Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 6 Jun 2008, 08:00 (Ref:2221068)   #1
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
BMW leaving WTCC??!!

From murphythebear.com (sportscar rumours blog)
Quote:
Farewell to Touring
A famous WTCC program will be gone in 2009, replaced with GT2. Factory drivers currently occupied in the touring car championship will be on-track in a sports car event before the end of this year.
He mentions earlier that the new BMW M3 GTR will probably have its first outing at the Laguna Seca ALMS round...

Could WTCC survive without BMW??
Old 6 Jun 2008, 08:28 (Ref:2221081)   #2
Valenok
Racer

Valenok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think, it's joke, or attempt to press Lotti and other bosses.
It's unbelievable that european program (WTCC) can be replaced by american program (ALMS). May be BMW will less support their WTCC-teams, and they would have to find new drivers and new funding? And we'll see less BMW factory cars?
Old 6 Jun 2008, 08:46 (Ref:2221094)   #3
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenok
It's unbelievable that european program (WTCC) can be replaced by american program (ALMS). May be BMW will less support their WTCC-teams, and they would have to find new drivers and new funding? And we'll see less BMW factory cars?
They could race it in FIA GT, LMS and VLN as well, so a European branch of the GT2 programm seems possible as well.

Would be a shame to see BMW leave touring car racing after all those years.
Old 6 Jun 2008, 08:50 (Ref:2221096)   #4
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Is there any backup for this rumour anywhere? Or is it just random "I've got an idea" stuff from the site owner? Does the site have any credibility as a source?

I can do this too: BMW will quit WTCC and join the DTM under the new regs to take on Audi and Mercedes. Easy this rumour business isn't it?
Old 6 Jun 2008, 08:58 (Ref:2221106)   #5
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenok
That's an interesting thought- They could well be using this as leverage to try and get some rule breaks against the diesels. BMW have been willing to fight on more than one front in the past, and the M3 GT programmes were always predominantly US-based.

On the other hand, if they can persuade the ACO in Europe to look kindly on the M3 as a GT2 car (Sure I've read somewhere recently that the ACO aren't keen on the idea of the M3 appearing at Le Mans, they regard it as more of a touring car than a legitimate GT- the ALMS doesn't seem to have have the same problem with it....), then maybe a move over to GT racing could be seen as a worthwhile substitute for WTCC....

Would competing against Porsche and Ferrari in GT2 in ALMS, LMS and at Le Mans be better for BMW in marketing terms than competing against small/mid size hatchbacks from Chevrolet and SEAT in the WTCC?
Old 6 Jun 2008, 09:05 (Ref:2221115)   #6
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
Is there any backup for this rumour anywhere? Or is it just random "I've got an idea" stuff from the site owner? Does the site have any credibility as a source?

I can do this too: BMW will quit WTCC and join the DTM under the new regs to take on Audi and Mercedes. Easy this rumour business isn't it?
Anything posted on 'Murphy' tends to be taken pretty seriously by the ALMS fanbase- Yes, sometimes he has been wrong, but....

Link to the piece in question
http://murphythebear.com/blog/2008/0...-and-salzburg/
Old 6 Jun 2008, 09:06 (Ref:2221116)   #7
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2

As I wrote it is a rumours blog, so he writes what he hears in the paddock, but when it comes to the ALMS or Le Mans he seems to be right more often than wrong.

I can easily see BMW being fed up with the rules-chaos in WTCC at the moment, whereas ACO-style GT-racing offers considerably more rules stability.

Edit: reading it again, he could of course mean that only the Schnitzer programm is gone from WTCC and Andy Priaulx team will stay there. Which however would be odd, as Rahal-Letterman racing is going to run the M3 in ALMS. So if that assumption is right maybe Schnitzer will run the car in Europe or they'll have two ALMS-teams...

Last edited by Speed-King; 6 Jun 2008 at 09:09.
Old 6 Jun 2008, 09:12 (Ref:2221121)   #8
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
. So if that assumption is right maybe Schnitzer will run the car in Europe or they'll have two ALMS-teams...
They've certainly done that before- the E46 M3 V8 programme in 2001 was spread over two teams- Schnitzer and PTG
Old 6 Jun 2008, 09:57 (Ref:2221150)   #9
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think this is a "see first, then believe" one.
Old 6 Jun 2008, 10:12 (Ref:2221167)   #10
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW has long ago stated that it was interested/working on a GT2-car. That's no surprise, since BMW is in the business of selling not only road-cars, but also racingcars. If you built a good GT2-car, you can sell quite a few: they can be raced in LMS, ALMS, FIA-GT, French GT, Italian GT, and maybe some more championships. And if they become old, you can sell them to teams that want to run Britcar, Dutch Supercar Challenge and that kind of series.
But the same goes for S2000, BMW makes money on every S2000-car they built. And they sell a lot! Just look at the independentscup in the WTCC, and the other S2000-championships. I don't know if they completely make up for the developmentcosts, but still. That's why I don't think they will pull out of the WTCC completely. They must built competetive S2000-cars for their customers, being either professional touringcarteams that run in various championships or national BMW-importers that want to show a racing BMW in their own country. That's harder with a GT-car, since there are less of those championships, and importers might be more interested in marketing the normal versions instead of the very expensive and thus less selling M3. But I can see them cutting back factoryeforts to maybe 3 cars.
Old 6 Jun 2008, 10:12 (Ref:2221168)   #11
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
doublepost
Old 6 Jun 2008, 15:07 (Ref:2221354)   #12
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner
That's harder with a GT-car, since there are less of those championships, and importers might be more interested in marketing the normal versions instead of the very expensive and thus less selling M3.
Porsche sold more then 30 2008 spec GT2 car this year and Ferrari/Michelotto almost 20 of the latest 430 GTC. Those numbers are comparable, maybe even higher, to the sale of the E90 WTCC car.
Old 6 Jun 2008, 17:06 (Ref:2221418)   #13
BMW Süchtige
Rookie

European Union
BMW Süchtige is a back marker
It seems to me that the WTCC dosen't want BMW to stay.... so why stay...
Old 6 Jun 2008, 18:50 (Ref:2221478)   #14
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How could the WTCC continue without Alfa and now BMW?

Fields already look thin and faintly rediculous with so many cars from the same manufactuers.

Is S2000 here to stay?

Last edited by JAG; 6 Jun 2008 at 18:57.
Old 6 Jun 2008, 21:48 (Ref:2221583)   #15
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
Porsche sold more then 30 2008 spec GT2 car this year and Ferrari/Michelotto almost 20 of the latest 430 GTC. Those numbers are comparable, maybe even higher, to the sale of the E90 WTCC car.
I mean that BMW sells (much) more 320's than M3's for on the road. A BMW-importer who wants to promote his cars by racing one or two in it's home-country might want to promote the 320 more, since it's more important for his financial results. Add to that the fact that in a lot of countries that have an S2000-championship but no GT2-championship, there is no choise. For those importers it's important that BMW keeps building S2000-cars.
Old 6 Jun 2008, 21:55 (Ref:2221584)   #16
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you think its possible that BMW may move their works teams over to GT racing and keep the 320 running in S2000 championships on a customer basis?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 7 Jun 2008, 00:12 (Ref:2221654)   #17
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt
Do you think its possible that BMW may move their works teams over to GT racing and keep the 320 running in S2000 championships on a customer basis?
If the respective sanctioning bodies keep them competitive by giving them handouts the current 320 can be competitive for another couple of years.
Old 7 Jun 2008, 14:45 (Ref:2221930)   #18
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Rahal Letterman Racing will enter the BMWs in ALMS. So far there's no mentioning of plans to enter the GT2 in Europe. If the GT2 will be entered only in ALMS I don't think BMW will leave WTCC.
Old 7 Jun 2008, 15:39 (Ref:2221967)   #19
Andrei
Rookie

Romania
Germany
Andrei should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I do not really believe that BMW is going to go away from WTCC but they are definitely looking more close to GT racing.
BMW Alpina is returning to racing in GT3 and I do not really think that they are without factory support.
If you are also looking for a job there...
http://www.alpina-automobiles.com/en...orsport-1.html
Old 7 Jun 2008, 16:32 (Ref:2221998)   #20
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Alpina is an independent car manufacaturer. They don't use the name BMW.
Old 7 Jun 2008, 19:43 (Ref:2222108)   #21
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Alpina is an independent car manufacaturer. They don't use the name BMW.
They do have a very good relationship with BMW though, IIRC the Alpina B5 is built on the same production line as the BMW M5s and 5-Series.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 7 Jun 2008, 19:43 (Ref:2222109)   #22
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
They do in the link in Andrei's post. Maybe they need to include the BMW's to reach the minimum number of cars that has to be produced to be homologated? Anyway it's a great looking car. I doubt there is much BMW-input in this project, because as FIRE write's, Alpina is an independent company that happens to use a lot of BMW-parts.
Old 7 Jun 2008, 19:47 (Ref:2222111)   #23
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Rahal Letterman Racing will enter the BMWs in ALMS. So far there's no mentioning of plans to enter the GT2 in Europe. If the GT2 will be entered only in ALMS I don't think BMW will leave WTCC.
So they built the cars in Germany, to ship them to the USA? Or does R-L built the cars themselves and races them, with the bills send to Munich? If they built the cars in Germany for R-L, I see no reason why they won't built cars for anyone who wants to pay for them. But still, without a factory or semifactoryeffort in FIA-GT or LMS, I don't see them getting out of WTCC.
Old 7 Jun 2008, 21:02 (Ref:2222142)   #24
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
BMW Motorsport (Munich) will built the cars. BMWs WTCC factory drivers will do testing. According rumours (in 2007) there were disagreements between BMW Motorsport and BMW North America about who should pay the development costs. BMW NA wanted only pay the running costs.

Last edited by FIRE; 7 Jun 2008 at 21:07.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 13:33 (Ref:2286486)   #25
Speed-King
Veteran

In the most recent issue of Motorsport aktuell there's an article about BMW's WTCC-plans. It will be decided within the next two weeks if BMW will remain in WTCC, the most important argument against doing so is appearantly that the other brands in WTCC are no rivals for BMW when it comes to selling cars.

Tags
wtcc