Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 28 Oct 2015, 08:16 (Ref:3586135)   #51
Speedy norm
Racer

Speedy norm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting to read your comments from the other side of the armco. My views were those of a spectator. But do have some experience of locals. Usually very friendly and welcoming but give some of them a job with a badge and they become jobsworths, rules get changed every day.

Poss if Masters took it back it may provide stability?
Old 28 Oct 2015, 11:23 (Ref:3586170)   #52
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The problem is with the owners

They have a major facility where income will not cover costs.

If Peter Auto as far as competitors are concerned cannot make it work nobody can .

They are the leading organisers in Europe
Old 29 Oct 2015, 08:43 (Ref:3586349)   #53
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
The problem is with the owners. They have a major facility where income will not cover costs.
I'm sure that's correct John, owners being the Portugese government? Probably explains the double booking, but not the way security is handled at the facility. Silverstone Classic realised the error of their ways and changed staff / sub-contractors, should be possible for AIA to do the same without any increase in cost. Or is it a mind set problem?

Anyway, down to 'my' attempt at racing at the circuit this time....

Lack of regular co-pilot and desire to race again at the meeting prompted a Grantura owner to offer me a share of the GTSCC race. Offer promptly accepted with much gratitude. The car is always beautifully prepared and quick, so was eager to see 'what it would do' in Thursday free practice. However, on the way to sctuneering bay, the engine decided to start pumping oil onto the paddock Tarmac. Turned out to be fracture in an oil temp adaptor in the block, so this was discarded and hole blanked off. Relieved it happened then, not on track.

To free practice- I spun on second lap, so you could say found out quickly what the trevor would do...... Short wheelbase and IRS produce different handling to most cars am used to. Anyway, out again Friday morning and no spins this time, although was finding the 3 synchro MGB box lacking the synchro it should have, so was having to be very slow changing gears. The owner seemed to cope OK, so more practice needed.

Qualifying was wet. Owner went out to set a time, as more likely to be quick in his car in conditions I had not experienced before. At driver change, we tried AFAYC technique practiced afternoon before. Less than 30 secs, so happy with that. Did couple of steady laps to get feel of car in the wet, and found much more predictable than expected, as rear dampers softened right off. Going down straight on next lap, heard and felt something hit the car underside, then bit further on, felt another knock. Few corners further on, I almost spun, and although wet, something was wrong. At this time all gauges were reading normal, so slowed to return to pits. Then couple of corners away, oil pressure gauge dropped to zero. So near spin possibly my oil on tyres.... Switched off and coasted off line as much as possible down hill and just made pit entrance. Session then red flagged due to oil trail- very embarrassed as never been the cause of a session having to be stopped before.

Dipstick showed no oil in engine. Further inspection found oil cooler line with damage, allowing oil to escape. (Downstream from gauge, hence oil pressure until no oil.) Still puzzled as to what could have caused this, I suspected something had come off front of car and hit it, but all looked OK. THEN, it was noticed that the special crankshaft pulley was not complete any more. It is a US made item called a 'rattler' using moving weights for balance. Most of the components were now missing! So mystery solved, the oil pipe was in the line of fire for escaping steel parts....

Co-incidentally, both the engine builder and the UK Importer for the pulley were at the meeting, so the latter was requested to inspect the pulley. Retaining bolts for the front cover sheared, apparently. So, will be interesting to hear whether the owner gets a free engine rebuild- the lump and pulley were only one race old, and from inspection the crank got hot before I switched off. Have suggested a higher pressure oil pressure warning light sender and brighter light before car races again. In bad conditions the latter needs to dazzle the driver, who has enough to do keeping on track without staring at gauges constantly!

Disappointing end, apologies again to other competitors for the session needing to be stopped, and to the track crew that had to treat the oil trail. Reckon if had been dry, may have seen trail behind car, but in wet with spray no chance....