Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 3 Oct 2008, 07:14 (Ref:2303228)   #51
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1
i know that it certainly isnt going to be the 500 cup, or Club F3, or Sportmaxx
Fiesta's or some other Ford saloon car series ?
Old 3 Oct 2008, 08:42 (Ref:2303276)   #52
BeeJ
Racer

England
Coventry UK
BeeJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The big rumours I have heard in the Paddock say it is Ginnetta G50's. To me that will be like the Porsches :-( I hope this is one rumour that isnt true. Hopefully if there is a new manufacturer coming into BTCC they will bring a support series. Or why not run the old production class as a separate race, that would be a relevent feeder series.
Old 3 Oct 2008, 09:47 (Ref:2303327)   #53
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeJ
The big rumours I have heard in the Paddock say it is Ginnetta G50's. To me that will be like the Porsches :-( I hope this is one rumour that isnt true. Hopefully if there is a new manufacturer coming into BTCC they will bring a support series. Or why not run the old production class as a separate race, that would be a relevent feeder series.
A Production class sounds like a simple, logical, proven and practical idea - so there must be something wrong with the idea that I've overlooked. Other than TOCA not receiving a fee from a manufacturer, it has to be the best option. Cars readily available, some commercial merit for the constructors, and a great proving ground for drivers and teams.
Old 3 Oct 2008, 16:21 (Ref:2303525)   #54
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What rules would this Production Class have though? Superproduction? Super 1600? Swedish JTCC? SportMax?
Old 5 Oct 2008, 10:34 (Ref:2304582)   #55
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
A Production class sounds like a simple, logical, proven and practical idea - so there must be something wrong with the idea that I've overlooked. Other than TOCA not receiving a fee from a manufacturer, it has to be the best option. Cars readily available, some commercial merit for the constructors, and a great proving ground for drivers and teams.
Well the big problem, as you say, would be that there is no manufacturer to pay for it, so the entry fees from drivers would be sky high.

Also, the Dunlop Sportmaxx Cup fills that role already.
Old 5 Oct 2008, 11:09 (Ref:2304598)   #56
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic
Well the big problem, as you say, would be that there is no manufacturer to pay for it, so the entry fees from drivers would be sky high.
JTCC in Sweden doesnt have 1 manufacturer support, and looking and the grid sizes I assume the fee is far from sky high.
Old 5 Oct 2008, 12:56 (Ref:2304646)   #57
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Im surprised its not Sportmaxx considering its advertised as being a BTCC stepping stone for drivers.
Old 5 Oct 2008, 14:26 (Ref:2304688)   #58
DriversKnow
Racer

European Union
Staffordshire
DriversKnow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux
Im surprised its not Sportmaxx considering its advertised as being a BTCC stepping stone for drivers.
Well, it isn't the Sport Maxx Cup, although this will adopt a BTCC style format as one of the headline acts on the Dunlop Great and British Package

2009 Dunlop Sport Maxx Cup plans unveiled
• BTCC style triple-header format
• Enhanced Television Package
• One of the headline acts on the revamped Dunlop Great and British promoted package
• Six race weekends to reduce travel costs
• Online Promotion and web tv for members of www.DunlopDriversClub.co.uk
28th September 2008. Today, Dunlop unveiled the plans for the second championship season of the BARC/Dunlop Sport Maxx Cup. This year, the production saloon and sportscar championship has grown in size and established itself as a ‘junior touring car’ championship with close racing across three classes
The 2009 championship will be enhanced by an improved TV broadcast package, featuring more in-car action, and a new format replicating the triple-header sprint race format that has made the Dunlop supported British Touring Car Championship so popular with fans.
Dunlop’s James Bailey stated: “It is important that we maximise track time, but also ensure that costs are contained. Therefore, the 2009 Dunlop Sport Maxx Cup will be compressed into six action-packed weekends at top UK circuits, but with a triple header format spread over two days. It is another BTCC innovation that we are applying to the Cup, following on from the introduction of success ballast which has helped ensure that a diverse range of cars as varied as the Renault Megane and Clio, Seat Leon,Vauxhall Astra and Corsa, VW Lupo, Alfa 147 and Mini have topped the podium in their classes this year”
Fridays will involve a trackday that will allow competitors to give their sponsors a memorable ride (or drive) in the Dunlop Sport Maxx Cup race cars.
“2009 will be a big year for the Dunlop Great and British Festivals, with new championships and guest races expected to join the package and the circuits promoting the racing alongside a series of Mini 50th birthday parties, which aim to bring new fans through the gates” added Bailey.
PROVISIONAL CALENDAR:
APRIL 18/19 ROCKINGHAM
JUNE 6/7 BRANDS HATCH
JULY 4/5 DONINGTON PARK
JULY 18/19 CASTLE COMBE
AUGUST 22/23 CROFT
SEPT 12/13 SNETTERTON
COMPETITOR INFORMATION: Nicola Bush at BARC 01264 882200 MEDIA INFORMATION: JAMES BAILEY 07770 682413
Old 10 Oct 2008, 20:08 (Ref:2308622)   #59
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new series is confirmed! it is..............................

Ginetta G50's

http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews...24cb788e81a801
Old 10 Oct 2008, 20:35 (Ref:2308638)   #60
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They were a bit "samey" when at Knockhill with the BritGTs this year.

With the BTCC they will certainly be different from the other series which I suppose is the plan.
Old 10 Oct 2008, 20:52 (Ref:2308653)   #61
Aunt Sally
Veteran

Aunt Sally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan
They were a bit "samey" when at Knockhill with the BritGTs this year.

With the BTCC they will certainly be different from the other series which I suppose is the plan.
Yes.. but now they are on the TOCA package. How is the GT championship going to survive without them boosting the numbers?
Old 10 Oct 2008, 21:35 (Ref:2308671)   #62
c8nay
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent, England
c8nay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Mitsubishi are weighing up their options with what to do with the new Lancer after they ran in the Britcar 24hrs race, maybe they will look towards the BTCC and bring their 'planned' Lancer Evo one make series with it as a support series in the next few years. Possibly....
Old 11 Oct 2008, 13:56 (Ref:2309140)   #63
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sally
Yes.. but now they are on the TOCA package. How is the GT championship going to survive without them boosting the numbers?
I doubt if there will be a significant affect on British GTs as a result of the Ginetta G50 Cup's defection to the TOCA package. Ultimately, the regulations for the G50 Cup and British GT4 are different and certainly over this season there hasn't been a great deal of cross over between the two championships.
Old 11 Oct 2008, 17:25 (Ref:2309205)   #64
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
According to Ginetta it possible to convert one in to the other rather quickly, but I'm not so sure.
Old 11 Oct 2008, 17:56 (Ref:2309218)   #65
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When i saw the GTs at Brands at least 2 of the 5 ginettas in GT4 were also out in the cup as well, the only difference really is i believe a higher base weight in GT4.
Simon
Old 11 Oct 2008, 18:58 (Ref:2309247)   #66
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Is the Ginetta still allowed in GT4? For example in the European GT4 series and the new Dutch series it isn't.
Old 11 Oct 2008, 19:04 (Ref:2309250)   #67
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowen250
When i saw the GTs at Brands at least 2 of the 5 ginettas in GT4 were also out in the cup as well, the only difference really is i believe a higher base weight in GT4.
Whilst it is true that a couple of drivers have across the year used the same car for G50 and British GT races - Nigel Moore at Brands springs to mind - this hasn't happened on a regular basis throughout the year. I think the main problem is that altering the weight levels during a meeting to meet both sets of regulations is prohibitive. I believe Nigel Moore's car at Brands ran to GT4 regulations in both British GTs and G50s. I guess the point to make is that it is unlikely that either the G50 Cup or British GT will be significantly adversely affected by the fact that they will no longer be racing on the same package.
Old 11 Oct 2008, 19:36 (Ref:2309274)   #68
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats correct Kipper it did indeed run to GT4 regs in both races, and i believe on the sunday he still won the cup race!
And i believe they are still eligable for BGT GT4, despite them being too quick and effectively ruining the category.
Simon
Old 11 Oct 2008, 22:39 (Ref:2309388)   #69
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper
Whilst it is true that a couple of drivers have across the year used the same car for G50 and British GT races - Nigel Moore at Brands springs to mind - this hasn't happened on a regular basis throughout the year. I think the main problem is that altering the weight levels during a meeting to meet both sets of regulations is prohibitive. I believe Nigel Moore's car at Brands ran to GT4 regulations in both British GTs and G50s. I guess the point to make is that it is unlikely that either the G50 Cup or British GT will be significantly adversely affected by the fact that they will no longer be racing on the same package.
If British GT is sensible and doesn't organise races clashing with the BTCC calendar, then it may be more likely that G50s race in both championships.
Old 12 Oct 2008, 03:36 (Ref:2309524)   #70
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is very unlikely. SRO have stated they 'couldn't care less' if they clash with BTCC weekends, despite the fact they would have more media coverage and help the people involved in both packages if they didn't clash.