes Manual look up. I notice you must be in Australia because the pic is the right way up.
Old 18 Apr 2020, 17:17 (Ref:3971558)   #1313
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Out of interest:1960–1963 9953 made Standard Vanguard Production 1960–1963 - 9953 made. So that pic could realistically be anytime in the 60s.
Actually Peter, I think that is a 1950's Vanguard - the 1960's versions (there were two) were quite different & more modern-looking. It was eventually replaced by the Triumph 2000.
Old 18 Apr 2020, 18:05 (Ref:3971564)   #1314
bauble
Veteran

England
And that is Jim Wooley's Austin Westminster in the background.
Old 18 Apr 2020, 18:39 (Ref:3971568)   #1315
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

On yer bike...!
Old 18 Apr 2020, 19:33 (Ref:3971577)   #1316
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Attachment 59839.

. Now who lives in Wimbledon and would want this car restored.?
Great Uncle Bulgaria womble?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 18 Apr 2020, 20:03 (Ref:3971583)   #1317
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Well I knew it's a Vanguard, but the front bumper on the other one looks like its either a two piece or it goes into a flat part at the top. I though that the bumper on a 356 was one that is the same dimension right across ? I may be wrong but I thought that they just used one of the VW bumpers. Seeing that this is a 50s picture ? I doubt if it would have been "customized"

PS having had another look I think that it looks like the number plate is probably fixed on the bumper ? so I'll go with a 356

Rear view of a 365 Roadster with a hardtop. (Or might just look like a hardtop for some reason in the photo but really a soft top).
Old 18 Apr 2020, 20:04 (Ref:3971584)   #1318
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Attachment 59839.
Thought I would post this picture. This car is my life saver at moment as its a full rebuild and owner wants me to finish ASAP.I am posting as we thought the wings were of a Vanguard. Turns out after lots of research they are from a 1948 Vauxhall 1800. The engine in the car is a TR2 mated to MG gearbox.We think most of the running gear is off the Vauxhall. When this car turned up at workshop a few months ago I let out a gasp as I had no interest in the project at all. I am now really enjoying the work. Hope to drive her up the road next week then she can go to the paint shop and trimmers.
BTW its called a KC Special built in Wimbledon in the early 50's. Now who lives in Wimbledon and would want this car restored.?
Somebody whos' first name begins with 'D' & second name ends with an 'I'?
Old 18 Apr 2020, 21:29 (Ref:3971595)   #1319
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Gordon does not tell us where the picture was taken, but the Vanguard suggests England, and the chances of something rare/exotic being parked in the same street as a Standard is pretty small. One assumes the picture is quite old (Vanguards were produced up to 1974), and Denzels ceased production in 1960. I did see a picture of a VW coupe that looked similar to the car shown, but have been unable to find it again.

Who cares anyway
The picture that this huge enlargement comes from is one that I put on a web page that I am an administrator of for our local community in the UK.
It would have been taken in the 50s because of certain alterations to buildings in the complete picture
Old 18 Apr 2020, 21:37 (Ref:3971596)   #1320
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Attachment 59839.
This is interesting Iain !https://barnfinds.com/unique-british...53-kc-special/ It's got to be the same car that you have looking at the picture.

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 18 Apr 2020 at 21:43.
Old 19 Apr 2020, 00:56 (Ref:3971611)   #1321
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Gordon does not tell us where the picture was taken, but the Vanguard suggests England, and the chances of something rare/exotic being parked in the same street as a Standard is pretty small. One assumes the picture is quite old (Vanguards were produced up to 1974), and Denzels ceased production in 1960.

Standards (!) are slipping, Sir Bauble - that model of Vanguard was certainly not produced up to 74...possibly into the early 60s, but my memory would suggest late 50s.....although of course the car could still be in existence.....but if the reg number is XPA544 which is what it seems to me, it's long gone.
Old 19 Apr 2020, 06:39 (Ref:3971639)   #1322
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
To be pedantic it is the Westminster that belonged to the late Jim Woodley. Now owned by someone else......
Old 19 Apr 2020, 06:44 (Ref:3971640)   #1323
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
You beat me Mike .Jims family have said I can keep the Westminster as they knew how much I loved racing the car with Jim .
Old 19 Apr 2020, 06:52 (Ref:3971641)   #1324
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
You beat me Mike .Jims family have said I can keep the Westminster as they knew how much I loved racing the car with Jim .
Never has a car gone to a more deserving new owner!
Old 19 Apr 2020, 07:26 (Ref:3971642)   #1325
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Attachment 59839.
The wings and radiator grille too by the looks of it are fron a Wyvern/Velox like the one below.

Name:	vauxhall_wyvern_velox.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	59852