Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Oct 2015, 13:37 (Ref:3584746)   #1
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Walter Hayes Trophy, Silverstone 31st Oct/1st Nov 2015

Don't think this has a thread yet, apologies if so.

Entry list:

http://www.hscc.org.uk/images/Walter...y_List_W.O.pdf

Timetable:

http://www.hscc.org.uk/images/WHT15_...metable_v1.pdf
Old 23 Oct 2015, 12:33 (Ref:3584973)   #2
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Always a great meeting to round off the season. Just a shame the two scratch races don't attract bigger entries. They have the potential to be a great fun but in fact tend to be slightly disappointing.
Old 23 Oct 2015, 16:50 (Ref:3585018)   #3
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Delta's not in the entry list for the scratch race but I know he's entered. Maybe there are a few others.

The HSCC have got their usual Closed Wheel race but this year won't have an equivalent open wheel race. That's because the final round of the Historic FF2000 Championship has replaced it. Last year the open wheel race had 13 starters and we've currently got 19 FF2000s so hopefully that will provide a bit more entertainment. The championship is still undecided and if the last two rounds at Brands are anything to go by it could be good...
Old 29 Oct 2015, 08:39 (Ref:3586347)   #4
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great racing at Brands last weekend and a strong FFord Kent entry, so the WHT event looks very inviting this coming weekend even though I don't favour Silverstone as a spectator circuit. Weather looks half decent so I'll be there.
Old 29 Oct 2015, 13:09 (Ref:3586397)   #5
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Great racing at Brands last weekend and a strong FFord Kent entry, so the WHT event looks very inviting this coming weekend even though I don't favour Silverstone as a spectator circuit. Weather looks half decent so I'll be there.
I'd be interested but I won't bother with Silverstone. It's a terrible spectating circuit. Such a shame as I used to love going there in the seventies.
Old 29 Oct 2015, 13:33 (Ref:3586398)   #6
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Weather looks half decent so I'll be there.
That'll be a nice change. We had the usual WHT weather at the Birkett last week-end instead.
Old 29 Oct 2015, 22:34 (Ref:3586492)   #7
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
dikko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there (at Becketts) for the best racing, the best spectacle (30 cars four abreast???!!) at a great bend. Teas available all weekend at big white camper van. Call in! D

I'm the idiot leaping up & down BTW....
Old 30 Oct 2015, 08:03 (Ref:3586580)   #8
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've not been to Sillystone for 10 years, can you park near Becketts somewhere?
Old 30 Oct 2015, 08:31 (Ref:3586587)   #9
saaben
Rookie

saaben should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1982 was the last time I went to Silverstone.

Need a fix of good club racing to see me thro' the winter
months so I'll be there.

Reading the above posts, where now is the best place to view?
Old 30 Oct 2015, 08:32 (Ref:3586588)   #10
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Don't think so . The BRDC open up their stand up at brooklands . Great viewing from there
Old 30 Oct 2015, 09:02 (Ref:3586592)   #11
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Just worked out that the last time I was at Silverstone was for a British GT and F3 meeting when Paul Stewart had Kelvin Burt aboard and Win Percy raced a Harrier LM9 in the GT's! As with all of these things the years seem to have slipped away!
Needless to say nowadays I haven't a clue about spectating areas although the circuit's web page states that the BRDC and Woodcote B grandstands are freely accessible.
It's never been on my favourite list but I really appreciate the spectacle of a mass of FFord 1600's battling it out so I'll be making an early start tomorrow for the heats and HSCC races. Any further advice on viewing, parking, etc would be appreciated.
Old 30 Oct 2015, 10:19 (Ref:3586602)   #12
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can park in the paddock quite close to both BRDC and Becketts, both good places to watch (by Silverstone standards) but Becketts stand is not always open
Old 30 Oct 2015, 10:24 (Ref:3586606)   #13
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
You can park in the paddock quite close to both BRDC and Becketts, both good places to watch (by Silverstone standards) but Becketts stand is not always open
Is the paddock open to spectator parking? Is that the paddock on the inside at the back of the national pit lane? Sorry to be so thick but I haven'y been there for a long time.
Old 30 Oct 2015, 10:24 (Ref:3586607)   #14
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Car parking around the circuit depends on whether they are using the outside parks for spectators, or if they are allowing them in to the circuit. If the latter you can drive round the perimeter track and find parking almost anywhere, as not many do.
For most meetings at this level the grandstands are closed in the main.

Hope this helps, and I would expect cars can get in to the circuit.

Perhaps anyone who is there on Saturday can update the site?
Old 30 Oct 2015, 10:43 (Ref:3586614)   #15
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Thanks for that, much appreciated.
Old 30 Oct 2015, 10:59 (Ref:3586621)   #16
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
For any else enquiring about circuit parking, I have just spoken to the circuit and there is general access for spectating parking inside the circuit this weekend which for an old codger like me is real bonus since it's a bit of a hike from the outside car parks!
Old 30 Oct 2015, 13:23 (Ref:3586652)   #17
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
I go to Silverstone pretty regularly, but as a marshal I realise I have no idea what the general public do or where to go. Or why, if I'm honest!

I think the last time I spectated was about 1990.
Old 30 Oct 2015, 18:44 (Ref:3586718)   #18
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
I go to Silverstone pretty regularly, but as a marshal I realise I have no idea what the general public do or where to go. Or why, if I'm honest!

I think the last time I spectated was about 1990.
I'm passionate about many forms of motorsport and have been for a long, long time. I'm a season ticket holder at Brands and have spectated at many circuits both home and abroad over the years and I am eternally grateful to the marshalling fraternity for their undinted enthusiasm but as for joining you guys, I've never understood the attraction, nevertheless my hat's off to you guys. I'll give you a wave at the weekend as I stroll round
Old 30 Oct 2015, 20:00 (Ref:3586738)   #19
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
For any else enquiring about circuit parking, I have just spoken to the circuit and there is general access for spectating parking inside the circuit this weekend which for an old codger like me is real bonus since it's a bit of a hike from the outside car parks!
It is possible that you will find men in high viz jackets directing you into placed you would rather not go, but if you turn sharp left through the gates you can drive around the whole GP circuit, and pick your spot on the club layout. Should you go into the infield, it is usually easy enough to drive around rather than park in one place even if directed initially. But don't tell anyone I said so.
Old 30 Oct 2015, 20:25 (Ref:3586745)   #20
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Thanks for the good advice bauble.
Old 30 Oct 2015, 21:44 (Ref:3586774)   #21
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember that there is access into and out of the paddock area, once inside the circuit, via the tunnel under Copse, as well as the main entrance over the Wellington Straight.
Old 31 Oct 2015, 19:39 (Ref:3586943)   #22
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Good day's racing Saturday, clean and competitive, superb FFord entry and the weather played ball, first time ever that I've experienced sunshine at Silverstone!
Enjoyed the FF2000's and the wacky racers were entertaining, the DKW's had a competition of their own at the back of the field trying to see who could lift a wheel the longest through Brooklands/Luffield! Good to meet up with a couple of tententhers and put faces to names and yes Ian I am somewhat more aged than perhaps my posts /moniker suggest and I don't need reminding
Old 31 Oct 2015, 20:09 (Ref:3586951)   #23
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll go with Justracing's comments, was a great clean day's action from all the races. Really enjoyed the battle at the front of FF2000 race and the HSCC closed wheel was action none stop, just a pitty i can't get there for the finals tomorrow.

Bit info for anyone going tomorrow, the bonfire starts at 17:15 and fireworks at 18:00, also afterwards they are showing the Mexican GP in hall 5 in the Wing and it was said that there were a prize of free tickets to next years GP for the best dressed Mexican fancy dress.
Old 31 Oct 2015, 20:11 (Ref:3586954)   #24
saaben
Rookie

saaben should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes good racing in all the races and no red flags!

Cars were allowed into the circuit so we drove round to Becketts ( favourite spot in the 1970's ),then at lunch onto Stowe where we watched the drivers
doing the Silverstone Experience.

Watched all afternoon at the entry into Copse in T shirts it was that warm.

Silverstone is not my favourite circuit but watching FF's flat out takes some beating.
Old 31 Oct 2015, 20:14 (Ref:3586958)   #25
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by saaben View Post
Silverstone is not my favourite circuit but watching FF's flat out takes some beating.
Second that