Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Jul 2004, 13:56 (Ref:1023737)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ligier back in business....!

Although not 'strictly' an F1 story, (I've rapped my own knuckles) I thought I would post it here, as it's an evocative name from the F1 past.

Guy Ligier has bought a major stake in the Martini racing car constructor and will be producing formula cars, initially for race schools, but Martini used to be a strong competitor in the junior formuale so maybe the future is there?

Also involved is another blast from the F1 past, and well known from his Reynard days - one Rick Gorne. The car sounds a bit 'tidy' too.

"The first new car which is to be called the Ligier MK84, has been developed under the direct responsibility of Tico Martini. It is a brand-new concept of inexpensive racing car design combining a very stiff and strong carbon monocoque with six-speed semi-automatic sequential F1-type gearbox with steering wheel-mounted paddle shift, and inexpensive standard parts to ensure minimal maintenance costs."
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns13164.html
Old 2 Jul 2004, 14:00 (Ref:1023740)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Theres some speculation Ligier-Martini may do an F3 car next year.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 14:27 (Ref:1023760)   #3
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Are there any pictures available of this new car?
Old 2 Jul 2004, 14:35 (Ref:1023766)   #4
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
small acorns
who knows if F1 ever becomes a sensibly priced (that's a relative term of course ) we may see that name gracing F1 grids...Laffite and the Ligier were firm favourites of mine in the late 70's

Last edited by PaulSands; 2 Jul 2004 at 14:37.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 15:10 (Ref:1023802)   #5
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good to see someone of his former standing once again involved in producing racing cars. You never know, Ligier may once again grace the F1 grids in the future.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 01:40 (Ref:1024235)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I hope so , I liked the Ligier team and Im sure he would be welcomed back with open arms , but he has a long road ahead of him if thats his plan
Old 3 Jul 2004, 08:41 (Ref:1024476)   #7
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
If my old and failing mind is correct Martini had an F1 car in the '70s with one R.Arnoux doing the steering.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 08:58 (Ref:1024490)   #8
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Armco Bender
If my old and failing mind is correct Martini had an F1 car in the '70s with one R.Arnoux doing the steering.
It did and it was a piece of junk. The guy that has run ORECA for years was the team manager.
Old 3 Jul 2004, 10:14 (Ref:1024539)   #9
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
SFonseca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Theres some speculation Ligier-Martini may do an F3 car next year.
They will do
Old 3 Jul 2004, 10:47 (Ref:1024548)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's good news then!
Old 5 Jul 2004, 02:00 (Ref:1026287)   #11
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mountainstar
It did and it was a piece of junk. The guy that has run ORECA for years was the team manager.
You say Hughes de Chaunac???
Old 5 Jul 2004, 09:15 (Ref:1026456)   #12
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
define inexpensive, certainly not paddle shift gear systems

Good news to see more constructors though..maybe knock down the prices of others cars if they produce some good cars.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 09:46 (Ref:1026476)   #13
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It did and it was a piece of junk. The guy that has run ORECA for years was the team manager
That would be 78, not a good year to start a new F1 team as the ground effect revolution was just starting.

There is a brief history of the team here Martini[/URL]Martini

Last edited by Nordic; 5 Jul 2004 at 09:47.
Old 7 Jul 2004, 05:42 (Ref:1028790)   #14
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I miss Ligier! #26 will always mean Ligier to me. That team was the best little team ever, something F1 is missing. I guess Jordan is close.