Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 24 Jan 2020, 23:57 (Ref:3953222)   #26
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red Bull TV's highlights were crap today. Hardly any footage from the stages.
Old 25 Jan 2020, 09:35 (Ref:3953266)   #27
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great to see Elfyn Evans on the pace in a new car(to him), his hunched driving style seems most peculiar but he's obviously comfortable that way. Really hoping that the Welsh lad can get a decent result having been given a break this year with Toyota, that "off" for Tanak was absolutely frightening, how strong is that shell/cage?
Old 25 Jan 2020, 11:13 (Ref:3953279)   #28
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the footage OI have sen Ogier and Elfyn seem to most assured, Elfyb can certainly win this event given the breaks.

No-one else is really in it honestly! Just them and Neuville, and keep a look out for the classic Ardennes soon, I am sure Neuville will be out in his Nova again!
Old 25 Jan 2020, 17:15 (Ref:3953313)   #29
rainbow
Rookie

rainbow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year I watched WRC on freeview,Spike if I remember,but that channel seems to have been pulled so question is other than Bt where can I watch highlights this year?
At least six nations hasn,t been sold!!
Old 25 Jan 2020, 20:23 (Ref:3953412)   #30
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Itv4 are showing highlights on Tuesday at 8
Old 26 Jan 2020, 10:49 (Ref:3953670)   #31
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
Red Bull TV's highlights were crap today. Hardly any footage from the stages.
I couldn't agree more, I thought there was a mistake when I saw the timeline in the player saying 17mins. They pretty much talked about the day's action without really showing any stage footage. The sort of clips they showed as the sort you'll find on most mainstream channels showing brief clips of the rally in their sports round-up. I wonder if they weren't allowed to or couldn't show any proper footage from Thursday and Friday. Very odd.
Old 26 Jan 2020, 10:50 (Ref:3953671)   #32
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Itv4 are showing highlights on Tuesday at 8
Awesome, thank you.
Old 26 Jan 2020, 11:30 (Ref:3953679)   #33
hoffman66
Racer

Am trying to watch it live but the Nigerian streams are so woeful it is not worth it endless buffering.
Old 26 Jan 2020, 13:41 (Ref:3953733)   #34
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
I couldn't agree more, I thought there was a mistake when I saw the timeline in the player saying 17mins. They pretty much talked about the day's action without really showing any stage footage. The sort of clips they showed as the sort you'll find on most mainstream channels showing brief clips of the rally in their sports round-up. I wonder if they weren't allowed to or couldn't show any proper footage from Thursday and Friday. Very odd.
I'm wondering too what's happened. It was always a decent programme with highlights, analysis, etc
They need to show more free to air coverage, not reduce it. A mistake if it's their policy to try to get people to pay to watch All Live......rallying simply isn't a big enough sport. And we wonder why teams can't find sponsors.....
Old 26 Jan 2020, 13:45 (Ref:3953742)   #35
hoffman66
Racer

Sadly Alex, this is the way sport is going, it's all about money even for coverage. The event this weekend was spectacular, full of incident.

I think rallying is simply just a spectator sport, not a tv on.
Old 27 Jan 2020, 09:13 (Ref:3953966)   #36
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Red Bull highlights weren't great, but the timing is still available and there has been a ton of great footage pop up on You Tube over the weekend, so I have been watching that.

Will check out the ITV4 coverage tomorrow. Decent event to kick the year off with, incredible surge from Neuville yesterday and a very impressive start to the year for Evans.
Old 27 Jan 2020, 09:32 (Ref:3953972)   #37
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Decent event to kick the year off with, incredible surge from Neuville yesterday and a very impressive start to the year for Evans.
Impressive stuff to start the season - Ogier, Evans and Neuville all squabbling over position (and I assume Tanak will be up there with them too). As expected the M-Sport guys were a bit off the pace (and they didn't get off to a great start did they?). Citroen who?
Old 27 Jan 2020, 09:58 (Ref:3953974)   #38
hoffman66
Racer

Have to admit the way I keep up now is youtube and ewrc, by far the quickest least intrusive and annoying ways to find out what is going on.
Old 16 Feb 2020, 19:56 (Ref:3957849)   #39
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tragic weather for the Swedish round but what can one do? I'm glad they still decided to run it, despite being markably chopped off. Hopefully this won't be an issue next year.

Great drive by Evans, he is a championship contender for sure now. Rovanperä with a maybe even more impressive drive for his young age, especially on the very tricky powerstage with mud, gravel and ice. I think Neuville got severely hampered going first on friday and didn't seem to really find the rythm afterwards.
Old 17 Feb 2020, 09:28 (Ref:3957950)   #40
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
Tragic weather for the Swedish round but what can one do? I'm glad they still decided to run it, despite being markably chopped off. Hopefully this won't be an issue next year.
Yeah, glad they managed to salvage something from it: was definitely a mixed bag of conditions!

Quote:
Great drive by Evans, he is a championship contender for sure now. Rovanperä with a maybe even more impressive drive for his young age, especially on the very tricky powerstage with mud, gravel and ice. I think Neuville got severely hampered going first on friday and didn't seem to really find the rythm afterwards.
I am still hesitant to call Evans a title contender this early: though it is impossible to deny that his performance wasn't superb this weekend. And Kalle was incredible on the power stage. As you say Neuville seemed slow to get going and, by the time he was up to speed, the rally was over!

Solid drive from Tanak, a good result for him after the Monte smash. I see a few comments stating that Ogier is struggling in the Yaris but, given his past performance(s), I wonder if he is just playing the long game and accruing points?
Old 17 Feb 2020, 09:48 (Ref:3957957)   #41
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, glad they managed to salvage something from it: was definitely a mixed bag of conditions!
A real shame - Sweden is one of my favourite rounds and this year it was a shadow of itself. Glad that they managed to run something but it just wasn't a 'proper' Swedish rally without the snowbanks.

Quote:
Great drive by Evans, he is a championship contender for sure now.
Quote:
I am still hesitant to call Evans a title contender this early: though it is impossible to deny that his performance wasn't superb this weekend.
Great drive from Evans, he seemed pretty relaxed all weekend and certainly seemed to be in control.

Quote:
... As you say Neuville seemed slow to get going and, by the time he was up to speed, the rally was over!

Solid drive from Tanak, a good result for him after the Monte smash. I see a few comments stating that Ogier is struggling in the Yaris but, given his past performance(s), I wonder if he is just playing the long game and accruing points?
The championship looks pretty open this year - Neuville, Tanak, Evans and Ogier all in with a good shout. I'd rule Rovanpera out purely on experience - he has the speed but you'd expect some mistakes over the course of the year that will cost him. The Fiesta looks to be off the pace so we can rule Suninen and Lappi out of the fight.
Old 17 Feb 2020, 12:12 (Ref:3957991)   #42
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
The Fiesta looks to be off the pace so we can rule Suninen and Lappi out of the fight.
Sadly. The Fiesta is still my favourite looking car in the field but, other than an odd podium or two, I can't see M-Sport posing much of a threat to the Championship this year.

Agree about Rovenpera: I am expecting to see him bend a Yaris or two this year, though perhaps we are underestimating him.
Old 17 Feb 2020, 13:14 (Ref:3958007)   #43
hoffman66
Racer

Still do not understand the tyre rules on this event, it is clear a lot of those stages had minimum ice, some were pure gravel on the clips I have seen, surely running studs there is idiotic, and will cut up the road even more?
Old 17 Feb 2020, 19:21 (Ref:3958051)   #44
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffman66 View Post
Still do not understand the tyre rules on this event, it is clear a lot of those stages had minimum ice, some were pure gravel on the clips I have seen, surely running studs there is idiotic, and will cut up the road even more?
Usually studs are the right call for Sweden - but the warm weather this year obviously caused problems. The studded tyres were the only ones available to the teams so they just had to make the best of it. I suspect the tyres were part of the reason the route was changed so much. I do wonder if gravel tyres were a viable option - on the sections where it was ice and snow they'd not have been much use so probably not.
Old 18 Feb 2020, 11:23 (Ref:3958194)   #45
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a winter event (well supposedly) so studded tyres are the selection. No chance of using gravel tyres, which is why the non snow/ice stages were cancelled.

They just about got away with it - and awarded full points for about 1 hour of competitive action.
Old 19 Feb 2020, 11:22 (Ref:3958466)   #46
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Watched the highlights last night. They did well to make the most of what was a truncated event. Great drive by Evans, he’s already looking good for the rest of the season. Maybe he’s not as quick as Meeke was, but certainly has the consistency

Great drive by Rovanpera too, despite the occasional moment of inexperience, he still did well to get that result
Old 19 Feb 2020, 16:21 (Ref:3958521)   #47
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Great drive by Evans, he’s already looking good for the rest of the season. Maybe he’s not as quick as Meeke was, but certainly has the consistency
I'm not sure of Evans' pace relative to Meeke - it's a tough one to determine as they've not been in the same car but I wouldn't have said Evans was much slower (if at all). Evans definitely looks less error prone though - Meeke was always on the absolute ragged edge and never far from a colossal shunt (much like his mentor - although Meeke never reached the same heights).
Old 19 Feb 2020, 16:29 (Ref:3958524)   #48
S griffin
Veteran

I’d say Meeke had more natural pace, whereas Evans is fast and controlled
Old 19 Feb 2020, 18:54 (Ref:3958557)   #49
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd pick Evans any day over Meeke. Heck, Evans has already scored double the podiums over Meeke in the Yaris. He even finished before Meeke in the standings last year despite missing three events while also being in an arguably lesser car.
Old 19 Feb 2020, 20:02 (Ref:3958578)   #50
hoffman66
Racer

The problem with Meeke always was he was over the limit to be on the pace, and a crash was ALWAYS likely just like Latvala. Evans is the new breed and clearly is showing some pace that was hidden the past few years.

I suspect he has adapted to the Yaris better initially, certainly better than Ogier and Kalle is also showing good adaptation too, but I expected him to go well here, he is a Finn after all.

Also Tanak does not seem at east yet with the Hyundai, so Evans is taking advantage of all of those things. Neuville I still suspect is the biggest threat, these last two events are obscure in many ways, so too early yet to draw straws.