Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 13 Apr 2006, 18:00 (Ref:1580573)   #1
BSA Susie
Racer

United Kingdom
Southampton
BSA Susie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC in Southampton City Centre

I have just opened my local freebie newspaper to read that Southampton City Council wants to bring the BTCC to the city centre on 1st June, in an F1 in London style stunt. However they need to rasie private sponsorship, so it may not happen but 1st June is not far away so they must have some plans in place.

Have any marshalling clubs been approached to officiate this, if it happens? I'ld love to do it as I live within walking distance from the town centre.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 18:35 (Ref:1580606)   #2
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
I would suspect BARC would do this, seeing their HQ is less than 30 miles away, and they run/officiate the BTCC meetings anyway.

Steve
Old 13 Apr 2006, 20:11 (Ref:1580678)   #3
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They covered the Bournemouth Rally last month
Old 13 Apr 2006, 20:23 (Ref:1580683)   #4
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They did similar publicity in Newcastle, Milton Keynes & Edinburgh(?) last year, not much marshalling required, more crowd control.

Al.
Old 13 Apr 2006, 22:03 (Ref:1580785)   #5
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Exactly, as Alan said they've done it before....wonder *exactly* where there'd run it...would like to see, hometown and all.

Last time I believe they just put up plastic barriers so it would be more about crowd control.
Old 15 Apr 2006, 10:40 (Ref:1582778)   #6
BSA Susie
Racer

United Kingdom
Southampton
Cheers for all your replies guys & girls.
There must be some professional car pushers needed though! Knowing Soton city council they will pay a fortune for security guys for the crowd!

Suze's home town is Soton? That's why I keep getting mistaken for you!
Old 15 Apr 2006, 21:59 (Ref:1583110)   #7
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
lol maybe...! But no-one calls me Susie
Old 15 Apr 2006, 22:38 (Ref:1583138)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Green
They did similar publicity in Newcastle, Milton Keynes & Edinburgh(?) last year, not much marshalling required, more crowd control.

Al.

Well they had a display over the Forth Road Bridge, but nothing along the lines of Newcastle or Milton Keynes.

MN says this week they are probably having a city centre display in Edinburgh this year though.
Old 15 Apr 2006, 22:41 (Ref:1583141)   #9
Suze
Veteran

England
I quite liked the idea of the Forth Road Bridge though....
Old 11 May 2006, 11:54 (Ref:1605909)   #10
BSA Susie
Racer

United Kingdom
Southampton
Todays freebie paper says it is not going ahead as they would break the 30 mph speed limit!

..officials at the Department of Transport blocked the event, saying the 30mph speed limit in the city's streets could not be lifted.
The city council would face prosecution if any exception to the rules were made for the sporting spectacle.

So how did F1 do London? That's were the DofT's offices are!
Old 11 May 2006, 12:43 (Ref:1605949)   #11
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why don't Plato, Neal and Turkington hijack a jet, land as close to S'ton as they can get and claim that their basic human rights are being violated by a 'raceist' local council?
Seems to work for every other bu88er these days
Old 11 May 2006, 20:17 (Ref:1606273)   #12
Boo Boo
Rookie

Isle of Man
Boo Boo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSA Susie
Todays freebie paper says it is not going ahead as they would break the 30 mph speed limit!

..officials at the Department of Transport blocked the event, saying the 30mph speed limit in the city's streets could not be lifted.
The city council would face prosecution if any exception to the rules were made for the sporting spectacle.

So how did F1 do London? That's were the DofT's offices are!

You have answered your own question. Alan Gow has not paid into the Labour party funds unlike Bernie.
Old 11 May 2006, 20:23 (Ref:1606281)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSA Susie

Jeez I really despair about this country's paranoia over speed..... and slavish adherence to rules and regulations which could easily be adjusted for an event of this nature. I'd be interested though to learn what offence SCC would commit though - permitting speeding offences? As somone with a connection with the local Court, it could be quite interesting......