Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 18 Nov 2003, 22:33 (Ref:787680)   #1
rusky26
Rookie

rusky26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
tyre allocation?

I have been wondering what to a car/team if they run out of tyres for a race round. For example, if the number of tyres allocated is 10, what happens if 8 are destroyed (from severe flatspots, blow outs or from accident damage) during practice and qualifying? or indeed during the race itself? Does this car then have to sit out the race or is there someway of getting more tyres for it? with time penalties or championship points losses or something?
Old 19 Nov 2003, 01:38 (Ref:787811)   #2
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, I suppose you have to start using your wets.
Old 19 Nov 2003, 01:38 (Ref:787812)   #3
barra
Racer

barra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They must pick the best of the bad bunch
Old 19 Nov 2003, 01:53 (Ref:787821)   #4
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just had a look at the rules, it seems that you can use old control tyres from previous rounds, however, you have to start from the back of the grid if you do this.

http://www.v8supercar.com.au/downloa...%20Final.7.pdf
section C 15.5 Replacement Tyres.
Old 19 Nov 2003, 02:02 (Ref:787823)   #5
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes, i remember HRT wanted to use extra tyres at ar ound a couple of years ago and were told by the stewards that to do so would move that car to the rear of the grid.
Old 19 Nov 2003, 02:06 (Ref:787824)   #6
HRT #1
Racer

HRT #1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As barra said they pick from a bad bunch cause once a team is allocated X sets of tyres than that team must stay within the allocated limit and use the tyres to their best advantage.
Old 19 Nov 2003, 11:34 (Ref:788065)   #7
rusky26
Rookie

rusky26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks guys
for the record I meant as totally unusable - so picking the best of a bad bunch didn't apply. cheers
Old 19 Nov 2003, 12:10 (Ref:788098)   #8
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If many of the allocated tyres are damaged before the racing begins through accidents or lock ups, then chances are you're behind the eight ball on actual pace anyway and would be starting in the mid-field or ROF anyway so tyres from previous rounds could be in better condition and a charge through the field would be a good prospect.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 19 Nov 2003, 12:12 (Ref:788101)   #9
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Add to that the benefit of percentage driving because of the points system. All would not be lost.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 19 Nov 2003, 12:42 (Ref:788137)   #10
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They should do away with tyre allocation, or at least give everyone enough tires for a fresh set for qualifying and every race (including pitstop)
Old 19 Nov 2003, 19:27 (Ref:788599)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There should still be a limit as to how many tyres that can be used on a race weekend, but tyres from previous rounds should not be available for use as it unbalances the running if the car DNF's the previous round, and has a load of new tyres to play with.

If a current allocation is 4 sets of tyres, make it 5 sets, and make those 5 sets the only tyres allowed to be run. Same for all comers in the main series.

In testing, allow 3 sets of brand new marked tyres to be used, no used tyres, just new ones, to make it fair for all. Better than using whatever is left over and trying to get meaningful data from that.

It would increase the consumption of tyres in the end, but the playing field would be even more level if teams couldnt do some magic with saving tyres for testing or practice in the next race....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 19 Nov 2003, 23:58 (Ref:788866)   #12
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting theory, but what wouldd you do with an otherwise fine set of tyres that only ran 5 or so laps before an enine exprired pulling a car from a race? seems like a waste... the eystem they have at the moment seems fine IMHO, its hte same for everyone, if you DNF well, i guess the sponsors and your championship position are going to suffer the most so i dont see that being a huge catalist for savnig a few bucks on tyres.
Old 20 Nov 2003, 00:12 (Ref:788883)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dunlop take the tyres back, and re-mark them for testing duties if they are unused. Or dare I say for use in Konica.

Its F1-like in its concept, and a clean way of making life fair... to have the teams rock up with rims at the start of the weekend, get tyres fitted, and at the end of the weekend have the rims stripped by the control tyre supplier.

Its a better idea than having 64 tyres in the complement you are allowed to keep, and hand pick one or two from a weekend's set for use in testing or what have you.
Old 20 Nov 2003, 02:28 (Ref:788968)   #14
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Quote:
Originally posted by HDTVKSS
Interesting theory, but what wouldd you do with an otherwise fine set of tyres that only ran 5 or so laps before an enine exprired pulling a car from a race? seems like a waste... the eystem they have at the moment seems fine IMHO, its hte same for everyone, if you DNF well, i guess the sponsors and your championship position are going to suffer the most so i dont see that being a huge catalist for savnig a few bucks on tyres.
Mark these tyres for use for Ride days.
Old 20 Nov 2003, 12:43 (Ref:789408)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
YAY! Good plan Gaz