Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Mar 2009, 00:23 (Ref:2406321)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In the beginning...

... the real beginning...

Amaroo Park 1993 Race 1 Rnd 1 Here

Isnt the #17 car sideways for a lot of the lap... while the HRT car of Mr Mezera looked very composed... 2 wheeling up the hill...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 1 Mar 2009, 00:29 (Ref:2406326)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Amaroo Park 1993 Race 2 Rnd 1 Here

Terry Finnigan was very quick that weekend... while Mr Pearson smacked his VP into the wall.. causing a red flag... cant see if he was in the car a the time though
Old 1 Mar 2009, 00:38 (Ref:2406332)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
1993 Round 2 Race 1 Symmons Plains Here

Take a squiz at the character references being shared at the end..

1993 Round 2 Race 2 Symmons Plains Here
Old 1 Mar 2009, 01:03 (Ref:2406335)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Round 3 Race 1 Phillip Island Here

Round 3 Race 2 Phillip Island Here
Old 1 Mar 2009, 01:41 (Ref:2406353)   #5
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Any supporters with Nissan flags at these rounds perchance?
Old 1 Mar 2009, 02:03 (Ref:2406358)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Nissans were long gone by then... abolished from the main class for building a better mousetrap... and spending more than the other 2 car makers on making these cars winners.... [/rant]
Old 1 Mar 2009, 02:24 (Ref:2406363)   #7
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

1st one, wrong link
Old 1 Mar 2009, 02:32 (Ref:2406365)   #8
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Thanks for that GTR, i had tears and a stiffy at the same time.
Old 1 Mar 2009, 02:34 (Ref:2406367)   #9
Holly Wood
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
Holly Wood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Nissans were long gone by then... abolished from the main class for building a better mousetrap... and spending more than the other 2 car makers on making these cars winners.... [/rant]
Yeah, it's such a shame that multi-million dollar 4WD Japanese sports cars aren't allowed in touring car racing anymore.
Old 1 Mar 2009, 02:34 (Ref:2406369)   #10
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First Race...First Lap...First Corner...

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 1 Mar 2009, 03:05 (Ref:2406377)   #11
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was only watching my videos of the 93 season around Xmas. The Winton round was a cracker as well!
Old 1 Mar 2009, 03:22 (Ref:2406379)   #12
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

...Brocky in the office at Symmons Plains...

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 1 Mar 2009, 03:37 (Ref:2406386)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Wood View Post
Yeah, it's such a shame that multi-million dollar 4WD Japanese sports cars aren't allowed in touring car racing anymore.
As opposed to the multi-million dollar Scottish VE Commodores or British FG Falcons?
Old 1 Mar 2009, 03:54 (Ref:2406390)   #14
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
As opposed to the multi-million dollar Scottish VE Commodores or British FG Falcons?
I hear the FG likes English weather and cold tar. How that relates to Oz has got me buggered.
Old 1 Mar 2009, 04:05 (Ref:2406394)   #15
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yeah the HSV VN SS Group A SV was SOOOOOO much cheaper than a Nissan GT-R on the shelves...

Why does nobody ever point out that when Group A was at lowest ebb in 91/92 were we in the grips of the 'recession we had to have'? Just like in 1980 when the Group C grids were actually smaller than the Group A grids?
Old 1 Mar 2009, 06:33 (Ref:2406412)   #16
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The Bathurst 12 Hour does seem to show the best road going saloon style sporty cars are from Japan, and have active differentials and the like... In principle touring cars are meant to sort out the best road going saloon cars in a similar fashion.. just with more extensive race modifications surely?

The winner will be the best saloon car whether they be Minis, Jaguars, Nissans, Mitsubishis, Camaros, Falcons, Volvos or Mustangs?

Such a tussle could continue right up until the rules are changed to a controlled class tailored to the local fans 'taste' like Nascar, DTM, Japan GT, Super Touring, V8 Supercars etc surely? Then the German fans get their modestly powered cars made of carbon fibre that go around corners quickly, Japanese fans get cars with big downforce and huge turbos, American fans get big horsepower and close racing in ill-handling cars, British fans get the push and shove repmobile cup spectacular, and Aussies get some sort of mixture of less-tech than Super Touring cars with not the full Nascar bravado under the bonnet.. and all the fans are chuffed.
Old 1 Mar 2009, 11:47 (Ref:2406572)   #17
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Oh to be able to lipread better......
Old 2 Mar 2009, 09:34 (Ref:2407200)   #18
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ummm. I'm confused.

"In the real beginning" suggests that this shows footage of the new all-V8 Supercar series beginning.

But it has BMW's and other class cars in it.
Old 2 Mar 2009, 09:51 (Ref:2407209)   #19
dazza027
Racer

dazza027 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You probably werent around back then. The then all new 5.0L formula was put together to replace the Grp A's, which by then were completely stuffed cos everyone was sick of the techno-mobile Nissans winning everything. Cams sort to dumb things down a bit and go a little retro and evoke some passion of old and re introduce the whole Holden V Ford that was massive in the 70's and early 80's. The BMW's were included as an uinder 2.0l class basically to fill out the grid if anything, it was very unlikely that they were ever going to contend for outright honours however if memory serves, Tony Longhurst came close a few times on the tight and twisty tracks and may even have won something or rather at somestage but hey, it was only a BMW buzz box and therefore not many real men got excited by that. (Sorry BMW people). I think it stayed more or less like this for a year or two until they decided (or maybe Tony Longhurst decided, because he was sick of being hosed in a straight line all the time) that the 4 bangers had to go, and so they did. And thats when V8 Supercar was born.
In all honesty thats the way the main series is going to go in the future. It wont stay Holden V Ford forever, times are changing, peoples tastes evolve (and devolve) and I reckon that somewhere along the line Cocko is going to realise that the V8's just dont have the same pull as they used to. Bathurst will always be ruled by the V8 as to me thats its spiritual home in Australia, but sooner or later their just going to have to mix it up a bit and chuck those spare GT3 Porches and the exotics in together with the V8's with a 44 car grid. Id pay to go see that.
Old 2 Mar 2009, 10:19 (Ref:2407229)   #20
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was around back then and understand all that.

I was just pointing out that it wasn't really the start of the new single-category V8 supercars, that's all, when it also contained non-V8's competing.
Old 2 Mar 2009, 10:45 (Ref:2407258)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
I was around back then and understand all that.

I was just pointing out that it wasn't really the start of the new single-category V8 supercars, that's all, when it also contained non-V8's competing.
It was the beginning... where any turbocharged car was consigned to the scrapheap, and TEGA toyed with the 2 Litre class in its midst.

Also included were the grandfathered BMW M3's.. which got a mega commitment from Amatil (as it was then) for 4 cars, for Mr Morris & Mr Full (Diet Coke) and for Mr Longhurst & Mr Blanchard (B&H)

No GT-R's, No Sierras, No Supras... Holden Vs Ford... plus some buzzing hornets... that were eliminated from competition at that season's end.

It is the beginning...
Old 2 Mar 2009, 13:21 (Ref:2407352)   #22
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The death of group A had nothing to do with Ford, Holden, CAMS or anyone else in Australia, the category was already dead overseas & Australia couldn't go it alone & they could only keep going with the same old cars for so long so a change of rules was necessary.
The original idea was for the V8s to run to a parity style formula with the 2 litres so Australia could still have it's own race cars as we had nothing that suited but for various reasons they didn't want to play so the V8s got left out & had to go it alone.
Old 2 Mar 2009, 14:26 (Ref:2407394)   #23
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The original Mike Raymond-vision of it all also never included it being for Fords & Holdens only.

Infact the 2L cars were still welcome in the ATCC in 1994 (Steve Ellery ran his Sierra at Amaroo), it was their choice to go and race by themselves.

The first time you could argue that is was 'V8Supercar' Fords and Holdens only is 1996, as late as Symmons Plains 1995 VL Walkinshaw's were still competing.

But back to the point, this was the day you could say the current farce (in my opinion ) started
Old 5 Mar 2009, 03:10 (Ref:2409277)   #24
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY View Post
The original idea was for the V8s to run to a parity style formula with the 2 litres so Australia could still have it's own race cars as we had nothing that suited but for various reasons they didn't want to play so the V8s got left out & had to go it alone.
Other way around. Ford and Holden did not want to compete in a parity formula against the 2 litres, because they were seen as lesser in the market place and therefore should not be seen as equal on the racetrack. Holden and Ford wanted the Falcons and Commodores to be faster than the 2 litres.

The 2 litre guys didn't want to be cannon fodder, so in 1994 they struck out on their own.
Old 5 Mar 2009, 09:22 (Ref:2409330)   #25
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Richards View Post
Oh to be able to lipread better......
The version with audio was shown on Sports Sunday or Wide World of Sports during a story on Alan Jones. With appropriate bleeping of course.